[April 19, 2024, 11:53:22 PM]

santa rosa flirt adult by JakeBarnes
[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Without Sanogo, there'd be no UConn off to the races today.  (Read 5659 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
Re: Without Sanogo, there'd be no UConn off to the races today.
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2022, 08:45:29 AM »
Jamal did really come around his last year at MU in rebounding.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2022, 09:01:21 AM »
Honestly, yesterday gave me more optimism that we can make some noise in March. UConn is somewhat our kryptonite. Teams like them, Kentucky, Purdue, and Houston that clean up the glass are going to give us trouble. The good news is UConn is somewhat a rarity in that most of the teams like that will be on the top two seed lines and we shouldn't see them until the second weekend.

In addition, they did well keeping Kolek out of the lane and cutting off his passing angles when he did drive. That's because the Big East teams are studying us and taking away what we do best. In the long-term future, Kolek will hopefully develop his game so taking him out of what he wants to do is harder, but in the short term teams in the NCAA Tournament won't have the familiarity or the time to scout us the way our Big East brethren have done. I don't think too many double-digit seeds will be able to deny Kolek the way Big East teams do, and if we can advance it will be difficult to scout what he does and what our defense does on a 48-hour turnaround.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2022, 09:03:32 AM »
UCONN strengths matched up perfectly with Marquette weaknesses.
Not enough of being to utilize Marquette's strengths.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 09:05:03 AM by NCMUFan »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2022, 09:42:13 AM »
6-7 overall now too.  Hate being under .500 against them.  JFB owned UConn.  At least it felt that way.

Because he hit the corner fade away jumper against an NIT UConn team that went 7-11 in BE play. He actually lost to the 2011 walker team that was tied with us at .500 in BE play, and lost to the 08-09 team in the D James goes down game.

JFB was 1-2 against UConn, 2 of which were extremely meh teams (till the tournament when Kemba discovered his inner Jordan)
Maigh Eo for Sam

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2022, 09:44:56 AM »
Because he hit the corner fade away jumper against an NIT UConn team that went 7-11 in BE play. He actually lost to the 2011 walker team that was tied with us at .500 in BE play, and lost to the 08-09 team in the D James goes down game.

JFB was 1-2 against UConn, 2 of which were extremely meh teams (till the tournament when Kemba discovered his inner Jordan)

I know this is incorrect.

Because I know for a stone cold fact that in the 2010-2011 Kemba season we won at Uconn in I believe OT. It was one of the key wins for the constantly up and down MU team that made the tourney. Also pretty sure that Uconn team was ranked top 20 at the time so hardly "meh".

So Jimmy was at the very least on 2 winning teams against Uconn(the game winner game as well) when he was one of our lead dogs.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 09:46:28 AM by PGsHeroes32 »
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2022, 09:51:28 AM »

Because I know for a stone cold fact that in the 2010-2011 Kemba season we won at Uconn in I believe OT. It was one of the key wins for the constantly up and down MU team that made the tourney. Also pretty sure that Uconn team was ranked top 20 at the time so hardly "meh".

So Jimmy was at the very least on 2 winning teams against Uconn(the game winner game as well) when he was one of our lead dogs.

You're right actually, mea culpa. So 2-2.

Come on a ranking is snapshot in time. That 2010 UConn team was ranked at the time and ended up 7-11 would you call them a good team because a bunch of voters were enthralled by the program name ? Same with MU in 2014, we were the no22 or 23 team in the country, we certainly were not worthy of that as it turned out. Teams that beat us shouldn't be claiming a big win in 20/20 hindsight
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 09:53:58 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2022, 09:58:36 AM »
You're right actually, mea culpa. So 2-2.

Come on a ranking is snapshot in time. That 2010 UConn team was ranked at the time and ended up 7-11 would you call them a good team because a bunch of voters were enthralled by the program name ? Same with MU in 2014, we were the no22 or 23 team in the country, we certainly were not worthy of that as it turned out. Teams that beat us shouldn't be claiming a big win in 20/20 hindsight

When we beat them in that game that dropped them to 8-7 in league plays and 20-7 overall. They did lose 2 of the last 3 to finish 21-9 and 9-9 in the loaded BE that got 11 teams in.

They were not ranked 14 in november. This was a late february game that we played them. Your 2014 example isnt remotely comparable.

Again, they were definitely better than "meh". They had non con wins over MSU and Kentucky.

You might be looking at the wrong season. This was 2010/2011. The game took place in 2011.

All their losses were in the loaded BE. Did they get really hot and win it all? Yes. But when we beat them they were a good team and it was a huge win(got us our damn bid).
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2022, 10:02:39 AM »

Yep! UCONN seemed to have that game in the bag until MU, hassling Kemba repeatedly rather than fouling, forced a TO and made a buzzer beater three to go into OT. Blaney was coaching as Calhoun was at a family funeral. I doubt that Calhoun would have sat there and simply watched MU execute its strategy.

Besides the win, the best part was that I was watching the game with my UCONN friend at his house. His jaw dropped and he stared at the TV in total disbelief. After backing out of his driveway and driving maybe 100 feet, I pulled over and laughed my ass off.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2022, 11:42:08 AM »
UCONN is good.  That first half version of them is close to unbeatable.  Best I've seen a team look against MU since UCLA. 

But the boys hung in a tough environment.  Game could have gotten away from them in the 1H.  Definitely don't want to see UCONN again though - tough matchup with out personnel.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2022, 12:08:16 PM »
Surprised with how fired up UConn was. Hurley blowing kisses to the crowd at the end. Guess little Marquette is backā€¦

I was surprised at this too.  The whole student section was wearing "Beat Marquette" T-shirts.  Was this UCONN's Super Bowl?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

connie

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2022, 12:48:46 PM »
Looking at the numbers I am surprised the final was as close as it was.  This team does not quit.

A road loss to a top-25 team that we have match up problems with AND that played very well offensively and defensively-----meh.  Let's get back on track and not let games slip away that we should win.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus