[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Stevie's D  (Read 3488 times)

mileskishnish72

• All American
Stevie's D
« on: January 23, 2022, 05:45:00 PM »
Very impressed with his progression. He used to have lines of 2 min., 2 PF's. He just couldn't seem to stop hand-checking. Definite progress showing - had 15 or so min. today, played good D. Had 2 PF's but I think one was to stop a jam on a mismatch. Nice to see a frosh advance, he probably didn't have to work too much on D when he was a scoring machine in HS.

Goose

• All American
Re: Stevie's D
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 05:47:57 PM »
He can flat out play defense. He can play on my team any day of the week.

OffTheGlass

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 05:48:38 PM »
Very impressed with his progression. He used to have lines of 2 min., 2 PF's. He just couldn't seem to stop hand-checking. Definite progress showing - had 15 or so min. today, played good D. Had 2 PF's but I think one was to stop a jam on a mismatch. Nice to see a frosh advance, he probably didn't have to work too much on D when he was a scoring machine in HS.

Stevie is impressive on the D-end no doubt. What I really like about his pesky defensive play along with the energy he brings, is the fact he seems to embrace his role and not do too much offensively. That side of his game will develop in time, but what a great asset to bring off the bench knowing you will always get 110% effort.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 05:49:40 PM »
Thanks Wojo

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 05:52:57 PM »

Agreed...and really  who isn't looking better than they did at the start of the year?  This coaching staff and these players are special.  Shaka asked them to play for each other and they have bought in 100%. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 05:54:45 PM »
Agree on Stevie’s D. He needs to keep the D honest with his ability to shoot the three. Clanged one early and never looked again and X knew it.

VanderBlueFanClub

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 05:56:44 PM »
Loved on the radio when they called him Pesky Stevie.
2016-2017 G-League MVP - Vander Blue

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 06:02:56 PM »
Also, Marquette defense up to 23 on kenpom
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 06:03:46 PM »
Shaka gave credit to Wojo for recruiting Kam and Stevie. Said they couldn't be higher character guys.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 06:04:26 PM »
Also, Marquette defense up to 23 on kenpom

Xavier worst offensive game of the year too.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2022, 06:22:25 PM »
Stevie was so good today. His defense is growing so quickly. Watching him and Tyler, it feels like in a year or two we'll have a team of Morsells.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2022, 06:30:30 PM »
Stevie was so good today. His defense is growing so quickly. Watching him and Tyler, it feels like in a year or two we'll have a team of Morsells.

With Kam raining bombs on the opponent.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2022, 06:36:26 PM »
Kam is going to rain so many bombs that it will make many forget the GE bombs down the road. The kid will be a scoring machine in this system.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2022, 06:40:10 PM »
Kam is going to rain so many bombs that it will make many forget the GE bombs down the road. The kid will be a scoring machine in this system.

Same, with Joplin in that mix too
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2022, 06:42:47 PM »

Very different players. Kam can score on all levels and has some ballhandling skills, and I have high hopes for him being a plus defender, too. I have zero doubt that Kam will be a much better player than Greg has been.

Greg is a 3-point shooter. He's a role player, and I'm glad we have a guy who makes 50%-plus of his 3s filling that role. Good leader, as well. Very happy Shaka kept him; we'd have 2-3 more losses if Greg had left.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2022, 06:45:07 PM »

I am fxxkin around. That said, Kam is going to be a great three point guy, along with all facets of the game. When he pulls the trigger from long range I am expecting net. He is fun to watch.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2022, 06:48:48 PM »
Very different players. Kam can score on all levels and has some ballhandling skills, and I have high hopes for him being a plus defender, too. I have zero doubt that Kam will be a much better player than Greg has been.

Greg is a 3-point shooter. He's a role player, and I'm glad we have a guy who makes 50%-plus of his 3s filling that role. Good leader, as well. Very happy Shaka kept him; we'd have 2-3 more losses if Greg had left.

He is?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2022, 06:50:29 PM »

I am fxxkin around.
Goose

Me too.

That said, Kam is going to be a great three point guy, along with all facets of the game. When he pulls the trigger from long range I am expecting net. He is fun to watch.

Kam is a blast to watch, and I think he and Joplin have the best-looking shots on the team. I always think they're going in on the release.

As Kam gains experience, he'll pick his spots a little better. I like that Shaka has given him the green light but also has been willing to gently remind Kam that every single shot isn't necessarily a great one.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2022, 06:52:42 PM »
Goose

Me too.

Kam is a blast to watch, and I think he and Joplin have the best-looking shots on the team. I always think they're going in on the release.

As Kam gains experience, he'll pick his spots a little better. I like that Shaka has given him the green light but also has been willing to gently remind Kam that every single shot isn't necessarily a great one.

Jops release is awesome.

When he gets more consistent PT in the years to come I think he will have big time %
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2022, 06:55:09 PM »
I hope Ellis is in this equation somewhere too!!

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2022, 06:56:54 PM »

I am fxxkin around. That said, Kam is going to be a great three point guy, along with all facets of the game. When he pulls the trigger from long range I am expecting net. He is fun to watch.

His two finishes at the hoop today were eye openers.

I agree every time he takes a 3 I think it’s going in, he’s got such a good looking stroke. I’m actually surprised he misses so much tbh, I’d expect better than 38% from 3. Can’t wait to start to see him finishing at the hoop or with the mid-range more effectively.

If he manages to be as good of a 3P shooter percentage wise as Greg in his upper classman years then look out.
Greg went from 37% to 41% to 45% to 52% this season!
Obviously it would be extremely hard for Kam to do that because he will likely shoot a higher volume, but I think he’s capable of being a 45% and better 3P shooter and that will be lethal with his other skills.

Oh and Stevie- I’ve been pulling for that kid all year. Amazing defense as usual, one of the best freshman G defenders I can remember at Marquette. Guys like Vander, Dominic, Jerel stand out.

He has a calmness and pretty good vision on the offensive end too, so I’m really pulling for him to find a semblance of that HS scoring prowess. I think if it comes at this level it’ll be of the driving and midrange variety.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2022, 06:58:49 PM »
The name Stevie D makes me think of Louis D’s and their drunk window. Actually I think Ziggomania had the drunk window first. Right next to the Lanche. Guaranteed to fail.
We Are Marquette

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2022, 06:59:32 PM »

Agreed...Kam is going to have a very poor man's Steph Curry type game.  He can break ankles and hit off the dribble while finding crafty ways to finish without having super athletic ability or strength. 

Joplin should be watching Lewis and taking notes.  In post game Shaka mentioned how hard Lewis works on his shot...sometimes beating Shaka to the Al and letting Shaka hear about it.  If Jop puts in that amount of work he'll be a stud as well.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2022, 07:00:53 PM »
His two finishes at the hoop today were eye openers.

I agree every time he takes a 3 I think it’s going in, he’s got such a good looking stroke. I’m actually surprised he misses so much tbh, I’d expect better than 38% from 3. Can’t wait to start to see him finishing at the hoop or with the mid-range more effectively.

If he manages to be as good of a 3P shooter percentage wise as Greg in his upper classman years then look out.
Greg went from 37% to 41% to 45% to 52% this season!
Obviously it would be extremely hard for Kam to do that because he will likely shoot a higher volume, but I think he’s capable of being a 45% and better 3P shooter and that will be lethal with his other skills.

Agree with all of this. Kam's shot selection definitely affects his percentage. He takes some lower-percentage 3's. Makes some, too! But that helps explain why he's not 40%.

As he matures, he'll learn the difference between a great opportunity, an OK opportunity and a too-tough opportunity.

And yes, those drives were big-time. The real scoring guards have those in their game. I keep saying it -- I think he's gonna be pretty special.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2022, 07:40:47 PM »
Avenue, good to hear from you. Your posting is down, down from previously.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2022, 07:42:39 PM »
The interesting thing about Kam is that his shot form was ugly in high school. I don't know who broke down his shot and rebuilt it but we owe them a huge debt
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

panda

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2022, 07:45:25 PM »
Jops release is awesome.

When he gets more consistent PT in the years to come I think he will have big time %

Semi hot take - He has the highest ceiling of all the freshmen.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2022, 07:47:38 PM »
The interesting thing about Kam is that his shot form was ugly in high school. I don't know who broke down his shot and rebuilt it but we owe them a huge debt

I didn't know that, so thanks for the info.

And yep, you're obviously right. Far too many college players arrive with shots that look like Vander's or JJJ's, and it's up to the college coaches to try to fix them.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2022, 07:48:21 PM »
Avenue, good to hear from you. Your posting is down, down from previously.

Adulting is hard. Been lurking for a bit.

Back now. #BeTheDifference
We Are Marquette

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2022, 07:58:29 PM »
Yeah, auditing is hard. It's even harder when you're taking them for credit.

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2022, 08:00:53 PM »
Stevie has learned you got to play solid D to play as a freshman.  That is what is keeping Joplin off the floor
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2022, 08:16:33 PM »
Lol at the last video in Kam’s post that MUBB’s Instagram shared.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZF6WA8pXAw/?utm_medium=copy_link

Kid got Kunkle all sorts of fired up at the halftime buzzer, and then Kunkle came out and scored 2 points in the second half.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2022, 08:17:27 PM »
Stevie had the second most rebounds today with 5.    The kid had a game in everything but shooting.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2022, 08:18:07 PM »
Lol at the last video in Kam’s post that MUBB’s Instagram shared.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZF6WA8pXAw/?utm_medium=copy_link

Kid got Kunkle all sorts of fired up at the halftime buzzer, and then Kunkle came out and scored 2 points in the second half.

That’s a classic.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2022, 08:28:47 PM »
Semi hot take - He has the highest ceiling of all the freshmen.

Something about him reminds me of Wesley Matthews

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2022, 09:05:55 PM »
Shaka quote after game on Kam & Stevie:

"They are finding out who they are…if you watch tape of the way they played last yr.…it bears no resemblance to what they are doing now …Kam was playing the 4 or 5…Stevie scoring high 20s or 30s per game…Coach Wojo and staff deserve a ton of credit finding those guys…you cannot find 2 better character guys that those two...

ski44

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2022, 09:48:36 PM »
The name Stevie D makes me think of Louis D’s and their drunk window. Actually I think Ziggomania had the drunk window first. Right next to the Lanche. Guaranteed to fail.

Can I get a basket of cheese fries at 1AM from Stevie D’s?