[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Duane Wilson has some thoughts on Buzz  (Read 19440 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Duane Wilson has some thoughts on Buzz
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2022, 10:24:14 AM »

Do you know how he speaks or writes in a professional setting?  Because my guess is that the only evidence you are using for your judgement is this actual tweet.

4ever is definitely the guy who should be calling out others for the way they use the English language online, aina?
<Clown emoji>

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2022, 10:24:28 AM »
This is partially correct. Buzz DID have alot of concerns regarding the new BEAST conference and it's viability.

However, THE reason that buzz ultimately decided to leave was when Larry Williams  greatly restricted JUCO recruitment. under Larry's new rule, JUCO's could only play ball for Marquette if they had enough credits to graduate while on the team. players like Jae Crowder were no longer "accaptable" in Larry's eyes.

as you recall Buzz feasted in the JUCO market. (Fulce, Butler, Crowder, DJO, etc.). This new rule greatly impacted the teams Buzz could construct moving forward.

Plus, Larry also put all freshman basketball players in a freshman dorm, not the basketball dorm because thats how is alma mater (Notre Dame) did it. That did not sit well with recruits as well.

And Larry Williams left and Bill Scholl didn't change the JUCO rule back - and it's still in affect today as far as I know.  Which is fine.  I understand and support that rule. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2022, 10:24:59 AM »
This is partially correct. Buzz DID have alot of concerns regarding the new BEAST conference and it's viability.

However, THE reason that buzz ultimately decided to leave was when Larry Williams  greatly restricted JUCO recruitment. under Larry's new rule, JUCO's could only play ball for Marquette if they had enough credits to graduate while on the team. players like Jae Crowder were no longer "accaptable" in Larry's eyes.

as you recall Buzz feasted in the JUCO market. (Fulce, Butler, Crowder, DJO, etc.). This new rule greatly impacted the teams Buzz could construct moving forward.

Plus, Larry also put all freshman basketball players in a freshman dorm, not the basketball dorm because thats how is alma mater (Notre Dame) did it. That did not sit well with recruits as well.

Larry was already gone so your theory is Buzz got rid of the problem and then said "well now that that's done I'm going to get out of dodge!" One top of that he had just brought in 3 top 100 recruits and a Juco all American rated as a top 10 recruiting class in the country so your theory that it was hindering recruiting also goes out the door.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2022, 10:30:21 AM »
Do what you want. Isn't that the beauty of America? I choose to call him out.
Maybe you can't differentiate one who knows and utilizes the English language properly on a daily basis and one who doesn't know any better. Particularly, after having graduated from college, hey?

As soon as you call out your fellow old, white dentist -- who hasn't written a legible post on Scoop in years (if ever) despite holding a Marquette degree -- you have the board's permission to call out somebody else for using poor English in social media posts.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2022, 10:31:07 AM »
Larry was already gone so your theory is Buzz got rid of the problem and then said "well now that that's done I'm going to get out of dodge!" One top of that he had just brought in 3 top 100 recruits and a Juco all American rated as a top 10 recruiting class in the country so your theory that it was hindering recruiting also goes out the door.

See Fluffy Blue Monster's comment above. The rule was never changed back. Buzz still had to follow it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2022, 10:34:52 AM »
As soon as you call out your fellow old, white dentist -- who hasn't written a legible post on Scoop in years (if ever) despite holding a Marquette degree -- you have the board's permission to call out somebody else for using poor English in social media posts.

Korrection, dat's too MU degrees, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2022, 10:35:04 AM »
Buzz' happy was messed with long before Larry Williams arrived. Larry was a catalyst not the cause.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2022, 10:37:00 AM »
“I will be taking my services to the University of Marquette”
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2022, 10:41:44 AM »
“I will be taking my services to the University of Marquette”

Didn't Markus Howard say this as well? I feel like a lot of recruits say this. Went from pet peeve to funny.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2022, 10:44:09 AM »

And Larry Williams left and Bill Scholl didn't change the JUCO rule back - and it's still in affect today as far as I know.  Which is fine.  I understand and support that rule.

Wait. I was told by Scoop for years there was no such "rule"?

In recent good news, though, MSOC signed a JUCO (although he didn't last), WVB signed a JUCO AA and Kur was a JUCO (although he also graduated from Oklahoma). Times are a changing I hope.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2022, 10:46:29 AM »

Korrection, dat's too MU degrees, hey?

This was funny.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2022, 10:46:41 AM »
I don't know what motivated Wilson tweeting about this now, but I also don't need to dive into Buzz vs administration to know that that final Buzz year was a waste of everyone's time.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2022, 10:56:31 AM »
TAMU is not having a great year so far.
They've feasted on a joke of a schedule (KenPom SOS = #291 overall, #324 nonconference).
12 of their 13 wins are against Quad 3 or Quad 4 opponents.

Still have to win the games you play.  But I take your point.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2022, 10:59:11 AM »

In recent good news, though, MSOC signed a JUCO (although he didn't last), WVB signed a JUCO AA and Kur was a JUCO (although he also graduated from Oklahoma). Times are a changing I hope.

There's a difference between "JUCOs need to be able to graduate by the time their eligibility expires" and "No JUCOs allowed."
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2022, 11:00:21 AM »

Perhaps semantics, or my memory, but  I thought you had said something to the effect of not allowed to recruit JUCOs.  Whereas, the reality is JUCOs were fine...if they could graduate.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2022, 11:02:46 AM »
Do what you want. Isn't that the beauty of America? I choose to call him out.
Maybe you can't differentiate one who knows and utilizes the English language properly on a daily basis and one who doesn't know any better. Particularly, after having graduated from college, hey?
We do not speak or write proper English in America, it is all American bastardized English.
Goal is National Championship

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2022, 11:03:01 AM »

What's wrong with only allowing that JUCOs who come in will actually graduate? I know MU got tired of nearly every player having to take summer school just to get eligible. Summer school is supposed to get guys ahead so they can graduate on time while only taking 12 credits per semester.  Guys like Fulce and Butler would have been fine, they were qualifiers out of HS. Crean had JUCO limitations too. He had to lobby hard to get Marcus Jackson in and wasn't allowed to bring in another 2-4 (Kinsella was a 4-2-4 who originally went to Rice so he didn't count at a JUCO) until Jackson graduated.

As for the dorm thing, it was Title IX issues that was at the heart of that decision.

Oh yeah, there were those pesky off-the-court issues with the team that embarrassed MU and Buzz laughed about.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2022, 11:07:28 AM »

There was no rule saying we couldn't recruit JUCOs which is what you previously claimed. There was/is a rule about the academic requirements needed for admission that impacted some JUCOs.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2022, 11:09:41 AM »

As for the dorm thing, it was Title IX issues that was at the heart of that decision.

Really? Can you further discuss this? MU being over cautious?

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2022, 11:10:36 AM »
What's wrong with only allowing that JUCOs who come in will actually graduate? I know MU got tired of nearly every player having to take summer school just to get eligible. Summer school is supposed to get guys ahead so they can graduate on time while only taking 12 credits per semester.  Guys like Fulce and Butler would have been fine, they were qualifiers out of HS. Crean had JUCO limitations too. He had to lobby hard to get Marcus Jackson in and wasn't allowed to bring in another 2-4 (Kinsella was a 4-2-4 who originally went to Rice so he didn't count at a JUCO) until Jackson graduated.

Oh yeah, there were those pesky off-the-court issues with the team that embarrassed MU and Buzz laughed about.

I'm not trying to defend Buzz, just stating the reasons behind his departure.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2022, 11:11:08 AM »
We do not speak or write proper English in America, it is all American bastardized English.

Which is a bastardized version of Middle English which is a bastardized version of old English which is bastardized Anglo-Frisian which is bastardized west Germanic, which is bastardized Germanic, which is bastardized indo-european.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2022, 11:16:12 AM »
Which is a bastardized version of Middle English which is a bastardized version of old English which is bastardized Anglo-Frisian which is bastardized west Germanic, which is bastardized Germanic, which is bastardized indo-european.

You been to England?  What some of those folks speak can barely be considered English either!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2022, 11:16:59 AM »

If you want to have fun at a linguistics meeting, have them debate the "Middle English Creole Hypothesis."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2022, 11:18:04 AM »

If you want to have fun at a linguistics meeting, have them debate the "Middle English Creole Hypothesis."

That sounds like my kind of fun!!!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2022, 11:23:23 AM »
You been to England?  What some of those folks speak can barely be considered English either!

Brass tacks! They're all a bit dilly in the loaf
Maigh Eo for Sam