collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Coffee Advice for non-Coffee Drinker  (Read 2633 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Coffee Advice for non-Coffee Drinker
« on: April 12, 2022, 08:24:47 AM »
Let me preface this by saying my coffee knowledge is abysmal. Like, I'm pretty sure what a cappuccino is, but not 100% sure...it's that bad. I've never drank the stuff.

Mrs. TAMU recently got hired for a remote position and will be working from home full time now. When she was going into the office, she was a starbucks addict (she likes other coffee more but went to Starbucks for price and convenience) but now she's thinking that since she doesn't have a commute, she'll start making her coffee at home. She bought a french press and LOVES it. Can't stop talking about it.

She has a birthday and mother's day coming up and I was thinking about getting her some accessories or high quality coffee to go with her new french press, but like I said, I'm clueless at coffee. Any of you coffeeaholics have any suggestions on what I could get to elevate Mrs. TAMU's home brewing experience?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Coffee Advice for non-Coffee Drinker
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 08:35:21 AM »
I'm a coffee drinker but far from an expert. I got a coffee grinder and started grinding the beans each morning, and it makes a huge difference in terms of freshness and flavor. If she's not already doing that, then I'd start there.

If she has a type of roast that she tends to favor, find a local roaster and get beans from them. They'll be a little more expensive, but way fresher and you'll be helping a local business.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 08:42:04 AM »
I'm a coffee drinker but far from an expert. I got a coffee grinder and started grinding the beans each morning, and it makes a huge difference in terms of freshness and flavor. If she's not already doing that, then I'd start there.

I make espresso at the house and for that a quality burr grinder is a must.  More important investment than the machine (and worth it).

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 08:56:45 AM »
Well, aside from the grinder, if she's happy with the taste of the coffee, and just wants to fancy things up a bit ala starbucks.  Get a milk frother of some sort.

Got this one a couple years ago, and it works well and is easy to clean:
https://www.amazon.com/AEVO-Detachable-Dishwasher-Safe-Independent-Cappuccinos/dp/B085CD46GR/

That's said, I only drink coffee for the caffeine (don't really like the taste) and don't grind my own beans.  Makes me a heathen I suppose, but if you're going for presentation, the frother is better than the grinder (I've impressed people with "fancy" coffee).  Extra bonus when you learn to make a heart in the froth for her!

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 09:03:53 AM »

she was a starbucks addict (she likes other coffee more but went to Starbucks for price and convenience)
She likes paying too much?

I agree with buying local fresh roasted beans, unless you want to buy your own coffee roaster. Grinder is second most important. The machine is least important, but I would go for a Cona machine.
https://classicona.com/

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 09:23:50 AM »
Pepsi.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 09:23:56 AM »
Folgers and a shot of Grand Marnier.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 09:30:45 AM »
If she likes variety or wants to explore, consider a a subscription service like Trade Coffee.
https://www.drinktrade.com

You can read up on it if interested, but essentially you take a survey about your preferences, then they start sending you different coffees that fit your profile. 

it was interesting for a couple of years but we did just cancel as they started repeating coffees they had sent prior.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022, 09:38:23 AM »
My son got me a sample pack of about 20 different coffees from Bean Box for Christmas.

https://beanbox.com/
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2022, 10:10:55 AM »
I make espresso at the house and for that a quality burr grinder is a must.  More important investment than the machine (and worth it).

Seconded. If you're going to get a grinder, a burr grinder is much better. For years we just used a spice "grinder" which really didn't "grind" anything...it was basically just a mini-blender that pulverized the beans. Actual burr grinders do make a difference.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2022, 11:43:36 AM »
My wife just bought us a new Cuisinart Coffee maker.  It has a coffee grinder built-in and you can set it with the morning timer.  Conversely, you can turn off the grinder and set-up normally.
Wife has a frother that runs on a timer.  Usually will brew something in our Nespresso (much better than a Kerig) and add the frothed almond milk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2022, 11:58:47 AM »
Let me preface this by saying my coffee knowledge is abysmal. Like, I'm pretty sure what a cappuccino is, but not 100% sure...it's that bad. I've never drank the stuff.

Mrs. TAMU recently got hired for a remote position and will be working from home full time now. When she was going into the office, she was a starbucks addict (she likes other coffee more but went to Starbucks for price and convenience) but now she's thinking that since she doesn't have a commute, she'll start making her coffee at home. She bought a french press and LOVES it. Can't stop talking about it.

She has a birthday and mother's day coming up and I was thinking about getting her some accessories or high quality coffee to go with her new french press, but like I said, I'm clueless at coffee. Any of you coffeeaholics have any suggestions on what I could get to elevate Mrs. TAMU's home brewing experience?

A couple of suggestions which I believe Mrs. TAMU will enjoy:

I would definitely recommend a gooseneck electric kettle.  They are highly useful, very quick, and are really designed perfectly for the French Press pour.  Slow and circular while heating the sides of the vessel equally.

As far as grinders the Burr and Cuisinart are very good but additionally a hand grinder is an excellent purchase if you camp ot travel.  It's also  probably easier to find the proper coarse grind for the French Press with a manual grinder

As for beans do not buy  Mrs. T Starbucks for any reason, ever.  They burns their roasts and we do not want her drinking that swill.   Fair Trade is a good suggestion but there are many, many, options in lieu of Starbucks.  I personally only drink 100% pure Kona Peaberry which is a bit costly.  Nevertheless, I would also recommend Tanzanian Peaberry, Sumatran for dark coffee, Nicaraguan beans, and the occasional Moka Java.

I hope Mrs. TAMU enjoys her new pure coffee at home and for starters I would find that gooseneck kettle for her. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 12:00:44 PM by MuggsyB »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2022, 12:44:14 PM »

I subscribe to Bixby Coffee
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2022, 12:59:15 PM »
sounds like a burr grinder is the way to go.

Son brought home some Jamaican blue mountain coffee recently.  Don't have a good grinder for it, though. 

Wondering where JBM sis on the Mount Rushmore of coffee beans.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2022, 01:07:14 PM »
Hands down the best beans for Mrs. TAMU is Kopi luwak.

Keep her stocked with these and you'll be golden.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2022, 01:25:40 PM »
In a pinch there is always Nescafe instant coffee.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2022, 01:27:45 PM »
sounds like a burr grinder is the way to go.

Son brought home some Jamaican blue mountain coffee recently.  Don't have a good grinder for it, though. 

Wondering where JBM sis on the Mount Rushmore of coffee beans.

JBM is very good but I think pure Kona Peaberry is better and generally not as expensive.  No one should ever buy Civet (Kofi Luwak) coffee beans.  There are a number of good Indonesian coffee beans where animals don't get tortured.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2022, 04:38:44 PM »
As far as grinders the Burr and Cuisinart are very good but additionally a hand grinder is an excellent purchase if you camp ot travel.  It's also  probably easier to find the proper coarse grind for the French Press with a manual grinder

A "burr" grinder is a description of the grinding mechanism, not a brand. I believe most (all?) hand grinders are burr grinders.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2022, 07:33:05 PM »
A "burr" grinder is a description of the grinding mechanism, not a brand. I believe most (all?) hand grinders are burr grinders.

Yes.  I was thinking Bunn not Burr. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2022, 07:22:41 AM »
A couple of suggestions which I believe Mrs. TAMU will enjoy:

I would definitely recommend a gooseneck electric kettle.  They are highly useful, very quick, and are really designed perfectly for the French Press pour.  Slow and circular while heating the sides of the vessel equally.

As for beans do not buy  Mrs. T Starbucks for any reason, ever.  They burns their roasts and we do not want her drinking that swill.   Fair Trade is a good suggestion but there are many, many, options in lieu of Starbucks.  I personally only drink 100% pure Kona Peaberry which is a bit costly.  Nevertheless, I would also recommend Tanzanian Peaberry, Sumatran for dark coffee, Nicaraguan beans, and the occasional Moka Java.

I hope Mrs. TAMU enjoys her new pure coffee at home and for starters I would find that gooseneck kettle for her.

I think you're thinking of a pour over here, not a french press.  But I personally think that a nice hario pour over with freshly ground beans and good quality water from a gooseneck electric kettle is the best way to enjoy coffee.

https://www.amazon.com/Hario-V60-Ceramic-Dripper-Filters/dp/B01L6OCXAS/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1ST8WDXSNWY1V&keywords=hario+v60&qid=1649939041&s=home-garden&sprefix=hario+v%2Cgarden%2C124&sr=1-11

https://www.amazon.com/Capresso-Infinity-Conical-Grinder-Stainless/dp/B000VAWXOU?ref_=ast_sto_dp

https://www.amazon.com/Gooseneck-Temperature-Electric-Stainless-Stopwatch/dp/B09DY67Q1D/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=electric+gooseneck+kettle&qid=1649939144&s=home-garden&sprefix=elect%2Cgarden%2C105&sr=1-11

Any of these three items would be a great start for your wife, TAMU.  And I would echo everyone else's statements about locally roasted coffee.  Many local coffee shops carry their own roasts and you can pick up a bag here and there while you're out or anytime you're on vacation.  It's a fun little souvenir that doesn't take up a ton of room.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 07:30:28 AM by Hards_Alumni »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2022, 07:45:52 AM »
I think you're thinking of a pour over here, not a french press.  But I personally think that a nice hario pour over with freshly ground beans and good quality water from a gooseneck electric kettle is the best way to enjoy coffee.

https://www.amazon.com/Hario-V60-Ceramic-Dripper-Filters/dp/B01L6OCXAS/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1ST8WDXSNWY1V&keywords=hario+v60&qid=1649939041&s=home-garden&sprefix=hario+v%2Cgarden%2C124&sr=1-11

https://www.amazon.com/Capresso-Infinity-Conical-Grinder-Stainless/dp/B000VAWXOU?ref_=ast_sto_dp

https://www.amazon.com/Gooseneck-Temperature-Electric-Stainless-Stopwatch/dp/B09DY67Q1D/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=electric+gooseneck+kettle&qid=1649939144&s=home-garden&sprefix=elect%2Cgarden%2C105&sr=1-11

Any of these three items would be a great start for your wife, TAMU.  And I would echo everyone else's statements about locally roasted coffee.  Many local coffee shops carry their own roasts and you can pick up a bag here and there while you're out or anytime you're on vacation.  It's a fun little souvenir that doesn't take up a ton of room.

I'm thinking of both a pour over and French press.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2022, 08:20:08 AM »
I'm thinking of both a pour over and French press.

Ah, I don't do a FP much.  I usually just dump the hot water right in.   :D

reinko

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2022, 08:49:08 AM »
If she is cold brew/iced coffee kinda gal, I have this, and make great CB.

1 Gallon Cold Brew Coffee Maker with EXTRA-THICK Glass Carafe & Stainless Steel Mesh Filter - Premium Iced Coffee Maker, Cold Brew Pitcher & Tea Infuser - by Zulay Kitchen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082DLKSCY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8KXMZXDMFQ4GGJYHCVXS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2022, 09:11:04 AM »
Ah, I don't do a FP much.  I usually just dump the hot water right in.   :D

I actually have the Hario which I agree is the best way to go for a single serving.  But you should slowly pour into your French Press as well and steam the sides of the carafe.  My beans also can also achieve maximum flavor and go farther (further?)  if I steep them a bit longer in the French P.   

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2022, 04:58:24 PM »

Pretty sure you misunderstood the code words for "Honey, I'd like some morning coffee".