[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Hyperbole or No?  (Read 9505 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Hyperbole or No?
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2022, 04:28:08 PM »
I was a sports-loving kid from Connecticut. Had Marquette played basketball in the mid-1970s like, say, Northern Illinois did, I'd have never heard of Marquette. I wouldn't have even thought to apply.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2022, 05:26:05 PM »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2022, 06:36:56 PM »
I was a sports-loving kid from Connecticut. Had Marquette played basketball in the mid-1970s like, say, Northern Illinois did, I'd have never heard of Marquette. I wouldn't have even thought to apply.

Ditto, but change to 1980's.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2022, 07:01:28 PM »
If I remember correctly, the 02-03 Freshman class was huge. They attributed that to 9/11 and more students wanting to stay closer to the Midwest then going to the East Coast. Not saying the Final 4 had nothing to do with record applications, there were other world factors too.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2022, 08:11:11 AM »
Freshman during the 1973-74 school year/basketball season -- just in time for the final four & 1st national championship game. Coming from western New York state, I would not have considered or probably even heard of Marquette if not for Al McGuire & basketball. I picked the school because it had the academic program I wanted. But being able to see an exciting top-10, national title contending basketball team led by one of the most famous coaches in the country absolutely helped put Marquette over the few other similar universities I considered.

Awesome. I enrolled in 2003 and I thought being a freshman for that Final Four run was as good as it gets, but your time was true championship dominance.

Im from the sw suburbs of Chicago and chose Marquette because of the pre dental scholars program. However, when I was deciding between Marquette and University of Illinois I had some close friends that went to Richards HS rave to me about a kid named Dwayne Wade being at MU and how he was the real deal!

My immediate response was “he can’t be as good as Alando Tucker!” Alando went to HS with me at Lockport and we were in some classes together- really great dude and an even better basketball player. As many know he went to Wisconsin and was B10 PoY, had a cup of tea in the NBA and more recently was in the news for making some brutal decisions over in Madison.

Alando was a classic big guard/sf that played the 4/5 at wisconsin and got really good at it, classic B10 beef ball, but he lost a lot of his guard skills because of it. What he wasn’t though was Dwayne Wade.

When I found out that DWade was from Robbins and frequented my parents restaurant in nearby Posen I was thrilled. They were all such nice people, and he had Zaire at the time so it was very easy to pull for his success.

One March later I was a Dwyane Wade and Marquette Basketball fan for life.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 03:25:58 PM by DoctorV »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2022, 08:29:11 AM »

Reasons for decline in enrollment at Marquette, in my rank order of impact.  (Only my opinion)

1.  Demographics.  There are much less people enrolled in college now than there was pre-pandemic.  It is affecting enrollment everywhere.
2.  An intentional decision by MU to focus on the higher revenue majors.
3.  Cost.  This isn't as much of a factor as people think it is.
4.  Basketball.

Basketball is great when students are making their initial decisions on where to look because it is a wonderful marketing tool.  And it is no doubt helpful.  But after that, I don't think it is a great driver of where students ultimately choose to go to school.

Fluff,

I agree with all these.  With regard to number four,  I will be at the game tomorrow with at least three high school seniors that have been accepted at MU.  They would all be legacy so much of the marketing of Marquette was already done by the families but each of these girls have gotten into multiple good schools.  All are out of state.  A good time tomorrow win or lose can help tip the scales for someone who is 18 years old.  It’s also an opportunity to show off downtown Milwaukee as well with a palpable pregame energy for a good MU team.

Obviously it’s only one of many reasons you’d pick a school but it’s a great marketing tool. Kids want to see some school spirit.  They will get that in abundance tomorrow.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2022, 09:02:42 AM »
Awesome. I enrolled in 2003 and I thought being a freshman for that Final Four run was as good as it gets, but your time was true championship dominance.

Im from the sw suburbs of Chicago and chose Marquette because of the pre dental scholars program. However, when I was deciding between Marquette and University of Illinois I had some close friends that went to Richards HS rave to me about a kid named Dwayne Wade being at MU and how he was the real deal!

My immediate response was “he can’t be as good as Alando Tucker!” Alando went to HS with me at Lockport and we were in some classes together- really great dude and an even better basketball player. As many know he went to Wisconsin and was B10 PoY, had a cup of tea in the NBA and more recently was in the news for making some brutal decisions over in Madison.

Alando was a classic big guard/sf that played the 4/5 at wisconsin and got really good at it, classic B10 beef ball, but he lost a lot of his guard skills because of it. What he wasn’t though was Dwayne Wade.

When I found out that DWade was from Robbins and frequented my parents restaurant in nearby Posen I was thrilled. They were all such nice people, and he had Zaire at the time so it was very easy to pull for his success.

One March later I was a Dwayne Wade and Marquette Basketball fan for life.

Great story, Dr. V!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2022, 09:14:57 AM »
One March later I was a Dwayne Wade and Marquette Basketball fan for life.

Ummm….
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2022, 09:52:30 AM »
If I remember correctly, the 02-03 Freshman class was huge. They attributed that to 9/11 and more students wanting to stay closer to the Midwest then going to the East Coast. Not saying the Final 4 had nothing to do with record applications, there were other world factors too.

Wouldn't that also mean that kids from outside the Midwest would also stay at home, making it essentially a wash?

Have some patience, FFS.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2022, 09:57:15 AM »

Reasons for decline in enrollment at Marquette, in my rank order of impact.  (Only my opinion)

1.  Demographics.  There are much less people enrolled in college now than there was pre-pandemic.  It is affecting enrollment everywhere.
2.  An intentional decision by MU to focus on the higher revenue majors.
3.  Cost.  This isn't as much of a factor as people think it is.
4.  Basketball.

Basketball is great when students are making their initial decisions on where to look because it is a wonderful marketing tool.  And it is no doubt helpful.  But after that, I don't think it is a great driver of where students ultimately choose to go to school.
What are Marquette's higher revenue majors currently?

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2022, 10:02:54 AM »
I grew up in Kenosha as well. It was a great thing for one big reason. There were always more girls than guys in the 18 year old bars (brat Stop, Earl's, Chaparral, etc.). For some reason, more girls came up from illinois that guys.
Occasionally head towards the I.  Usual hangout was Dannys across from AMC.
Not sure what Dannys has become since the 40+ years since being there.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 11:02:49 AM by NCMUFan »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2022, 10:20:37 AM »
What are Marquette's higher revenue majors currently?

I have that question as well.  I would think that Lib Arts would be the highest revenue majors given there are no expensive labs, supply of professors far outstripping the demand, etc, yet I see no focused effort to recruit those students.
Have some patience, FFS.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2022, 10:40:11 AM »
I have that question as well.  I would think that Lib Arts would be the highest revenue majors given there are no expensive labs, supply of professors far outstripping the demand, etc, yet I see no focused effort to recruit those students.

I think that would make them the highest margin majors.

With the exception of a few programs, revenue for each major is about the same.

Back to Coach Shaka. The big thing about Coach Shaka is if he is successful, adapts to the game as it evolves and stays with us for the next 20 to 30 years, there is a decent chance we could be a blue blood again. That, in turn, will affect both prestige and contributions. And, eventually make a lot of us old timers begin to move-on from Al McGuire.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2022, 12:01:27 PM »
Occasionally head towards the I.  Usual hangout was Dannys across from AMC.
Not sure what Dannys has become since the 40+ years since being there.

There were a couple years back in the late 70s where I hung out there a lot. Had a 2nd shift job at the time and we'd head over there after work.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2022, 01:23:03 PM »
I think that would make them the highest margin majors.

With the exception of a few programs, revenue for each major is about the same.

I was assuming margin was what Fluffy meant.  Most people know that gross revenue per undergrad student is about the same across all majors.

Perhaps the university was thinking long term and guessing that business, engineering, and biological science (what we used to call pre-med) majors will end up being wealthier and therefore, more generous donors?
Have some patience, FFS.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2022, 01:30:23 PM »
I was assuming margin was what Fluffy meant.  Most people know that gross revenue per undergrad student is about the same across all majors.

Perhaps the university was thinking long term and guessing that business, engineering, and biological science (what we used to call pre-med) majors will end up being wealthier and therefore, more generous donors?

My guess, and this is only a guess, that engineering, business and perhaps nursing are higher margin majors from a net tuition perspective.  Sure it may cost less to educate a liberal arts major, but my guess is that price point to get those majors here is lower than they would be for majors where Marquette has a clear record of placing graduates in high paying positions.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2022, 01:54:01 PM »

My guess, and this is only a guess, that engineering, business and perhaps nursing are higher margin majors from a net tuition perspective.  Sure it may cost less to educate a liberal arts major, but my guess is that price point to get those majors here is lower than they would be for majors where Marquette has a clear record of placing graduates in high paying positions.

I still don't understand why that would cause a decrease in enrollment per your original post.

BTW, thanks to the hard work of the past two deans, the College of Nursing has doubled enrollment in the last decade, and it's still the toughest undergrad program to get accepted into.
Have some patience, FFS.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2022, 01:59:09 PM »

They were considered Liberal Arts back in my day; though I believe MU distinguished the science major with a BS and the non-science major with a BA.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2022, 02:04:39 PM »
They were considered Liberal Arts back in my day; though I believe MU distinguished the science major with a BS and the non-science major with a BA.

This major is housed in the College of Health Sciences now.  Its majors typically go to Medical or Physician Assistant school.

It's typically the most popular major at MU.
Have some patience, FFS.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2022, 02:07:35 PM »
I still don't understand why that would cause a decrease in enrollment per your original post.

BTW, thanks to the hard work of the past two deans, the College of Nursing has doubled enrollment in the last decade, and it's still the toughest undergrad program to get accepted into.

My guess is that Marquette feels it will be better off, considering long-term demographics, if they have less enrollment but higher net revenue per student.  So they aren't going to chase enrollment by increasing financial aid offers.  And that focusing on STEM plus business is the best way to get to that per student revenue goal.

If that is indeed their thinking, they would hardly be alone in that regard.  Might not be a bad strategy.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2022, 02:19:04 PM »

Perhaps, but we Journalism majors have done our part!

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2022, 03:26:34 PM »
Ummm….

Wow did it twice. Brain meltdown on full effect.

Need. Nap. Bad.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2022, 03:45:55 PM »

My guess is that Marquette feels it will be better off, considering long-term demographics, if they have less enrollment but higher net revenue per student.  So they aren't going to chase enrollment by increasing financial aid offers.  And that focusing on STEM plus business is the best way to get to that per student revenue goal.

If that is indeed their thinking, they would hardly be alone in that regard.  Might not be a bad strategy.

Actually, the last time I heard the director of admissions speak, the goal was to increase enrollment over the next decade.  There was a PowerPoint graph and everything.

That was probably 3 years ago, but I promise you that the current decrease was not intended or welcomed.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2022, 09:18:00 AM »

Isn't the PT program the hardest to get into? It's something like top 5 in the country with only 70 spots a certain amount reserved for transfer students.
Maigh Eo for Sam

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2022, 09:38:41 AM »

For the record my Biz Ad degree is a BS, not a BA.  Not sure if that's what you were referring to though.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.