[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Darryl Morsell and Kur Kuath  (Read 7841 times)

DoctorV

• All American
Darryl Morsell and Kur Kuath
« on: January 07, 2022, 11:32:45 PM »
It’s starting to seem that those two weeks Shaka was bunkered up at the Al making calls and securing commitments from future MU commits are proving to be very fruitful.

In the first wave he secured Kam and Stevie from Wojo, EE, David Joplin, and Keeyan Itejere over from Texas, and brought in Tyler Kolek and OMax as transfers. He also likely knew he has Oso and JLew coming back. Somewhere along the way Greg decided to return and that’s also a huge help.

Then Shaka decided to compliment that young crop with Kur Kuath and eventually Darryl Morsell.

Talk about having a true vision and knowing how you want it to play out. You look at that list of youngsters and returning guys and the last thing you think of is ferocious defense.

That’s also the first thing that Shaka thinks of. Insert Kur and Darryl.
The word of choice is culture. Shaka spearheads this culture but Kur and Darryl provide the blueprint and day to day evidence of how important it is to success.

Those two guys do way more for this team, not only this season but for seasons to come, than will ever show up in a box score. Tenacity, passion, buying into a defensive commitment and resolve- these are things that coach Smart needed every single one of that young crop of commits to learn.

He knew he couldn’t teach it on his own, he needed help. He brought in Kur and Darryl to do just that, and it was as brilliant of a coaching decision as he’s made so far at Marquette.

So that’s the culture, but don’t sleep on the immediate and tangible importance to this season. There is still a lot of season to play and I’m certain some won’t agree with me, but if this team is to make the NCAA tournament and win a game or two, for the first time in a long time, it will have a lot to do with Kur and Darryl.

Senior leadership rises to the top as the plot thickens, and it can be the difference when all is said and done.
Omax might have a great game here and there, so might Kam, Stevie, Oso, Jop, etc. TyKo is a bit different because he’s becoming pretty essential to overall success, so he better have a lot of good games. JLew is obviously a must.

I think Kur needs to continue to be an enforcer. I love his 11 boards tonight, absolutely want more of that from him. He’s not typically a beast on the boards but I think the staff should challenge him to take the next level here as his career winds down. He’s been a monster with interior defense, the blocks speak for themselves, and he’s 6/6 in his last two games.

Darryl is imo one of, if not the most important part of this team in the second half of the season. This will likely draw some head scratches as well, but it seems to me that this MU team is coming together just right for a guy like Morsell to make the ultimate difference in the overall success of the season. I mean that moreso from a casual fans perspective of making the dance and possibly making some noise.

We all know he’s tapered off massively on offense. He started the season looking like he was a new man and has since regressed to equilibrium, all Marquettes do reach equilibrium after all.

That said, we know he has the offense in him when he’s in a right state of mind and a comfort groove.
Like Kur, I’d like to see the staff challenge him to crashing the boards harder- I actually think that will get him more engaged and improve his overall game even more. If Darryl can get back to becoming a bigger overall force in the next two months this team will make a lot more of an impact.
He has the experience, he has the ability, he has the drive.

When things get difficult this team will need the defense, culture, and senior leadership of Kur and Darryl to carry it over the top. We should all be glad they are at Marquette, and hope that they can make it happen.

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
Re: Darryl Morsell and Kur Kuath
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 06:59:07 AM »
Great post. Agree with every word. This team probably doesn’t develop the relentlessness we’ve seen in all the comebacks and the recent defense without those two senior leaders.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 08:16:34 AM »
It’s starting to seem that those two weeks Shaka was bunkered up at the Al making calls and securing commitments from future MU commits are proving to be very fruitful.

In the first wave he secured Kam and Stevie from Wojo, EE, David Joplin, and Keeyan Itejere over from Texas, and brought in Tyler Kolek and OMax as transfers. He also likely knew he has Oso and JLew coming back. Somewhere along the way Greg decided to return and that’s also a huge help.

Then Shaka decided to compliment that young crop with Kur Kuath and eventually Darryl Morsell.

Talk about having a true vision and knowing how you want it to play out. You look at that list of youngsters and returning guys and the last thing you think of is ferocious defense.

That’s also the first thing that Shaka thinks of. Insert Kur and Darryl.
The word of choice is culture. Shaka spearheads this culture but Kur and Darryl provide the blueprint and day to day evidence of how important it is to success.

Those two guys do way more for this team, not only this season but for seasons to come, than will ever show up in a box score. Tenacity, passion, buying into a defensive commitment and resolve- these are things that coach Smart needed every single one of that young crop of commits to learn.

He knew he couldn’t teach it on his own, he needed help. He brought in Kur and Darryl to do just that, and it was as brilliant of a coaching decision as he’s made so far at Marquette.

So that’s the culture, but don’t sleep on the immediate and tangible importance to this season. There is still a lot of season to play and I’m certain some won’t agree with me, but if this team is to make the NCAA tournament and win a game or two, for the first time in a long time, it will have a lot to do with Kur and Darryl.

Senior leadership rises to the top as the plot thickens, and it can be the difference when all is said and done.
Omax might have a great game here and there, so might Kam, Stevie, Oso, Jop, etc. TyKo is a bit different because he’s becoming pretty essential to overall success, so he better have a lot of good games. JLew is obviously a must.

I think Kur needs to continue to be an enforcer. I love his 11 boards tonight, absolutely want more of that from him. He’s not typically a beast on the boards but I think the staff should challenge him to take the next level here as his career winds down. He’s been a monster with interior defense, the blocks speak for themselves, and he’s 6/6 in his last two games.

Darryl is imo one of, if not the most important part of this team in the second half of the season. This will likely draw some head scratches as well, but it seems to me that this MU team is coming together just right for a guy like Morsell to make the ultimate difference in the overall success of the season. I mean that moreso from a casual fans perspective of making the dance and possibly making some noise.

We all know he’s tapered off massively on offense. He started the season looking like he was a new man and has since regressed to equilibrium, all Marquettes do reach equilibrium after all.

That said, we know he has the offense in him when he’s in a right state of mind and a comfort groove.
Like Kur, I’d like to see the staff challenge him to crashing the boards harder- I actually think that will get him more engaged and improve his overall game even more. If Darryl can get back to becoming a bigger overall force in the next two months this team will make a lot more of an impact.
He has the experience, he has the ability, he has the drive.

When things get difficult this team will need the defense, culture, and senior leadership of Kur and Darryl to carry it over the top. We should all be glad they are at Marquette, and hope that they can make it happen.

Yeah, Shaka knows howta run a program. Quite refreshin' after 7 years of Numb Nuts, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 08:51:27 AM »
I said it back in November at the Illinois game that every guy on this team will be remembered and talked for years for being part of the rebirth of Marquette basketball. Regardless if it is a one-year guy or a six year guy, every member of this team is part of building the foundation for long term success. Shaka is rebuilding a program and every one of the guys on this team are going to be remembered fondly by anyone that watches the program closely.

From the first game of the season until last night one thing has jumped out to me, we might not five star recruits, but there is never a time when Shaka puts in a new player in do I say what the hell is he doing? Shaka put together in short order a group of guys that can compete with almost any team in the country and definitely every team in the BE. Truth to be told, I hope everyone that can stay beyond this year ends up staying, even sharp shooting GE.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 08:53:12 AM »
I said it back in November at the Illinois game that every guy on this team will be remembered and talked for years for being part of the rebirth of Marquette basketball. Regardless if it is a one-year guy or a six year guy, every member of this team is part of building the foundation for long term success. Shaka is rebuilding a program and every one of the guys on this team are going to be remembered fondly by anyone that watches the program closely.

From the first game of the season until last night one thing has jumped out to me, we might not five star recruits, but there is never a time when Shaka puts in a new player in do I say what the hell is he doing? Shaka put together in short order a group of guys that can compete with almost any team in the country and definitely every team in the BE. Truth to be told, I hope everyone that can stay beyond this year ends up staying, even sharp shooting GE.

It would be nice if this is Shaka’s “Unforgettables”
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 08:59:24 AM »
Rico

I made that comparison back in November. They likely will not have that success, but I believe will have a big part in Marquette basketball history. I know many to do not like Pitino, but he and Shaka relate to the players better than almost anyone. Al had that skill in spades, Buzz had it and Shaka has it. If you have a group that buys into a system, good things can happen. That was belief from day one of the Shaka era and why he does not get a five year window from me.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 09:06:13 AM »
Rico

I made that comparison back in November. They likely will not have that success, but I believe will have a big part in Marquette basketball history. I know many to do not like Pitino, but he and Shaka relate to the players better than almost anyone. Al had that skill in spades, Buzz had it and Shaka has it. If you have a group that buys into a system, good things can happen. That was belief from day one of the Shaka era and why he does not get a five year window from me.

The players that lay the groundwork are the ones that allow the greatness from those that follow.  Jay Wright and Nova and are another good example, I think, too.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 09:11:23 AM »
I remember at the open practice watching Morsell go over screens on defense. He still wasn't 100%, but his technique and ability to go over a screen rather than under (which we always did under Wojo) was apparent. Guys like Ellis and Kolek struggled to do the same.

Last night, I noticed Kolek going strongly over screens on the defensive end. It reminded me of Morsell at that practice. This team is improving as we go along and I've no doubt the senior leadership is helping that.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 01:58:12 PM »

I wanted Shaka to focus on mentality, personality, and system fit over chasing 5 stars. That's what leads to synergy on the court, the sum becoming significantly greater than its parts. If 5 stars happen to pass that mentality/personality/fit screen, obviously great! If not, no need to bother wasting a second on them.

This crew all easily pass through that filter and it's starting to pay dividends. I hope Shaka stays true to those principles! It will take him and us far.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 04:45:15 PM »
I wanted Shaka to focus on mentality, personality, and system fit over chasing 5 stars. That's what leads to synergy on the court, the sum becoming significantly greater than its parts. If 5 stars happen to pass that mentality/personality/fit screen, obviously great! If not, no need to bother wasting a second on them.

This crew all easily pass through that filter and it's starting to pay dividends. I hope Shaka stays true to those principles! It will take him and us far.
As Tower noted early in the Wojo years, he didn't have this ability, and in fact I would argue his teams were less than the sum of the parts. He recruited plenty of talent to work with and somehow managed to underperform expectations.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 05:04:43 PM »
I was pretty excited with those last two wins.
But I guess losing 5 out of last 6 will do it to you.
Not quite ready to make a bronze statue of Shaka and place it next to Al's.
All we need to do is look at Shaka's Texas record for a dose of reality.
I don't think Shaka is a clunker, and nothing wrong with drinking some Kool-Aid now and then.
As much as we like to put a target on Wojo, Lewis, Oso, Greg, Cam and Stevie were his.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 05:09:33 PM »
I was pretty excited with those last two wins.
But I guess losing 5 out of last 6 will do it to you.
Not quite ready to make a bronze statue of Shaka and place it next to Al's.
All we need to do is look at Shaka's Texas record for a dose of reality.
I don't think Shaka is a clunker, and nothing wrong with drinking some Kool-Aid now and then.
As much as we like to put a target on Wojo, Lewis, Oso, Greg, Cam and Stevie were his.

Wojo could recruit talent and found some hidden gems but retention and roster construction was an issue through his tenure.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 05:23:37 PM »
Wojo could recruit talent and found some hidden gems but retention and roster construction was an issue through his tenure.

wojo had 8 scholarship players his first year coaching haha

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 05:52:44 PM »
True, but Buzz was in "Get of out Dodge" mode and left the cupboard bare and you were bringing in an Assistant coach that was not poaching from his previous team.  Would Shaka have done better with old transfer rules and only 4 traditional years of playing?
Let's face it, giving everyone a do over year was sweet along with transfer anywhere you want without having to sit out a year.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2022, 06:04:25 PM »
Also Wojo didn’t “bring” a couple recruits here like Shaka did. Hiring a sitting head coach helped in that regard.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2022, 07:56:42 PM »
True, but Buzz was in "Get of out Dodge" mode and left the cupboard bare and you were bringing in an Assistant coach that was not poaching from his previous team.  Would Shaka have done better with old transfer rules and only 4 traditional years of playing?
Let's face it, giving everyone a do over year was sweet along with transfer anywhere you want without having to sit out a year.

100% fiction.  Wojo couldn't coach. Period.  He was clueless.  Year 1 illustrated that to me real fast given what he did inherit.  7 Top 100 kids, perhaps more on one roster than at any other time since the era of Al. 

The cupboard bare excuse was used here for a long time to try to justify Wojo's lack of coaching acumen. 

Shaka runs circles around Wojo in every metric you have for a head coach:

In game coaching
Strategy/Vision
Buy in/respect from players
Roster management/composition
Charisma
Intellect
Recruiting
Intangibles

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2022, 08:17:04 PM »
Sigh, it's been proven to not be false. But yes Shaka can coach circles around Wojo. You don't need to make things up to add to that argument. And that's all I'm going to say on this subject since it's been litigated hundreds of times at this point.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2022, 08:32:11 PM »
100% fiction.  Wojo couldn't coach. Period.  He was clueless.  Year 1 illustrated that to me real fast given what he did inherit.  7 Top 100 kids, perhaps more on one roster than at any other time since the era of Al. 

The cupboard bare excuse was used here for a long time to try to justify Wojo's lack of coaching acumen. 

Shaka runs circles around Wojo in every metric you have for a head coach:

In game coaching
Strategy/Vision
Buy in/respect from players
Roster management/composition
Charisma
Intellect
Recruiting
Intangibles
One thing they are equal to:
Getting fired from their last job!   ;D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2022, 10:54:15 PM »
Always fun when the ol' "Cupboard - bare or not?" argument can be stirred up again.

If only Shaka had Magic Dawson, we'd be undefeated!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2022, 11:23:46 PM »
Sigh, it's been proven to not be false. But yes Shaka can coach circles around Wojo. You don't need to make things up to add to that argument. And that's all I'm going to say on this subject since it's been litigated hundreds of times at this point.

Sigh, it's disappointing to see you actually trying to hang on to that complete bogus.  Projos here could do all of the mental gymnastics they wanted to try to suggest Wojo walked into a bare cupboard but that doesn't change the fact that he didn't.

There's a reason why my early prediction of Wojo not having it as a head coach 10 games into his career at MU proved to be correct.  Seeing how he coached the good talent he inherited showed me all I needed to see.  You can have the last word, but you'll still be wrong on this one. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2022, 11:38:12 PM »
There's a reason why my early prediction of Wojo not having it as a head coach 10 games into his career at MU proved to be correct.

Don't make the mistake of confusing vision with a lack of patience. It's a mistake many make.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2022, 11:40:30 PM »
We're playing better defense this year than we have since we made the elite 8. All we need to do now is double oso's usage rate and start chanting automatic again.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2022, 06:19:29 AM »
Sigh, it's disappointing to see you actually trying to hang on to that complete bogus.

It's disappointing to see you still inciting the same arguments from 7 years ago that no one cares about anymore. If you're ever curious why you keep getting banned, stuff like this is it. Effing let it go, man.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2022, 06:59:20 AM »
I wanted to believe the talent Wojo pulled in would all come together, it just never did.

If Shaka recruits a bunch of guys outside the top 100, but we are consistently top 5 in BE, I think I rather have that. Which is to say, I think Shaka can just coach better.

Maybe wojo can comeback as a special assistant for recruiting!

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2022, 07:16:35 AM »
Shaka is the new coach.  Wojo is the former.
Wishing the new coach and team all the success in the world.
Good chance we can even our Big East record Tuesday.

feedback