'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: O-Max  (Read 5842 times)

Elonsmusk

• All American
O-Max
« on: January 07, 2022, 10:21:03 PM »
Might be the best pro prospect on the roster.  Love his motor.  Great defender.  Long.  Handles the ball well.  2 more years of strength and conditioning for him and he, along with Oso will be forces.  Justin of course is highly regarded among scouts, yet think from a ceiling perspective, O-Max's ceiling might be a bit higher.

The future is bright.  Some Scoopers owe O-Max and Tyler Kolek an apology - both have tremendous upside.   8-)  Steve Lavin, though prone to hyperbole, referenced Kolek reminding him of a young Steve Nash.  Tyler sure does see the floor well, keep his dribble alive, and make the game easier for his teammates.

DoctorV

• All American
Re: O-Max
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 10:27:48 PM »
Sorry OMP and sorry Tyler- I was just hoping you both read scoop and needed the extra fire.

In that breath, let’s just hold the horses on OMax until he gets at least 3-4 elite games under his belt.

The answer is Justin here.

I will say though that if OMax is legit, then three things hold true
1- Shaka is an amazing talent evaluator
2- MUs immediate and long term future are in a much better place.
3- Canada rejoice

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 10:38:01 PM »
I for one was questioning his ability to score, as he was to intimidated or scared to put the ball up on the pick and roll. He was not tentative tonight or last game.  As somebody who played point, you have the ball in your hands more than any player on the court, you have to take advantage of openings on the court and be fearless going to the hoop, love what I saw tonight, a bunch of layups.  It also gives you confidence to hit outside shots as well, well done.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 10:55:57 PM »
He’s got a high ceiling, I hope he can get close to it during his time at MU

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 10:59:50 PM »
I for one was questioning his ability to score, as he was to intimidated or scared to put the ball up on the pick and roll. He was not tentative tonight or last game.  As somebody who played point, you have the ball in your hands more than any player on the court, you have to take advantage of openings on the court and be fearless going to the hoop, love what I saw tonight, a bunch of layups.  It also gives you confidence to hit outside shots as well, well done.

Or against UConn or Creighton.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 11:36:58 PM »
OMP is the one player on the roster who I think has the potential to do an over the summer “holy hell, what happened” leap like Jimmy Butler did. Especially given his connection with the Canada basketball program and the experience he gets there

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 02:20:38 AM »
Omax is just scratching the surface of his potential. Truthfully, anyone that was down on him three weeks is either a negative person or has no understanding of the sport. The kid has a very bright future at MU and the next level.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 02:39:36 AM »
Omax is just scratching the surface of his potential. Truthfully, anyone that was down on him three weeks is either a negative person or has no understanding of the sport. The kid has a very bright future at MU and the next level.

The raw talent and the drive was there. Now he is starting to slow down his game a bit before he understands better when to up and down shift. Pretty much perfect today.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 03:59:52 AM »
I was one of the folks that wasn't so impressed by O-Max a few games ago. Compared him to Trend Blackledge. I stand by that opinion at that time.

But, gladly, things have dramatically changed. That proverbial "the game has slowed down" for him has happened. And, the overall offense has gotten better, creating more space for him to attack without being crowded and losing his handle. The extra passing that is happening helps him (and others). His energy on defense has turned into confidence on offense.

Wonderful to see, and I hope it continues. Go O!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 05:34:46 AM »
I actually think Ellis has the best pro chances. I like his size and quickness. He needs strength and playing time.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 06:11:59 AM »
I think it’s time to sit back and enjoy this team getting better as the season goes along and quit gnashing our teeth about the “lack of talent” theme that started before people even saw this team play.

There is plenty of talent and Shaka is a good coach.  There will be clunkers ahead but there will also be outstanding moments and enough of them to make the tournament.  Go MU!  Enjoy the ride!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 06:22:51 AM »
Hope he continues to Prosper here and Obviously Max out his potential
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 06:43:27 AM »
I put Juan and Jamil in a blender.   A long, athletic forward with a motor like Juan's.   Of course there is going to be a learning curve and bad games.   He will be fine.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 06:44:52 AM »
I put Juan and Jamil in a blender.   A long, athletic forward with a motor like Juan's.   Of course there is going to be a learning curve and bad games.   He will be fine.

Most potential to not hit their peak at Marquette ever to be put in a blender
Maigh Eo for Sam

panda

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2022, 06:53:01 AM »
Most potential to not hit their peak at Marquette ever to be put in a blender

What type of blender ? Kitchen aid? Ninja?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2022, 07:38:26 AM »
O-MAX appears to be a real X factor for us. I think he's slowing down a bit and letting the game come to him more.  He's certainly a terrific athlete with the ability to be a prime-time switchable.

I know it's beyond fixing but the Warriors at worst should be 3-2 in the BEast and more likely 4-1.  However, to bounce back with two resounding wins is a huge positive.  I would still like to see more FTA's, offensive rebs, and fewer turns.  In the short-term let's take care of business vs DePaul and especially The Hall. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2022, 07:48:45 AM »
The raw talent and the drive was there. Now he is starting to slow down his game a bit before he understands better when to up and down shift. Pretty much perfect today.
Agreed...much more controlled and deliberate as he goes to the hoop.  When he gets a little more comfortable he'll go harder/faster...and if his 3 ball clicks he's going to be a force.  Those that attended the scrimmages/practices saw what he could bring.  How great to watch so many different players develop throughout the season...hats off to our players and coaches. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2022, 07:53:45 AM »
Liked OMAX from the start, he really isn't afraid to get physical under the basket. Also, he has taken advantage that teams have decided to go all in on stopping Justin. Credit to him and to the team on the offensive side, they have stepped up.
Goal is National Championship

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2022, 08:04:32 AM »
O-MAX appears to be a real X factor for us. I think he's slowing down a bit and letting the game come to him more.  He's certainly a terrific athlete with the ability to be a prime-time switchable.

I know it's beyond fixing but the Warriors at worst should be 3-2 in the BEast and more likely 4-1.  However, to bounce back with two resounding wins is a huge positive.  I would still like to see more FTA's, offensive rebs, and fewer turns.  In the short-term let's take care of business vs DePaul and especially The Hall.

Agree! I’m trying so hard to push the Creighton loss out of my head. But as a fan (players and coaches have moved on to the next game) it’s hard to let it go. I think everyone on this board would be anointing Shaka as the “second coming” if we were 4-1 in the BEAST. The crazy part is just how close we were to making that happen

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2022, 09:06:39 AM »
Agree! I’m trying so hard to push the Creighton loss out of my head. But as a fan (players and coaches have moved on to the next game) it’s hard to let it go. I think everyone on this board would be anointing Shaka as the “second coming” if we were 4-1 in the BEAST. The crazy part is just how close we were to making that happen

We're for sure a foul away from being .500, the missed dunk by Kur at least would've made another game much more of a photo finish but who knows how it plays out
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2022, 09:08:28 AM »
We're for sure a foul away from being .500, the missed dunk by Kur at least would've made another game much more of a photo finish but who knows how it plays out

It takes some teams awhile to learn how to close and win, regardless of age.  This Marquette team lacks a lot of experience and also lacks experience playing as a team but we are starting to see them come together as a unit.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2022, 09:14:01 AM »

Let it go. We could have won that Creighton game -- or lost it -- a bazillion times before the end of the first OT.

Saying we "should be" 4-1 is silly. I mean, "should" we have lost the Illinois and K-State games?

Just enjoy this team and the process, which looks to be ahead of schedule. We'll have more great wins and we'll have some losses that will frustrate you.

That's sports!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2022, 09:21:05 AM »

I always account for two "dud games" vs teams we should beat.  It just hurts that the Creighton game was at Fiserv and it reduces our margin for error.  But I am feeling more confident that this team can play closer to we did vs Providence the rest of the year at home.  Let's dismantle the bottom of our league for starters and then put together strong games vs the upper tier of the league.  We have seen that MU is capable of inflicting damage with a balanced arsenal on both ends of the floor and can beat every team in the conference.

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2022, 09:26:10 AM »
Hope he continues to Prosper here and Obviously Max out his potential

Nice. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2022, 09:44:01 AM »
The future is bright.  Some Scoopers owe O-Max and Tyler Kolek an apology - both have tremendous upside.

I disagree on O-Max. He's showing out now, but the staff has basically seen the same things fans on Twitter and Scoop have seen. He was bad early on and his minutes got justifiably cut. The staff saw the problem and addressed it with fewer minutes. He has played better of late and his minutes have increased. The staff saw the improvement and addressed it with more minutes.

Saying O-Max was bad early on and is playing better now is simply accurate. And looking at his minute totals, the staff saw the exact same thing.

Kolek is different because even when he isn't at his best, the rest of the offense is clearly better with him than without.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2022, 09:45:23 AM »
I disagree on O-Max. He's showing out now, but the staff has basically seen the same things fans on Twitter and Scoop have seen. He was bad early on and his minutes got justifiably cut. The staff saw the problem and addressed it with fewer minutes. He has played better of late and his minutes have increased. The staff saw the improvement and addressed it with more minutes.

Saying O-Max was bad early on and is playing better now is simply accurate. And looking at his minute totals, the staff saw the exact same thing.

Kolek is different because even when he isn't at his best, the rest of the offense is clearly better with him than without.

Please leave nuance at the door on scoop
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2022, 09:56:32 AM »
Please leave nuance at the door on scoop

Probably the correct take, but to elaborate on this (borrowed from Andrei of Paint Touches) Marquette was 6.3 points per 100 possessions worse on offense with O-Max on the floor in November and December. He was not playing well on offense and everyone, staff and fan alike, saw it. In January, Marquette's 17.3 points per 100 better with O-Max on the floor. He's playing well and everyone sees it.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2022, 09:57:08 AM »

The issue with Omax is that some people literally said things like “I have no idea what anyone sees in Omax” or “can’t see why Shaka gave him a scholarship”

Did he basically suck for most of the early season? Yes. Did anyone with two eyes notices that? Yes. But anyone that couldn’t blatantly see his potential at the same time….was insane. And there were lots of those.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

panda

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2022, 09:58:40 AM »
Probably the correct take, but to elaborate on this (borrowed from Andrei of Paint Touches) Marquette was 6.3 points per 100 possessions worse on offense with O-Max on the floor in November and December. He was not playing well on offense and everyone, staff and fan alike, saw it. In January, Marquette's 17.3 points per 100 better with O-Max on the floor. He's playing well and everyone sees it.

Yep - it’s the correct take to say he wasn’t good enough to be on the floor early on and earned his way back. Morsell/Elliott/Jones being out gave him an opportunity and he took full advantage.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2022, 09:59:48 AM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2022, 10:07:14 AM »
The issue with Omax is that some people literally said things like “I have no idea what anyone sees in Omax” or “can’t see why Shaka gave him a scholarship”

Did he basically suck for most of the early season? Yes. Did anyone with two eyes notices that? Yes. But anyone that couldn’t blatantly see his potential at the same time….was insane. And there were lots of those.

Scoop is definitely given to overreaction and hyperbole. I was never in that camp, mainly because I saw him in October and thought he was the best player on the floor, so I suspected there was ability there. Also because he's always been a very good defender.

That said, given some of the missed bunnies, poor shot selection, and hands of stone he displayed, I can understand fan frustration. Just the nature of Scoop.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2022, 10:14:18 AM »
The only time I tend to overreact about players is when it is obvious they just do not have it. Omax was running wild and missing bunnies left and right, but he created the bunnies. It was like when everyone was down on Carlino early on, you did not need to be Coach K to know he was a basketball player and sooner than later it would come together. Omax is a freak IMO, his size and speed is at a very high level.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2022, 10:23:22 AM »

Those people only watched him on one end of the floor.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2022, 11:25:47 AM »
It takes some teams awhile to learn how to close and win, regardless of age.  This Marquette team lacks a lot of experience and also lacks experience playing as a team but we are starting to see them come together as a unit.

The team did what they needed to do to win.

The coach lost that game by not fouling.

It's possible that one awful coaching decision ends up costing MU an NCAA bid.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2022, 11:27:23 AM »
Quote from: NolongerWarriors link=topic= ;D62741.msg1403833#msg1403833 date=1641662747

;D

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2022, 11:33:23 AM »

Yeah, they eked out the win by only 28 points.    And the game before that by only 32.  Scoring more than the other team is what's needed to do so I suppose you're right though....
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2022, 11:35:44 AM »

🤡🤡🤡
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2022, 11:36:37 AM »

Dynamite drop, Monty

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2022, 11:41:58 AM »
Way to know your role NLW.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2022, 11:52:06 AM »
Yeah, they eked out the win by only 28 points.    And the game before that by only 32.  Scoring more than the other team is what's needed to do so I suppose you're right though....
Georgetown is not a great team to start with. Taking into account that they had covid, missed 18 days of practice and their team captain was out for the game they were ripe to get beat bad by anyone they played.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2022, 11:52:53 AM »
Georgetown is not a great team to start with. Taking into account that they had covid, missed 18 days of practice and their team captain was out for the game they were ripe to get beat bad by anyone they played.

Quite true but we’ve seen too many recent versions of Marquette spit the bit in these kind of games

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2022, 01:30:45 PM »

This. Sad to see adults calling 18-22-year-old athletes who are working hard and are team players "garbage" and "useless."

"It's just Scoop" isn't very good defense.

And speaking of useless garbage ...

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2022, 01:40:30 PM »
Quite true but we’ve seen too many recent versions of Marquette spit the bit in these kind of games

Yes exactly. Gotta keep the train rolling against DePaul on Tuesday, they're an up and coming program with the new regime but they've skidded a bit of late, can't let them get some mo' back

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2022, 02:09:41 PM »

All of this,  100%
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2022, 02:19:16 PM »

Yes, O-Max struggled early but it was evident he had a lot of talent, tools, potential, and we had some posters here questioning Shaka as to why he recruited him, he's not worth a scholarship, etc.  Pretty brutal stuff.  Same with Kolek..some here were suggesting he wasn't a high major caliber guard etc.  It was evident he had a lot of talent, despite struggling with his shooting.

Of course this is a fan site and we all offer opinions, and some will be wrong.  But to attack kids less than 10 games into their Marquette career was pretty bush league and we are better than that. 

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2022, 02:55:40 PM »
Nice turd of a post.  I guess what else can you cling to when you are so biased you can not admit improvements across almost every player as the season progresses.

This team has talent. This team will
add more talent. This team has good coaching, they will play a fun style of basketball.

Maybe go pick another team to follow.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2022, 03:16:16 PM »
Point and I on the same side.   Woot.   NLW is a troll. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2022, 04:41:20 PM »
Point and I on the same side.   Woot.   NLW is a troll.
Nah, trolls post just to get others riled up. NLW is just a cowardly hater.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2022, 05:05:59 PM »
Nah, trolls post just to get others riled up. NLW is just a cowardly hater.

He’s posted here before. It’s very on brand.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow