[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Campus Alert  (Read 7242 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Campus Alert
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2022, 09:33:44 AM »
You get a woody minimizing this, don’t you. Quite the circle jerk.

Oh, and you’ll need to have the last word, too.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2022, 09:34:17 AM »

But the uptick is everywhere.  And its not just crime, it's self-destructive behavior of all sorts.  Car accidents are up.  Drug overdoeses are up. 

Ding! Ding! Ding!
Bad behavior in general is up. More assh*les on airplanes. Schools are reporting more suspensions and other disciplinary issues. Violence in the stands at sporting events is on the rise.
The culprit here isn't BLM. It's COVID.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2022, 09:35:03 AM »
The January 6th riots were wrong but not as deadly as everyone wants them to be. There was no coup, no insurrection, just a bunch of dumb people with bad intentions.

Coup is defined as "a sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government."

1/6/21 wasn't a coup only because it failed.

But it most certainly was an attempt at a sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government. By definition, it was an attempted coup, and that's what it should be called. Although "violent insurrection," which is what the Senate minority leader and a few other conservative Republicans are finally publicly calling it, works too.

people will be talking about Jan. 6th for as long as I have talked about the Al era at MU.

I sure as heck hope so, Goose, because we need to remember one of the darkest days in American history, learn from it and try to make sure something similar never happens again. IMHO Al McGuire would have thought it was important to keep talking about, too ... and, on a side note, I am 100% certain he would have vocally supported BLM. He probably would have marched right alongside the protesters.

That one of America's two political parties has officially declared what happened on 1/6/21 "legitimate political discourse" -- and that the same party has canceled two GOP congresspeople because they've had the temerity to seek the truth about the attempted coup -- tells us everything we need to know about what's going on in this country.

Meanwhile, in Wisconsin -- which apparently has become a dystopian hellscape whose college campuses are war zones -- the state GOP is still trying to decertify the 2020 election, steal the vote from its residents, and reinstate the Inciter In Chief.

No word on whether JFK Jr. would step in as vice president now that Mike Pence has been hung.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2022, 09:35:34 AM »

I take it this is how one responds when he has nothing intelligent to say.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2022, 09:39:42 AM »

Oh, and you’ll need to have the last word, too.

Tell me exactly what I have minimized?  Crime is up everywhere.  It's not my problem that you apparently think it is only affecting your little universe. 

And yeah, I reserve the right to respond to your comment.  As you do mine.  But if you want to runaway to your little underboard safe space, that's fine by me.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2022, 09:43:45 AM »
Classic

I score that a 9.5.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2022, 09:45:38 AM »
Classic

I score that a 9.5.

Stealing others bits...this is what we have resorted too?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2022, 09:48:10 AM »
Classic

I score that a 9.5.

Joke theft is a crime, sir.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2022, 09:57:36 AM »
Could you find some examples of AOC or Omar saying the whole system should be abolished (without, of course, any replacement). Are you really suggesting they're advocating for a system in which murderers are never incarcerated?

As for violent offenders getting out too easily ... we agree! That's one reason why the cash bail system makes no sense. It allows a well-off killer or rapist go free, while a poor shoplifter or drug user sits in jail. Pretrial release should be dependent on the defendant's background and the nature of the offense, not financial means.
And by clearing out the jails of people who really don't need to be there, we create less overcrowding pressure on the system that can often force the release of the truly dangerous.
  These are only a couple of examples.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/tlaib-tweet-saying-policing-should-be-abolished-after-daunte-wright-killing-draws-cheers-jeers

https://www.discoverthenetworks.org/news/ocasio-cortez-i-want-to-abolish-our-carceral-system

I lumped Omar into this discussion, but admittedly that may be incorrect and that she only advocated the dismantling of the police system. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2022, 09:59:14 AM »
How many innocent people have the Twin Cities police departments killed since the BLM protests?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2022, 10:20:12 AM »

I started the ‘scale of 10’ here.

I feel violated and victimized.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2022, 10:46:42 AM »
I started the ‘scale of 10’ here.

I feel violated and victimized.

Just another victim of the woke mob and cancel culture.  I’ll Venmo 10% of my Scoops earnings to you
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2022, 10:47:31 AM »
  These are only a couple of examples.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/tlaib-tweet-saying-policing-should-be-abolished-after-daunte-wright-killing-draws-cheers-jeers

https://www.discoverthenetworks.org/news/ocasio-cortez-i-want-to-abolish-our-carceral-system

I lumped Omar into this discussion, but admittedly that may be incorrect and that she only advocated the dismantling of the police system.

What you've done here is take snippets of what they've said  - a two-sentence statement and a tweet - and left out the part about how neither have called for an end to incarceration, which you initially claimed. Rather, they've rather advocated for the replacement of the current system with another system.
Whether that's a good idea is debatable (I think it's not ... reform, not replacement is the answer), but it's no use having that debate by offering misleading/wrong accounts of what each side is saying.

Now, if you want to take the time to read this tweet thread from AOC laying out her position, have at it. I think you'll see she's advocating for a smaller prison system - because, you know, that's exactly what she says - not the elimination of it.

"Our lawmaking process means we come to solutions together, &either way we should work to an end where our prison system is dramatically smaller than it is today."

https://twitter.com/aoc/status/1181207076082724864

No point in responding re: Tlaib, because she said nothing there about ending incarceration.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 10:49:27 AM by Pakuni »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2022, 11:05:36 AM »

Crime is up everywhere.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2022, 11:33:17 AM »
Coup is defined as "a sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government."

1/6/21 wasn't a coup only because it failed.

But it most certainly was an attempt at a sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government. By definition, it was an attempted coup, and that's what it should be called. Although "violent insurrection," which is what the Senate minority leader and a few other conservative Republicans are finally publicly calling it, works too.

I sure as heck hope so, Goose, because we need to remember one of the darkest days in American history, learn from it and try to make sure something similar never happens again. IMHO Al McGuire would have thought it was important to keep talking about, too ... and, on a side note, I am 100% certain he would have vocally supported BLM. He probably would have marched right alongside the protesters.

That one of America's two political parties has officially declared what happened on 1/6/21 "legitimate political discourse" -- and that the same party has canceled two GOP congresspeople because they've had the temerity to seek the truth about the attempted coup -- tells us everything we need to know about what's going on in this country.

Meanwhile, in Wisconsin -- which apparently has become a dystopian hellscape whose college campuses are war zones -- the state GOP is still trying to decertify the 2020 election, steal the vote from its residents, and reinstate the Inciter In Chief.

No word on whether JFK Jr. would step in as vice president now that Mike Pence has been hung.

Mike

One unarmed female veteran was killed on January 6th. By the police. The “army” trying to overthrow the world’s largest superpower was small (1000? maybe 1500?) and mostly unarmed.

Nobody here has defended the rioters. Everyone here agrees that it was an awful day in our history. But hyperbole and repetition won’t make it something that some people here and most people in the US don’t think it was.

I’ll never change any minds and neither will you. From here on out I’m going to at least try to give it a rest.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2022, 11:55:57 AM »
What you've done here is take snippets of what they've said  - a two-sentence statement and a tweet - and left out the part about how neither have called for an end to incarceration, which you initially claimed. Rather, they've rather advocated for the replacement of the current system with another system.
Whether that's a good idea is debatable (I think it's not ... reform, not replacement is the answer), but it's no use having that debate by offering misleading/wrong accounts of what each side is saying.

Now, if you want to take the time to read this tweet thread from AOC laying out her position, have at it. I think you'll see she's advocating for a smaller prison system - because, you know, that's exactly what she says - not the elimination of it.

"Our lawmaking process means we come to solutions together, &either way we should work to an end where our prison system is dramatically smaller than it is today."

So you say she’s advocating for a “smaller” prison system. She says she’s advocating for a “dramatically smaller” prison system. What exactly (according to her) is “dramatic”? Unless we know that we don’t really know what she’s advocating. 10% would mean smaller, 90% would be dramatically so. It would also be really close to abolition.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2022, 11:59:18 AM »
So you say she’s advocating for a “smaller” prison system. She says she’s advocating for a “dramatically smaller” prison system.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pedantry

🏀

• All American
« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2022, 12:06:19 PM »
Mike

One unarmed female veteran was killed on January 6th. By the police. The “army” trying to overthrow the world’s largest superpower was small (1000? maybe 1500?) and mostly unarmed.

Nobody here has defended the rioters. Everyone here agrees that it was an awful day in our history. But hyperbole and repetition won’t make it something that some people here and most people in the US don’t think it was.

I’ll never change any minds and neither will you. From here on out I’m going to at least try to give it a rest.

Using your logic, let's just agree that is was another poorly executed plan of the Trump administration.

feedback