[Today at 12:28:22 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 11:39:07 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Kolek's Shot  (Read 9295 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Kolek's Shot
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2022, 12:54:42 PM »
Fluffy, I really don't know what to say anymore.  I assume you are familiar with medieval weapons and there wide range of uses and capabilities?  Not to mention their badass nature and emphatic results if used properly?  There's nothing further I can elucidate about the subject.  If you cannot comprehend  my analogy or matter of speech what can I do?  I certainly hope you're familiar with zoomability and why I stress it and find it vitally important to future MU rosters.

After the pandemic making zoom a lot more popular I don't think the term zoomability has the same connotation it once would have.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2022, 01:05:38 PM »
Fluffy, I really don't know what to say anymore.  I assume you are familiar with medieval weapons and there wide range of uses and capabilities?  Not to mention their badass nature and emphatic results if used properly?  There's nothing further I can elucidate about the subject.  If you cannot comprehend  my analogy or matter of speech what can I do?  I certainly hope you're familiar with zoomability and why I stress it and find it vitally important to future MU rosters.

Would a medieval army beat a modern day equipped army?

Superfan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2022, 01:14:29 PM »
From what I’ve seen he has a hard time shooting off the dribble. He’s a much better shooter when he’s catching it off a pass. I think the fact that he’s playing point guard forces him to take too many shots off the dribble.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2022, 01:28:42 PM »
Only if they go to big pots of boiling oil dumped down from the castle wall while under siege.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2022, 01:35:27 PM »

Depends on which army better knew the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2022, 01:44:28 PM »
I've never coached but is there something you experts see in his J that is causing some of his probs?  My personal take is that this is mostly a confidence issue.  He's shooting 84% from the stripe.  Anyway, in order to reach our ceiling, which I believe is top 4/5 in the BEast, the rebounding and TK's shooting percentage needs to go up.  Kolek does a lot of good things on the floor and we are at our best when he is on his game.  I just feel if he can find his confidence with his jumper this MU team becomes monumentally more difficult to guard. 

Having watched every team in the BEast I honestly don't think there's much of a separation between the assumed top trio and us.  The difference I see is that our margin for error may be smaller with the rebounding issues.  Nevertheless, I do feel we have the overall personnel to be in that top 5 and that our spurtability is among the best in the conference.   If Kolek in particular can just increase his percentages a bit I feel we're even more explosive and a big problem for our competition.  In other words it takes us from bubble to a solid tourney team Imao.
Off Season  is the time for skills improvement . I am sure all the players on the team will be working on specific skills as the coaching staff suggest.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2022, 02:45:03 PM »
I think Kolek will be fine over time.

Im actually less concerned with his outside shot then some of his current misses inside the arc.

When he goes in for lay ups he does a weird "lob" type of shot where he kinda toss it of the back board rather than laying it in frequently. Which has resulted in missing lay ups(had 1 yesterday)

Also yesterday he did a free throw line pull up, where I mentioned in the game thread it was almost as if he shot it thinking he was behind the 3 line. Thats how much force he put into it.

I do think he will be ok over time though. And I absolutely love what he brings overall
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2022, 03:28:22 PM »
I've never coached but is there something you experts see in his J that is causing some of his probs?  My personal take is that this is mostly a confidence issue.  He's shooting 84% from the stripe.  Anyway, in order to reach our ceiling, which I believe is top 4/5 in the BEast, the rebounding and TK's shooting percentage needs to go up.  Kolek does a lot of good things on the floor and we are at our best when he is on his game.  I just feel if he can find his confidence with his jumper this MU team becomes monumentally more difficult to guard. 

Having watched every team in the BEast I honestly don't think there's much of a separation between the assumed top trio and us.  The difference I see is that our margin for error may be smaller with the rebounding issues.  Nevertheless, I do feel we have the overall personnel to be in that top 5 and that our spurtability is among the best in the conference.   If Kolek in particular can just increase his percentages a bit I feel we're even more explosive and a big problem for our competition.  In other words it takes us from bubble to a solid tourney team Imao.

Easy to see why in my opinion. He isn't a shooter, maybe never will be.

He has a set shot rather than a jumpshot and has a weird release with his wrist. He will never be a shooter in the Big East, but still can make us tough to guard if he can hit open shots.

If he gets an open look he should take it and if he can hit the ones that matter it will change things in a major way for this team.
VIOLENCE!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2022, 07:47:12 PM »
I think Kolek will be fine over time.

Im actually less concerned with his outside shot then some of his current misses inside the arc.

When he goes in for lay ups he does a weird "lob" type of shot where he kinda toss it of the back board rather than laying it in frequently. Which has resulted in missing lay ups(had 1 yesterday)

Also yesterday he did a free throw line pull up, where I mentioned in the game thread it was almost as if he shot it thinking he was behind the 3 line. Thats how much force he put into it.

I do think he will be ok over time though. And I absolutely love what he brings overall

Very good point.  Do you think his chippie misses are part nerves?

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2022, 10:26:23 PM »
He has proven to me that he is as good passer in the country on the pick and roll, against SH they have a man mountain down below and Tyler had chances to make layups but he missed them.  Had a bunny layup he totally missed. If MU wants to get to the next level, Kolek needs to score a little as yesterday Prosser, Kuath, Oso, and Kolek scored less then 10 points combine. As I was very lefty dominate point, he needs to work on driving with his right hand once in awhile.  3 years from now he should be really good.  Needs to improve his quickness on D, SH was going right at him yesterday plus get stronger which he will do.

Completely agree that Kolek needs to score more.  How that happens doesn't really matter but given his size / position, you'd think most of his scoring will occur from the perimeter.  His outside shot clearly needs improvement which I suspect will come eventually.  As others have mentioned, he's playing at a faster pace now and handling point which is very different than what he's used to so hopefully his outside shot will improve.  He doesn't have to be Diener or Novak esque but he absolutely needs to score more.  While I agree that a PG's primary role is to distribute, Tyler plays way too many minutes to score so little.  I firmly believe that any starting PG at the high-major level needs to average at least 9PPG if not double figures.  I can't think of an elite level team with a starting PG that doesn't.  During the Wilson years, I looked at the stats regularly and while very good defensively, his PPG his last season was half that of every other starting PG in the league.   At the time the starting PG's in the conference all averaged right around 11PPG I think, and Derrick was like 5.2 or something so basically just half of all his peers.   Tyler's PPG as of yesterday is 6.6.   If he could get that avg up another 3.4 points, it would help tremendously.  I went back and looked at Derricks PPG AVG for all 4 years and it was 3, so the good news is Tyler is already more than double that so that's a good sign.   Making 1 more 3pt shot per game will get him very close to that avg. which seems more than doable.  I'm not going to bother looking it up but it would be interesting to see where he stands vs others in terms of total minutes played vs. ppg and what that disparity is.  It wouldn't surprise me if it was among the lowest in conf.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 10:31:04 PM by Disco Hippie »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2022, 08:35:02 AM »
Kolek looks to me like he's carrying a leg injury.  Sometimes his shot looks good when he gets his legs into it and gets some lift but lately especially it's all arms and hands.  I recall he had some kind of leg injury early in the season but cannot recall what it was... but it seems to be still bothering. 

With any luck and good coaching he'll make it through the season and get better, and fix/rest it in the offseason while also working on his mechanics a little. 

Helluva PG, definitely not a Derrick... I still predict he'll be more of a Tony Miller. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Magnum

• Walk-On
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2022, 09:28:49 AM »
Conventional thinking is that you focus on fundamentals in practice and try not to think about it during the game. One interesting in game adjustment that I heard about recently was from Khris Middleton, he apparently has notes on his shot that he reviews at half time when his shot feels off, and he has had some great bounce backs from poor shooting first halfs. Not sure if this is an answer, but I think it’s been effective for Khris.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2022, 10:12:38 AM »
Kolek looks to me like he's carrying a leg injury.  Sometimes his shot looks good when he gets his legs into it and gets some lift but lately especially it's all arms and hands.  I recall he had some kind of leg injury early in the season but cannot recall what it was... but it seems to be still bothering.

Well, Tyler's had a grand total of 3 good-shooting games the entire season ... and I don't think he's been hurt the entire season.

I do think he has gotten worn down during some of the tougher games in which he's played heavy minutes. He also probably has confidence issues because he hasn't seen the ball go through the hoop enough.

But there's also the simple fact that he's never been a great shooter at this level. He was OK playing off the ball last season (.358 from 3, .399 overall), and he has a lot of responsibilities this season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Viper

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2022, 10:17:54 AM »

i’ve said it numerous times on Scoop, Kolek’s release is as such that the ball rotation is off. It’s a side-rotation. Therefore he’ll not get the friendly bounce. Sure, he’ll have games from time-to-time where he’s 5/7, 6/8, but not often. Release, hence ball rotation, is critical. A slightly flat shot too, which doesn’t help.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2022, 10:39:28 AM »
i’ve said it numerous times on Scoop, Kolek’s release is as such that the ball rotation is off. It’s a side-rotation. Therefore he’ll not get the friendly bounce. Sure, he’ll have games from time-to-time where he’s 5/7, 6/8, but not often. Release, hence ball rotation, is critical. A slightly flat shot too, which doesn’t help.

The rotation overall seems to minimal too. Feels like a shot put at times. Because speculative scoop is speculative, some of his flatness and weird rotation could be from pushing it--maybe just a nagging finger/wrist issue? Might also be why there's less spin on the layups, leading to some inconsistency.

Viper, have you been able to view previous film of him to see if the rotation is different during his GM days? It'd be interesting to see.

Either way, TK's court vision is amazing and he's the epitome of a glue guy that keeps things moving and makes everyone better.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2022, 10:57:11 AM »
Kolek is a very good shooter on the catch and shoot. When he can square up, he's reliable. However, he's a horrible shooter off the dribble, which is where we see many of his misses. He just doesn't have that in his toolbox. I think the key is that his game is all about creating for others, but when he shoots from deep, it needs to be created BY others.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2022, 03:43:05 PM »
Kolek is a very good shooter on the catch and shoot. When he can square up, he's reliable. However, he's a horrible shooter off the dribble, which is where we see many of his misses. He just doesn't have that in his toolbox. I think the key is that his game is all about creating for others, but when he shoots from deep, it needs to be created BY others.

brew, curious if you have numbers for him re catch-and-shoot vs. off-the-dribble.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2022, 03:48:11 PM »

I also seem to notice his shot is way too flat when he shoots off the dribble - almost like a line drive.

Even off the C&S, his arc is nowhere near that of guys like Kam, Greg, and Justin.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2022, 04:41:44 PM »
The rotation overall seems to minimal too. Feels like a shot put at times. Because speculative scoop is speculative, some of his flatness and weird rotation could be from pushing it--maybe just a nagging finger/wrist issue? Might also be why there's less spin on the layups, leading to some inconsistency.

Viper, have you been able to view previous film of him to see if the rotation is different during his GM days? It'd be interesting to see.

Either way, TK's court vision is amazing and he's the epitome of a glue guy that keeps things moving and makes everyone better.
i do recall a video highlight from when he signed w/Marquette where it seemed his shot did have more rotation than it does now, and his shot was less of a ‘set’. Also wondering if the point guard role has hurt Kolek’s shooting. More tired legs?
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2022, 05:04:05 PM »
Tyler is playing now at the highest level against bigger, quicker and more athletic players. Last season his eFG% was 57.4%, 72.2% at the rim, 38.5% for 2 point jumpers and 36.6% from treyland as a two guard. This season his eFG% is 36.7%, 41.0% at the rim, 36.8% for 2 point jumpers and 23.0% from three as the PG.

If you look at his GM videos, the difference in the quality of his defenders is clearly evident. The good news is he is focusing more on efficiency, moving the ball and taking better quality shots. His Orating is 102.2 in conference versus 89.7 for the season. A new league, school and position.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2022, 05:09:51 PM »
While I think Kolek is a better shooter than he has shown thus far, I have given up on the big improvement dream for this season. I hope he continues to dish the ball at a high level and Kam gets more open looks. As the season progresses different guys need to step up. The good thing is we have guys that can step up. This is the first MU team  since Buzz that I can say that I have no clear-cut favorite player. Whatever guy(s) step up in a given night are my favorite for the night. It is like my kids; I tell them that whichever one I am with is my favorite at that moment. All are tied at the top, but at any given moment one stands out for that period in time. Yesterday there was a three way tie for leader in the clubhouse at our office.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 05:12:29 PM by Goose »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2022, 06:10:41 PM »

With any luck and good coaching he'll make it through the season and get better, and fix/rest it in the offseason while also working on his mechanics a little. 

Helluva PG, definitely not a Derrick... I still predict he'll be more of a Tony Miller.
Got that right, definitely not a Derrick, but Tony Miller is a tall comparison. Does not matter, as long as he is in the game, MU has a chance.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2022, 06:35:04 PM »
While I think Kolek is a better shooter than he has shown thus far, I have given up on the big improvement dream for this season. I hope he continues to dish the ball at a high level and Kam gets more open looks. As the season progresses different guys need to step up. The good thing is we have guys that can step up. This is the first MU team  since Buzz that I can say that I have no clear-cut favorite player. Whatever guy(s) step up in a given night are my favorite for the night. It is like my kids; I tell them that whichever one I am with is my favorite at that moment. All are tied at the top, but at any given moment one stands out for that period in time. Yesterday there was a three way tie for leader in the clubhouse at our office.

Well said, Goose.

On Kam: He sure has a sweet-looking shot. Great arc, release, rotation and follow-through. He's gonna be a big-time player for us once he gains experience and improves his overall game.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2022, 06:52:53 PM »
Well said, Goose.

On Kam: He sure has a sweet-looking shot. Great arc, release, rotation and follow-through. He's gonna be a big-time player for us once he gains experience and improves his overall game.

At least once a game for awhile now I've turned to my fiancé and said "I was so not excited about Kam but I have never been so happy to eat my words!"
Maigh Eo for Sam

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2022, 07:37:24 PM »
At least once a game for awhile now I've turned to my fiancé and said "I was so not excited about Kam but I have never been so happy to eat my words!"

So when is the Big Day?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.