[Today at 10:25:48 AM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by Pakuni
[Today at 09:16:28 AM]

[Paint Touches] Shaka reaffirms MU commitment by willie warrior
[Today at 03:37:16 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Must Win Tonight v. PC to Salvage Season  (Read 7381 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Must Win Tonight v. PC to Salvage Season
« on: January 04, 2022, 10:04:16 AM »
Tonight is pretty much a must win to salvage any sort of  postseason play this seson.  Down 0-4 with 3 home losses makes it pretty much impossible for this group to claw back to .500 in BE play.  Going to be tough - PC is old, experience and playing really well right now.

Would love to see the boys find a way to execute the game plan and come out with a W tonight! Let's make it happen. Fingers crossed.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

BM1090

• All American
Re: Must Win Tonight v. PC to Salvage Season
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 10:45:33 AM »
Agreed. Must win. I thought if they beat Creighton they would win 4 in a row. No luck there. Maybe they can still make it 3 in a row.

Is anyone out for PC? The line swung from MU +2 to MU -2.

hawk

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 10:51:03 AM »
Way early for the "must win" stuff.  The tale of this team starts with De Paul, St. Johns, Georgetown and Butler.  So far all this season shows is that MU is not a top 25 team.  I for one am not shocked by that.  9-11 in conference would be a good result and a little run in the conference tourny might steal a id.  The big east  has 4 ranked and 2 others receiving votes teams. I would be happy with some growth this season and an NIT bid.  Have to start somewhere and that would be a good place.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 10:55:08 AM »
Way early for the "must win" stuff.  The tale of this team starts with De Paul, St. Johns, Georgetown and Butler.  So far all this season shows is that MU is not a top 25 team.  I for one am not shocked by that.  9-11 in conference would be a good result and a little run in the conference tourny might steal a id.  The big east  has 4 ranked and 2 others receiving votes teams. I would be happy with some growth this season and an NIT bid.  Have to start somewhere and that would be a good place.

Even if you sweep those 4 teams (unlikely) you have to find 2-3 other wins.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 11:40:50 AM »

Agreed.  They could (mathematically) lose tonight and still go 16-4 in conference.  Now I know this doesn't look like a 16-4 team right now, but the schedule will get easier...
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 12:25:12 PM »
100% correct.  Absolute must win game this evening.  I believe we will will get the W and back on track.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 12:31:34 PM »
So ... please tell me none of you think
MU will sweep Gtown, DePaul, SJU and Butler ?!  They will go about 4 / 4 ... give or take a game ... in that group.

Right now ... as bad as they are, I don’t see where MU gets to even 7 BE wins.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 12:40:37 PM »
It literally is not a must win.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 12:45:41 PM »
If you are hoping for an NCAA berth, then it's probably close to must-win. Even if we sweep Butler/DePaul/Georgetown, we need to get at least 4, more likely 5, other wins in our remaining 9 to make the field of 68 with 5 on the road.

If you are happy with an NIT berth, then we probably only need 2 more wins if you get that B/D/G sweep, so there's a decent chance of continuing to play past the BET.

If you are just looking forward to this team being better in February and March than they are in December and January, then tonight is absolutely not a must-win in any sense of the words.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2022, 12:47:12 PM »
The Midgets started off 2-5, including a bad loss to DePaul.  We thought that was a flawed team that had some flukey pre conf success.  Then they righted the ship.

You never know.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2022, 12:51:23 PM »
If you are hoping for an NCAA berth, then it's probably close to must-win. Even if we sweep Butler/DePaul/Georgetown, we need to get at least 4, more likely 5, other wins in our remaining 9 to make the field of 68 with 5 on the road.

If you are happy with an NIT berth, then we probably only need 2 more wins if you get that B/D/G sweep, so there's a decent chance of continuing to play past the BET.

If you are just looking forward to this team being better in February and March than they are in December and January, then tonight is absolutely not a must-win in any sense of the words.

If we lose tonight, we can still make the NCAA tournament.  Therefore it is not a must win.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 12:53:02 PM »
The Midgets started off 2-5, including a bad loss to DePaul.  We thought that was a flawed team that had some flukey pre conf success.  Then they righted the ship.

You never know.

They did, but that felt more predictable. Per kenpom, when the Midgets finished the regular season 9-2, that included 7 wins in an 11-game stretch over sub-65 teams. We have 7 games against sub-65 teams left, but the other 9 are against top-50 teams. Our conference schedule this year is tougher than the one the Midgets faced. So much for that "New Big East is weaker" fiction people like to peddle.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2022, 03:05:29 PM »
Agreed. Must win. I thought if they beat Creighton they would win 4 in a row. No luck there. Maybe they can still make it 3 in a row.

Is anyone out for PC? The line swung from MU +2 to MU -2.

Very strange. Line continues to move towards MU. Seems extremely surprising that Marquette would be favored

hawk

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2022, 03:10:56 PM »
For this team to succeed this season they have to figure out how to have more than one guy to have a good game at a time.  It is the pain of youth that there is a wide range of outcomes game over game.  Prosper and Joplin had good games and oso didn't then Oso goes off for 20+ and  Lewis struggled a bit and prosper and Joplin didn't do much.  If you can imagine a team with Prosper, Igadoro, Lewis Kolek  and jones all playing well at the same time you can imagine an NCAA worthy team

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2022, 03:14:35 PM »

Yuck, I say, YUCK!!!!!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2022, 03:18:24 PM »
Yuck, I say, YUCK!!!!!

I want to see this team in the NCAAs, but if I knew going in that the options were one-and-done in the NCAAs or winning a few NIT games (and maybe all the NIT games) then for this team, I'd take the NIT. Those games at the Al in 2018 were tremendous fun and Shaka is undefeated in postseason non-NCAA tournament games. No, it's not the Big Dance, but while I'll always take the NCAA bid beforehand, there is no doubt in my mind that the most fun postseason under Wojo was the 2018 NIT. Winning games and cheering for the team you love trumps getting blasted by a superior opponent on the first day.

And I'd definitely take NIT over no postseason at all.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2022, 03:20:18 PM »

I'm "looking" for us to win every game. But I know that's not realistic. Also not realistic is thinking we'll rout PC (or any team, really). So I'm hoping that we can do what we've been doing -- hanging in games, rallying when necessary (and it's always necessary), being close at the end, and then actually pulling one out, as we did vs. Ill, Miss, WV and KSU (and UNH and SIUE). Need somebody to step up big down the stretch, need a little luck, maybe need a ref's call, whatever. And need to avoid tragically bad plays and/or poor coaching decisions.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2022, 03:55:17 PM »
Hoping for a competitive game with this time MU having more points at the end than the opponents.  If not, well life goes on.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2022, 03:58:32 PM »
Is Kam playing?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2022, 04:07:01 PM »

If we lose tonight, we can still make the NCAA tournament.  Therefore it is not a must win.

Lol, you're taking it far too literally.  A loss tonight makes going 10-10 that much harder.  Big difference between 1-3 and 0-4, just like there was big difference between 1-2 and 0-3 on Saturday.

Anything is possible, but for MU to have any realistic shot at making the tournament (which is a benchmark this program should strive to achieve every season), this game is a must win.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 04:09:02 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2022, 04:08:10 PM »
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2022, 04:12:12 PM »
Reeves is questionable but looks like he will play

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2022, 04:19:05 PM »
What's the line of a runaway bat, ice skating slippery floor or a Parka'ed up brother of a player entering the floor to call a time out?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2022, 04:22:49 PM »
What's the line of a runaway bat, ice skating slippery floor or a Parka'ed up brother of a player entering the floor to call a time out?

My wife still brings up Cooley ducking from the bat when she sees him on broadcasts.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2022, 04:36:56 PM »
My wife still brings up Cooley ducking from the bat when she sees him on broadcasts.

Honestly, one of the most fun and coming together games played at the BC. I miss Marquette Nation.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2022, 04:58:48 PM »
What's the over-under on how many "must win game" threads Scoop will have this season?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2022, 05:54:21 PM »
In December, after some interesting wins, I kept looking at the Barttorvik ratings where MU was around #100 and I thought "this is wrong, MU is better than the 100th best team in the country, in a few games the stats will catch up and they'll move lower."

Now MU is #110, with a 14-16 predicted record.   Seems the rating was spot on and the prediction is likely correct, plus or minus a game or two.

PC is not a "must win" game.  MU is not moving down ~40+ spots this season.

Brew is closer to right .. MU is fighting to get an NIT invite.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2022, 05:55:28 PM »
I want to see this team in the NCAAs, but if I knew going in that the options were one-and-done in the NCAAs or winning a few NIT games (and maybe all the NIT games) then for this team, I'd take the NIT. Those games at the Al in 2018 were tremendous fun and Shaka is undefeated in postseason non-NCAA tournament games. No, it's not the Big Dance, but while I'll always take the NCAA bid beforehand, there is no doubt in my mind that the most fun postseason under Wojo was the 2018 NIT. Winning games and cheering for the team you love trumps getting blasted by a superior opponent on the first day.

And I'd definitely take NIT over no postseason at all.
brings up an interesting question…make the ncaa but get the doors blown off in rd 1, or WIN the NIT and hang a banner?

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2022, 06:01:45 PM »
How the hell is this game a Pick'em?!  Is Providence missing guys or something?

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2022, 06:02:42 PM »
Viper - First ... I’d be “ happy “ w / an
NIT bid this year, given the circumstances.  At this point I think that is best case scenario.

And ... if we got a couple of home games in the NIT ... and won it ... I’d take that over a 20 point first round embarrassment.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2022, 06:09:51 PM »
In December, after some interesting wins, I kept looking at the Barttorvik ratings where MU was around #100 and I thought "this is wrong, MU is better than the 100th best team in the country, in a few games the stats will catch up and they'll move lower."

Now MU is #110, with a 14-16 predicted record.   Seems the rating was spot on and the prediction is likely correct, plus or minus a game or two.

Torvik is lower on MU than about every other analytics site. Not sure why.

It’s a must win if you think they can make the tournament. If they go 10-10 in conference they can get their NET high enough to have a shot.

If you don’t think that’s realistic and the goal is NIT, not a must win.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2022, 06:15:28 PM »
Torvik is lower on MU than about every other analytics site. Not sure why.

Haslam has MU at #109. Why? MU has one of the worst ranked offenses amongst high majors. Let’s hope it starts to click.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2022, 06:48:58 PM »
Thing is, one nice “comfortable” double digit win over a top 30 NET team like Providence will move MU from 83 into the 60s again in the NET, but it would have to be a convincing win.

That would then put Marquette back in decent position to battle for a bid going forward.

There are plenty of opportunities for big NET gain wins coming up in the next month (8 of the next 10!) but of those I would argue that tonight is probably Marquettes most realistic shot at one of these wins, especially if you were to hope for a convincing double digit win.

Providence is seasoned and good, but MU usually plays them well. Justin is coming off of a really bad performance and is due for a nice bounce back game. Morsell, Kur, and Greg as senior leaders are likely starting to realize that it’s now or never on the season. The shots are bound to fall at some point and why not some tonight. Home energy versus a ranked opponent and some stifling defense for 2 halves aren’t out of the question, and Providence is due for a dud.

Or Marquette can come out like they did versus Creighton…

Hopefully the former. Leggo

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2022, 07:00:00 PM »
Ahhh, the weekly "must win" thread.

Our first must win game is in NYC in March....

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2022, 07:30:04 PM »
It is a must win. Beat Providence and we have good vibes going forward. Lose to Providence and the team's confidence takes another hit.

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2022, 07:55:15 PM »
Can anyone tell me how this game is a Pick'em. Seriously, am I missing something?  Did Providence get hit with Covid? They get in a car accident on the way to Fiserv?  I have never bet against a team I root for but this doesn't make sense to me.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2022, 08:46:57 PM »
Can anyone tell me how this game is a Pick'em. Seriously, am I missing something?  Did Providence get hit with Covid? They get in a car accident on the way to Fiserv?  I have never bet against a team I root for but this doesn't make sense to me.

Reeves is out, and PC is overrated.

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2022, 09:02:39 PM »
Thanks jfp.  And we got on the baby blues. 😁. Hope we pull this crap out!

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2022, 09:58:53 PM »
Thing is, one nice “comfortable” double digit win over a top 30 NET team like Providence will move MU from 83 into the 60s again in the NET, but it would have to be a convincing win.

That would then put Marquette back in decent position to battle for a bid going forward.

There are plenty of opportunities for big NET gain wins coming up in the next month (8 of the next 10!) but of those I would argue that tonight is probably Marquettes most realistic shot at one of these wins, especially if you were to hope for a convincing double digit win.

Providence is seasoned and good, but MU usually plays them well. Justin is coming off of a really bad performance and is due for a nice bounce back game. Morsell, Kur, and Greg as senior leaders are likely starting to realize that it’s now or never on the season. The shots are bound to fall at some point and why not some tonight. Home energy versus a ranked opponent and some stifling defense for 2 halves aren’t out of the question, and Providence is due for a dud.

NostraDrV. This one felt good

panda

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2022, 10:03:51 PM »
NostraDrV. This one felt good

Would’ve been better without the hedge at the end ;-)

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2022, 10:13:08 PM »
Would’ve been better without the hedge at the end ;-)

Haha gotta modify that post real quick

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2022, 10:14:38 PM »
Check. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2022, 11:21:58 PM »

#boomgoesthedynamite

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2022, 08:34:47 AM »

This post hasn't aged well.  And it only took about 4 hours to get stale!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2022, 08:48:26 AM »
This post hasn't aged well.  And it only took about 4 hours to get stale!

He did plus “plus or minus a game or two” 🤪

In all honesty once you kind of just let infarct from the Creighton game and the orgasm from last nights game run their course you start to realize that this squad should likely win somewhere in the range of 8-11 BE games.

Hopefully 10 rather than 8. I just can’t see any conceivable way where a letdown game, or two, don’t happen in the conference slate. Hopefully not Friday at GTown or at home versus DePaul, let the excitement grow a little!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2022, 08:53:01 AM »

Good call, line was ridiculous.  MU should have been -30!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2022, 09:03:09 AM »
In terms of season salvaging, our kenpom is up to 61 and NET is up to 57, both very bubbly after having some ugly metrics. While the resume could use some polish, this is the kind of metric win that can have us in the bubble discussion right up until Selection Sunday.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2022, 09:49:21 AM »
In terms of season salvaging, our kenpom is up to 61 and NET is up to 57, both very bubbly after having some ugly metrics. While the resume could use some polish, this is the kind of metric win that can have us in the bubble discussion right up until Selection Sunday.

Yep. Probably need to win the next two to start talking NCAA tournament again, but 11-6 (3-3) with 4 good wins would be a start.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2022, 10:32:49 AM »
Yep. Probably need to win the next two to start talking NCAA tournament again, but 11-6 (3-3) with 4 good wins would be a start.

Agreed.  This is very possible and would bring some energy to the building at home games.  Just bought 5 tickets to the Xavier game.  Was planning to go regardless of last night but now I am more excited.  I think we take them down a couple weeks from now.  Kenpom mid 30s here we come!!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2022, 10:56:51 AM »
Agreed.  This is very possible and would bring some energy to the building at home games.  Just bought 5 tickets to the Xavier game.  Was planning to go regardless of last night but now I am more excited.  I think we take them down a couple weeks from now.  Kenpom mid 30s here we come!!

Bonnies haven't played since December 17th and return to action Saturday. I'm really hoping they get to the top-100 so it's a Q2 loss by the end of the year. They are favored in their next 7 and if they get going hot it would really help us, but that's a long layoff and starts with a tough home test in St. Louis. Probably the biggest game of the weekend for us that doesn't involve Marquette directly.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2022, 01:39:39 PM »

;D  ;D  ;D

1SE

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2022, 12:58:08 AM »
I think the only "must wins" left on the schedule now are vs. GT and Butler. A Q4 loss would probably knock us down 3 or 4 seed lines.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2022, 01:15:12 AM »
I think the only "must wins" left on the schedule now are vs. GT and Butler. A Q4 loss would probably knock us down 3 or 4 seed lines.

Ha!  That post by hilltopper did not age well.

Carl

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2022, 01:29:33 AM »
Whole thread is gold

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2022, 07:31:22 AM »
So ... please tell me none of you think
MU will sweep Gtown, DePaul, SJU and Butler ?!  They will go about 4 / 4 ... give or take a game ... in that group.

Right now ... as bad as they are, I don’t see where MU gets to even 7 BE wins.

This was a good one, too.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2022, 07:43:01 AM »

This thread houses one of my favorite/best personal posts of all time.

For the record, I attribute this post to the 7 consecutive wins, or should I say 8? 😛

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2022, 07:49:34 AM »
I have to believe that to have the "We can beat anyone mentality", they will also need to beat UCONN and Creighton.  No one likes to be swept for the season. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 07:53:22 AM by NCMUFan »

1SE

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2022, 08:49:04 AM »
Must win to pull to .500 in our Q1A games.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2022, 11:00:34 AM »
Ah, Barttorvik ... always 100% accurate and fun!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback