Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DumpPaul  (Read 5766 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: DumpPaul
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2022, 03:10:52 PM »
Brakes need to be pumped about incoming freshman in general. It’s a big jump and everyone reacts to it differently. Much better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed early.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2022, 05:13:03 PM »
I actually think a big with any sort of offensive competence would really do wonders for this system.

With our sets being mainly pick and roll, you must be able to get offense from the screen setter who can receive a drop pass while rolling to the basket.  It keeps the defense honest, and forces them to stay closer to the basket to cut off passing lanes for entry.  Oso can't catch an entry pass, and Kuath is extremely limited on what he can do offensively.

Because defenses don't have to be preoccupied by what our bigs do after they set a screen, they can play 4 out and extend the defense to the perimeter.  This ruins the floor spacing and greatly disrupts the ability to move the ball on the perimeter...things that were working very well for us in January.

Now when we get into halfcourt sets, we see a lot of iso out past the 3 point line and the offense grinds to a halt because there are no easy passing lanes. This forces our guards to either dribble drive or pull up for a lot of midrange jump shots.  We don't have many guards that are good at the dribble drive, and really only Justin and Morsell can reliably hit midrange jumpers.  It also leaves guys out on the perimeter, aka really poor positions for offensive rebounds, which has been one of our biggest weaknesses over the course of the season.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2022, 07:17:49 PM »
Your PG expertise is outstanding.

He can dunk, so I'd be careful, Doc.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2022, 07:52:28 PM »

Thank you. Relying on analytics like Value Add show Derrick Wilson being better than Tyler Kolek. If you want to agree with that, well it will be as silly as your suggestion that us slowing tempo by less than one second per possession was the reason our offense took a big step up earlier this year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2022, 07:55:19 PM »
Thank you. Relying on analytics like Value Add show Derrick Wilson being better than Tyler Kolek. If you want to agree with that, well it will be as silly as your suggestion that us slowing tempo by less than one second per possession was the reason our offense took a big step up earlier this year.

Relying on you, Magic Dawson was better than Andrew Rowsey. And Tyler Kolek is better than Dom James and Markus Howard.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2022, 08:14:01 PM »

Again, rather than attacking advanced stats (or me or 82), explain how Tyler is the best PG since Travis Diener? #eyetest?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2022, 06:49:26 AM »
Remember, dude dunked in HS!
Goal is National Championship

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2022, 08:20:58 AM »
Again, rather than attacking advanced stats (or me or 82), explain how Tyler is the best PG since Travis Diener? #eyetest?

I've done this for you before.  My measurement of a PG is simple:  Do you make your teammates on the floor better players.

If you don't think at the top of the opposing team's scouting report is how to defend/nullify Kolek your basketball expertise is lacking.  He's the straw that stirs the drink. 

And once again, the stat Shaka values most - deflections - Kolek is the team leader.  Further, his Assist Rate is 2x that of the second best assist man on the team.

Has Kolek had some struggles?  Yes.  Was DePaul one of his worst games of the season?  Yes.  Will this team go anywhere with him playing poorly?  No. 

Then again I could be wrong.  Maybe Stevie Mitchell takes the reigns and we go on a run playing one-on-one/iso basketball.

feedback