[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 187527 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Justin
« Reply #1500 on: June 24, 2022, 01:59:42 PM »
I guess Shaka was just dumb leaving Lewis in those dozens - or was it hundreds - of times that Justin was disinterested. Maybe the coach was disinterested too? Or maybe he actually was very interested in winning, knew Lewis wasn’t lazy, and didn’t bench him as he repeatedly had benched others.

Take a break.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1501 on: June 24, 2022, 02:01:47 PM »

Not that it matters, but I would say I noticed Lewis being lazy maybe 10-15 times +/- a few. The first Creighton game it was mentioned 2-4 by the announcer and it was obvious to anyone that is being honest, IMO. Now, if you never noticed it or think it was no big deal, I am fine with that. Not going to argue or point out why the coach is stupid, lazy or any other craziness you can think of. Always an extreme with you these days.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1502 on: June 24, 2022, 02:35:35 PM »
I don't know what the right adjective is, but I certainly saw Justin get frustrated at the end of the team's unconscious streak/beginning of the mediocre part of the big east schedule.  He was getting position unchallenged before the BEast coaches changed how they guarded him.  The change was effective and he couldnt back people down as easily and the three was more contested. 

The UCONN game in particular was one where he was visibly frustrated and it seemed to impact his performance.  If i recall correctly, that was on the just after the VU game in philly where he had maybe his best performance of the season.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1503 on: June 24, 2022, 03:13:59 PM »
I guess Shaka was just dumb leaving Lewis in those dozens - or was it hundreds - of times that Justin was disinterested. Maybe the coach was disinterested too? Or maybe he actually was very interested in winning, knew Lewis wasn’t lazy, and didn’t bench him as he repeatedly had benched others.

We Are Marquette!

Shaka wasn't dumb. He's like every other coach in the country, the star player gets more leash than the other players on the team. A star player doesn't give his full attention or intensity on a possession, he stays in the game. A bench player does the same things and he gets the hook. A star having a bad night is often still better than a bench player having a good night, it's just common sense.

I do think calling Justin lazy is well lazy. Part of basketball is mental toughness. The ability to keep up focus and attention though ~140 possessions of basketball is not a natural skill that every player has. It's something that needs to be developed, just like any other basketball skill. A lot of young players struggle with this, like a lot of young (and even older people too!) people struggle with it in the classroom or the workplace. I think that was a legitimate concern with Lewis last season. Doesn't mean he's lazy or doesn't care, just that it is a weak point of his game right now and he needs to work on it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1504 on: June 24, 2022, 03:21:44 PM »
I never once thought Justin was lazy.  I saw him frustrated, but never thought 'lazy'.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1505 on: June 24, 2022, 05:12:12 PM »
I never once thought Justin was lazy.  I saw him frustrated, but never thought 'lazy'.
Yes, like I mentioned before it started to happen more and more once MU was figured out by coaches, and he became the focus of team defenses.
Goal is National Championship

Shooter McGavin

• All American

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #1507 on: June 24, 2022, 06:06:06 PM »
Bulls fans seem to be digging this pickup.  I agree with them.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1508 on: June 24, 2022, 06:48:49 PM »
Bulls fans seem to be digging this pickup.  I agree with them.

Hope they’re right. Marquette has a pretty good history of players outperforming their scouting reports.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1509 on: June 25, 2022, 06:20:01 AM »
The last Marquette guy that started out with the Bulls did alright.

I am starting to think the two-way from the Bulls was the guarantee. Donovan is tight with Shaka and the Bulls didn't have a second round pick. Tell JL if you fall, we'll give you a shot and Chicago ends up with a guy all the scouts had as a 40-50 talent. It's not ideal, but it certainly could be worse for him. And no guarantee his stock improves if he comes back. For every Ochai Agbaji, there's two Max Abmus and Johnny Juzangs.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1510 on: June 25, 2022, 07:35:52 AM »
If O-Max ever hesitates out of frustration for even half a second after missing a shot or committing a turnover, some of the same O-Max fans will be calling him lazy.

did one of your grand kids hack your computer or is your blood sugar running a little high-geez, any argument or disagreement is met with comments you load up to just try to shut people down.  let go and let...umm, let...nevermind
don't...don't don't don't don't

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1511 on: June 25, 2022, 08:07:26 AM »

I am starting to think the two-way from the Bulls was the guarantee. Donovan is tight with Shaka and the Bulls didn't have a second round pick. Tell JL if you fall, we'll give you a shot and Chicago ends up with a guy all the scouts had as a 40-50 talent. It's not ideal, but it certainly could be worse for him. And no guarantee his stock improves if he comes back. For every Ochai Agbaji, there's two Max Abmus and Johnny Juzangs.
There may have been a guarantee, but I don't think it had anything to do with the Shaka Donovan friendship. It would have to do with JL's talent.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1512 on: June 25, 2022, 08:13:37 AM »
   did one of your grand kids hack your computer or is your blood sugar running a little high-geez, any argument or disagreement is met with comments you load up to just try to shut people down.  let go and let...umm, let...nevermind
Lazy post, no upper case to begin paragraph, missing question mark, and very lazy paragraph conclusion. Lazy, lazy and uninterested body language throughout the paragraph, sad!
Goal is National Championship

GOO

• All American
« Reply #1513 on: June 25, 2022, 09:25:39 AM »
Shaka wasn't dumb. He's like every other coach in the country, the star player gets more leash than the other players on the team. A star player doesn't give his full attention or intensity on a possession, he stays in the game. A bench player does the same things and he gets the hook. A star having a bad night is often still better than a bench player having a good night, it's just common sense.

I do think calling Justin lazy is well lazy. Part of basketball is mental toughness. The ability to keep up focus and attention though ~140 possessions of basketball is not a natural skill that every player has. It's something that needs to be developed, just like any other basketball skill. A lot of young players struggle with this, like a lot of young (and even older people too!) people struggle with it in the classroom or the workplace. I think that was a legitimate concern with Lewis last season. Doesn't mean he's lazy or doesn't care, just that it is a weak point of his game right now and he needs to work on it.

Very well said and explained. Shaka talks about mental toughness and maturity and athleticism etc., and that they don’t all arrive for most kids at the same time. Have to grow and learn. Heck, I’d guess they all arrive for very very few players on a consistent basis, day in and day out, or all game long.

as you relate it to the rest of us, I wonder how many of us could us maintained focus in a classroom non-stop for 50 or 90 minutes. I’d guess none of us. Would take a lot of effort and time learning how to, and even then there would be better days than others. Maintaining constant intensity is pretty darn hard in anything we do mental or physical. Combine them and it is basically impossible. Throw in some frustration and people working just as hard against you to stop you, and good luck.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1514 on: June 25, 2022, 11:06:00 AM »

That's fair. The only thing I'd point out is that Shaka did bench Morsell (arguably his other "star") several times. And he even benched his only point guard; IIRC many Scoopers weren't thrilled with that. But as usual, a very reasonable observation, TAMU.

We all need lessons on posting etiquette from a guy who regularly quotes Tucker Carlson on the conspiracy theory du jour.

Not that it matters, but I would say I noticed Lewis being lazy maybe 10-15 times +/- a few. The first Creighton game it was mentioned 2-4 by the announcer and it was obvious to anyone that is being honest, IMO. Now, if you never noticed it or think it was no big deal, I am fine with that. Not going to argue or point out why the coach is stupid, lazy or any other craziness you can think of. Always an extreme with you these days.

There was nothing extreme about my post. Otherwise, we'll agree to disagree on this subject. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 11:07:48 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1515 on: June 25, 2022, 03:15:23 PM »
Did any of us here think Lewis was a lazy player? I did not.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1516 on: June 25, 2022, 03:20:26 PM »

Forgot about Juzang. Probably would have been a first rounder if he left last year.

DrJay24

• Walk-On
« Reply #1517 on: June 25, 2022, 03:22:21 PM »

I thought he often had terrible body language that made him seem disinterested. Lazy?  I wouldn’t say lazy but there are definitely higher motor guys than him.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1518 on: June 25, 2022, 04:08:50 PM »

No, but his defensive footspeed is slightly slow so he'll get stuck with this label.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #1519 on: June 25, 2022, 10:13:09 PM »
https://theathletic.com/3381724/2022/06/24/nba-draft-2022-surprises-value-picks/

Vecenie had Justin as his top player not drafted.

I'm curious.  On the people that believe he dropped because of body language or "laziness"?  How do you explain PBJ getting drafted in the first round?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1520 on: June 25, 2022, 10:50:36 PM »
https://theathletic.com/3381724/2022/06/24/nba-draft-2022-surprises-value-picks/

I'm curious.  On the people that believe he dropped because of body language or "laziness"?  How do you explain PBJ getting drafted in the first round?

That was another player I thought of. Injury concerns, horribly underperformed at a low level of basketball, stock supposedly plummeting, terrible Combine measurable, and I think *gasp* even sat out scrimmages. Yet he was a first round pick.

Listen, if Justin was a first round talent and his body language was bad, he’d have been a first round pick. Teams believe in their ability to get the best out of players. It’s not like it was a discipline or legal issue if his biggest knock is bad body language. The fact of the matter is he was a mid second round to undrafted talent and a bunch of international guys were stashed ahead of him.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 10:53:41 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1521 on: June 25, 2022, 11:08:40 PM »

For the past 3-4 years, PBJ was considered safely one of the five best players in his class, and was at one point ranked #1. If you're Golden State, is it that big of a risk rolling the dice on a guy who a year ago would've been a no doubt lottery pick? Sure, there are concerns, but taking a risk on someone who the talent consensus was "potentially the best of all these guys" at his peak is different than someone whose highest consensus was early to mid second round.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1522 on: June 26, 2022, 06:00:50 AM »

I watched the whole draft. It seemed to me once you go past the first 45 picks teams were more interested in drafting young foreign players than they were in drafting college players.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1523 on: June 26, 2022, 09:40:11 PM »
I watched the whole draft. It seemed to me once you go past the first 45 picks teams were more interested in drafting young foreign players than they were in drafting college players.

Stash them, let them develop aboard for free. Maybe they come over, maybe not. No risk, high reward.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1524 on: June 27, 2022, 10:59:28 AM »
12 Upperclassmen were selected out of 58 picks

8 Juniors
4 Seniors

Compare that to 31 underclssmen

11 Sophomores
20 Freshmen

IMO, this is why Justin left.  Being a college upperclassmen is not the profile of a true NBA prospect.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

feedback