'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Why I'm still optimistic  (Read 5362 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
Why I'm still optimistic
« on: January 02, 2022, 02:23:37 PM »
I've been to every home game this year and I have enjoyed every game much more than any Wojo game (save for a few MH & Hauser games).  The attitude, defensive intensity, and team play has been a breath of fresh air.  This team, as has been well-documented, has some major offensive deficiencies.  Despite this, the team seems to always stay in the game and make a late run. The wins will come when the shots fall. When the offense catches up, this team will win some games they shouldn't.  MU shot the ball terribly against a very good Creighton team, and went to 2OT, with some painful opportunities to get the W.  In Shaka, I trust. Hang in there, good things will come.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Why I'm still optimistic
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 03:20:01 PM »
+100

Some of these shots have to start falling.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 03:34:40 PM »
+100

Some of these shots have to start falling.

Really? I think they’ve proven they can’t make shots. Most of the 3s they take are wide open and they’re not even close. I’m personally not optimistic, 9th place sounds about right. I do think Jones/Joplin/Mitchell will improve and start making more shots. Future looks bright if they can get a few bigs.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 03:38:12 PM »
eso

You are right, most are wide open shots. Once they start making shots it is going to be fun to watch.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 03:39:03 PM »
There is reason to be optimistic.    Probably not for this year, however.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 05:01:57 PM »
I've been to every home game this year and I have enjoyed every game much more than any Wojo game (save for a few MH & Hauser games).  The attitude, defensive intensity, and team play has been a breath of fresh air.  This team, as has been well-documented, has some major offensive deficiencies.  Despite this, the team seems to always stay in the game and make a late run. The wins will come when the shots fall. When the offense catches up, this team will win some games they shouldn't.  MU shot the ball terribly against a very good Creighton team, and went to 2OT, with some painful opportunities to get the W.  In Shaka, I trust. Hang in there, good things will come.

Porky concurs with your last sentence, but clearly not this season and most likely not next season either.  24/25 Elite Eight or Move on from current staff.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 05:18:17 PM »
Remember the Majerus through to Dukiet until some hope with O’Neill years? We’re in that rancid water trench again. A 10 yr and counting slog. I suppose there was a time when Georgetown-guy and St. John’s-guy never thought they be reduced to slug status either. Hopefully a shooter and ready-to-ball big will be delivered soon. I’m on the bridge with only a sidearm. Tankbusters are grounded and a Panzer is approaching.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 05:39:03 PM »
There’s very little... if any ... reason to think MU will start making shots.  The only guy that has made any is Elliot

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 07:55:01 PM »
There’s very little... if any ... reason to think MU will start making shots.  The only guy that has made any is Elliot

And I am not sure they will get that better, there misses are not in and out, but way off.  Next year they maybe in and out!

mug644

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 08:23:33 PM »
Remember the Majerus through to Dukiet until some hope with O’Neill years? We’re in that rancid water trench again. A 10 yr and counting slog. I suppose there was a time when Georgetown-guy and St. John’s-guy never thought they be reduced to slug status either. Hopefully a shooter and ready-to-ball big will be delivered soon. I’m on the bridge with only a sidearm. Tankbusters are grounded and a Panzer is approaching.

I was at MU 84-88, so I lived those years. And I disagree that we are in the same rancid water trench that only the ‘Lanche could help us survive.

You can’t equate Dukiet and Deane with Wojo and Shaka. The first two were evidence of weak support by the MU administration and investment in the program. O’Neill was the wake up coach, where the admin understood the deep value of men’s b-ball. The latter demonstrate the commitment (and one might argue that Wojo’s firing proved that MU, finally, does have the willingness to cut rope when expectations are not being met) of the university.

True that the last 8+ years have been mediocre, but they have been much, much better than the D & D years, in many ways.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 09:00:02 PM »

Graduated in ‘90. The Wojo years were like paradise compared to the era I had to endure.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Viper

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2022, 09:22:17 PM »
I was at MU 84-88, so I lived those years. And I disagree that we are in the same rancid water trench that only the ‘Lanche could help us survive.

You can’t equate Dukiet and Deane with Wojo and Shaka. The first two were evidence of weak support by the MU administration and investment in the program. O’Neill was the wake up coach, where the admin understood the deep value of men’s b-ball. The latter demonstrate the commitment (and one might argue that Wojo’s firing proved that MU, finally, does have the willingness to cut rope when expectations are not being met) of the university.

True that the last 8+ years have been mediocre, but they have been much, much better than the D & D years, in many ways.
our years crossed over. Nothing worse than Digger Phelps grabbing the mic at the MECCA (‘87, maybe?) and scolding the student section.  Deane was after O’Neill. Not a bad coach, actually…and hilarious at the MU100 celebration…but his recruiting was bad sausage.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2022, 09:23:22 PM »
Graduated in ‘90. The Wojo years were like paradise compared to the era I had to endure.
true. You had a rough stretch

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2022, 11:02:13 PM »
eso

You are right, most are wide open shots. Once they start making shots it is going to be fun to watch.

What I am optimistically is just that - that the system is delivering open shots very often, and against good teams.    So, IF this team starts hitting crap they could be dangerous.  IF Shaka recruits shooters the system will deliver.  That is encouraging. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2022, 05:46:25 AM »
our years crossed over. Nothing worse than Digger Phelps grabbing the mic at the MECCA (‘87, maybe?) and scolding the student section.  Deane was after O’Neill. Not a bad coach, actually…and hilarious at the MU100 celebration…but his recruiting was bad sausage.

I don't think that was the year the student section poured a beer on him.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2022, 06:56:19 AM »
8 years, 9 months, 7 days

105 months, 7 days

457 weeks, 5 days

3204 calendar days

#JustWin(in March/April)Baby

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2022, 07:41:56 AM »

Sorry fore ur loss, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2022, 08:53:35 AM »
Nothing wrong with staying optimistic.
They made a game of it on New Year.
If they can make a game of it the rest of the year, it will be entertaining.
Go Marquette!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2022, 09:04:37 AM »
Kolek to Oso is the main reason to be optimistic for me. Those guys potentially have 3.5 more seasons to grow together. Surround them with some high quality 3&D guys (with both of them improving their 3 point shooting themselves) and they can take us on a run.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2022, 09:44:14 AM »

Right. My mistake with mis-ordering the coaches. My larger point is that were are in no way in the same rancid water trench of the mid-80s. Too much investment and commitment by the university (and deep-pocketed donors) and more opportunities (being in the BEast, playing at Fiserv, having the Al). And, my point about O'Neill being the wake up call may be reaffirmed by Deane's mediocrity (and lack of willingness to recruit at a higher level)...the university experienced what might be by investing in a driven coach like O'Neill, and so they cut ties with Deane before we re-entered the rancid water trench of Dukiet.

Back to the main word of the thread, I also remain optimistic, and that's my nature with MU b-ball. I want to believe that every player is about to turn the corner, that every coach is learning and improving, that the next big recruit will feel about MU what I feel. I also recognize that my optimism and hopes are not always going to be met. Especially this year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2022, 11:47:22 AM »
I'm extremely optimistic, though I'm talking more about the program as a whole than about Season 1 under a new regime.

But as for Season 1 ... we not only have gotten a lot of open looks from 3 that we can't hit, we also have missed a lot of pretty good looks at or near the rim. Missed dunks, lots of drives we haven't finished, plenty of 3-5 footers, etc. They all aren't gonna go in, of course ... but if only some of 'em do, it would help a lot. One of our few good "finishes" Saturday came when O'Connell accidentally tipped one into our basket.

Frankly, I'm more hopeful that the close-in attempts will start going down than I am about our 3s suddenly going in.

We're almost half-way through the season. If we're not there yet, we're getting very close to the point where we simply are what we are and we shoot like we shoot. I would LOVE to be proven wrong by the 5 rotation players currently shooting .300 or lower from behind the arc.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2022, 01:15:34 PM »
I'm extremely optimistic, though I'm talking more about the program as a whole than about Season 1 under a new regime.

But as for Season 1 ... we not only have gotten a lot of open looks from 3 that we can't hit, we also have missed a lot of pretty good looks at or near the rim. Missed dunks, lots of drives we haven't finished, plenty of 3-5 footers, etc. They all aren't gonna go in, of course ... but if only some of 'em do, it would help a lot. One of our few good "finishes" Saturday came when O'Connell accidentally tipped one into our basket.

Frankly, I'm more hopeful that the close-in attempts will start going down than I am about our 3s suddenly going in.

We're almost half-way through the season. If we're not there yet, we're getting very close to the point where we simply are what we are and we shoot like we shoot. I would LOVE to be proven wrong by the 5 rotation players currently shooting .300 or lower from behind the arc.

This is how I feel.  I keep going back to Shaka's comment about culture first.  He wants to instill a way to play, and it doesn't quite fit this roster's skill set.  I am optimistic for the long term, but think firing threes with this current roster is a not a winning recipe.  I feel for Morsell and Kuath who are one year guys playing for a coach who is not trying to optimize this particular team's roster.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2022, 01:50:53 PM »
This is how I feel.  I keep going back to Shaka's comment about culture first.  He wants to instill a way to play, and it doesn't quite fit this roster's skill set.  I am optimistic for the long term, but think firing threes with this current roster is a not a winning recipe.  I feel for Morsell and Kuath who are one year guys playing for a coach who is not trying to optimize this particular team's roster.

Agree about this being a bit of a square-peg-round-hole situation. Unlike some, I'm actually OK with it if it ends up helping long-term. We can't know if that will be the case until we get to Year 2 and 3 and beyond.

As for Morsell and Kuath ... Shaka is reputedly an incredible and honest communicator with athletes. I like to think he emphasized the opportunities he could give them to showcase their talent while also expecting them to help lead an otherwise young team that just might surprise people. And if those are the kind of things he told them, I don't feel for them at all. Especially Morsell ... Maryland sure as heck wasn't giving him a chance to become the featured offensive player.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Viper

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2022, 04:02:22 PM »
Agree about this being a bit of a square-peg-round-hole situation. Unlike some, I'm actually OK with it if it ends up helping long-term. We can't know if that will be the case until we get to Year 2 and 3 and beyond.

As for Morsell and Kuath ... Shaka is reputedly an incredible and honest communicator with athletes. I like to think he emphasized the opportunities he could give them to showcase their talent while also expecting them to help lead an otherwise young team that just might surprise people. And if those are the kind of things he told them, I don't feel for them at all. Especially Morsell ... Maryland sure as heck wasn't giving him a chance to become the featured offensive player.
what I’m uptight about is that we are on year 9 of mediocre to bad basketball. MU is falling into the DePaul-zone. Needing yet another year or two? Brutal to even think about. And living here in mke, I can tell you MU hoops isn’t even making back page news these days. Not to mention all things Wisconsin Badgers is suffocating. I know it can be turned around quickly, but I can’t shake my pessimism.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2022, 04:47:13 PM »

Agreed that good things will come. But it ain’t happening this year. This team sucks.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

feedback