[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Apple likely considering Big East/NCAA content  (Read 2434 times)

D'Lo Brown

• All American
Apple likely considering Big East/NCAA content
« on: January 14, 2022, 07:17:54 AM »
With Apple spending $7 billion annually on original content and having roughly $200 billion of cash on its balance sheet, we believe the company is gearing up to bid on a number of upcoming sports packages coming up for contract/renewals in future years. We note that upcoming sports packages potentially for bid over the next four years that Apple can be involved with (in some capacity/semi-exclusive) are: NFL (Sunday Night Ticket), Big Ten, Pac 12, Big East, Big 12, other NCAA sports packages (2024 timing), NASCAR, and the NBA/WNBA.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/01/14/apple-to-spend-billions-live-sports-content/

Imagine this must be good news regardless (especially if it means less Dickey Simpkins)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Apple likely considering Big East/NCAA content
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 07:52:34 AM »
Unless I need to buy an apple TV subscription on top of everything else
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 08:02:17 AM »
Apple buys NFL TV rights >>. Broadcasts live w/o commercials >> No more TV time outs and long delays >> NFL restructures clock related rules to speed up game >> NFL games suddenly become watchable again >> more NFL viewers because games are now less than 2 hours.

That would be great. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

fjm

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 08:02:33 AM »

31 games in a season.

—First 10 are on FS1

—games 11-20 are split between CBSSN, Disney (with Mickey Mouse commentating) and NBC (can only watch on peacock gold app),

—games 22-25 are on HBOmax,

—games 26-31 are on FuboTv

—game 21 and the BEast Tourney is on AppleTV (why game 21 and then the tourney gap? that way your free 30 day trial ends before the BEast tourney.)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 08:02:52 AM »

Currently they're offering a 3 month free trial. Sit on that till next season.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 08:58:25 AM »
Apple buys NFL TV rights >>. Broadcasts live w/o commercials >> No more TV time outs and long delays >> NFL restructures clock related rules to speed up game >> NFL games suddenly become watchable again >> more NFL viewers because games are now less than 2 hours.

That would be great.

I don’t think it would work like that. But it’s a nice thought.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 11:25:55 AM »
Yeah, as someone not enveloped by the Apple matrix, this would be bad news for the BE in my eyes.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 12:32:11 PM »
Yeah, as someone not enveloped by the Apple matrix, this would be bad news for the BE in my eyes.

From my own personal standpoint, I agree. But we might reach a lot more younger eyes with games on a streaming service.

As crappy as most Apple+ shows are, they need sports on their service.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 12:40:37 PM »
From my own personal standpoint, I agree. But we might reach a lot more younger eyes with games on a streaming service.

As crappy as most Apple+ shows are, they need sports on their service.

Ted Lasso was good enough that everything else can suck and it's still worth it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 02:24:22 PM »

That would be great.

NFL doesnt have specific TV timeouts, correct? I guess after kickoffs and when teams switch D and O there is an built-in commercial break?

This 100% should happen in basketball. Absolute asinine a sport has built in stoppages for television with the amount of stoppages already built-in. Basketball should be looking to emulate soccer, not American football, and focus on making the game pace flow better. The sport is already inundated with endless stoppages at the end of games.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 03:06:08 PM »

But then you could watch Ted Lasso!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 04:00:44 PM »
Apple+ is the only streaming APP I cannot get to work on my new Fire TV. 
The infinite spinning wheel.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 04:02:41 PM »
Apple+ is the only streaming APP I cannot get to work on my new Fire TV. 
The infinite spinning wheel.

Paramount+ for me on Samsung. I can watch live USMNT matches, but when it comes to streaming content, spin spin spin.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 10:48:26 PM »
Few talk about it, but the brutal war between streaming dollars and gambling dollars is coming. And it will be a bloodbath.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2022, 03:14:53 AM »
NFL doesnt have specific TV timeouts, correct? I guess after kickoffs and when teams switch D and O there is an built-in commercial break?

I think your being serious. Not sure. The NFL is one big TV break after another. Unless you think players need to stand around for minutes with hands on their hips talking about last nights dinner.  Except for playoff games, I stopped watching NFL games live years ago.

It would be the equivalent of basketball going to break for minutes when a new player enters the game. Ok, not exactly, but you get the idea.

At least the NFL stopped always going to ads in one circumstance: score, cut to add, kick off, cut to Ad. A kickoff sandwiched between 6 minutes of ads. 

Anyway, I’d love for games to be on a streaming service. Cable and  its little brother - live streaming services - are dying unless your an older guy or someone who watches fixer up shows all day.

I’d hate for the BE to get tied to cable or cable light for additional 10 years. It’s dying. In 10 years very few people will have it. Death for BE. Plus Apple and a few of the streaming services will be way out front on what is about to happen with VR and AR etc.  that is where we want to be.

feedback