'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 187711 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Justin
« Reply #1525 on: June 27, 2022, 11:30:42 AM »
12 Upperclassmen were selected out of 58 picks

8 Juniors
4 Seniors

Compare that to 31 underclssmen

11 Sophomores
20 Freshmen

IMO, this is why Justin left.  Being a college upperclassmen is not the profile of a true NBA prospect.

I think you have the cause and effect mixed up.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1526 on: June 27, 2022, 12:24:38 PM »
Without doing any research I have to assume Marquette is toward the top (if not leading) in the amount of four year college guys in the NBA in recent years.

Diener, Novak, Matthews, McNeal, Butler, Crowder, Johnson-Odom, Buycks, Anderson, Wilson, Burton, Howard, Hauser

Some of those are just a cup a coffee but they still made it!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1527 on: June 27, 2022, 03:31:36 PM »
I think you have the cause and effect mixed up.

I thinkn its becoming exceedingly clear that as soon as you're ID'd as a NBA prospect the right move is to get out of college and get into the NBA ecosystem. Playing as an upperclassmen in college is for guys who do not have NBA potential.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1528 on: June 27, 2022, 04:38:33 PM »
I thinkn its becoming exceedingly clear that as soon as you're ID'd as a NBA prospect the right move is to get out of college and get into the NBA ecosystem. Playing as an upperclassmen in college is for guys who do not have NBA potential.
I think you are right. However, a player needs to be realistic about their NBA prospects. Lewis did not get drafted and he probably would not have gotten drafted next year or the year after if he stayed in college.
Were there any players who pulled out of lasts draft, who ended up getting drafted this year?  Generally, coming back to college is not going to improve your draft status. Players need to decide, if in the long run, a college degree is more important than doing something else, if they are not going to get drafted. It should be easier to decide to stay in college with the NIL.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1529 on: June 27, 2022, 05:14:53 PM »
Were there any players who pulled out of lasts draft, who ended up getting drafted this year? 

All of these players were eligible for last year's draft but came back for another year of college and got drafted. The bolded I believe are the only two who declared last season, withdrew/returned to school, and got drafted this year.

Round 1, Pick 4: Keegan Murray
Round 1, Pick 5: Jaden Ivey
Round 1, Pick 6:  Bennedict Mathurin
Round 1, Pick 10: Johnny Davis
Round 1, Pick 12: Jalen Williams
Round 1, Pick 14: Ochai Agbaji
Round 1, Pick 15: Mark Williams
Round 1, Pick 17: Tari Eason
Round 1, Pick 18: Dalen Terry
Round 1, Pick 19: Jake LaRavia
Round 1, Pick 20: Christian Braun
Round 1, Pick 22: Walker Kessler
Round 1, Pick 23: David Roddy
Round 1, Pick 26: Wendell Moore Jr
Round 2, Pick 31: Andrew Nembhard
Round 2, Pick 33: Christian Koloko
Round 2, Pick 34: Jaylin Williams
Round 2, Pick 41: EJ Liddell
Round 2, Pick 44: Ryan Rollins
Round 2, Pick 47: Vince Williams Jr
Round 2, Pick 49: Isaiah Mobley
Round 2, Pick 51: Tyrese Martin
Round 2, Pick 57: Jabari Walker

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1530 on: June 27, 2022, 05:42:39 PM »
All of these players were eligible for last year's draft but came back for another year of college and got drafted. The bolded I believe are the only two who declared last season, withdrew/returned to school, and got drafted this year.

Round 1, Pick 4: Keegan Murray
Round 1, Pick 5: Jaden Ivey
Round 1, Pick 6:  Bennedict Mathurin
Round 1, Pick 10: Johnny Davis
Round 1, Pick 12: Jalen Williams
Round 1, Pick 14: Ochai Agbaji
Round 1, Pick 15: Mark Williams
Round 1, Pick 17: Tari Eason
Round 1, Pick 18: Dalen Terry
Round 1, Pick 19: Jake LaRavia
Round 1, Pick 20: Christian Braun
Round 1, Pick 22: Walker Kessler
Round 1, Pick 23: David Roddy
Round 1, Pick 26: Wendell Moore Jr
Round 2, Pick 31: Andrew Nembhard
Round 2, Pick 33: Christian Koloko
Round 2, Pick 34: Jaylin Williams
Round 2, Pick 41: EJ Liddell
Round 2, Pick 44: Ryan Rollins
Round 2, Pick 47: Vince Williams Jr
Round 2, Pick 49: Isaiah Mobley
Round 2, Pick 51: Tyrese Martin
Round 2, Pick 57: Jabari Walker
Thanks for putting this analysis together .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1531 on: June 28, 2022, 07:35:40 AM »
Without doing any research I have to assume Marquette is toward the top (if not leading) in the amount of four year college guys in the NBA in recent years.

Diener, Novak, Matthews, McNeal, Butler, Crowder, Johnson-Odom, Buycks, Anderson, Wilson, Burton, Howard, Hauser

Some of those are just a cup a coffee but they still made it!

Add Lazar, Vander and Henry...although Hauser and Burton may be deletes based on their feedback.  Of the recruits: Crean with six including Wade. Buzz with eight (4 JUCOs). Wojo with three (waiting on Lewis and Garcia).

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1532 on: June 28, 2022, 09:41:50 AM »
Add Lazar, Vander and Henry...although Hauser and Burton may be deletes based on their feedback.  Of the recruits: Crean with six including Wade. Buzz with eight (4 JUCOs). Wojo with three (waiting on Lewis and Garcia).

Oops I forgot Lazar.  I didn't include Vander and Henry because they weren't four year college players.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1533 on: June 29, 2022, 06:16:55 AM »

i realize there are always going to be exceptions-enter drew timme, gonzaga, withdrew from NBA draft and is returning for his senior season. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1534 on: June 29, 2022, 07:29:13 AM »
  i realize there are always going to be exceptions-enter drew timme, gonzaga, withdrew from NBA draft and is returning for his senior season.

Timme isn't an exception. Lens said "Playing as an upperclassman in college is for guys who do not have NBA potential." Timme is a great college player, but he's not someone who will leave a mark on the NBA. We're seeing a stark divide between the qualities that make an All-American big in college and someone that can't sniff an NBA roster. Guys like Timme, Tshiebwe, Cockburn, all great, truly great, college players, but don't project into today's NBA.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1535 on: June 30, 2022, 07:47:34 AM »
For all of those that think players should stay ion school, Patrick Baldwin was drafted 1 week ago and said he's already benefiting from a NBA training staff.

"I think I just learned how to take care of my body a lot more while I was here already," Baldwin said. "I thought I took care of it great before here. But now that I've stepped into this environment, they're giving me stuff to do before practice, after practice. Stuff while I'm just laying around at the hotel.

"I'm learning how to take care of my body and use all the resources to make sure I'm putting my best foot forward every time I step onto the floor."

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1536 on: June 30, 2022, 08:40:57 AM »
Timme isn't an exception. Lens said "Playing as an upperclassman in college is for guys who do not have NBA potential." Timme is a great college player, but he's not someone who will leave a mark on the NBA. We're seeing a stark divide between the qualities that make an All-American big in college and someone that can't sniff an NBA roster. Guys like Timme, Tshiebwe, Cockburn, all great, truly great, college players, but don't project into today's NBA.

Exactly.   Duke-UNC is a perfect example.  One roster was built for college, one was built for the pros.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #1537 on: June 30, 2022, 10:47:31 AM »
For all of those that think players should stay ion school, Patrick Baldwin was drafted 1 week ago and said he's already benefiting from a NBA training staff.

"I think I just learned how to take care of my body a lot more while I was here already," Baldwin said. "I thought I took care of it great before here. But now that I've stepped into this environment, they're giving me stuff to do before practice, after practice. Stuff while I'm just laying around at the hotel.

"I'm learning how to take care of my body and use all the resources to make sure I'm putting my best foot forward every time I step onto the floor."

UWM doesn’t have top level training?  I don’t believe it.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #1538 on: August 11, 2022, 10:59:29 PM »
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/bulls-rookie-justin-lewis-suffers-potentially-serious-knee-injury

Terrible luck for Justin as he is feared to have torn his ACL participating in a workout away from the team
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 11:01:22 PM by Otule's Glass Eye »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1539 on: August 12, 2022, 04:27:43 AM »
Ugh. What a nightmare.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1540 on: August 12, 2022, 06:29:36 AM »
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/bulls-rookie-justin-lewis-suffers-potentially-serious-knee-injury

Terrible luck for Justin as he is feared to have torn his ACL participating in a workout away from the team

That’s awful
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1541 on: August 12, 2022, 07:04:20 AM »
Ughhhh

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #1542 on: August 12, 2022, 08:17:54 AM »
brutal. could be the diffrence between nba and eurrope

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #1543 on: August 12, 2022, 08:29:53 AM »
Man, this makes me sick to my stomach.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1544 on: August 12, 2022, 08:57:59 AM »
Ugh, brutal news for JLew. Hopefully it's not as serious as they fear.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1545 on: August 12, 2022, 09:00:51 AM »

Markus Howard, a’ina?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1546 on: August 12, 2022, 09:07:09 AM »
Markus Howard, a’ina?

One of the greatest players in Marquette history
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1547 on: August 12, 2022, 09:09:25 AM »
Markus Howard, a’ina?

yep

One of the greatest players in Marquette history

yep

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1548 on: August 12, 2022, 09:11:04 AM »

Sad to hear about this. Hoping for a full recovery.

Here was what I could find on the interwebs about guys who get hurt while on two-way contracts. It's from 2017, so I don't know if it's been updated at all.

The player can rehab with their NBA club and it’s medical staff, and as long as they don’t participate in team activities (film study, practice, etc.) then these days do not count towards their 45-day maximum.

Teams have some flexibility here. Depending on how long the player will be out, the team may choose to count their days toward the 45-day max, so that player reaches the maximum earning potential of their deal. If the player is out only a partial part of the season, then they may opt to save those 45 days for when the player is healthy and can contribute to the NBA club in some capacity. There is a ton of gray here.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1549 on: August 12, 2022, 09:20:07 AM »
Good thing he gowne