[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best passers in MU history  (Read 10459 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Best passers in MU history
« on: January 18, 2022, 10:53:14 AM »
Thinking about Kolek in context of past MU PGs, where would you rate him? I'll start the list based on those I'm familiar with or have actually seen play

1.) Tony Miller - top 10 assist man in NCAA history, holds many if not all MU assist records. I never saw him play but those that have I'm sure can attest (or disagree!)

2.) Travis Diener - knew exactly where his teammates were at all times, put the ball exactly where it needed to be exactly when it needed to be there. Had an absolutely absurd 53% assist rate his senior year, leading the nation.

3.) Tyler Kolek - his passing hitting rollers for easy dunks, open guys in rhythm for 3s, and dribble drive wrap-around passes in the paint have completely unlocked the offense and has helped create a program sea change from the prior star-focused ball-dominant regime

4.) Dominic James - his passing goes underappreciated (as does his entire career frankly) because of how he was used earlier in his career (higher volume shooter PG). But he was never a selfish player, and led an offense for a 4-year tournament team. Had an assist rate over 30% for his MU career.

5.) Junior Cadougan - another underappreciated player, he was a steady hand and had a great feel for pace (when to push in transition, when to probe in the half court, when to get out of the way for stars).

I only started following the program as a freshman in '02 so please chime in with any players you'd slot in with the above.

TedBaxter

• All American
Re: Best passers in MU history
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 10:56:40 AM »
Sam Worthen would be slotted #1 if you include players prior to you watching them.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 10:59:29 AM »
Sam Worthen would be slotted #1 if you include players prior to you watching them.
+1000

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 11:03:22 AM »

Awesome will read up on him - anyone know if there are clips of him floating around?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 11:10:44 AM »
Sam Worthen was definitely the fanciest passer in school history.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 11:25:40 AM »
Any list like this has to include Sam Worthen, Lloyd Walton, and Dean Meminger.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 11:30:04 AM »
Lloyd Walton is high on the all-time list.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 11:52:43 AM »
1. Tony Miller
2. Worthen
3. Diener
4. Dominic James
5. Hutch
6. Walton

I'd stop it there.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 11:58:43 AM »
1. Tony Miller
2. Worthen
3. Diener
4. Dominic James
5. Hutch
6. Walton

I'd stop it there.

No there's never been a player who's as good at anything Al's guys did before or after them outside of Wade.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 12:03:14 PM »
Any list like this has to include Sam Worthen, Lloyd Walton, and Dean Meminger.

Agree 100%. But I'll put Sam Worthen on top

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 12:04:05 PM »
I understand Mike Deane made a lot of passes
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 12:24:43 PM »
Need to include Mandy "magic" Johnson on this list.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 12:32:41 PM »
Need to include Mandy "magic" Johnson on this list.

And John "Magic" Dawson.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 12:35:00 PM »
Agree 100%. But I'll put Sam Worthen on top

At a Globe Trotters game 7-8years ago at the Joyce ACC on NDs campus, Sam Worthen was the head coach of the Generals.  Part of his job that night was to fire up the crowd.  He gets on the microphone as says “the Generals are going to kick the Globe Trotters ass, the same way Marquette is going to kick Notre Dame’s ass tomorrow”. We happened to be playing ND the next day in Milwaukee.  My kids and I yelled out “Hell yeah!” and stood up and clapped (I brain washed them very early on MU fandom).  The rest of the arena was dead silent.  I think they were shocked that anyone would say that on their home court.  It was awkward and funny all at the same time.  Had to explain to my kids, who were young at the time, who Sam was. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2022, 12:40:54 PM »
At a Globe Trotters game 7-8years ago at the Joyce ACC on NDs campus, Sam Worthen was the head coach of the Generals.  Part of his job that night was to fire up the crowd.  He gets on the microphone as says “the Generals are going to kick the Globe Trotters ass, the same way Marquette is going to kick Notre Dame’s ass tomorrow”. We happened to be playing ND the next day in Milwaukee.  My kids and I yelled out “Hell yeah!” and stood up and clapped (I brain washed them very early on MU fandom).  The rest of the arena was dead silent.  I think they were shocked that anyone would say that on their home court.  It was awkward and funny all at the same time.  Had to explain to my kids, who were young at the time, who Sam was.

Given that the Globetrotters are family fare, I'm kind of shocked that Sam would say "ass" twice over the P.A. system.

But I do like the story.

And yes, Sam was the best passer I've seen in a Marquette uniform.

One name Scoopers are forgetting ... Dwyane Wade. Yes, his role was to be a finisher, not a passer. But he was an outstanding passer, often drew double-teams and passed well out of them, and averaged 4+ assists his last year even though he was the scoring star. A very good passer during his NBA career, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2022, 12:53:12 PM »

I see you TSmith. Well played
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2022, 12:56:36 PM »
Thinking about Kolek in context of past MU PGs, where would you rate him? I'll start the list based on those I'm familiar with or have actually seen play

1.) Tony Miller - top 10 assist man in NCAA history, holds many if not all MU assist records. I never saw him play but those that have I'm sure can attest (or disagree!)

2.) Travis Diener - knew exactly where his teammates were at all times, put the ball exactly where it needed to be exactly when it needed to be there. Had an absolutely absurd 53% assist rate his senior year, leading the nation.

3.) Tyler Kolek - his passing hitting rollers for easy dunks, open guys in rhythm for 3s, and dribble drive wrap-around passes in the paint have completely unlocked the offense and has helped create a program sea change from the prior star-focused ball-dominant regime

4.) Dominic James - his passing goes underappreciated (as does his entire career frankly) because of how he was used earlier in his career (higher volume shooter PG). But he was never a selfish player, and led an offense for a 4-year tournament team. Had an assist rate over 30% for his MU career.

5.) Junior Cadougan - another underappreciated player, he was a steady hand and had a great feel for pace (when to push in transition, when to probe in the half court, when to get out of the way for stars).

I only started following the program as a freshman in '02 so please chime in with any players you'd slot in with the above.
Agree with This but  Sam Worthen came immediately to mind too and would put Him somewhere in there. Mandy was awesome . I met him and Ate with him at Schroeder. He liked my ex gf. Although believe Mandy was a McDonalds All American an awesome quick and fast  player But would not put him on here as a passer since he predetermined his reads too much and could not adjust fast enough in mid dribble to either pass or shoot. But love Mandy as a person and player.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 01:07:21 PM by MarquetteMike1977 »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2022, 01:03:52 PM »

This joke bites.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2022, 01:05:25 PM »
Mike1977

Mandy liked everyone's gf or ex-gf. He was a great guy, great defender but far from an all time great MU passer.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2022, 01:08:13 PM »
#31...end of da disskoosion, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2022, 01:09:23 PM »
Please consider turnover rates
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2022, 01:10:00 PM »
1. Tony Miller
2. Worthen
3. Diener
4. Dominic James
5. Hutch
6. Walton

I'd stop it there.

DJames over Kolek with Kolek not even worthy of the list? Is it just because Kolek hasn't finished his career yet? Just curious on your take is all since you saw the Worthen/Hutch/Walton/Miller crew too

Goose

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2022, 01:15:11 PM »
Doc

31 would have field day in this style of ball. Plus, he was a tall, talented PG. His height was made him even better as a passer.

feedback