[Today at 12:59:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East in the Post Jay Wright Era  (Read 4603 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Big East in the Post Jay Wright Era
« on: April 22, 2022, 08:48:19 PM »
The big question is how will the Big East fare in the post Jay Wright era?

Villanova has done an incredible job of lifting the fortunes of the entire league since its most recent formation. Nova under Wright was conference regular season winner, or BET winner in every year of the New Big East. Their program was consistently in top 5 , many times number 1 in the rankings. The tournament record speaks for itself.  Villanova, while not a blue blood per se, was as close as could be in this time frame.

The net result of all of this success was The Big East had a solid flagship program that kept the national spotlight on the league. Moreover, it gave every team in the conference a shot at two very high quality wins each year. Their success forced the rest of the league to up their game. As a result we have an incredible string of multi bid tournament seasons , the worst being 4 teams and as high as 7.   

In general I think a lot of teams are poised to step up and fill the gap. Non conference play is going to crucial as always.  Here is how I see the Big East over the next 3-5 years:

Nova -Coach Neptune has the advantage of working at the side of Jay Wright for 8 years, got a year of credible experience as a Head Coach, and for the most part has been part of the recruitment of almost every player on the roster. Only time will tell if he can retain the culture and style of play. My guess is if he gets out of the box strong next year, recruiting will continue to be strong. Realistically though, I think Nova is now more like a top 15 type program just because it is hard to replace a legend.

X I think of all the schools in our league , X is best poised to take their program up a level. X has a strong history over the last 35 years, they have proven they can get to the Elite 8  under Sean Miller and Chris Mack . Sean Miller had the ability to get Arizona to the Elite 8 several times and I think he is poised to be making Final Four runs. Travis Steele did a lousy job coaching but he did keep a pipeline of decent talent coming in, so even  though the program went down a notch on his watch, I think Miller can bring it back up and X can exceed their prior trend. The NIT win helped keep their rabid fan base happy .

U-ConnU Conn coming back to the Big East helped both U - Conn and the rest of the league. Coach Hurley has got the program back on the right direction. The U Conn name still counts for a lot in Northeast recruiting circles. I have some questions if Hurley can take the program much beyond where it is at right now. However, I think they are going to be a solid top 25 type team with consistent tournament invites.

Creighton Greg McDermott has survived The Plantation incident, and earned a new contract after two years of decent tournament performance. He has shown the ability over time to mix high school recruits and transfers in a playing style that players love. I think Creighton will continue to be in the mix for a tournament bid every year. The years when their roster is older, they can make a run. Their fan support is incredible and shows no sign of abating.

MU Shaka is doing a solid job of building the roster so as not to be dependent on grad transfers to fill holes. We have seen the early success when his system is firing on all cylinders . As he keeps recruiting we will see more upside. MU should consistently be in the mix for a tournament bid, and with improved rosters the possibility to make some noise.

Cooley & Company Now is Cooley's time to take advantage of his solid performance this year. His squads hang around the bubble ever year, maybe he can take it to the next level with better recruiting after this years solid performance. At a minimum he will be the unofficial Dean of Big East Coaches now that Wright has retired.

The Hall- Coach Willard did a solid job with not a lot to work with asset wise. He turned that performance into a Big Ten job for himself. I think Coach Hollaway , with his Seton Hall pedigree, and experience in a gritty league, is the perfect successor. My guess is The Hall will continue to pick up some very strong local talent and supplement with foreign as has been their strategy. Should continue to be in the tournament mix .

The JohnniesCoach Anderson has not been able to take the team into the tournament. The problem is talent.  So he has to keep finding under the radar players like Champagnie and Posh. Getting local talent that wants to stay in the area is hard with U Conn, The Hall and Rutgers being able to make the same claim on that talent. Sounds strange to say, but The Johnnies had better talent in the last year of Mullin and seemed more poised to take off then than they do now. Nonetheless, The Johnnies will continue to be a very tenacious conference opponent, that teams will lose to if they have an off night. 

ButlerCoach Matta is back. Butler has shown they can periodically compete at a high level in the league and even win a tournament game. However, they need intense roster help right now as Coach Jordan had a couple bad years in a row recruiting wise . For as good a coach that Matta is, this is still the Big East and a 20 game gauntlet of tough teams. Over time the talent rises in this league. If the coach can cobble together a roster and X and O his way to a strong season somewhere along the line Butler  may get the momentum needed. The reportedly smallest budget in the conference will not help.

DePaulCoach Stubblefield has a lot of enthusiasm. However, no signs of traction. DePaul is not the worst program in The Big East, however it has a long way to go before it can compete in the top half of this league. Another team not to be taken lightly.

Georgetown It remains to be seen what Coach Ewing can come up with out of the portal this season. His problem has not been coaching in the game, he just can't keep a roster together. Until Georgetown gets a new coach, it is hard to see the program gaining traction.  Although it is possible a more competitive roster can be put together in the short run, which could create some wins in league play, which would actually not help anyone's cause.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 08:48:22 AM by Herman Cain »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: Big East in the Post Jay Wright Era
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 09:20:32 PM »

Villanova has done an incredible job of lifting the fortunes of the entire league since its most recent formation. Nova under Wright was conference regular season winner, or BET winner in every year of the New Big East. Their program was consistently in top 5 , many times number 1 in the rankings. The tournament record speaks for itself.  Villanova, while not a blue blood per se, was as close as could be in this time frame.

The net result of all of this success was The Big East had a solid flagship program that kept the national spotlight on the league. Moreover, it gave every team in the conference a shot at two very high quality wins each year. Their success forced the rest of the league to up their game. As a result we have an incredible string of multi bid tournament seasons , the worst being 4 teams and as high as 7.   

In general I think a lot of teams are poised to step up and fill the gap. Non conference play is going to crucial as always.  Here is how I see the Big East over the next 3-5 years:

Nova -Coach Neptune has the advantage of working at the side of Jay Wright for 8 years, got a year of credible experience as a Head Coach, and for the most part has been part of the recruitment of almost every player on the roster. Only time will tell if he can retain the culture and style of play. My guess is if he gets out of the box strong next year, recruiting will continue to be strong. Realistically though, I think Nova is now more like a top 15 type program just because it is hard to replace a legend.

X I think of all the schools in our league , X is best poised to take their program up a level. X has a strong history over the last 35 years, they have proven they can get to the Elite 8  under Sean Miller and Chris Mack . Sean Miller had the ability to get Arizona to the Elite 8 several times and I think he is poised to be making Final Four runs. Travis Steele did a lousy job coaching but he did keep a pipeline of decent talent coming in, so even  though the program went down a notch on his watch, I think Miller can bring it back up and X can exceed their prior trend. The NIT win helped keep their rabid fan base happy .

U-ConnU Conn coming back to the Big East helped both U - Conn and the rest of the league. Coach Hurley has got the program back on the right direction. The U Conn name still counts for a lot in Northeast recruiting circles. I have some questions if Hurley can take the program much beyond where it is at right now. However, I think they are going to be a solid top 25 type team with consistent tournament invites.

Creighton Doug McDermott has survived The Plantation incident, and earned a new contract after two years of decent tournament performance. He has shown the ability over time to mix high school recruits and transfers in a playing style that players love. I think Creighton will continue to be in the mix for a tournament bid every year. The years when their roster is older, they can make a run. Their fan support is incredible and shows no sign of abating.

MU Shaka is doing a solid job of building the roster so as not to be dependent on grad transfers to fill holes. We have seen the early success when his system is firing on all cylinders . As he keeps recruiting we will see more upside. MU should consistently be in the mix for a tournament bid, and with improved rosters the possibility to make some noise.

Cooley & Company Now is Cooley's time to take advantage of his solid performance this year. His squads hang around the bubble ever year, maybe he can take it to the next level with better recruiting after this years solid performance. At a minimum he will be the unofficial Dean of Big East Coaches now that Wright has retired.

The Hall- Coach Willard did a solid job with not a lot to work with asset wise. He turned that performance into a Big Ten job for himself. I think Coach Hollaway , with his Seton Hall pedigree, and experience in a gritty league, is the perfect successor. My guess is The Hall will continue to pick up some very strong local talent and supplement with foreign as has been their strategy. Should continue to be in the tournament mix .

The JohnniesCoach Anderson has not been able to take the team into the tournament. The problem is talent.  So he has to keep finding under the radar players like Champagnie and Posh. Getting local talent that wants to stay in the area is hard with U Conn, The Hall and Rutgers being able to make the same claim on that talent. Sounds strange to say, but The Johnnies had better talent in the last year of Mullin and seemed more poised to take off then than they do now. Nonetheless, The Johnnies will continue to be a very tenacious conference opponent, that teams will lose to if they have an off night. 

ButlerCoach Matta is back. Butler has shown they can periodically compete at a high level in the league and even win a tournament game. However, they need intense roster help right now as Coach Jordan had a couple bad years in a row recruiting wise . For as good a coach that Matta is, this is still the Big East and a 20 game gauntlet of tough teams. Over time the talent rises in this league. If the coach can cobble together a roster and X and O his way to a strong season somewhere along the line Butler  may get the momentum needed. The reportedly smallest budget in the conference will not help.

DePaulCoach Littlefield has a lot of enthusiasm. However, no signs of traction. DePaul is not the worst program in The Big East, however it has a long way to go before it can compete in the top half of this league. Another team not to be taken lightly.

Georgetown It remains to be seen what Coach Ewing can come up with out of the portal this season. His problem has not been coaching in the game, he just can't keep a roster together. Until Georgetown gets a new coach, it is hard to see the program gaining traction.  Although it is possible a more competitive roster can be put together in the short run, which could create some wins in league play, which would actually not help anyone's cause.

If DePaul has two head coaches, that’s pretty gnarly
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 09:32:43 PM »
If DePaul has two head coaches, that’s pretty gnarly
Correction noted
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 08:30:39 AM »
Thanks for the writeup Herman.  I'm impressed by Creighton's consistent ability to overcome key injuries and sometimes irritated by how quickly they reload year after year.  Doug Greg McDermott has a gift.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 08:48:43 AM »
Thanks for the writeup Herman.  I'm impressed by Creighton's consistent ability to overcome key injuries and sometimes irritated by how quickly they reload year after year.  Doug Greg McDermott has a gift.
correction noted
                       ---Al McGuire

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2022, 12:53:04 PM »
I'm impressed annoyed by Creighton's consistent ability to overcome key injuries and sometimes irritated by how quickly they reload year after year. 

FIFY.  It absolutely kills me that "we let Creighton in to the Big East" and they routinely have better outcomes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2022, 04:02:59 PM »
The Big East will be fine. A few years back, it survived a lot bigger challenge than a coach leaving.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 04:06:32 PM »
The Big East will be fine. A few years back, it survived a lot bigger challenge than a coach leaving.

Agreed. The fact that Sean Miller, Thad Matta, and Shaka Smart have all entered the league in the past year or so tells you the Big East isn't going anywhere. If anything, the Big East is just going to be more competitive than it was since the start of the New Big East.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2022, 11:53:59 AM »
From this weekend's New Haven Register.

UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley on Big East’s more diverse coaching roster: ‘Long overdue’
by David Borges
May 19, 2022
Updated: May 19, 2022 5:37 p.m.
https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/article/uconn-mens-basketball-big-east-coaching-roster-17182433.php

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2022, 04:08:42 PM »

Creighton Greg McDermott has survived The Plantation incident, and earned a new contract after two years of decent tournament performance. He has shown the ability over time to mix high school recruits and transfers in a playing style that players love. I think Creighton will continue to be in the mix for a tournament bid every year. The years when their roster is older, they can make a run. Their fan support is incredible and shows no sign of abating.

DePaulCoach Stubblefield has a lot of enthusiasm. However, no signs of traction. DePaul is not the worst program in The Big East, however it has a long way to go before it can compete in the top half of this league. Another team not to be taken lightly.

The 22-23 Big East. According to John Rothstein.

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1530610118882168833?s=21&t=XyhtAYupi7PJDvKGQgU_-g

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 12:15:36 PM »
A few Big East nuggets in the latest "mailbag" by The Athletic's Eamonn Brennan:

What are reasonable expectations for Thad Matta’s return to coaching at Butler? Ohio State fans were made to understand that his health is what really impacted his ability to recruit and coach during his last few years in Columbus. Are these issues largely in the past? If so do you think he’s got the ability to recruit at that elite level again?

By all accounts, Matta is feeling much better these days, and much more willing to really hop back into coaching all the way, which is why he made himself available for the Butler job. How much his health matters is up for debate, but it was clearly a big limiter toward the end of his Ohio State tenure. Anyone who suffers from chronic pain, as my father did — especially someone as ritualistically active as a basketball coach — would probably tell you it makes a big difference in every aspect of day-to-day life.

Still, the thing here is that it kind of doesn’t matter. If Matta is even 75 percent as good at Butler as he was during his OSU heyday, that will represent a huge improvement for the Bulldogs — including yearly NCAA Tournament appearances and possibly even some Big East title contention, the likes of which the program hasn’t consistently managed of late. You’re probably not going to get Evan Turner and Jared Sullinger types on a consistent basis at Butler, because it’s a different animal in Columbus, but if Matta can get back to even some partial version of his peak, he’s going to have that program, by its own standards, humming.

Was any of the Gonzaga-to-the-Big-East rumor earlier this spring true? With BYU on its way out do the Zags need to move to a bigger conference at some point?

Gonzaga doesn’t need to do anything. Mark Few has built a national powerhouse program in the West Coast Conference, a world-conquering process which began long before BYU showed up. The WCC has been a happy home for Gonzaga.

That said, the whole Gonzaga-in-the-Big-East thing at least seems like it has been the subject of some tangible discussion, along the lines of “Well, we are located in Spokane, Wash., which is an entire continent away from most of your current league, so … yeah. How does that work? Any thoughts there?” And the answer, thus far, has been “Not sure, but let’s workshop it.” If there was a way to make it work logistically that didn’t seem totally ludicrous, it seems like the kind of thing both parties would be really interested in. But the sell is pretty hard, verging on impossible, unless something really drastic and weird (like the formation of very western half of a new national “Big East”) happens. I’m not sure the league would want to go that far. It’s got a pretty good thing going as is.

With Coach Wright gone, can Villanova still be close to what it was the past decade, or is it back to what it’s traditionally been – a pretty good program that surprises people every now and then but isn’t really relevant?

The answer, of course, is that we don’t know. My hunch is that there is a certain programmatic inertia that takes root at places that are as good as long as Jay Wright was at Villanova. You don’t just lose all of that overnight.

But in the long term, is Villanova too big to fail? I wouldn’t go that far. It is a very good basketball program with high expectations, but it will need another guy as good as Wright to sustain where it was for the better part of the past two decades. That’s … really hard to imagine. Not impossible. But difficult. And so it’s probably best for Villanova fans to recalibrate their expectations slightly downward, cognizant of the fact that they lived through the greatest time in program history and understanding that guys like Wright don’t come along very often, and eras like his can’t possibly last forever.

I’m a Georgetown alum that was ready to quit caring after the re-commitment to Ewing. Am I crazy to be happy with the off-season moves? Can we be a middle-of-the-pack Big East team this year that hangs around the edges of the bubble and is generally not an embarrassment?

The Qudus Wahab return is one of the great prodigal son moves in the history of college basketball, certainly in the transfer portal era. It seemed like a pretty wild choice at the time, coming off a star turn for a tournament team, but the decision to move to Maryland, rather than play for one of the best big men in college basketball history, also felt like an indictment of how low the program had fallen, how little trust was there. Now that Wahab has come back, it feels like some minor slice of dignity has been restored.

And yes, Georgetown has done well with the signing of former LSU coach Kevin Nickelberry, who brought LSU freshman transfer Brandon Murray, who could be really good as soon as this season. (He was one of the Tigers’ more intriguing talents, which, on that team, was genuinely saying something.) Akok Akok, Amir Spears, Jay Heath — there are some viable high-major players making their way to the Hilltop this year, guys that might not all specifically be Nickelberry gets but that Georgetown wasn’t competing for before Nickelberry showed up.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2022, 11:39:19 PM »

I heard it even survived a Requiem

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2022, 08:42:56 AM »
I heard it even survived a Requiem
The Big East did, but aren't we all little jealous of the success that Pitt and Syracuse have had since leaving the BE?  ;D

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2022, 05:12:55 PM »
So far the post Jay Wright eta not going too well
                       ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2022, 05:19:34 PM »
So far the post Jay Wright eta not going too well

All leagues have ups and downs.  Given the recent coaching hires, I’d suspect a quick rebound
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2022, 05:41:19 PM »
Need a squad to take over the slate, and it’s not rise up by committee.

McDermott at Creighton seems the right coach for the part, but I’d assume not the right program, I guess?

UConn seems right, X with Miller seems good. Shaka seems like he can slide in but a pipe dream?

Not really sure who’s positioned the best to take over Novas roll as cream of the crop

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2022, 06:06:36 PM »
Nova could still take over Nova's "roll."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2022, 06:19:47 PM »
At the moment, my confidence in the BE is higher than it has been in a long time. The quality of coaches is the main reason for my excitement. When Shaka got hired I thought he would rise up to top 2-3 coach in the BE and still believe that, but the competition has risen a great deal imo.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2022, 06:32:54 PM »
TLDR, but the Big East is and will remain a top flight conference. Nova will be fine.

But it could be a 4 bid league this season. 5 more likely. But the bottom half is not very good. Looking like a down year for the league.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2022, 07:23:34 PM »
Best part of it all is that it’s open.

Coaching/recruiting reigns supreme in ncaab.

I agree the BE is positioned well amongst good coaches.

Who will rise up?

Let’s go shaka

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2022, 07:30:29 PM »
Every conference has down years. The BE is well positioned long term. I’m not worried too much. Would like to get that next TV contract locked down though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback