[Today at 11:24:41 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:16:57 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Calm, Kool- Aid and Collected  (Read 9029 times)

MU NY

• Starter
Calm, Kool- Aid and Collected
« on: February 14, 2008, 03:02:15 PM »
I have been staring at a full glass of Kool Aid and am pretty thirsty right now but I just have a hard time with this team and its one-and-only-one dimensional offense. 

If they can manage to blow through the zones, kick and hit a reasonable amount of high percentage shots, we could go on a great run but we just don't seem to have the weapons.  My guess is if we can significantly ramp up the d and create baskets in transition against teams like Pitt, Syr and Gtown we will have a lot of fun...probably means we keep those teams under 70-75 points too. 

It may sound strange but I think the second dimension to our offense is not a classic big man, etc but rather, our defense. 

"Tawk amongst ya'selves" (Linda Richmond)

tower912

• All American
Re: Calm, Kool- Aid and Collected
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 03:11:50 PM »
Try this for blue and gold kool aid.   This team has turned the corner.  We played well against ND (seriously.  A three point road conference loss to a ranked team is no disgrace), we blew out Seton Hall, Cub looks healthy, DJ looks healthy, Fitz looks healthy.    The potential is there to run the table in the BEast, get a first round bye, make it to the conference semi's and pick up a 4 seed.    There.    Having said all that, we all know what our team's weaknesses are.   So do all the other conference teams.  To succeed, they have to play through their weaknesses.  This team may actually be better suited for the dance.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 03:28:33 PM »
how about this to flavor your Kool-Aid?  According to Luke Winn, Elite Eight teams almost always have top 25 Defensive Efficiencies and quality Offensive Efficiencies. 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/luke_winn/01/02/early.warnings/index.html

Marquette, even after all of our troubles, is still #16 on Offense and #17 on Defense according to Pomeroy. 

http://kenpom.com/sr.php?team=Marquette&y=2008
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

sigep80

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 04:22:08 PM »
Gimme a glass of that!!

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 04:41:02 PM »
It may sound strange but I think the second dimension to our offense is not a classic big man, etc but rather, our defense. 

Strange? The only thing strange is that you would suggest that our defense is the second dimension. Its not second, its first. As I have been repeating over and over again, and no doubt annoying people as a result, when we win it is because of our defense, and when we lose it is because of our defense (or lack there of). When we play great D, the offense is fine. When we struggle defensively, the offense looks even worse. My number one frustration with this team has been that they seem to let missed shots or lack of offensive success affect the way they defend, as opposed to putting defense first and letting the offense take care of itself - which it inevitably does when they play great D.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 05:27:51 PM »
I have been staring at a full glass of Kool Aid and am pretty thirsty right now but I just have a hard time with this team and its one-and-only-one dimensional offense. 

If they can manage to blow through the zones, kick and hit a reasonable amount of high percentage shots, we could go on a great run but we just don't seem to have the weapons.  My guess is if we can significantly ramp up the d and create baskets in transition against teams like Pitt, Syr and Gtown we will have a lot of fun...probably means we keep those teams under 70-75 points too. 

The only thing strange is that you seemed to grab onto losses rather than who we lost to or where we lost.  It's one thing to lose 6 games...it's quite another when 5 of them are to ranked teams and a 6th was to a formerly ranked team.  How that leads to conclusions like .... "we will only win two more Big East games" is beyond me.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 06:00:54 PM »
I'm all for this team and I believe we will finish much stronger than the past few years.....but blue and gold koolaid sounds gross. I'll stick with some purple drink.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 02:05:48 AM »
I like drinking Kool-Aid also.  IMO our shooting is what it is, which is well poor.  Hence, besides playing good defense and rebounding defensively to stay in the game we need offensive rebounds.  If not, I will be hearing Homer on the radio saying "One and done".  And see the score deficit slowly increase as we have seen when we were limited to one shot.  Because if we are banking on one shot and some good defense to get us the victory, it just ain't going to happen.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 05:18:12 AM »
This team reminds me of the Giants who had an up and down season. Not perfect, but champions.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 07:59:32 AM »
I'll take some.

-Jerel has hit a few jumpers and seems to have begun finding his touch around the hoop again. (driving to the bucket and actually hitting the lay-up).
-DJ's shot has looked much better the last 2 games. Closer to the first several games.

Oh, and Hayward is a BEAST

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 08:31:02 AM »
Navin- I agree with the D leading the O in terms of our performances...we do tend to feed off of our D in terms of confidence on the offensive side, no question.

Chicos- I am not psychic but if this team is like the Giants as MU Warrior suggests, I will sit back and relax...

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 05:35:43 PM »
This team reminds me of the Giants who had an up and down season. Not perfect, but champions.

OH YEAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 07:00:41 PM »
Navin- I agree with the D leading the O in terms of our performances...we do tend to feed off of our D in terms of confidence on the offensive side, no question.

Chicos- I am not psychic but if this team is like the Giants as MU Warrior suggests, I will sit back and relax...

I don't think they are like the Giants....but I do think going into that last game we would win more than 2 Big East games...we've already won one, and I think 3 or 4 more are likely, 5 possible and 6.....well I won't go there.

farmdaddy

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 10:15:56 PM »

Nice Coffee Talk reference but tonight I am slammin down Kool Aid!

mviale

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 10:20:06 PM »
5-2 with a 3 pt loss to ND in last 7 games.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259