[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Beating the BLUE! man group.  (Read 7909 times)

PointWarrior

• All American
Re: Beating the BLUE! man group.
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2022, 10:20:24 PM »
11.  Marquette almost scored in the 50’s on dunks alone (or it seemed that way)

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2022, 10:50:35 PM »
So refreshing to see a well-coached team, a coach that is respected, and a team that shares the ball incredibly well.  There has been some beautiful TEAM basketball being played.  The team is growing.  I think MU's early offensive struggles were the combination of learning Shaka's offensive system, learning each others tendencies/talents from never having played together, AND we have played the 6th toughest quality of opposition defense.

As Lavin and Nick B said - The arrow is pointing up for this team.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2022, 06:32:27 AM »
Big East teams don't know about Tyler Kolek, but they're learning. Our hot starts of late are due to him attacking the lane and creating out of that. He had 4 assists in the first 5 minutes. Reminds me of some of the recent Providence greats that could find anyone anywhere. Really glad Cooley didn't get him.

I don't remember seeing Kam and Greg together much before, but we got it at least twice tonight. It's nice to see multiple three point options on the floor.

DePaul got 20 rebounds on 42 missed shots, nearly 50%. We aren't a great rebounding team, but that's where O-Max in foul trouble really hurt.

Oso is going to be All Big East before he leaves. He has such great touch around the rim and is the best big man passer I've ever seen at Marquette. If he can add the three to his repertoire (71% FTs indicates it's possible) he immediately becomes our best pro prospect too.

I said before the game, limit David Jones, beat DePaul. He had 9 points with a 92 ORtg. Mission accomplished.

Brandon Johnson and Yor Anei for DePaul are a solid frontcourt duo. Aggressive on the glass and play tough. If Johnson could finish, they would've made it a game.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2022, 06:51:44 AM »
Big East teams don't know about Tyler Kolek, but they're learning. Our hot starts of late are due to him attacking the lane and creating out of that. He had 4 assists in the first 5 minutes. Reminds me of some of the recent Providence greats that could find anyone anywhere. Really glad Cooley didn't get him.

I don't remember seeing Kam and Greg together much before, but we got it at least twice tonight. It's nice to see multiple three point options on the floor.

DePaul got 20 rebounds on 42 missed shots, nearly 50%. We aren't a great rebounding team, but that's where O-Max in foul trouble really hurt.

Oso is going to be All Big East before he leaves. He has such great touch around the rim and is the best big man passer I've ever seen at Marquette. If he can add the three to his repertoire (71% FTs indicates it's possible) he immediately becomes our best pro prospect too.

I said before the game, limit David Jones, beat DePaul. He had 9 points with a 92 ORtg. Mission accomplished.

Brandon Johnson and Yor Anei for DePaul are a solid frontcourt duo. Aggressive on the glass and play tough. If Johnson could finish, they would've made it a game.

Good points Brew.  Our rebounding issues concern me.  I think we need to do a better job fundamentally and be far more aggressive snatching the basketball.  We lose rebounds both close to the rim and on the shots that kick long.  At some point you simply have to find a way to grab the freaking ball and protect it.  Imagine if we had a vacuum type glass cleaner?  Shaka needs to have a practice with 2 hours focused on rebounding imo.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2022, 07:33:59 AM »
I'm pretty sure Shaka knows how to run his practices Muggs.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

1SE

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2022, 07:35:45 AM »
Good points Brew.  Our rebounding issues concern me.  I think we need to do a better job fundamentally and be far more aggressive snatching the basketball.  We lose rebounds both close to the rim and on the shots that kick long.  At some point you simply have to find a way to grab the freaking ball and protect it.  Imagine if we had a vacuum type glass cleaner?  Shaka needs to have a practice with 2 hours focused on rebounding imo.

This inability to rebound is really surprising to me. Why are we so bad? Why aren't we getting better? Much more so than something like shooting, rebounding is just all about basic fundamentals - finding a man and putting a body on. Is there something about our defensive scheme that puts us out of position? It doesn't look like it to me - it looks to me like we just aren't boxing out. And that's such an easy fix.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2022, 07:38:08 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpuMWMg8DKM

@6:30 shaka talks about people suggesting they play slower

It would appear Coach Smart is not interested in hearing people criticize the pace at which his team plays.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2022, 07:42:58 AM »
It would appear Coach Smart is not interested in hearing people criticize the pace at which his team plays.

We have to play fast to get to 50, a’ina?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2022, 09:45:11 AM »
Shaka needs to have a practice with 2 hours focused on rebounding imo.

I guarantee -- a 100% money-back guarantee -- that Shaka's team practices rebounding a lot.

This inability to rebound is really surprising to me. Why are we so bad? Why aren't we getting better? Much more so than something like shooting, rebounding is just all about basic fundamentals - finding a man and putting a body on. Is there something about our defensive scheme that puts us out of position? It doesn't look like it to me - it looks to me like we just aren't boxing out. And that's such an easy fix.

I've been a little surprised by it, too. From what I've noticed, only two players consistently use good fundamentals on box-outs -- Oso and Kolek. Oso often clears out a nice little semi-circle, and it's up to another MU player to go get the rebound, but our perimeter players don't do a great job of hitting the defensive boards. I know this isn't something Shaka hasn't heard or seen or emphasized; he mentioned at least once during a cuddle last night that we need to get "all 5 to the boards."

We do a lot of switching, and quite often that leaves a small on a big or vice versa, and that could contribute. But these days most teams do a lot of switching. Gotta find a body, box him out and attack the ball.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2022, 09:53:58 AM »
I guarantee -- a 100% money-back guarantee -- that Shaka's team practices rebounding a lot.

I've been a little surprised by it, too. From what I've noticed, only two players consistently use good fundamentals on box-outs -- Oso and Kolek. Oso often clears out a nice little semi-circle, and it's up to another MU player to go get the rebound, but our perimeter players don't do a great job of hitting the defensive boards. I know this isn't something Shaka hasn't heard or seen or emphasized; he mentioned at least once during a cuddle last night that we need to get "all 5 to the boards."

We do a lot of switching, and quite often that leaves a small on a big or vice versa, and that could contribute. But these days most teams do a lot of switching. Gotta find a body, box him out and attack the ball.

Did he whisper in your ear during that cuddle?

The Shaka cuddles becoming a thing of legend
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2022, 10:21:02 AM »
Did he whisper in your ear during that cuddle?

The Shaka cuddles becoming a thing of legend

Legit LOL. That's a great autocorrect.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2022, 11:08:07 AM »

Ya....I'm with you here and find it a bit dumbfounding and perplexing.  I believe if we can improve in this area we become much more difficult to beat.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 11:10:13 AM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2022, 11:09:30 AM »

He can say whatever he wants but the fact is vs Providence we played a bit slower, more under control, and valued our possessions.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2022, 11:14:32 AM »

"Cuddle" has been a Scoop meme since the Wojo times.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2022, 11:25:24 AM »
He can say whatever he wants but the fact is vs Providence we played a bit slower, more under control, and valued our possessions.

Haha Muggsy getting strong.

Who’s got the pace numbers for GT and DePaul?

One things for sure- all pace aside this offense seems like a breath of fresh air compared to earlier in the season.

Hopefully it’s not just a pleasant side effect of playing softer teams… we will find out soon

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2022, 11:50:14 AM »

Umm ... I intentionally wrote "cuddle."

This:

"Cuddle" has been a Scoop meme since the Wojo times.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2022, 11:55:46 AM »
They are still playing fast.   Doing a better job of getting into the paint and making the extra pass.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2022, 12:26:33 PM »
Who’s got the pace numbers for GT and DePaul?

75 possessions vs. Georgetown (Breakneck speed)
70 possessions vs. DePaul (On the faster side but not excessive)

Important context about the pace we play at. We are 6th fastest in the country at average offensive possession length. We are are 311th fastest in the country at average defensive possession length. We attack quickly on the offensive end and then we make opponents go deep into their shot clock which lowers our overall possession numbers. Offense hasn't slowed down at all but they are penetrating better and learning the difference between an okay and good shot.

Georgetown and Depaul are the two worst defenses in the Big East. Providence is 6th (in the middle). Our next seven games are against the top 4 defenses and Providence on the road. If we can continue to penetrate this well against better defenses than we will be dancing
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2022, 12:28:29 PM »

Maybe it's selective memory, but I'm surprised by how often he seemed a step slow on defensive rotations. Not sure if it's quickness or awareness, as he usually seems solid with both. Agreed on the above though. He's come a long way since last year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2022, 12:32:16 PM »
75 possessions vs. Georgetown (Breakneck speed)
70 possessions vs. DePaul (On the faster side but not excessive)

Important context about the pace we play at. We are 6th fastest in the country at average offensive possession length. We are are 311th fastest in the country at average defensive possession length. We attack quickly on the offensive end and then we make opponents go deep into their shot clock which lowers our overall possession numbers. Offense hasn't slowed down at all but they are penetrating better and learning the difference between an okay and good shot.

Georgetown and Depaul are the two worst defenses in the Big East. Providence is 6th (in the middle). Our next seven games are against the top 4 defenses and Providence on the road. If we can continue to penetrate this well against better defenses than we will be dancing
One extra pass.   One less live ball turnover leading to a quick dunk.   Not playing slower.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2022, 12:42:32 PM »

One other note, while GT and DePaul are poor defensively, they are two of the three best offensive rebounding teams in the league. Here are the league ranks, nationally:

9-Connecticut
34-Georgetown
35-DePaul
70-Xavier
74-Villanova
87-St. John's
116-Creighton
128-Providence
148-Seton Hall
205-Butler
293-Marquette

So while allowing Offensive Rebounds has been bad, four of our six games are against the top-4 offensive rebounding teams in the conference.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2022, 01:09:21 PM »
Offense hasn't slowed down at all but they are penetrating better and learning the difference between an okay and good shot.

The only thing I heard in the mic'd up from Shaka where it was even close to criticizing an individual player was when he let Kam know that his heat-check 3 was a bad shot. Shaka did it very gently, but he definitely got his point across.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2022, 01:22:48 PM »
The only thing I heard in the mic'd up from Shaka where it was even close to criticizing an individual player was when he let Kam know that his heat-check 3 was a bad shot. Shaka did it very gently, but he definitely got his point across.

Loved how Shaka handled that with Kam about the heat check 3 - He said something to the effect of:  "Look, I get it, but Justin had a layup/dunk."  Because Kam had just hit two 3's in back to back possessions so no doubt was feeling it, which is why as a smart Coach you say "I get it."

However, he lit Kam up for going to the basket with "weak a$$ sh$t," earlier in the game - which I loved.
There's nothing wrong with a coach lighting up a player..AT ALL..despite the criticism of Stubbefield in the other thread.  Buzz used to do it all the time.  What matters is, is if you have the players respect...which is earned by a coach through their approach.  Shaka has it in spades. 

Ultimately BAD coaches lose a player if they light him up, IF they haven't earned that players trust/respect, etc.  However, as Ben Franklin said: "That which hurts, also instructs."  So..critical for a Coach to have a players respect to be able to coach moments that will "hurt" (feelings).

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2022, 02:03:01 PM »
The offense has been rolling since the PC game, and while that was our slowest of the year, the last 2 have not been.

What has changed the last three games, is that MU is not chucking as man quick/bad 3s in the offense.  The are taking about the same number (if not more), but generally in the flow offense, which along with the dunk-fest has greatly improved our offensive efficiency.  That said, I'm still not a fan of Lewis or Morsell launching 3s.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2022, 02:14:52 PM »
One extra pass.   One less live ball turnover leading to a quick dunk.   Not playing slower.

Average offensive possession length was 14.3 seconds in out of conference and is 16.0 in conference. That is 12% slower for the last six games.

I think the dribble penetration (read: paint touches) and the cuts in the paint have been sharper since the Creighton loss, in addition to your points.

While the pace is still fast, I think it's been much more purposeful. Thus, our three best offensive efficiency games by far. Kudos to the coaching staff.