[Today at 03:40:45 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shaka to be mic'd up vs DePaul  (Read 8897 times)

mug644

• All American
Re: Shaka to be mic'd up vs DePaul
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2022, 09:42:02 PM »
You and I agree on the message, of that I’m sure. The snippet (I hope it was only part of what Coach said) focused on the negative. Of which there were many, including probably not listening to Coach’s advice and instruction before and during this game. And he was right to be pushing them during them game.

I still think that when guys are down right after a game, you don’t kick them, especially as a leader. You encourage them. You point out how WE can improve and you say we’ve got another game coming up. You help them get over this performance to be ready for the next one.

How you say something can be as or more important than what you say.

Again, Stubblefield may have done all I refer to before or after the snippet that was shown.

All that said, I could use a new stapler. Do the folks that “work for the guy who works for the guy who works for the guy who work for you” get a hand-held or table-top stapler? That matters to me.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2022, 09:46:55 PM »
Staplers no matta, aina?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2022, 09:57:17 PM »
"We were in the game but we let it get away, and I think we all can agree we have a lot to work on. But we did some good things tonight, too. We'll build from those and clean up the other stuff, and we'll get there. We'll start getting better tomorrow at practice."

That should have been Stubblefield's entire locker-room speech. Most coaches know that the very worst time to try to make any significant points to a team is right after a game.

Several Scoopers made a good point of this whole mic'd up deal being akin to a darn good recruiting tape for Shaka Smart.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mug644

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2022, 10:05:55 PM »
"We were in the game but we let it get away, and I think we all can agree we have a lot to work on. But we did some good things tonight, too. We'll build from those and clean up the other stuff, and we'll get there. We'll start getting better tomorrow at practice."

That should have been Stubblefield's entire locker-room speech. Most coaches know that the very worst time to try to make any significant points to a team is right after a game.

Several Scoopers made a good point of this whole mic'd up deal being akin to a darn good recruiting tape for Shaka Smart.

Spot on. And would add ”you guys should talk with each about what is working and what we can do better. You can be sure that I’ll continue to harp on things and developing new ideas, but it comes down to US stepping up as a team”

I bet coaches will totally turn away from All-Access, especially if they are a losing team like DePaul.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2022, 10:22:45 PM »
Hands down, the best part of the special coverage of the game:

https://twitter.com/MarquetteRob24/status/1481089129790283784
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2022, 10:31:29 PM »

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2022, 10:40:41 PM »
You and I agree on the message, of that I’m sure. The snippet (I hope it was only part of what Coach said) focused on the negative. Of which there were many, including probably not listening to Coach’s advice and instruction before and during this game. And he was right to be pushing them during them game.

I still think that when guys are down right after a game, you don’t kick them, especially as a leader. You encourage them. You point out how WE can improve and you say we’ve got another game coming up. You help them get over this performance to be ready for the next one.

How you say something can be as or more important than what you say.

Again, Stubblefield may have done all I refer to before or after the snippet that was shown.

All that said, I could use a new stapler. Do the folks that “work for the guy who works for the guy who works for the guy who work for you” get a hand-held or table-top stapler? That matters to me.

the negative is they lost.

Just as important to how you say is when you say it. Sometimes when someone is down you point to the feeling and give just enough so that the next day in practice you can reiterate if you want to avoid that feeling in the future play defense. Earlier he said they had been there before against Nova. They lost because they didn’t play defense.  They didn’t play defense and they lost again.  He was using shooting % to reiterate his point.  The theme carried out the entire game.

He didn’t call out an individual but spoke to all.  I am sure he will call out their positives in the film room but you want the feeling to be associated with the outcome and you want them to then pay attention during practice ie what does pride in my defense mean and what wasn’t I doing.

Your deliver on a desired outcome you can pick your stapler and I would get it for you.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2022, 11:01:40 PM »
the negative is they lost.

Just as important to how you say is when you say it. Sometimes when someone is down you point to the feeling and give just enough so that the next day in practice you can reiterate if you want to avoid that feeling in the future play defense. Earlier he said they had been there before against Nova. They lost because they didn’t play defense.  They didn’t play defense and they lost again.  He was using shooting % to reiterate his point.  The theme carried out the entire game.

He didn’t call out an individual but spoke to all.  I am sure he will call out their positives in the film room but you want the feeling to be associated with the outcome and you want them to then pay attention during practice ie what does pride in my defense mean and what wasn’t I doing.

Your deliver on a desired outcome you can pick your stapler and I would get it for you.

Good points. I’m heading to bed and so will leave any final comments to you, after I note that Shaka was aware of the camera in the post-game locker room (I don’t recall his specific comment but it came just after the MU guys were dancing and he acknowledged that it was awkward). Stubblefield was not aware of the optics, or didn’t temper his message to the situation. Or, he did, which leaves a big concern about him.

Bottom line for me: Shaka did ok being mic’d. Stubblefield looked out of his league.

My desired outcome is that Marquette goes 2-0 over DePaul this season (that seems the most “related” outcome to this thread), and I would like a table top stapler. But, don’t worry, I won’t hold you to it. I’d rather the exchange ends with bedtime.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2022, 05:12:48 AM »
If you have watched DePaul over years and this year they are notorious for not playing defense and spending all of their energy on offense.

If you watch what he was saying all game he was imploring his team to play defense. At halftime he was saying they were on pace for a 100point game.  He was telling them MU was drive, layup or drive to kick out three, and he asked repeatedly to take a charge. He use those stats as a metric for lack of defense then as a sign they needed more energy on defense. I don’t think they had one all game.

In the locker room, he reiterated if you don’t want this outcome (a loss) you need to play defense. You need to be better. Until they commit to that end they will see the same result.  He was reminding his team with those stats they needed to commit to being better. He didn’t call a single player out by name.

That was the lesson.

They did take a charge early to O Max.

But just repeatedly telling people they have to play better defense isn’t really a way to get them to play better defense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2022, 08:52:10 AM »
I have no problem with what he said. It was straight up stats. He was stating all game they needed to play defense. They didnt. When a team shoots 55% from two and 45% from 3 you aren’t going to win. Their second chance points kept them in it but that faltered which is how we blew it open. He is trying to build a level of understanding for next time.

Pretty sure the kids know the stats, know they didn't defend well .. they need to know HOW to fix it, and the coach was spouting berating nonsense about defending harder.

This is the same horse hockey the FS1 announcers were saying, that Stubblefield's coach speak was somehow "building" to something.

The announcers were trying to help Stubblefield out, knowing how awful his performance was, spinning that he wasn't demoralizing, he was "building." 

Yeah, they are building to a 4-16 BE record, that's what they're building to.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2022, 08:53:50 AM »

So they're building to be better than usual?
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2022, 09:00:13 AM »
Pretty sure the kids know the stats, know they didn't defend well .. they need to know HOW to fix it, and the coach was spouting berating nonsense about defending harder.

This is the same horse hockey the FS1 announcers were saying, that Stubblefield's coach speak was somehow "building" to something.

The announcers were trying to help Stubblefield out, knowing how awful his performance was, spinning that he wasn't demoralizing, he was "building." 

Oh I don't know.  When my kid was struggling with math, I would just say to him "you gotta get better at math."  Then POOF!  All of the sudden he was!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2022, 09:01:07 AM »
So they're building to be better than usual?

No way they are going to build back better. Manchin is against it.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2022, 09:02:18 AM »
I liked Coach telling the players in one sentence about a defensive adjustment they were going to make, the players executing it, and it leading to an immediate turnover.
 The players and the coach understand each other.   And Osa is really smart and really versatile.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2022, 09:07:56 AM »
He didn’t call out an individual but spoke to all.

There actually were two occasions where Stubblefield did call out an individual.

I am not saying this is "wrong" to do, in and of itself. But both times he did it, he didn't really give the player any instruction. Just "you gotta do better" type stuff.

Just about the entire thing was a massive fail for Stubblefield, especially everything from the start of the second half on, and it can serve as an anti-DePaul recruiting tape for any coach pursuing the same prospects Stubblefield is.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2022, 09:12:33 AM »
There actually were two occasions where Stubblefield did call out an individual.

I am not saying this is "wrong" to do, in and of itself. But both times he did it, he didn't really give the player any instruction. Just "you gotta do better" type stuff.

Just about the entire thing was a massive fail for Stubblefield, especially everything from the start of the second half on, and it can serve as an anti-DePaul recruiting tape for any coach pursuing the same prospects Stubblefield is.
Yes did it in the cuddle like 3 times, he sounded like a mad old dad.
Goal is National Championship

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2022, 09:15:57 AM »
Yes did it in the cuddle like 3 times, he sounded like a mad old dad.

Isn't that a Title IX violation?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2022, 09:16:02 AM »
Are we sure he wasn't giving coded instructions when he was shouting "blue" over and over?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2022, 09:17:52 AM »
Are we sure he wasn't giving coded instructions when he was shouting "blue" over and over?

Blue plays matter?

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2022, 09:18:46 AM »
This experiment seemed like a positive outcome for Marquette--not only in how Shaka conducted himself, but how players like Kolek spoke up and showed leadership as well.

On the other side of the floor, hearing Stubblefield do little more than yell "BLUE!" didn't do much for changing the perception that DePaul is headed for another bottom seed in the Big East tournament.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2022, 09:18:52 AM »
;D
TAMU is the one who can answer that
Goal is National Championship

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2022, 10:48:35 AM »
DePaul Blue is just past tense for DePaul sucks.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2022, 10:55:14 AM »

You know we joke, but I've always wondered what would happen if my office got a report along the lines of...."I have witnessed X athletic coach touch the butts of multiple student athletes on multiple occasions. As their coach there is an inherent power differential and them touching a private body part constitutes sexual harassment". I have an idea of how it would be handled but it would make the university lawyers sweat a bit
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2022, 11:46:52 AM »

Oh I don't know.  When my kid was struggling with math, I would just say to him "you gotta get better at math."  Then POOF!  All of the sudden he was!

Shortcut:  Next time, write the word "MATH!" on a whiteboard and point to it for him.

He'll know you mean business when you write it down.  Also, the pointing to it is a crucial step some rookie coaches miss.

Bonus tip: More exclamation points.

You're welcome.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2022, 12:54:57 PM »

While I would like nothing more to conclude that we landed a winner, and DePaul's guy is nothing more than Wojo 2.0, in fairness, I think there are a few mitigating factors in this Shaka vs. Stubblefield game mic comparison:

1. My guess is that our observations about both coaches would be significantly different if the results were reversed. DePaul lost, in large measure based on the effort of the players, so their coach called them out on it. My guess is that Shaka wouldn't have sounded too much different if we lost due to our own lackluster defensive intensity or failure to execute on offense.

2. Having sat close to Bob Huggins in his heyday, Stubblefield didn't come anywhere close to the abuse that Huggins dished out to his players. I don't know if Huggy Bear has mellowed with age, but he's certainly had enough long-term success recruiting players who tend to perform at a high level to suggest that a verbally abusive courtside (or locker room) demeanor is in general a turnoff for players.

3. Taking actual game commentary out of context of what happens in practice, pre-game walkarounds, tape review, etc. doesn't give you the full context of coaching that takes place.  Stubblefield's game commentary might be limited to a "play harder" or "take a charge" while the more detailed coaching took place outside the game.

feedback