[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: New Jersey Gas  (Read 1844 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
New Jersey Gas
« on: March 24, 2022, 05:24:59 PM »
Came across a Facebook post on an article stating the New Jersey pump your own gas law possibly dying in the senate.

These posts are wild. "We cannot allow the untrained public to pump gas, it's an insurance issue"

The hell is going on????

https://www.facebook.com/113588031233/posts/10159351975471234/?sfnsn=mo

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: New Jersey Gas
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 05:44:23 PM »
They do have cheap gas in Jersey.  You just pay a lot more in tolls from Connecticut to get there.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 07:18:08 PM »
They do have cheap gas in Jersey.  You just pay a lot more in tolls from Connecticut to get there.

It's cheaper here than for you guys but not like it used to be. In his last year in office Chris Christie reinstituted a gas tax determined by a sliding scale of traffic on the state roadways. Since then it's been much closer to our neighbors.

The conversation in this state around gas is so insanely childish it speaks straight to a society that is bored, indolent, and searching ever so desperately to manufacture a problem.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 09:00:46 PM »
The entire concept of states that don’t allow people to pump their own gas is baffling.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 09:55:59 PM »
NJ locals can probably speak more to it, but do people normally tip?  I feel like the last 2-3 times I’ve gotten gas in Jersey and I tipped the attendant, they were borderline surprised or at least quite appreciative.

Almost like the thought of having your gas pumped for you is so normal that it’s not even a service anymore

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 10:31:48 PM »
It's probably for the best that people from NJ and Oregon don't pump their own gas.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2022, 11:23:34 PM »
prolly have fewer drive offs
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2022, 11:26:50 PM »
prolly have fewer drive offs

Most places just require pre-pay or pay at the pump these days.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2022, 12:50:41 AM »
NJ locals can probably speak more to it, but do people normally tip?  I feel like the last 2-3 times I’ve gotten gas in Jersey and I tipped the attendant, they were borderline surprised or at least quite appreciative.

Almost like the thought of having your gas pumped for you is so normal that it’s not even a service anymore

Can't speak for NJ, but in OR I haven't seen a single soul tip, and nobody seems to ask for it.  I mean, you're paying for it already, and there isn't an option to DIY.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2022, 07:35:38 AM »

I live in Jersey and it is a double edged sword. Years ago the attendant would wipe your windshield , check your oil and coolant while pumping gas and give you a sheet of stamps that you could redeem for a gift (i.e. bottle opener, pocket knife, etc.). Today they just pump your gas and if you are in a hurry you have to wait your turn for the one attendant which I know can be frustrating for a lot of customers; especially out of staters. It is kind of nice to not have to pump your own gas in bad weather.. The last time I checked gas has come down from a high of 4.39 to 4.05 for regular.

Most stations here are franchised. My neighbor across the street owns 4 Valero stations and his family members do the pumping. To be quite honest I have never seen a local ever tip a gas station attendant, myself included. I guess it would be  like tipping the checkout person at a grocery store or Home Depot.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2022, 08:31:22 AM »
Connecticut just passed a $0.25 per gallon gas tax reduction running from April 1 to June 30. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2022, 08:56:06 AM »

Actually its free , except for the tolls NY charges, to get to New Jersey from Connecticut, but you have to pay to leave the state on your way back.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2022, 09:00:01 AM »
Connecticut just passed a $0.25 per gallon gas tax reduction running from April 1 to June 30.

So now there is less money for infrastructure repair and construction. Gas comes down but the number of unfilled pot holes goes up. Go figure.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2022, 09:09:13 AM »
So now there is less money for infrastructure repair and construction. Gas comes down but the number of unfilled pot holes goes up. Go figure.

Bingo. If everyone just converts to F150s though you hardly feel those potholes.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2022, 09:32:22 AM »
The entire concept of states that don’t allow people to pump their own gas is baffling.

And the bafflement is at such a level that legislators won't even entertain a conversation on the hybrid model of having full service available at every gas station but also self-serving pumps.

It's just a straight "no, we're never changing" whenever this topic arises.

feedback