[Today at 09:38:03 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Hallmarq
[Today at 09:02:39 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Frustrating game but we're fine  (Read 13576 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Frustrating game but we're fine
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2022, 04:02:38 PM »
So let's say you buy yourself a nice rib-eye steak Uncle R or order one at a restaurant.  You go out to your grill, lose focus, and wind up cooking a black brick.  It tastes like death but since you're "playing with house money" are you telling me you still enjoy it?  What a bunch of nonsense.  If fans don't matter then why do people attend sporting events?  Are you telling me home-court means nothing in college hoops?

Here's a better analogy:

You buy yourself a nice ribeye steak and you put it on your grill. Your neighbor smells you cooking that delicious steak and says to his wife, "Wow, Muggsy lives a great life. He really is cooking with house money."

Is your steak now in danger of being ruined because your neighbor said something "ridiculously unhealthy on a myriad of fronts" that you didn't even hear and that didn't affect you or your steak one iota?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2022, 04:08:08 PM »
Here's a better analogy:

You buy yourself a nice ribeye steak and you put it on your grill. Your neighbor smells you cooking that delicious steak and says to his wife, "Wow, Muggsy lives a great life. He really is cooking with house money."

Is your steak now in danger of being ruined because your neighbor said something "ridiculously unhealthy on a myriad of fronts" that you didn't even hear and that didn't affect you or your steak one iota?

My steaks and other delicacies are almost never in danger of being ruined.  It would have to be a cataclysmic circumstance.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2022, 04:09:30 PM »
So let's say you buy yourself a nice rib-eye steak Uncle R or order one at a restaurant.  You go out to your grill, lose focus, and wind up cooking a black brick.  It tastes like death but since you're "playing with house money" are you telling me you still enjoy it?  What a bunch of nonsense.  If fans don't matter then why do people attend sporting events?  Are you telling me home-court means nothing in college hoops?

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2022, 04:09:59 PM »
I'm done here and apologize if I got carried away.  We simply have to get back on track.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2022, 04:24:36 PM »
My steaks and other delicacies are almost never in danger of being ruined.  It would have to be a cataclysmic circumstance.

Exactly. Even if somebody on a steak-lovers website says something about the way you cook a steak, it will not lead to ruination.

Anonymous commenters on websites don't affect basketball games, either.

Have a good one, Muggs!

Oh, and for the record, I think I know what "we're playing with house money" means, but I never said it and I'm not sure I agree with it. I expected us to go at least 5-1 in these last 6 games, so I'll be disappointed if our guys lose another. House money or not.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2022, 10:51:10 PM »
Exactly. Even if somebody on a steak-lovers website says something about the way you cook a steak, it will not lead to ruination.

Have a good one, Muggs!

Oh, and for the record, I think I know what "we're playing with house money" means, but I never said it and I'm not sure I agree with it. I expected us to go at least 5-1 in these last 6 games, so I'll be disappointed if our guys lose another. House money or not.

Is ruination really a word? I had to read it several times. I really learned something here.

I’d love a good ribeye at any time.

I’d rather lose 2-3 more games from now until March 17th/18th than lose on one of those two days.

Muggsy I know you think MU should win out, and maybe not lose again until the dance (or at worst lose once in the BET) but it may just not be that realistic my man. I know you don’t want to call that playing with house money, but you also have to be realistic at times.

Marquette exceeded its lot in the middle 6 of the 6-6-6 stretch by going 4-2 during that gauntlet. The team is set to underachieve in the final stretch of 6 because at the end of the day all Marquettes reach equilibrium.

Sure going 2-4 in the stretch of the final 6 would seem damning with the schedule, it would seem like the sky is falling indeed. It would still include a trip to the big dance, however.
Worst part of that would be getting a substantially lower seed than current.

1-0 on March 17/18th would make that all but forgotten. Going 5-1 in the last 6 and then 0-1 on March 17/18 would make winning these next 5 all but forgotten.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2022, 11:06:07 PM »
Is ruination really a word?

From dictionary.com:

the act or state of ruining or the state of being ruined.

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2022, 11:19:05 PM »
Is ruination really a word? I had to read it several times. I really learned something here.

Did you really have to ask this?  Does your computer not have Google? :)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #133 on: February 14, 2022, 12:06:14 PM »
Casa cash.
Dinero en efectivo de la casa
Goal is National Championship

tower912

• All American
« Reply #134 on: February 14, 2022, 12:07:37 PM »
Haus gelt.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #135 on: February 14, 2022, 12:20:24 PM »
If we're playing with house money I'd at least hope we're getting comped a few things along the way as well
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #136 on: February 14, 2022, 01:36:59 PM »
L’argent de la maison

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2022, 01:52:05 PM »
So can I pay for a steak with medieval house money?
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2022, 02:34:37 PM »
I believe it was known as hovel money back then.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2022, 03:45:34 PM »

Have a good one, Muggs!

Losses happen, but I think the "house money" idea is BS.  You're playing a game, win the thing.  By most people's definition, house money means you've done better than expected, so a loss isn't the end of the world.  But doing better than expected gives you new opportunities.  If you squander them, then what was the point of earning the house money in the first place?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2022, 07:01:40 PM »
Losses happen, but I think the "house money" idea is BS.  You're playing a game, win the thing.  By most people's definition, house money means you've done better than expected, so a loss isn't the end of the world.  But doing better than expected gives you new opportunities.  If you squander them, then what was the point of earning the house money in the first place?

Exactly. Raised expectations are a good thing because those come from winning. Time to win some more!

That being said, whether you or I or tower or TAMU or Ners says something different, it doesn't affect the team one iota. Obviously.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2022, 07:03:24 PM »

Apparently to buy a good steak?
Maigh Eo for Sam