Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: One Possession Games  (Read 1540 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
One Possession Games
« on: January 20, 2022, 10:46:27 AM »
I am trying to find it, but I did an analysis back in time, if I recall correctly, that found great coaches (K, Wright, etc.), on average win at least 57% of one possession or OT games. The hypothesis was the coaches can decide a few possessions per game with their situationals, and thus are more influential in close games.

MU is 5-1 in these games this season, with Creighton being the loss. Now, this will even out over time, but this is a positive sign going forward to me. One of my few concerns from afar with Shaka based on his early NCAA bow-outs, was his in game situationals. And in the UCONN (close game but not one possession) and CU games, as I posted here, this bias was reinforced by what we thought were in game mistakes (strategy, scorer desk missing opposing team fouls on the board that would have put MU in the bonus earlier, late time outs on runs, etc).

However, in the SH and Nova games, the situationals have been flawless. This idea of having the players vetoing the coaches says a lot about the communication and execution in these close games overriding whiteboard strategy. It also says a lot about confidence in his team (and his ego to let go), but there is a lesson in there about the players’ joint ownership and being clear on what’s going on in stressful and fluid  situations where the fog of war takes over.

Btw, Wojo teams were .500 at 25-25. MU has averaged 7-8 per year of these games, and the tally is already at six so the roller coaster is still open. Having a great defense helps ease the stomach.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: One Possession Games
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 10:54:34 AM »
Yeah I think a huge thing is first having a good team defense that can get key stops.

Thats how weve won a lot of these close ones. Especially the two biggest metric wise in Illinois and Nova. We were not scoring in bunches in those games. It was a slow death for those teams over the final 7ish minutes.

And then like you said coaching does matter. Making the right decisions, the right rotation. Drawing up plays. I think Shaka has been really good in that regard. He botched Creighton in a few different ways(though outside of lack of foul up 3, some may of been due to no Kam and a sick Greg).

But he was huge in games like Illinois and Nova. He trusted freshman Stevie on D vs Illinois. He had clearly the right 5 against Nova. SHU imo the final 4 minutes were a masterclass.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 10:56:45 AM »
Watched DePaul blow their chance last night. Possession with @40 seconds on the board and no time out,
No play just hero ball which had cost them their slender lead in the waning minutes.

panda

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 11:00:24 AM »
When MU was 0-3 in conference, I said this team reminded me so much of the midgets team.

A bunch of close losses, but clearly a high level of experience and talent mixed together. Hard nosed players who pride themselves on the defensive end.

So proud of the character from this team and I do believe the losses, especially Creighton, has driven them to this point.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 11:03:05 AM »
Watched DePaul blow their chance last night. Possession with @40 seconds on the board and no time out,
No play just hero ball which had cost them their slender lead in the waning minutes.

You were able to watch DePaul? I just watched a hand in front of the camera
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 11:04:00 AM »
Last night it worked out but when the game is close justin Lewis tries to play a bit of too much hero ball in my opinion. I was wondering if anyone had any stats of Justin Lewis fg% when he has his back to the basket in iso situations. Seems like it rarely works out. However Lewis beating his defender off the dribble and going all the way to the rim works great.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 11:06:59 AM »
Great stuff, Dr. B. Another reason for excitement about the future of the program.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 11:08:34 AM »
You were able to watch DePaul? I just watched a hand in front of the camera

That was funny.!
And it was right in front of the rim & backboard so you could not see what was happening in the closing seconds.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 11:11:35 AM »
When MU was 0-3 in conference, I said this team reminded me so much of the midgets team.

A bunch of close losses, but clearly a high level of experience and talent mixed together. Hard nosed players who pride themselves on the defensive end.

So proud of the character from this team and I do believe the losses, especially Creighton, has driven them to this point.

Agreed. I also thought we just needed to break the seal on a Big East win, and that would allow us to play more freely. Granted, I didn’t think it would lead to this much success. This team is in a groove right now and it’s fun to see it lead by effort/defense.

Paint Touches has posted since BE play started, we are playing like a Top 15 team.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 11:26:35 AM »
That was funny.!
And it was right in front of the rim & backboard so you could not see what was happening in the closing seconds.
Yeah, I stayed up past my bedtime to see that. I was thinking during the end of the game, "who do I want to win?", then I came to the conclusion that I don't care. I think this years MU team will do well enough where we don't have to worry who wins a game between X and DePaul to make our fate.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 07:34:21 PM »
Last night it worked out but when the game is close justin Lewis tries to play a bit of too much hero ball in my opinion. I was wondering if anyone had any stats of Justin Lewis fg% when he has his back to the basket in iso situations. Seems like it rarely works out. However Lewis beating his defender off the dribble and going all the way to the rim works great.
It is not hero ball it is what the coach wants. People keep calling it hero ball, there are players the coach wants to be aggressive. Listen to Shaka on Thursdays, he is all in on Justin.
Goal is National Championship

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 07:51:46 PM »
It is not hero ball it is what the coach wants. People keep calling it hero ball, there are players the coach wants to be aggressive. Listen to Shaka on Thursdays, he is all in on Justin.

I agree.  Not hero ball.   Don’t see that much on this team.   Which is good.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 08:12:04 PM »
Having a great defense helps ease the stomach.

I really enjoy the buy-in from the team this year. When they slap the floor it feels organic. I believe that they believe they're going to get the stop.