Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: St John's  (Read 8205 times)

Afroman

• All American
St John's
« on: January 20, 2022, 12:59:34 PM »
I haven't seen this elsewhere. If I missed it, my apologies.

Is the St. John's game from Dec. 29 going to be made up?

Will Providence have to make up three games?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: St John's
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 01:01:38 PM »
There is only one possible date that could work for a make up, I believe per people smarter than me they said its February 10th.

No news yet.

Personally hoping we don't. And honestly doubt Shaka is rushing to make it happen. It may be more likely to get made up if the Johnnies have other games around that time cancelled due to Rona with their opponents
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 01:18:04 PM »
Tower posted this article yesterday on the topic.  Worth reading.

https://www.vuhoops.com/2022/1/18/22888909/villanova-basketball-big-east-regular-season-champions
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 02:21:24 PM »
Thank you. I must have missed that.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 02:39:59 PM »
Easy to miss things when one is hanging out in Palmdale.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 02:42:40 PM »
I have zero interest in playing St. John’s at Carnesecca.

That game has little benefit to MU.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 02:47:46 PM »

Hold on, are we talking about St. John's (NY)?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

VanderBlueFanClub

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 02:49:32 PM »

Yeah, I would like to keep our losses to a minimum.
2016-2017 G-League MVP - Vander Blue

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 02:52:56 PM »
Marquette shouldn’t be afraid to play at St. John’s
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 03:06:28 PM »
Marquette shouldn’t be afraid to play at St. John’s

Al wouldn't have been afraid.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 03:07:11 PM »
Exactly, picking and choosing only games you think you will win doesn't sound like you have much confidence in your team.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 03:08:56 PM »
Exactly, picking and choosing only games you think you will win doesn't sound like you have much confidence in your team.

Its not a lack of confidence.

It's the simple fact that playing the game is a higher risk than it is a reward. We don't need to play 20 conference games this year to reach any goal

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 03:11:15 PM »
I personally like to watch Marquette play as much as possible.
So another game I could watch would be a thumbs up for me.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2022, 04:11:26 PM »
Al wouldn't have been afraid.
Right, from what I've been told he would have punched St. Johns in the face and told it to go pro.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2022, 04:14:37 PM »
A bare knuckle punch.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 09:21:18 PM »
Having just won at Villanova’s impenetrable on-campus court, I think this might be the year that I’m all for playing St. John’s on Carneseca’s court.

Bring it on!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2022, 09:33:44 PM »
Right, from what I've been told he would have punched St. Johns in the face and told it to go pro.

Exactly. And then he would have hugged Hank around the neck while he wept on the bench.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2022, 07:37:05 AM »
Its not a lack of confidence.

It's the simple fact that playing the game is a higher risk than it is a reward. We don't need to play 20 conference games this year to reach any goal

This is where I am at, but the opposing arguments from some here are valid. Are we scared to risk a loss to St. Johns? As I stated in other threads, I would like to see us schedule an OOC game in lieu of St. Johns. VCU in Milwaukee is my pick.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2022, 07:50:33 AM »
Having just won at Villanova’s impenetrable on-campus court, I think this might be the year that I’m all for playing St. John’s on Carneseca’s court.

Bring it on!

Honestly that stat was so dumb. Uhhh ya you guys are really good when you only play perceived weak opponents who will not fill out the other arena...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2022, 08:06:58 AM »
How are you going to compete in NCAA tournament, if you are afraid of playing at St. John's? The more tough games you play the better off you are. The only risk would be that losing the game would cost you a bid and right now it would take more than a loss at St. John's to cost us an NCAA tourney bid.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2022, 08:22:26 AM »
I personally like to watch Marquette play as much as possible.
So another game I could watch would be a thumbs up for me.

'
This, right here!   

My number 1 reason for following the team and being a fan is because I enjoy watching the games.  I had always assumed that was the same for most fans... but then again that does explain a lot of reactions people have at times.   ::)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2022, 09:14:36 AM »
If we play at St. John's, great. I'll be happy to watch us win.

If we play a different team, great. I'll be happy to watch us win.

If we don't play a 31st game, I understand, and it doesn't really affect me.

It's all good!

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2022, 09:46:36 AM »

I’m all for more games and like the attitude of “not afraid to play anyone”, but this game has zero benefit to Marquette. It can only hurt our chances for a bid. Pretty much equivalent to a buy game level benefit.

St Johns sucks but they will play us very tough on their home floor. Pass…

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2022, 09:53:34 AM »
I’m all for more games and like the attitude of “not afraid to play anyone”, but this game has zero benefit to Marquette. It can only hurt our chances for a bid. Pretty much equivalent to a buy game level benefit.

Exactly. It’s not about being “afraid”, it’s about maximizing our position.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2022, 10:18:21 AM »

Yeah I’m sure not gonna have a meltdown if we do make the game up.

But not wanting the game isn’t about fear. It’s simply seeing the lack of benefit towards the long term goal. Which is make the tourney with the best seed possible.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2022, 10:33:25 AM »
While I'd like to see the game made up because I enjoy watching Marquette basketball, it is sort of an all risk, no gain situation.  That said, me thinks its not up to Marquette whether this game gets played or not.

At the end of the day, Marquette just needs to find a way to 10 BE wins and they're not getting left out on selection sunday.  Whether that is 10-9 without the SJU game, or 10-10 with it.  Doesn't really matter.  That @Nova win is gold. crap, 9-10 might even get it done at this point.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2022, 11:20:35 AM »
I get what people are saying about St. John's being more risk than reward, they aren't wrong. But at this point, I expect to be playing for seeding, not whether or not we make the dance. Another Q2 win could come in handy.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2022, 11:41:45 AM »
I get what people are saying about St. John's being more risk than reward, they aren't wrong. But at this point, I expect to be playing for seeding, not whether or not we make the dance. Another Q2 win could come in handy.

My only thing is MU has been relatively untouched by COVID. Maybe a bit lucky so far. Jamming in more travel and less days between games on short notice and with a short roster is not worth the risk.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2022, 12:30:24 PM »
In theory the Johnnies should be pushing to re-schedule this game. An opportunity for a quality win for them.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2022, 12:58:49 PM »
While I'd like to see the game made up because I enjoy watching Marquette basketball, it is sort of an all risk, no gain situation.  That said, me thinks its not up to Marquette whether this game gets played or not.

At the end of the day, Marquette just needs to find a way to 10 BE wins and they're not getting left out on selection sunday.  Whether that is 10-9 without the SJU game, or 10-10 with it.  Doesn't really matter.  That @Nova win is gold. crap, 9-10 might even get it done at this point.

In general, since the restructuring of the Big East, 10-10 or 10-9 hasn't been sufficient on its own, unless it's coupled with a first-round BET win.

11-9 is almost always good enough with or without a BET win, and it's been rare for a sub .500 team to make it as an at-large team.

I think the bottom line is that if we believe our body of work is iffy enough that we think we need a win at St. Johns to make the tournament, we're almost certainly going to be knocked out of the NCAAs with a loss. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 01:00:28 PM »
My only thing is MU has been relatively untouched by COVID. Maybe a bit lucky so far. Jamming in more travel and less days between games on short notice and with a short roster is not worth the risk.

MU could obviously run into COVID issues, but the team being fully vaccinated and only testing when symptomatic makes it less likely.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 01:19:23 PM »
In theory the Johnnies should be pushing to re-schedule this game. An opportunity for a quality win for them.

It would help them possible get a home game in the NIT
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2022, 02:38:15 PM »
In general, since the restructuring of the Big East, 10-10 or 10-9 hasn't been sufficient on its own, unless it's coupled with a first-round BET win.

11-9 is almost always good enough with or without a BET win, and it's been rare for a sub .500 team to make it as an at-large team.

I think the bottom line is that if we believe our body of work is iffy enough that we think we need a win at St. Johns to make the tournament, we're almost certainly going to be knocked out of the NCAAs with a loss.

I mean, 11-9, 10-10 and 10-9 have only been possible for one year. Prior to last year we were doing an 18 game conference schedule. Here are the actual results since realignment:

10-8: 1 out, 13 in (93%)
10-9: 2 out, 0 in (0%)
10-10: Hasn't happened yet
9-9: 4 in, 6 out (40%)
9-10: 1 out, 0 in (0%)
8-10: 2 out, 2 in (50%)

Reality is, conference games aren't any more valuable on a tournament resume than non-conference games. You can get in with an 8-10 conference record if you had a great non-conference record or if the Big East as a whole had a great non-conference record. You could be left out at .500 if the Big East is down. 3 of the 6 teams that didn't make it with .500 records happened in 2018-2019 where the Big East as whole was down. But generally if you have at least 10 wins in the Big East, that's 10 wins against quality competition and that's a big boost to any resume.
TAMU

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2022, 03:49:08 PM »
Found this proposal novel at least. Still don't think we should play the game so the team can get a little rest (and the lack of a benefit to us, unless we need it to win the conference or something)

From a St John's fan:

We end the regular season at Marquette on the 5th.

Big East Tournament starts the 9th.

This should be an easy reschedule. Let us host Marquette in Queens on the 7th.

We all flying back to New York anyway.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2022, 03:52:35 PM »
There is no way Shaka is going to want to play SJU two days before the conference tournament.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2022, 03:57:43 PM »
There is no way Shaka is going to want to play SJU two days before the conference tournament.
I agree. Just thought it was an amusing thought and I am bored.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2022, 03:59:20 PM »

Only reason to do that is if a BE title is within grasp in which case we aren't playing the first day anyways.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2022, 04:03:08 PM »

Its not going to be up to Shaka.

But the BE wouldn't do that.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2022, 04:10:51 PM »
Its not going to be up to Shaka.

But the BE wouldn't do that.

I hope you are correct. It would be really unfair to be saddled with having to play a game that close to the BET when the other teams rest and practice. I'm still not sure what was behind the SH/SJ game besides Aiken being out (just not enough to account for what happened). How much was SH playing poorly and how much was SJ playing well? SJ has the potential to explode in every so many games and I really hope that the possibility of a rematch in NYC is off the table soon.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2022, 06:58:46 AM »
I don't see what I was looking for (someone had done a nice write-up of reschedule options across the BEast), so putting this here...

Is this the week that was flagged as the only likely time for the MU-St. John's game to be rescheduled (assuming/knowing that it can't/won't be done just days before the BEast tourney)?

So, can we presume confidently that it won't be played?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2022, 07:06:56 AM »
IIRC, Brew said that February 10th was the only reasonable option for a St. John's reschedule. With no announcement yet, seems like it will just be cancelled.
TAMU

mug644

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2022, 08:02:10 AM »
IIRC, Brew said that February 10th was the only reasonable option for a St. John's reschedule. With no announcement yet, seems like it will just be cancelled.

Thanks. Sure does seem like is should've been announced by now, if it is going to happen.

MU24

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2022, 09:01:37 AM »
The Big East forcing a rematch would be kind of crapty. Providence got a huge benefit to scheduling when they didnt play 3 games. They have one of the easiest schedules in the Big East. Making MU play a postponed game would be two-faced.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2022, 01:13:55 PM »
Thanks. Sure does seem like is should've been announced by now, if it is going to happen.

Maybe we could just play a doubleheader on Sr Day at the Fiserv.  That would be fun!

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2022, 01:21:57 PM »
Maybe we could just play a doubleheader on Sr Day at the Fiserv.  That would be fun!
The MVC did this last year where they'd play the same team twice on back-to-back days.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2022, 01:26:59 PM »

February 10th is the only date that meets league requirements, but it would put St. John's on back-to-back weeks with 3 games, so the only way that happens is if one of the Johnnies next three games are cancelled (at GT on Thursday, at Butler on Saturday, vs Nova on Tuesday). Even then, it would probably need a little notice to happen, so I'd guess it would have to be one of the first two that get cancelled.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2022, 01:39:31 PM »
MU is one of only two teams that will have played 12 games thru tonight. And Georgetown will have played just 8. It's clear that there will be an unbalanced schedule, and so why force teams to continue to expand the number of games they play (in the case of MU) or compress their schedule with 5 or 6 games within two weeks (which could be the case for St. John's)? It would inevitably inequitable, unequivocally unequal. Why not just let the chips fall where they may, with hopefully all remaining scheduled games get played.

I just don't see grounds for the league insist the game be played, and I doubt that both MU and St. John's will push for it to happen.

(Brew, I don't mean to imply that you are advocating for the game to happen.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 01:58:51 PM by mug644 »

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2022, 02:30:33 PM »
Can anyone confirm the time for the SJU game 5-Mar at FF?   I see TBD all over, but the FF site has 7pm. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2022, 03:30:43 PM »
No time confirmed yet.
Choices include:
11 or 130 or 4 on Fox OR
6 or 8 on FS1.
7 pm Milwaukee time is not an option.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2022, 04:32:26 PM »
The BE should just have every team play a makeup game in Queens on the 7th.

Full extra day of games. Might get some fans to fly out early.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2022, 07:23:08 PM »
No time confirmed yet.
Choices include:
11 or 130 or 4 on Fox OR
6 or 8 on FS1.
7 pm Milwaukee time is not an option.

Nice that they have it narrowed down!

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2022, 08:54:04 PM »
Nice that they have it narrowed down!
That's been out since September. It's wild card scheduling for the Big East on the final day of the regular season.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

feedback