[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The War in Ukraine  (Read 47284 times)

jficke13

• All American
Re: The War in Ukraine
« Reply #625 on: October 19, 2022, 07:16:06 AM »
I’m not encouraging the murder of non-combatants, I’m just curious why you chose to describe her in the most sympathetic terms possible.

What I’m suggesting is that The choice to do so is not a neutral one.

To paraphrase Lafayette: if one side said 2+2= 4 and the other says 2+2=6, the neutral position is not to dispassionately explain that some people do arithmetic differently. The base state in this conflict is not “both sides are bad.” That lens is exactly what Moscow wants people to default to because it necessarily minimizes Russian war crimes and the war of aggression they instigated which was the precipitating incident for literally everything that happened as being somehow equivalent to what Ukraine has done in response.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #626 on: October 19, 2022, 08:52:11 AM »
This is the correct take.  While she did suck eggs, she was a non-combatant.  Imagine what would have happened in the US if Iraqi's murdered a US Senator's child like this.

War crimes are war crimes, no matter who commits them.

Russia does this thousands of times, but when Ukraine does it once?

Both sider-ism reigns.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #627 on: October 19, 2022, 08:59:32 AM »
Russia does this thousands of times, but when Ukraine does it once?

Both sider-ism reigns.

Nope.  Stop being such a neo-lib.  Are you trying to say that when one side does a war crime that justifies the other side in doing one?

No one is equating the two.  All war crimes are bad isn't a controversial take, and it certainly isn't 'both sider-ism'.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #628 on: October 19, 2022, 09:24:03 AM »
Are we forgetting that during the start of the war, Russia went in and killed every male over the age of 14 in a village?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #629 on: October 19, 2022, 09:28:27 AM »
Most, but not all, agree that Russia is the bad guy here.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #630 on: October 19, 2022, 09:34:50 AM »
Nope.  Stop being such a neo-lib.  Are you trying to say that when one side does a war crime that justifies the other side in doing one?

No one is equating the two.  All war crimes are bad isn't a controversial take, and it certainly isn't 'both sider-ism'.

100%  There's a subtle but very very dangerous shift in moving from "When you take the context of Russia's actions into account, we should not change course in Ukraine due to Ukraine's wrongful killing of Darya Dugina," to "Ukraine's killing of Darya Dugina was not wrong becuase of the larger context of Russia's actions."

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #631 on: October 19, 2022, 09:45:50 AM »
I’m not encouraging the murder of non-combatants, I’m just curious why you chose to describe her in the most sympathetic terms possible.

"Young woman" is the most sympathetic term possible?

I actually think forgetful was just referencing her in a manner that everyone involved in the discussion would know who he was talking about.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #632 on: October 19, 2022, 09:46:38 AM »

Exactly. It also completely ignores how the discussion here got to this point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #633 on: October 19, 2022, 09:58:51 AM »
Most, but not all, agree that Russia is the bad guy here.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #634 on: October 19, 2022, 10:02:19 AM »
I know.  Just choosing to not name names or point fingers.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #635 on: October 25, 2022, 08:03:07 AM »
Britney Griner lost her appeal and soon will begin serving her sentence -- 9 years in a penal colony.

She is a political prisoner, a statue for Putin's trophy case. Disgusting.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #636 on: October 25, 2022, 09:21:09 PM »
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/10/25/2131106/-Ukraine-update-Russia-s-leverage-over-Europe-has-disintegrated-even-faster-than-it-s-army

"Back in August, Bloomberg carried a piece titled “welcome to Europe’s dark, cold winter.” It warned that even if countries were able to find gas to fill their storage facilities, it might not prevent a winter filled with blackouts, business closures, and an economy in freefall. That’s because prices were soaring and “replenishing storage and reducing demand still may not be enough.”

<snip>

But eight months and one day after Russia began its illegal, unprovoked invasion of Ukraine, the idea that Europe is going to "freeze in the dark" without Russian gas seems laughable. Gas storage facilities in Germany are over 97% full, well ahead of last year's status. That gives the nation a significant buffer against any market disruptions.

Across the entire E.U. storage facilities are over 90% full. And even as Europe has been topping off its tanks, the actual price for natural gas has continued to fall. On Monday, prices reached a four month low, with the per megawatt hour cost dropping below $100—less than a third of cost on the day Putin made that “let them freeze” threat.

Even as gas has become cheaper and more available, the demand for gas has also been falling sharply. That’s because the major use of natural gas in Europe is generating electricity, and the Russian invasion has helped rush forward initiatives on both conservation and renewables that are cutting into the demand for gas. In fact, the biggest threat to renewable projects right now in Europe is … the plunging price of gas, which is making some of the counties and companies that had jumped onto making a clean break between electrical generation and gas rethink their positions."
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #637 on: October 25, 2022, 11:39:12 PM »
The law of unintended consequences.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #638 on: November 09, 2022, 10:36:39 AM »
Apparently Russia has retreated from Kherson and all other territory they held on the east side of the Dnieper. I really have no idea what their end game is right now, but this has been continuously humiliating.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #639 on: November 09, 2022, 03:28:27 PM »
Russia just sucks period.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #640 on: November 09, 2022, 05:12:23 PM »
Apparently Russia has retreated from Kherson and all other territory they held on the east side of the Dnieper. I really have no idea what their end game is right now, but this has been continuously humiliating.

Smart move.  They couldn't possibly defend it over the winter.  There was a rumor online that it was a trap, but who really knows.

Russia will sue for peace this winter... good luck to them with that. 

If they keep losing hundreds of conscripts a day (as reports say) they're society might say enough is enough sooner rather than later.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #641 on: November 12, 2022, 12:31:22 PM »
Putin rose to power with false flag attacks and lies to invade. Seems fitting its the way he will fall from power.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #642 on: November 12, 2022, 11:48:49 PM »
Russia just sucks period.

Moose and Squirrel agree!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #643 on: November 15, 2022, 12:57:44 PM »
There are reports that Russian missiles have hit Poland.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #644 on: November 15, 2022, 01:05:56 PM »
There are reports that Russian missiles have hit Poland.
Where did you see this? That would be huge if true.  (not questioning you, just hadn't seen it yet).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #645 on: November 15, 2022, 01:10:29 PM »
I have read about a missile barrage hitting Ukraine and the Polish PM calling an emergency meeting.  Nothing about missiles hitting Poland.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #646 on: November 15, 2022, 01:11:03 PM »
Looks like a missile or two landed in Poland near the Ukrainian border.

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-11-15-22/h_e7fcb96313566fdeabb625b08f4b4b7f

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #647 on: November 15, 2022, 01:11:44 PM »
I'm am listening to the BBC and I believe now the AP is confirming it. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #648 on: November 15, 2022, 01:13:28 PM »
Putin is still the bad guy.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #649 on: November 15, 2022, 01:23:44 PM »
KYIV, Ukraine — A senior U.S. intelligence official says Russian missiles crossed into NATO member Poland, killing two people.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2022/11/15/russian-missiles-crossed-into-poland-killing-2-us-official-says/10704659002/