[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Our Bigs vs Nova  (Read 7890 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Our Bigs vs Nova
« on: January 17, 2022, 09:08:58 PM »
How would you use them Wed night?  Nova is really small.  I'm wondering if Oso can actually exploit them down low or at least force a double?  Or do people expect we'll play a lot of O-Max or Lewis at the 5?   Nova seems to be a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde ball club.  I do think JLew has the tools to exploit then if he's patient. 

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Our Bigs vs Nova
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 09:19:04 PM »
Dixon is as wide as both centers, not sure how to stop Dixon

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 09:25:00 PM »
More attacking the basket without fear of a shot blocker.  MU will be switching 1-4 defensively and hedging, not switching, on the high pick and roll.   No more Theo guarding Gillespie while Carton guards the post.    Jay loves to create mismatches with all of their action.   Probably spread out and attack TKo, Kam, and Stevie off the dribble. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 09:26:18 PM »
Dixon is as wide as both centers, not sure how to stop Dixon

He's heavier than I realized.  Samuels has played out of his ass vs us.  Hopefully we find a way to put together a complete game. 

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 09:38:46 PM »
Key is if Morsell can guard Gillespie, he is the key to there team.  No way that Kolek is strong enough, Maybe Prosper can play him as well

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 10:04:00 PM »
Nova's bigs are short, not small. Oso and Kur aren't exploiting anyone down there on their own. If they do, it is because Kolek is moving the defense and getting them the ball where they can score.

However, I do think they can do some exploiting on the defensive end.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 10:07:41 PM »
More attacking the basket without fear of a shot blocker.  MU will be switching 1-4 defensively and hedging, not switching, on the high pick and roll.   No more Theo guarding Gillespie while Carton guards the post.    Jay loves to create mismatches with all of their action.   Probably spread out and attack TKo, Kam, and Stevie off the dribble.

I've noticed the last couple of games that Kolek, Elliott and Jones have ended up on bigs after switches but it hasn't really hurt us. I don't like any of those guys' chances against Samuels, Slater or Dixon. And even Moore and Gillespie are good in the post. It'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

They have to defend us, too. I hope we're hitting some 3s.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 10:46:59 PM »
How would you use them Wed night?  Nova is really small.  I'm wondering if Oso can actually exploit them down low or at least force a double?  Or do people expect we'll play a lot of O-Max or Lewis at the 5?   Nova seems to be a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde ball club.  I do think JLew has the tools to exploit then if he's patient.

I would use them exactly how they have been using them.  Screen and rolls. Dives to the rim. Shot blocking safety nets. Use Oso in some dribble action from the elbow. Don't change anything just because we are set to play the ALMIGHTY NOVA. Similar to how last week when they took us in the huddle and Shaka was saying "get the shots we want", I think that applies to the game as a whole against Nova.

Play the game we want.
VIOLENCE!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 11:15:19 PM »
Key is if Morsell can guard Gillespie, he is the key to there team.  No way that Kolek is strong enough, Maybe Prosper can play him as well

I actually like how we matchup with Nova.  Kolek will likely have to guard Gillespie because I don't think he's capable of preventing Moore from getting to the rim, but I think Kolek can cause equal problems for Gillespie on the other end with his quickness. Gillespie isn't quick defensively.

Marquette usually doesn't have a problem scoring on Nova, they just rarely defend them well. I also really like the Marquette playstyle in this matchup, because although Nova isn't afraid to run up and down, they are pretty thin in their depth.  Our size and length could cause issues for them.

I really think Justin is a matchup nightmare for them if he plays how he should.  If he's strong on the elbow and the block he will be incredibly difficult for them to guard.  DON'T SETTLE FOR 3S JUSTIN! GO DOMINATE DOWN LOW BIG FELLA! I think if MU sticks to their game we might look at the clock late in the game and realize the win is right there for the taking.
VIOLENCE!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 11:45:18 PM »
They're so well-coached, especially offensively. They feast on over-zealous closeouts/jumps into the passing lanes. They'll attack it, jump stop, kick out, and now the ball is moving and you're scrambling. Love watching it when it's not against MU.

I don't feel good about this one. They're a really mature team. They won't get rattled even if MU turns them over at times. But that's the beauty of that Hall win, no pressure at all, just go hoop and see what happens.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 08:44:55 AM by MUfan12 »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 12:01:14 AM »
Play to have fun, your expected to lose, but you go in there and play like the last 4 games, not how you played against UCLA, frighten kids then.  This is a real test for Shaka as well, MU has experience, they have played in tough venues, play the system, take good shots. And guard Gillespie!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 07:57:56 AM »
Pray
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 08:15:02 AM »
I actually like how we matchup with Nova.  Kolek will likely have to guard Gillespie because I don't think he's capable of preventing Moore from getting to the rim, but I think Kolek can cause equal problems for Gillespie on the other end with his quickness. Gillespie isn't quick defensively.

Marquette usually doesn't have a problem scoring on Nova, they just rarely defend them well. I also really like the Marquette playstyle in this matchup, because although Nova isn't afraid to run up and down, they are pretty thin in their depth.  Our size and length could cause issues for them.

I really think Justin is a matchup nightmare for them if he plays how he should.  If he's strong on the elbow and the block he will be incredibly difficult for them to guard.  DON'T SETTLE FOR 3S JUSTIN! GO DOMINATE DOWN LOW BIG FELLA! I think if MU sticks to their game we might look at the clock late in the game and realize the win is right there for the taking.

Lots of good stuff here 03. Love your optimism but I confess I do not share it. I zeroed in on the lack of depth you mentioned as I think it's our best chance of pulling off a huge upset. Go down low and saddle them with fouls- especially Gillespie. Your previous post about not playing differently just because we are playing "Almighty Nova" is spot on. That includes some three pointers. Hope they are going down like they did vs.SH. That saved our butts as they killed us on rebounds. Although I am not optimistic, let's all remember that the game is yet to be played. A win is certainly not impossible. I continue to think that we have a solid chance to beat them in Milwaukee and that this game will, at the very least, give our guys an opportunity to learn how to play "Almighty Nova".
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 08:21:54 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 08:36:48 AM »
I wouldn't assume that Nova isn't deep. Some of the guys who barely play are good players. That's what happens when you are that good.

The exception is PG. If Gillespie isn't on the floor, they tend to be in trouble.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 08:50:43 AM »
Lots of good stuff here 03. Love your optimism but I confess I do not share it. I zeroed in on the lack of depth you mentioned as I think it's our best chance of pulling off a huge upset. Go down low and saddle them with fouls- especially Gillespie. Your previous post about not playing differently just because we are playing "Almighty Nova" is spot on. That includes some three pointers. Hope they are going down like they did vs.SH. That saved our butts as they killed us on rebounds. Although I am not optimistic, let's all remember that the game is yet to be played. A win is certainly not impossible. I continue to think that we have a solid chance to beat them in Milwaukee and that this game will, at the very least, give our guys an opportunity to learn how to play "Almighty Nova".

I think it will all come down to how they defend the jumpshot. I really think Kur will be a challenge for Nova trying to score down low. Nova will gladly make it a jump shooting game if Marquette is struggling to defend them.
VIOLENCE!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 09:25:02 AM »
My worry with 'Nova is that they have done really well against teams that play at a tempo that would speed them up. Tennessee, Xavier, Seton Hall, all of them play pretty quick offense. In addition, we've had the most trouble with teams that are a bit more deliberate and take care of the ball, like the Bonnies and Wisconsin. Maybe we get them in the game back here, especially as we will have seen them up close, but against an elite team tailor made to handle our kind of pressure, especially at the Fin, I don't see it.

I went back and looked at their Big East record at their two home venues since the league reformation. If kenpom is right, here they are:

Finneran Pavilion: 44-1 (0.978 WP)
Wells-Fargo Center: 25-6 (0.806 WP)

They haven't lost at the Fin in Big East play in nearly 5 years (February 22, 2017) and it's their only loss there since 2014. If this were at WFC, maybe we'd have a chance, but that place has been a house of horrors for us and we haven't won any "at Villanova" game since 2012, which was Jay's only losing season there since 2003, and we've only won at Villanova twice since we joined the Big East (Crean did it in 2008, Buzz in 2012). This is just a nightmare fixture for us.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2022, 09:37:13 AM »
I would use them exactly how they have been using them.  Screen and rolls. Dives to the rim. Shot blocking safety nets. Use Oso in some dribble action from the elbow. Don't change anything just because we are set to play the ALMIGHTY NOVA. Similar to how last week when they took us in the huddle and Shaka was saying "get the shots we want", I think that applies to the game as a whole against Nova.

Play the game we want.

Great post. If we lose, let's not lose because we got rattled and tried to play Nova's game. If they're simply better, so be it.

Finneran Pavilion: 44-1

GurneeHitchkr

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2022, 10:13:49 AM »
What am I missing?  I think Nova's bigs ARE big.  Not tall, but very wide and very strong.  We won't be pushing them around in the paint.  But we can go over them if we can get close enough to the rim. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2022, 10:16:02 AM »

That Butler game was wild because 'Nova led by 7 with ten minutes to play and really hadn't been challenged much. Then Kelan Martin went off, Butler went on an 18-0 run, and it was pretty much over. I suppose the formula, if there is one for something that has happened once in 9 years, is stay relatively close then deliver a knockout punch too late to come back from.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2022, 05:19:44 PM »
Looks like the consensus is Nova -12
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2022, 06:07:26 PM »
They're so well-coached, especially offensively. They feast on over-zealous closeouts/jumps into the passing lanes. They'll attack it, jump stop, kick out, and now the ball is moving and you're scrambling. Love watching it when it's not against MU.

I don't feel good about this one. They're a really mature team. They won't get rattled even if MU turns them over at times. But that's the beauty of that Hall win, no pressure at all, just go hoop and see what happens.

I’m no coach, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn.

That first paragraph kind of reminded me of what MU has done offensively in the past several games, more-so during over zealous defending in the P&R.

I keep wondering when an opposing team will just stay at home and have their big just quickly drop into the lane and let their guard go behind the screen and just give Kolek the open 3 if he wants it… seems like the best way to defend Marquette in that pick and roll, just drop back and pack the lane, dare TyKo to shoot a J.

Im not sure if Nova plays a zone very often, but I am sure that Jay Wright is a genius game planner.
I wouldn’t be surprised if one way or another he coached up his team to not get beat by the pick and roll and forced MU into taking a lot of jumpers.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2022, 11:35:15 PM »
Looks like the consensus is Nova -12

Wow. I mean, we aren't great, but that's a lot of points to give to a pretty good team that's on a 4-game winning streak including 2 wins over top-20 teams.

panda

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2022, 06:44:08 AM »
Wow. I mean, we aren't great, but that's a lot of points to give to a pretty good team that's on a 4-game winning streak including 2 wins over top-20 teams.

They’ve blown out butler, Xavier and Creighton at home so far. I hope it’ll be close but this is the first game we’ve played this year that I’m not overly optimistic going into.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2022, 06:52:23 AM »
Nova is not small.   They are experienced and well coached.   Yes, getting Gillespie in foul trouble would help.    You don't out execute them.   You know what they are going to do.   To beat them, you have to force them into a poor shooting night and overwhelm them physically.  It is difficult to speed them up or turn them over.

Regardless of outcome, a good measuring stick and learning opportunity for our young guys.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2022, 07:27:23 AM »
-12 is a tremendous level of disrespect.  We can beat these guys, it's about whether we can put it all together?  Are we prepared defensively to guard for entire possessions?  Will we battle relentlessly for every loose ball?  Will we attack with unrelenting force/power/intelligence?  WIll we move the rock, stop overdribbling, and splash nets?  We have the personnel to win this game despite it being a difficult challenge.

Now, Nova is capable of wreaking havoc with the triple.  They're incredibly well coached, can get hot and in a rhythm, and obviously have outstanding and experienced guards. They very rarely beat themselves and their A game may just be too for our young guns.  Nevertheless, when it is all said and done, we have seen that this Warrior group has the ability to put together prime time barrages.

Obviously, we have to be able to handle the road pressure in Philly and Nova is a strong favorite. But if we play near how we have the last few contests I expect a pretty tight game.  Nova is absolutely capable of brickng like crazy, I'm glad they bludgeoned Butler.  Let's go out there with sky-high confidence, attack with zero hesitation, increase the tenacity all over the floor, and you never know what can happen.