[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Duane Wilson has some thoughts on Buzz  (Read 19438 times)

Elonsmusk

• All American
Re: Duane Wilson has some thoughts on Buzz
« Reply #175 on: January 14, 2022, 01:06:46 PM »
I'm not arguing that the Buzz years were anything other than excellent. I have many great memories from those times.
I just don't think Buzz's impact on the trajectory of the program was nearly that of Crean or O'Neill (and obviously Al is in a category of his own).
Three straight Sweet 16s is a notable accomplishment. But on the national scene, it pales compared to a Final Four.
Jimmy Butler and Jae Crowder are outstanding representatives of the program, but they're not crossover stars like Dwyane Wade.
Wining a share of the Big East title is outstanding. Getting invited to the Big East is program-altering.

I agree with all of the above. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #176 on: January 14, 2022, 01:57:46 PM »
Ehh ... I put this in the same Scoop Urban Legend category with "Shaka wanted the job in 2014, but his wife wouldn't let him take it."
You'll forgive me if I'm skeptical of a scenario in which a group of alumni fly cross-country to offer the job to a coach after the athletic director and president had already given it to someone else. And I'm even more skeptical of Tony Bennett accepting a job offered by a group of alumni rather than the AD and president.

Bill Cords was actually quite pissed off at those alums.

Tony was offered first, and turned it down. Next was Sean Miller who also turned it down. The group of alums, before Buzz was offered, went to convince Tony to change his mind (they did not offer). By the time he did and he called Cords it was too late, but had been offered and accepted. In college coaching searches big donors trying to do their own thing happens often since they're often the ones paying the salaries. When St. John's hired Lavin the founder of Vitamin Water, a SJU grad, went rogue and actually offered Billy Donovan.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/billy-donovan-turns-3m-year-offer-leave-florida-gators-st-john-red-storm-article-1.176774
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #177 on: January 14, 2022, 03:13:48 PM »
Ehh ... I put this in the same Scoop Urban Legend category with "Shaka wanted the job in 2014, but his wife wouldn't let him take it."
You'll forgive me if I'm skeptical of a scenario in which a group of alumni fly cross-country to offer the job to a coach after the athletic director and president had already given it to someone else. And I'm even more skeptical of Tony Bennett accepting a job offered by a group of alumni rather than the AD and president.

That's not exactly how it happened. Marquette offered Tony the job but he turned it down because his wife wanted him to go for LSU. Marquette moved on and things ended up progressing with Buzz.

LSU chose to go with Trent Johnson instead of Bennett. Marquette agreed to terms and Buzz signed his contract. 30 minutes later, Tony, now spurned by LSU, called Marquette to ask if the job was still open and they told him they had decided on Buzz. He ended up staying at WSU another year then bounced to Virginia the next year.

The job was there for him and he decided against it, then changed his mind too late. No matter, it's all just what ifs now.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #178 on: January 14, 2022, 03:40:05 PM »
I heard that Tony was about to take the job but Shaka's wife told him to turn it down.

Or maybe it was Shaka's wife who was about to take it but Stetson Bennett told her to turn it down.

So confusing!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2022, 03:47:59 PM »
I can’t believe Marquette almost hired a Badgers legend like Tony Bennett
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2022, 04:38:48 PM »
I heard that Tony was about to take the job but Shaka's wife told him to turn it down.

Or maybe it was Shaka's wife who was about to take it but Stetson Bennett told her to turn it down.

So confusing!

Marquette really needs to do some soul searching over why they turn off so many coaches' wives.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2022, 05:25:18 PM »
Can't find a non-creepy dentist.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #182 on: January 14, 2022, 06:41:12 PM »
Can't find a non-creepy dentist.

And we can’t find non-creepy patients

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #183 on: January 14, 2022, 06:59:40 PM »
Marquette really needs to do some soul searching over why they turn off so many coaches' wives.
Its just the old real estate axiom, location…location…location.  Just not for all.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #184 on: January 14, 2022, 09:29:10 PM »

I assume it's related to the crime in the area, ai na?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #185 on: January 14, 2022, 09:42:41 PM »
As much as I respect Bennett as a coach his style is un watchable at times, did it really help Sam to go there, not really. Not sure what Bond sees as well.  Buzz recruited a different type of player. Glad they did not get him.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #186 on: January 14, 2022, 09:45:16 PM »
Over 11,500 vehicles were stolen across the Milwaukee area in 2021. The trend doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon, hey?

Many of the larger municipalities in the Milwaukee area saw an increase of more than 75% when it came to reported vehicle thefts from 2020 to 2021.

Check out this story on jsonline.com: https://www.jsonline.com/story/communities/west/news/wauwatosa/2022/01/14/2021-record-setting-year-vehicle-thefts-in-around-milwaukee/9109596002/
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #187 on: January 14, 2022, 09:48:14 PM »
Off-duty Milwaukee police officer shot in Third Ward after intervening in attempted robbery, hey?

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/off-duty-milwaukee-police-officer-shot-multiple-times-in-third-ward-sources-say
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #188 on: January 14, 2022, 10:26:54 PM »
That's why enrollment is down at colleges and universities across the country, nu?

Parents don't want to pay tuition at Georgia Tech, Texas A&M, Arizona State, Montana or Cornell because of all that darn crime in Milwaukee.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Viper

• All American
« Reply #189 on: January 14, 2022, 11:08:03 PM »
I can’t believe Marquette almost hired a Badgers legend like Tony Bennett
is he a Badgers legend? Didn’t  play in Madison. Played at UWGB. Wasn’t a HC for RED...assistant, but not the HC. Took over as HC at Wash St after his Dad stepped down. I know he wins, but rough style of ball to watch.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #190 on: January 14, 2022, 11:52:57 PM »

Three straight Sweet 16s is a notable accomplishment.

Two S16s followed by an E8 is even more notable.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #191 on: January 14, 2022, 11:54:43 PM »

JakeBarnes

• All American
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #193 on: January 15, 2022, 03:27:11 AM »
I know most of you are joking, but the increase in crime is nationwide. After decades of crime decline, it really is to bad. Hopefully historical trends come back and this is a temporary blip. 

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/car-theft-spiked-during-pandemic/

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #194 on: January 15, 2022, 07:14:29 AM »
is he a Badgers legend? Didn’t  play in Madison. Played at UWGB. Wasn’t a HC for RED...assistant, but not the HC. Took over as HC at Wash St after his Dad stepped down. I know he wins, but rough style of ball to watch.

Just because he didn’t play there and only had a cup of tea on the sideline as an assistant doesn’t keep Walmart Badger fans from claiming him
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #196 on: January 15, 2022, 07:31:02 AM »
Is it true Duane doesn’t like Buzz because of the crime in Milwaukee or because Tony Bennett’s wife wanted to live in Baton Rogue?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #197 on: January 15, 2022, 07:37:45 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #198 on: January 15, 2022, 07:37:51 AM »
Over 11,500 vehicles were stolen across the Milwaukee area in 2021. The trend doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon, hey?

Many of the larger municipalities in the Milwaukee area saw an increase of more than 75% when it came to reported vehicle thefts from 2020 to 2021.

Check out this story on jsonline.com: https://www.jsonline.com/story/communities/west/news/wauwatosa/2022/01/14/2021-record-setting-year-vehicle-thefts-in-around-milwaukee/9109596002/

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GOO

• All American
« Reply #199 on: January 15, 2022, 08:09:18 AM »
Wrong

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/09/america-having-violence-wave-not-crime-wave/620234/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/many-americans-are-convinced-crime-is-rising-in-the-u-s-theyre-wrong/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jun/30/us-crime-rate-homcides-explained
I’m always open to being wrong, and I am aware of a lot of our and my biases and our poor ability to judge risk. I am very aware of the decrease in crime over long term visitors and for decades, etc.

Did you read the articles you posted. Unless you are specifically limiting and talking about property crimes, and cheery picking while ignoring the crime most are concerned with - violent crime-  they contradict your statement  that disputes what I posted. 

Here is a quote from the first article you posted:

“There was no crime wave—there was a tsunami of lethal violence, and that’s it,” Philip Cook, a crime expert at Duke University, wrote to me in an email.

The murder rate rose by nearly 30 percent, the largest increase on record. There were about 21,500 murders, or 6.5 per 100,000 people. Aggravated assault, the most common form of violent crime, rose 12 percent. Among other components of the violent-crime rate, robbery actually decreased and rape reports were flat. But property crimes overall fell 8 percent, led by drops in burglary and larceny—though motor-vehicle theft increased.”

I could have made a better post, however. Maybe I should have limited my statement on crime increases to violent crime or to be more exact, car jackings which is mainly what I was thinking about and referenced in my link. But I did not properly convey my thoughts in my post.  The posts above mine were referencing cars being stolen and car jackings
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 08:12:59 AM by GOO »