[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The War in Ukraine  (Read 47231 times)

Dickthedribbler

• All American
Re: The War in Ukraine
« Reply #700 on: December 08, 2022, 12:24:55 PM »
Is she gonna sing the Star Spangled Banner at the super bowl?

While taking a knee.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #701 on: December 08, 2022, 12:30:40 PM »
Wait a minute watt's her pronouns, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #702 on: December 08, 2022, 12:53:38 PM »
nunya
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #703 on: December 08, 2022, 01:11:28 PM »
Did they vape on the plane ride home?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #704 on: December 08, 2022, 01:15:13 PM »
For their sake, I hope so.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #705 on: December 08, 2022, 02:19:57 PM »
Not sure what BG has to do with Ukraine but I trust the professionals in the State Department to have concluded that this was the best deal they could have made. I think it's also noteworthy that Bout has already served 14 years of his sentence. It is questionable that he will ever be able to return to arms trafficking. It was noteworthy how the President warned all U.S. travelers to make themselves aware of the State Department's travel bulletins before leaving the country.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #706 on: December 08, 2022, 02:33:16 PM »
I think Bout may not last long in Russia either.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #707 on: December 08, 2022, 02:33:19 PM »
Not sure what BG has to do with Ukraine but I trust the professionals in the State Department to have concluded that this was the best deal they could have made. I think it's also noteworthy that Bout has already served 14 years of his sentence. It is questionable that he will ever be able to return to arms trafficking. It was noteworthy how the President warned all U.S. travelers to make themselves aware of the State Department's travel bulletins before leaving the country.

As I pointed out to someone, that Bout now has to actually live in Russia which just plain sucks.  He was probably better off in a US prison.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #708 on: December 08, 2022, 02:34:01 PM »
I think Bout may not last long in Russia either.

He'll fall out of a basement window pretty soon.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #709 on: December 08, 2022, 03:26:30 PM »
As I pointed out to someone, that Bout now has to actually live in Russia which just plain sucks.  He was probably better off in a US prison.
Due to our effective prison system, I am sure he is rehabilitated

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #710 on: December 08, 2022, 03:43:48 PM »

Optics is all that mattered here.

Russia was able to bully the US into releasing a scumbag to get a basketball player back.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #711 on: December 08, 2022, 03:44:45 PM »

Russia was able to bully the US into releasing a scumbag to get a basketball player back.

Not really, but whatever.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #712 on: December 08, 2022, 03:59:04 PM »

Not really, but whatever.

Explain how that isn't the case.  Russia got what it wanted, and sent a pretty terrible message to the world.  Which also makes the US appear weak.

Are BG and her family happy?  I'm sure they're ecstatic, and I'm very happy for them.  But the message sent to the world today is that you can arrest a US citizen, convict and hold them on a trumped up charge, and then ransom them for a global terrorist. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #713 on: December 08, 2022, 04:07:10 PM »
Yes. Americans are today less safe due to this  decision.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #714 on: December 08, 2022, 04:10:35 PM »

Pentagon already is quoted as saying they worry about him returning to arms trafficking

Explain how that isn't the case.  Russia got what it wanted, and sent a pretty terrible message to the world.  Which also makes the US appear weak.

Are BG and her family happy?  I'm sure they're ecstatic, and I'm very happy for them.  But the message sent to the world today is that you can arrest a US citizen, convict and hold them on a trumped up charge, and then ransom them for a global terrorist. 

YEP.   Regardless of Whelan’s family saying they are happy for BG, the fact that Russia was like “nah, not him for a notorious global criminal, just a petty civilian” is terrible messaging and optics.

And it has nothing to do with armchair expertise, the only positive response I’ve seen from this all day is from people pushing a very distinct agenda.  Which is as pathetic as people claiming a certain former president would have done so much better,

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #715 on: December 08, 2022, 04:17:57 PM »
Pentagon already is quoted as saying they worry about him returning to arms trafficking

YEP.   Regardless of Whelan’s family saying they are happy for BG, the fact that Russia was like “nah, not him for a notorious global criminal, just a petty civilian” is terrible messaging and optics.

And it has nothing to do with armchair expertise, the only positive response I’ve seen from this all day is from people pushing a very distinct agenda.  Which is as pathetic as people claiming a certain former president would have done so much better,

What's the deal with this guy? Saw a few social media mentions today

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #716 on: December 08, 2022, 05:16:06 PM »
What pro player or entertainer will get Chapo back to Mexico?

Oprah for Chapo?

Maybe TB for Chapo?

The US State Department made it clear, we will wheel and deal with anybody for the right player.

I'd kind of like Jerry West as our next Secretary of State. That man can make deals.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #717 on: December 08, 2022, 05:20:31 PM »
What's the deal with this guy? Saw a few social media mentions today

He's totally not a US spy.  ;)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #718 on: December 08, 2022, 05:22:31 PM »

Please. Viktor Bout is a bad man, but he's not a global terrorist. There's a reason he received the minimum sentence and would have been paroled in about six years.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #719 on: December 08, 2022, 05:23:23 PM »
Yes. Americans are today less safe due to this  decision.

You're more likely to be harmed by a dentist than Viktor Bout.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #720 on: December 08, 2022, 05:27:35 PM »

I believe the Pentagon said, "People like Viktor Bout shouldn't be fueling bloodshed by selling weapons to warring factions overseas. That's our job."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #721 on: December 08, 2022, 05:54:01 PM »

Not just a basketball player - a basketball player who is at least a minor celebrity, African American and a member of the LGBTQ community. That’s also part of the optics that mattered. None of the other Americans being held hostage checked any of those boxes.

Maybe this was the “best deal available”. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t a bad deal.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #722 on: December 08, 2022, 05:58:43 PM »
Fox News really does put the fear of god in people.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #723 on: December 08, 2022, 06:00:48 PM »
Not just a basketball player - a basketball player who is at least a minor celebrity, African American and a member of the LGBTQ community. That’s also part of the optics that mattered. None of the other Americans being held hostage checked any of those boxes.

Maybe this was the “best deal available”. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t a bad deal.

Ah yes. Nobody ever looks out for the straight white male with money. Minority LGBT females have it so dang cushy in this country. Surely Tom Brady would’ve been left in a Russian jail cell for 9 years!

Lol. Gtfo

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #724 on: December 08, 2022, 06:00:55 PM »
You're more likely to be harmed by a dentist than Viktor Bout.

looks like pakman wants to take over scoop's most mean-spirited, disagreeable and insulting member position with this one.   
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback