[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cooley & Company SOTG  (Read 4518 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Cooley & Company SOTG
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2022, 06:46:54 AM »
If you have to pick one guy I would actually slot Lewis 4th.  Kur's defense was the biggest overall factor in the game.  Kolek controlled the game offensively and Jones stepped on their throats and essentially ended all their hopes.  Everyone played pretty damn well but I  vehemently disagree that Lewis was the SOTG.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2022, 06:48:39 AM »
Our Kuath.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2022, 07:11:13 AM »
I give it to Big Jus (no New Hampshire). Besides the big numbers, I thought he was the tone setter early on in this one. Physical, was going to get to the rim. He was focused on that and executed, allowing us to start off strong - a rare start for us this season.

Many honorable mentions in this one. Only bad thing about Justin is he doesn’t know we have a game on Friday.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GurneeHitchkr

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2022, 07:16:49 AM »
Kuath

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2022, 07:33:01 AM »
Lewis. His dunk set the tone and they never looked back.

This is exactly what I was going to say. As you said, that dunk set the tone and, along with an aggressive layup on the following possession, showed that JLew and Marquette weren't interested in just settling for three pointers. I loved Butch's comment after that dunk, "When he doesn't settle, you can't stop him. He's got to attack the basket more because he can do stuff like that." And moments later as they went to commercial, "Justin has attacked the basket tonight, and when you attack the basket good things happen."

JLew was the Stud of the Game last night.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2022, 07:47:07 AM »
Definitely a game that was more of a “team win”.

But idk how the one man choice can be anyone other than Lewis.

He started with 2 shots that were similar to his Creighton debacle. Then the dunk came and he was a man. Set the tone and put up numbers.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2022, 08:18:14 AM »
If you have to pick one guy I would actually slot Lewis 4th.  Kur's defense was the biggest overall factor in the game.  Kolek controlled the game offensively and Jones stepped on their throats and essentially ended all their hopes.  Everyone played pretty damn well but I vehemently disagree that Lewis was the SOTG.

Muggsy, how do you reconcile Lewis' performance/stats with your statements? I get you and others picking Kur but please explain!

I'm picking Lewis as SOTG.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2022, 08:20:43 AM »
JLew

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2022, 08:30:58 AM »
If you have to pick one guy I would actually slot Lewis 4th.  Kur's defense was the biggest overall factor in the game.  Kolek controlled the game offensively and Jones stepped on their throats and essentially ended all their hopes.  Everyone played pretty damn well but I  vehemently disagree that Lewis was the SOTG.

The guy who lead the team in minutes, points and rebounds is fourth?  OK...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2022, 08:34:32 AM »
Ellis
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2022, 08:35:40 AM »
Justin

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2022, 08:53:33 AM »
Muggsy, how do you reconcile Lewis' performance/stats with your statements? I get you and others picking Kur but please explain!

I'm picking Lewis as SOTG.

I think his emphatic, sledgehammer dunk was a momentum changer.  And he was excellent from that point forward.  My expectations for our best player are higher than the other guys.  I also think Kolek carving up their defense (like the captain did my yellowtail yesterday)was the key to why we were so good offensively. 

I would also say that if Kolek, Kam, and Kuath play like they did yesterday we are quite dangerous.  Lewis putting up big scoring numbers isn't as important imo.  We are capable of a balanced, bucket,  barrage combined with Kur controlling the defensive paint. 

I don't think any scooper anticipated that we could put up 88 pts and thoroughly dominate like we did last night.  But Kur so demoralized Providence that I would just give him the nod.  The Friars appeared shell-shocked, hesitant, and psychologically damaged as the Sudanese Swatter owned shot, after, shot, after shot. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2022, 09:01:48 AM »
I'm going with Kur because of his absolute defensive dominance at the rim. We won this game with defense and it was Kuath's 7 blocks that were the best example of that.

Honorable mention to Justin and a fantastic line as well as Kolek on both ends of the floor (funny that PC fans thought beforehand they were going to exploit TKO on defense, he's such a good defender) but Kuath was the man for me.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2022, 09:59:32 AM »
I think his emphatic, sledgehammer dunk was a momentum changer.  And he was excellent from that point forward.  My expectations for our best player are higher than the other guys.  I also think Kolek carving up their defense (like the captain did my yellowtail yesterday)was the key to why we were so good offensively. 

I would also say that if Kolek, Kam, and Kuath play like they did yesterday we are quite dangerous.  Lewis putting up big scoring numbers isn't as important imo.  We are capable of a balanced, bucket,  barrage combined with Kur controlling the defensive paint. 

I don't think any scooper anticipated that we could put up 88 pts and thoroughly dominate like we did last night.  But Kur so demoralized Providence that I would just give him the nod.  The Friars appeared shell-shocked, hesitant, and psychologically damaged as the Sudanese Swatter owned shot, after, shot, after shot.

I disagree.  I don't think expectations should impact who gets the nod for SOTG. Lewis had his best performance of the year, and possibly career against a 13-1 16th ranked team. It was just a great sign that enough of the team was able to match his output to get the victory. Very nice to see Kur defend the paint the way he did. Kolek continues to distribute and also continues to be a complete non-factor as a scorer. Jones and Oso are potential stars in the future with their quick progression.

Phuket MU Fan

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2022, 10:02:45 AM »
1. KK
2. JL

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2022, 10:22:05 AM »
Lewis. Dunk sparked a run and kept the energy high. Then a double-double on top of that.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2022, 10:37:48 AM »
Kur.
After PC made its first-half run and closed the lead to four, MU went on a 15-0 run in which Kur had two points, two boards, an assist and five (!) blocks.

This is very much a point in favor of KK.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2022, 10:51:47 AM »
OMax was mvp of the first 5 minutes. Set the tempo and imposed our will (a quick 7 pts, IIRC)

KK was the stalwart in the mid part of the game (holy hell, block city)

Kam was bucket getting again and sorely missed last game.

Lewis was the consistent. He was a lot more in control, his energy was HIGH, and he played with a quiet confidence with only a few blips of meh. But even though he was the biggest point getter, he also got "lost in the team" and made some really great passes and looked for something other than his own shot. I'm going with consistency on this one--JL for SOTG.

KK for Honorable Mention.

Oso and JLew tied for the "Flamin' Hot Cheetos Spicy Dunk Award" (1h dunk by Justin, Oso's BIG dunk in the lane in the 2H)
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2022, 11:00:18 AM »
JLew.  And his hair. 

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2022, 11:03:23 AM »

Oso and JLew tied for the "Flamin' Hot Cheetos Spicy Dunk Award" (1h dunk by Justin, Oso's BIG dunk in the lane in the 2H)

This needs to be a thing, and they throw bags into the crowd after awesome dunks. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2022, 11:09:24 AM »
This needs to be a thing, and they throw bags into the crowd after awesome dunks.

This would have made my "broke student at the game" experience even better back in the day.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2022, 12:56:26 PM »

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2022, 10:12:17 AM »
Lewis.  Consistently aggressive and in control of his game.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2022, 10:56:02 AM »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2022, 11:02:23 AM »
Oh yeah.  I think I forgot how to access that part of the site.  It's been nearly a month.