[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Twitter  (Read 9022 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Twitter
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2022, 06:26:41 PM »
Why buy the previous social network phenomenon instead of the next one? Twitter is washed

What's the next phenomenon?  I'd like to buy a cottage in Nova Scotia or Ireland.  I was thinking Twitter could go down to 35 and I could take advantage but if they're washed up perhaps other options make more sense.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2022, 07:55:42 PM »

What's the next phenomenon?  I'd like to buy a cottage in Nova Scotia or Ireland.  I was thinking Twitter could go down to 35 and I could take advantage but if they're washed up perhaps other options make more sense.

Always ask your nieces/grandkids what the next social media platform is. Never ask Scoop.

Now, the current social media platforms that I'd consider buying:
Most of our ad dollars go to Facebook/Instagram. Their platforms are really well monetized, and Facebook has a history of acquiring up-and-coming social networks. Meta is trading at ~5x P/S whereas Twitter is ~7x P/S

We also spend ad dollars on TikTok. If you don't mind investing in Chinese companies, and you don't mind buying pre-IPO equity, you could try to buy some ByteDance. They're a holding company that owns TikTok and a few other companies. EquityZen is where I've heard of people trading pre-IPO equity but I do not partake.

Twitter's inability to monetize their platform is a dealbreaker for me investing in an aging social network. They're closer to the death of Myspace than the birth of Myspace, they already missed their window, IMO.

Disclaimer: I don't own any of these companies outside of index funds. I haven't done a ton of research on them either, beyond ad buying and researching how my competitors are leveraging these platforms.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2022, 08:35:56 PM »
Thats fine, but id argue none of those people were remotely similar to Musk in this case.  Milken, Boesky, and Raj were all Wall St bigwigs trying to get to or stay on top.  Martha had a dirty broker.  None of them were literal billionaires doing things that would constitute potential crimes for comparatively small amounts.

Also, Enron was using illegal accounting within 5 years of forming, it was happening for a decade plus by the time they got caught.

If you think Musk has been illegal and criminal since the early days of Tesla, then ok.  I don't agree with you but at least I can see the argument.  Otherwise it feels like a very rich dude f-ing with the SEC (who he's often sparred with) and company he's long had a connection to.   I'm not justifying it, I'm not saying he shouldn't be accountable if indeed there were misdeeds, I just view it differently, thats all.

There was a story a number of years ago in India about a group of guys in their early 20s who tried to steal a bunch of diamonds from one of the factories.  They were all wealthy kids, a number of whom were from diamond families.  They thought it would be fun, exciting, and why the hell not.  Cause they had been fabulously wealthy, spoiled, and without discipline or accountability most of their life.  Still illegal and criminal, but it wasn't about the money, and I view it as a different sort of act or motivation than the famous diamond heists in Antwerp or whatnot.

As usual, you’re the voice of common sense and logic around here. Thank you.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2022, 08:41:04 PM »
Will be interesting to see what Musk does when he owns Twitter. A good investment for him to o n the whole thing.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

reinko

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2022, 08:48:00 PM »
As usual, you’re the voice of common sense and logic around here. Thank you.

So the story about the diamonds, because they were rich and they were doing it fun, they shouldn’t be held accountable to the same standards and laws as others?  This isn’t a “gotcha” post, but this also to JWags, who shared this interesting anecdote of “well, rich kids were just doing this for kicks, so yeah, that should be taking into account”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2022, 08:58:03 PM »
I ask myself who is in favor of this versus who isn’t and that usually sheds a lot of light
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2022, 09:02:06 PM »
So the story about the diamonds, because they were rich and they were doing it fun, they shouldn’t be held accountable to the same standards and laws as others?  This isn’t a “gotcha” post, but this also to JWags, who shared this interesting anecdote of “well, rich kids were just doing this for kicks, so yeah, that should be taking into account”

Yeah, I don’t know why Wags included that paragraph. To me it was beside the point(s) he had made very well in this thread. I should have omitted it from what I quoted - but some people accuse me of bad things when I edit posts I respond to.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2022, 01:32:18 AM »

Oh it had nothing to do with them avoiding accountability.  They are insufferable miserable people who deserve everything they got, regardless of their motive.  I wasn't meaning to excuse anything.  Just that I viewed that crime and its motive differently than committing the crime to try and get rich.  F them all the same.  I can see where that got confusing.

It was more further explanation of me saying how I didn't think Musk was doing this as a profit motive, grey area or criminal or whatnot...in response to Pakuni's assertion that there is no length that wealthy wont go to accrue more wealth.  In that example, those kids were doing something they thought they could get away with, that had potential financial windfall, but that wasn't their reason for doing this.  Just as I don't think Musk did this, illegal or not, just to make some, for him, insignificant coin. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2022, 06:29:53 AM »
He's manipulating stock prices for a few hundred million when he's worth $250B and is selling all his possessions?  Unlikely.  Its not like he said he'd offer $100 a share. Its an ego play, pure and simple.  He wants to remake Twitter how he wants or cause chaos while trying.

Worse manipulation happened weekly or daily during the height of the pandemic.

Hedge/PE funds and companies do this stuff all the time, in far more impactful ways and the SEC does nothing.  But good luck with your wealth tax Lizzie

Regardless of the numbers involved here, he is extremely scummy, and a wealthy provocateur and should catch his slap on the wrist sooner rather than later.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2022, 07:24:29 AM »
Oh it had nothing to do with them avoiding accountability.  They are insufferable miserable people who deserve everything they got, regardless of their motive.  I wasn't meaning to excuse anything.  Just that I viewed that crime and its motive differently than committing the crime to try and get rich.  F them all the same.  I can see where that got confusing.

It was more further explanation of me saying how I didn't think Musk was doing this as a profit motive, grey area or criminal or whatnot...in response to Pakuni's assertion that there is no length that wealthy wont go to accrue more wealth.  In that example, those kids were doing something they thought they could get away with, that had potential financial windfall, but that wasn't their reason for doing this.  Just as I don't think Musk did this, illegal or not, just to make some, for him, insignificant coin.

Intentionally or not, you're badly reading/mistating what I wrote.
If you were to go back and read it, you'd probably find that you agree with me.
What I wrote was:
"I would suggest that wealth is a secondary motive to gaming the system."

Isn't that the exact same thing as what you're suggesting with your example of the Indian diamond thieves? As with those thieves, Musk isn't gaming the system because he need/wants more money..He's gaming the system because he can and because he enjoys gaming the system.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2022, 10:17:20 AM »
Intentionally or not, you're badly reading/mistating what I wrote.
If you were to go back and read it, you'd probably find that you agree with me.
What I wrote was:
"I would suggest that wealth is a secondary motive to gaming the system."

Isn't that the exact same thing as what you're suggesting with your example of the Indian diamond thieves? As with those thieves, Musk isn't gaming the system because he need/wants more money..He's gaming the system because he can and because he enjoys gaming the system.

I dont disagree with that part.  I guess I was then just confused as to why you brought up other wealthy white collar criminals then whose primary motivation was wealth generation.  But all good.  No need to belabor the point.

But to the original point, in my previous life as a TWTR shareholder, I would welcome a takeover from Musk or anyone cause there is tons of revenue and value that remains unlocked for myriad reasons, if just to shake up and try some new things cause its significantly unvalued in terms of potential, IMO

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2022, 10:40:58 AM »
Even for Musk it can't be that easy to buy the entire company.  He would have to liquidate a good chunk of his other stock for the cash wouldn't he?   Who really knows what he's thinking or if he actually wants to own Twitter.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2022, 01:25:20 PM »
Just Elon being Elon. Good clean fun.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2022, 02:56:17 PM »
It appears that Twitter's board has officially activated its poison pill provision
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2022, 03:33:41 PM »
Wow Bezos owns WaPo now Elon with Twitter, does Zuckerburg buy MUScoop next???
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2022, 04:15:00 PM »
Wow Bezos owns WaPo now Elon with Twitter, does Zuckerburg buy MUScoop next???

Rocky has plans to buy out Dodds and Ganzer, blend them with Scoop in a done deal, and rebrand as Feta.

Topper to take his cash payout and  LBO Inspire Brands.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2022, 08:15:39 AM »
It appears a deal is going to be made with Musk. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2022, 08:57:33 AM »
Just Elon being Elon. Good clean fun.

Good clean fun, indeed.

He has a strong authoritarian bent. Wants to provide a widespread platform for those seeking to overthrow the American way of life.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2022, 09:04:25 AM »
Good clean fun, indeed.

He has a strong authoritarian bent. Wants to provide a widespread platform for those seeking to overthrow the American way of life.

I won't debate or agree with that, as I don't know all that much about Musk other than he is a bizarre rich guy who has created an EV empire and who seems to only like rules when they can give him more money and power. The latter applies to pretty much all bizarre rich guys and ... well ... to most people.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2022, 09:06:13 AM »
Good clean fun, indeed.

Yup. Terrible for discourse. The type that only believes in free speech when it's what he wants to hear.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2022, 09:08:50 AM »
I’ll be curious how much changes.  My guess is, there will be a lot of huffing and puffing and users won’t notice many changes.

Follow who you want and ignore who you want is pretty easy right now on Twitter.  If that changes, then it becomes unusable to me
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2022, 09:18:35 AM »
I’ll be curious how much changes.  My guess is, there will be a lot of huffing and puffing and users won’t notice many changes.

Follow who you want and ignore who you want is pretty easy right now on Twitter.  If that changes, then it becomes unusable to me

The minute they kill the chronological timeline and force me to the algo I'm gone.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2022, 09:23:15 AM »
The minute they kill the chronological timeline and force me to the algo I'm gone.

That would be a non-starter as well. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2022, 09:48:05 AM »

Exactly.  My guess is he monetizes it more, and removes some bans (Trump).  If he goes further than that, the platform will die.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2022, 09:55:44 AM »
Exactly.  My guess is he monetizes it more, and removes some bans (Trump).  If he goes further than that, the platform will die.

Why would Trump comeback to Twitter when we has his own social media platform?  I heard it was the biggest and best?

feedback