collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: East Tennessee . West North Carolina  (Read 3115 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
East Tennessee . West North Carolina
« on: April 04, 2022, 11:18:29 AM »
Anyone have any recommendations for decent restaurants or things to do in the area?  I'll be there this weekend into next week for a wedding.

Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg/Asheville and anything in between.

Thanks!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: East Tennessee . West North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 11:31:54 AM »
Are you bringing kids?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 11:41:47 AM »
Chattanooga.  Cool downtown.  Outdoors stuff all over.  Without the nutiness of Gatlinburg.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 11:44:47 AM »
I can't recommend the Biltmore and its grounds enough.  I went as an early teen and was enamored.  I can't wait to go again as an adult and see it through different eyes.  Not to mention the winery/vineyard there.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 12:00:57 PM »
Anyone have any recommendations for decent restaurants or things to do in the area?  I'll be there this weekend into next week for a wedding.

Thanks!
Skip Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg and head directly to Asheville.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 12:11:05 PM »
I always hit Limones and Curate in Asheville.

Agree with the comment to skip Gatlinburg unless you are planning on using it as a base for hiking.  If time permits, drive through the Smokies to Cherokee NC and take the BRP into Asheville - nice drive.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 12:33:46 PM »
Skip Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg and head directly to Asheville.

Asheville is a gem. Do the Biltmore tour (as Wags recommended) and then head downtown to eat. Lots of good eats from outdoor to fancy.

If you have kids, Dollywood in Pigeon Forge is great. We always used to make fun of it, but then we got free tickets and went - I thought it was better than 6 Flags.

If no kids, avoid Pigeon Forge - it's just Wisconsin Dells on Steroids. Two best attractions in Gatlinburg are the whiskey tasting and the Roaring Forks Loop road to give you some history.

There are endless hikes to go on in the park. One of my faves is Charlies Bunion. Someone recommended going to Cherokee - this hike is on the way at the Tennessee/NC border. I think it is about 8 miles round trip - lots of ups and downs. Also a great hike at Clingmans Dome (also on route to Cherokee. Maybe 3 or 4 miles round trip. It should be perfect for spring wildflower viewing in the open areas.

If you wanna add some sports, the Cubs AA team is nearby (20 Miles). Great new stadium.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2022, 12:39:36 PM »
Are you bringing kids?

I have no kids! 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2022, 12:40:25 PM »
Chattanooga.  Cool downtown.  Outdoors stuff all over.  Without the nutiness of Gatlinburg.

Been there, love it in Chattanooga.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2022, 12:40:49 PM »
I can't recommend the Biltmore and its grounds enough.  I went as an early teen and was enamored.  I can't wait to go again as an adult and see it through different eyes.  Not to mention the winery/vineyard there.

It's for sure at the top of the list, thanks!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2022, 12:44:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies all.  PF and Gatlinburg aren't really my cup of tea either, and I wouldn't choose them... but you know, family in town and all.  Just wanted to know of a couple of places in the area to get decent food instead of the local Arby's.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2022, 01:04:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies all.  PF and Gatlinburg aren't really my cup of tea either, and I wouldn't choose them... but you know, family in town and all.  Just wanted to know of a couple of places in the area to get decent food instead of the local Arby's.

Just get off of the main drag in Gatlinburg and there are quite a few decent places to eat.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2022, 01:07:06 PM »
I used to go the Asheville for work as my company had a factory & warehouse there.
I recommend visiting also.  I never made the Vanderbilt mansion tour since I was working and it closed too early for me to visit but I wanted to go.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2022, 01:28:18 PM »
Maybe nads and his buddies will meet you for a craft beer or 2.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2022, 01:44:03 PM »
Maybe nads and his buddies will meet you for a craft beer or 2.

And you won't even cross town, smh

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2022, 02:46:21 PM »
And you won't even cross town, smh

The lobby bar at Grand Bohemian Hotel (located across the street from the entrance to the Biltmore) is a worthy stop. 
Ludum habemus.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2022, 03:12:24 PM »
Second Chattanooga, stayed at the Moxy, dug it. I was shocked how cool it is, Lookout Mountain might be worth a trip.

Second Curate in Asheville, never had a bad meal there. Check out Funkatorium for sour beer, Green Man for a cool tasting room environment, Buxton Hall foe BBQ (I don’t like a lot of smoke), White Duck for tacos, Plant for creative vegetarian cuisine, and, yeah I know it’s a chain, but I dig Tupelo Honey. I like Biscuit Head, too.

Check out the music scene and make sure to get in a hike and drive the Blue Ridge Parkway, Pisgah Forest, and Appalachian Trail. Biltmore is fine, I was a little turned off by it all, but no question it’s definitely a…large house.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2022, 03:57:23 PM »
I have no kids!

That still didn't answer the question, lol.  Maybe you have plans to kidnap a few and bring them along, creeper!

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2022, 05:15:30 PM »
I have no kids!

Then, after a good meal hit one or two of the whiskey tasting places on the main road in town. No cost (at least there was none the last time I was there) and you can sample up to 9 different flavors (mini-shots). Stopping in one place can give ya a pretty good buzz. If you go to a couple - walk back to the hotel.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2022, 05:45:12 PM »
Second Chattanooga, stayed at the Moxy, dug it. I was shocked how cool it is, Lookout Mountain might be worth a trip.

Second Curate in Asheville, never had a bad meal there. Check out Funkatorium for sour beer, Green Man for a cool tasting room environment, Buxton Hall foe BBQ (I don’t like a lot of smoke), White Duck for tacos, Plant for creative vegetarian cuisine, and, yeah I know it’s a chain, but I dig Tupelo Honey. I like Biscuit Head, too.

Check out the music scene and make sure to get in a hike and drive the Blue Ridge Parkway, Pisgah Forest, and Appalachian Trail. Biltmore is fine, I was a little turned off by it all, but no question it’s definitely a…large house.

Again, I've been... plus its 2.5 hours away.  I asked for PF, Gatlinburg, and Asheville because that is where our lodging is. :)

The rest is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2022, 05:46:40 PM »
That still didn't answer the question, lol.  Maybe you have plans to kidnap a few and bring them along, creeper!

Well, I can state that there are no plans to do that.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2022, 05:53:41 PM »
Again, I've been... plus its 2.5 hours away.  I asked for PF, Gatlinburg, and Asheville because that is where our lodging is. :)

For Asheville, Curate was highly recommended to us but happened to be closed the weekend we were there.

We did a walking restaurant/brewery tour that made several stops at downtown restaurants, each of which included a small plate sample of a signature dish and a beverage.  Highly recommend as a good way to sample multiple places and get a local’s perspective of the city.

We did the brunch tour.

https://ashevillefoodtours.com/

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2022, 06:20:48 PM »

Well, I guess pay attention to the good stuff!! Enjoy!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2022, 06:56:26 PM »

nm
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2022, 07:26:52 PM »
nm

I know you were going to ask, so yes, it's my cousin's wedding.  And despite it taking place in East Tennessee, no I will not be invoking prima notcta.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2022, 08:53:35 PM »

Thanks!
On the way to Ashville stop at  Harrahs in Cherokee. It is is a beautiful place with A mountain stream running through the middle of the place. Check to see if they have any events going on in the event Center. They have big time acts like Chris Rock etc 

You can then stop at Santas Land and see the Reindeer on the way . Also there are some tremendous tourist traps along the way to Ashville, Highest point in the Smokies etc.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2022, 09:36:50 PM »
Hards:

Asheville is fun on Friday and Saturday nights. The downtown square is alive with music and artists and all kinds of stuff. Great brewery scene in the city; Burial is my favorite.

Real good BBQ place - 12 Bones. It's an unpretentious place with picnic tables outside, but it's a favorite of visiting celebs for good reason. Delish.

And I would meet you if I could, but I'm umpiring too damn much youth baseball right now. Make a side trip to Charlotte, and I'll buy the first two rounds!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2022, 10:31:57 PM »
I know you were going to ask, so yes, it's my cousin's wedding.  And despite it taking place in East Tennessee, no I will not be invoking prima notcta.

Actually I was gong to tell you that Chattanooga was 2 and 1/2 hours away, but then I saw that someone else had already pointed that out.
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2022, 05:51:38 AM »
Actually I was gong to tell you that Chattanooga was 2 and 1/2 hours away, but then I saw that someone else had already pointed that out.

oh.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2022, 09:00:56 PM »
Of all you posters, only Sister Chick knows Tennessee geography. Heck, Chattanooga is ridiculously far away from the target area.

Skip Gatlinburg. It is the Wisconsin Dells of the South.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2022, 07:28:33 AM »
Pigeon Forge is worse.   The instantaneous transition to the national park is fascinating.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2022, 09:01:38 AM »
Pigeon Forge is worse.   The instantaneous transition to the national park is fascinating.

Yes. We always rented cabins in the Townsend area on the west side of the Smokies. No crowds and quick access to some of the best hiking trails in the park.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2022, 09:40:24 AM »
Yes. We always rented cabins in the Townsend area on the west side of the Smokies. No crowds and quick access to some of the best hiking trails in the park.

There is an amazing B&B in Sevierville called the Blue Mountain Mist Inn.  It's only a few minutes from Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, but you would never know it. Beautiful mountain views. clawfoot tubs, full country breakfast.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2022, 11:19:59 AM »
There is an amazing B&B in Sevierville called the Blue Mountain Mist Inn.  It's only a few minutes from Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, but you would never know it. Beautiful mountain views. clawfoot tubs, full country breakfast.

We’d stay anywhere from 10-14 days every year when we went so a B&B wasn’t really an option. Renting a cabin with another couple at $250 per night was by far the cheapest option.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2022, 08:03:38 AM »
A decent time was had by all.  Some interesting tidbits. 
1. There was a car show in PF the weekend of the wedding, and it was 35 degrees outside.  Didn't make for an awesome outdoor wedding day.
2. We did Dolly's stampede, and it was as ridiculous as expected, but one of those things you HAVE to do because it is so obnoxious.
3. Spent half a day in Gatlinburg.  Most of the time was spent freezing our asses off at Anakeesta... which was okay.  Had some moonshine and beers.
4. Saw some elk on the road driving through the park, and took some cool pictures in the mountains.
5. Asheville is a cool city with far too many breweries.  I didn't think that could be a thing, but we stopped at 20 while we were in town.  The food is really good, and the Biltmore was amazing... Again, we had some rough weather, but the gardens were somewhat in bloom.  I will say that $80+ for an audio tour was obscene.  Especially considering I've paid half as much for longer tours of palaces in Europe.
6. Charlotte sucks, sorry 82. :)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2022, 06:19:09 PM »
Charlotte sucks, sorry 82. :)

No skin off my teeth, y'all. It's not like I get royalties every time somebody visits.

And we have twice as many breweries as Asheville does, so you'd really hate it!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2022, 06:58:33 PM »
Grove Park Inn in Asheville is up there with the Biltmore.
https://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/asheville-grove-park?msclkid=eea045cac03b11ec90f1a80f2cc2bd07
I was married at Lake Junaluska near Waynesville and Maggie Valley. 
https://lakejunaluska.com/?msclkid=794883a2c03c11ec99b63ff02658c1d1

Have a great time!