collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Testing in your area  (Read 5760 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Testing in your area
« on: December 27, 2021, 09:32:33 PM »
I'm just curious how easy or difficult it has been for scoopers to get the rapid test or home kit in their respective areas?  Because many people I know cannot get tested unless they wait in 2+ hr lines or they aren't available at all.

JWags85

• All American
Re: Testing in your area
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 10:27:32 PM »
I'm just curious how easy or difficult it has been for scoopers to get the rapid test or home kit in their respective areas?  Because many people I know cannot get tested unless they wait in 2+ hr lines or they aren't available at all.

SE Wisconsin at home tests are MIA.  In the Tampa/St Pete area where I just was for Christmas, same deal.

Rapid tests arent as bad though.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 10:38:03 PM »
Super fortunate, our school district has a testing program.  On a day there were lines wrapped out of test sites .. we went to our school's and was in and out in 5 minutes.  They did two swabs, and emailed results in 15 minutes, and the other test result the next morning.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 10:38:47 PM »
5 hour wait for free tests. Rumors of self tests available at some stores in south Florida.
If you are willing to pay for tests, they are to be had with minimal wait. Yah capitalism?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 07:21:10 AM by pbiflyer »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 11:33:34 PM »

I have a supply I got at work that I keep at home. Had an exposure last week, two tests came back clear. Back to normal life.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 09:34:54 AM »
I bought several in the weeks leading up to Christmas because I could tell folks had started buying them in the Vaccine Hunters FB group. I have given all but one away at this point. Just ordered a couple more online. I did the University of Illinois Shield saliva test over at Northeastern Illinois University the Tuesday before Christmas, really didn’t wait at all though I understood there were lines earlier that day. They resume again after the new year.
Be careful where you go, some of the pop ups here haven’t been sending PCR results for a week, or never.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 09:57:24 AM »
5 hour wait for free tests. Rumors of self tests available at some stores in south Florida.
If you are willing to pay for tests, they are to be had with minimal wait. Yah capitalism?

Aka, nothin' worthwhile iz free, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2021, 10:05:19 AM »

We stocked up on tests anticipating this. But what a world we live in where that's necessary. I drive by Marquette, and the test site down by Valley Fields was consistently extremely long. Very disappointing that our governments either actively obstructed progress or proved they couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time while trying to will the pandemic to end.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2021, 10:19:20 AM »
Went past the Summit testing site in Germantown yesterday afternoon, and the line was 15-20 feet long outside of the door.
Have some patience, FFS.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2021, 10:21:15 AM »
There are anecdotal reports of people heading to areas where the vaccination rate is lower and successfully finding home tests there.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2021, 10:35:06 AM »
There are anecdotal reports of people heading to areas where the vaccination rate is lower and successfully finding home tests there.

That's what I did
Maigh Eo for Sam

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2021, 10:39:15 AM »
I live close to a rapid testing sight. Results in 3 hours.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2021, 11:39:24 AM »
For one of my first political posts ever.... seems that the testing in 2020 under Trump wasn't that awful eh?

Of course, we were only testing when we thought people had it, and hoarding the tests, while now we let literally anyone come in and get tested.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2021, 11:44:23 AM »
I've got a bunch for sale, $50 a pop.  I'll throw in postage and handling, hey.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2021, 11:48:46 AM »
For one of my first political posts ever.... seems that the testing in 2020 under Trump wasn't that awful eh?

Of course, we were only testing when we thought people had it, and hoarding the tests, while now we let literally anyone come in and get tested.

Yes, but testing in 2020 was in lower demand... before many places required negative tests or a vaccination to go to work or attend anything.

Supply is higher than 2020 with the variety of at home tests, and our more scaled/mature testing infrastructure. Demand is much higher than 2020, especially since we're not shutting down during a surge.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2021, 12:20:10 PM »
I've got a bunch for sale, $50 a pop.  I'll throw in postage and handling, hey.

I'll take one, but it must be mailed attached to a cinder block... for safety reasons.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2021, 02:40:29 PM »
I honestly didn't anticipate this would be such a problem now. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2021, 02:46:24 PM »
There is a rapid test center in my office building in downtown MKE and quite busy. We were able to find a bunch of rapid home tests in the inner city of MKE. All of the home tests in western burbs were sold everywhere we went.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2021, 03:55:51 PM »

Testing was awful and got better under the trump admin with Brent Giroir.  He solved that first crisis.  Then we went into testing stasis for political reasons and it wasn’t sufficient in the fall/winter surge—but was much better than the start of the pandemic.  B. Giroir did some things to setup the next admin on antigen testing that wasn’t advanced. 

The Biden admin made two key errors in my mind.  1. They believed the vaccine alone could end the pandemic. 2. They totally dismissed Antigen tests.  I have been using those since the summer and if a group of vaccinated people take one before an event it is a big risk reducer (not eliminating but reducing).

So here we are. You can claim this snuck up quick (it did) but reality is that the medical community has been screaming about antigen tests (costs higher than Europe and supply too low) loudly since June/July and even before. 

Total miscalculation by the current admin.  These things should be everywhere and cheap (~$1-2).  Instead we have to hunt for them and they are $10 a pop—a luxury for the wealthy. 

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2021, 03:59:00 PM »
Testing was awful and got better under the trump admin with Brent Giroir.  He solved that first crisis.  Then we went into testing stasis for political reasons and it wasn’t sufficient in the fall/winter surge—but was much better than the start of the pandemic.  B. Giroir did some things to setup the next admin on antigen testing that wasn’t advanced. 

The Biden admin made two key errors in my mind.  1. They believed the vaccine alone could end the pandemic. 2. They totally dismissed Antigen tests.  I have been using those since the summer and if a group of vaccinated people take one before an event it is a big risk reducer (not eliminating but reducing).

So here we are. You can claim this snuck up quick (it did) but reality is that the medical community has been screaming about antigen tests (costs higher than Europe and supply too low) loudly since June/July and even before. 

Total miscalculation by the current admin.  These things should be everywhere and cheap (~$1-2).  Instead we have to hunt for them and they are $10 a pop—a luxury for the wealthy.

This ^

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2021, 04:34:56 PM »
The Biden admin made two key errors in my mind.  1. They believed the vaccine alone could end the pandemic. 2. They totally dismissed Antigen tests. 

I don't entirely disagree, but .. vaccination was ending the pandemic, bringing Alpha and Delta down to tolerable levels.   Other variants were inevitable but we (Biden) rolled snake-eyes with Omicron, hitting right around the holidays (large gatherings) with a virus profile that was 420% more transmissible.

So .. should the admin expect variants?  Yes.   But there are a bunch of possibilities for each one, including making tests that The Variant To Be Named Later has a high false-negative rate on Covid 1.0 test strips.   Imaging gambling and making a billion tests that didn't work good enough.

In conclusion .. this is a tough business to be in, and everyone wants your predictions to be spot on 120 days in the past.  Good luck on that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2021, 05:02:03 PM »

In conclusion .. this is a tough business to be in, and everyone wants your predictions to be spot on 120 days in the past.  Good luck on that.

Yep, defeating Covid, solving the border crisis, exiting Afghanistan, dealing with China and Russia, inflation, violent crime (especially in our cities), etc., etc., etc., have all made being president a “tough business to be in”. So far, so bad.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2021, 05:02:36 PM »

Aka, nothin' worthwhile iz free, aina?

Let ‘‘em eat cake, eh? That ended well.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2021, 05:03:47 PM »

They should all be paid for in the covid relief bills.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2021, 05:18:04 PM »
I don't entirely disagree, but .. vaccination was ending the pandemic, bringing Alpha and Delta down to tolerable levels.   Other variants were inevitable but we (Biden) rolled snake-eyes with Omicron, hitting right around the holidays (large gatherings) with a virus profile that was 420% more transmissible.

So .. should the admin expect variants?  Yes.   But there are a bunch of possibilities for each one, including making tests that The Variant To Be Named Later has a high false-negative rate on Covid 1.0 test strips.   Imaging gambling and making a billion tests that didn't work good enough.

I don’t disagree but a vaccination only campaign to end the pandemic was clearly not going to happen. We all knew that even before delta breakthroughs (btw because a not small segment of the country is acting irrationally) .  That was when we doubled down with pandemic of the unvaccinated and vaccine mandates which didn’t achieve the desired result. 

IMO starting a plan B in June would have been prudent once it was clear we were lagging the world in vaccinations.  We knew this day was coming—it was just a question of when.

Its not like this variant is evading our antigen tests. We just never did the work to force the issue of these things being available AND at a reasonable price. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 05:20:44 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2021, 05:24:42 PM »
I don’t disagree but a vaccination only campaign to end the pandemic was clearly not going to happen. We all knew that even before delta breakthroughs (btw because a not small segment of the country is acting irrationally) .  That was when we doubled down with pandemic of the unvaccinated and vaccine mandates which didn’t achieve the desired result. 

IMO starting a plan B in June would have been prudent once it was clear we were lagging the world in vaccinations.  We knew this day was coming—it was just a question of when.

Its not like this variant is evading our antigen tests. We just never did the work to force the issue of these things being available AND at a reasonable price.

There isn’t an excuse and there is an almost 100% chance the administration was made aware of this possibility.

They may tell you these things come as a surprise, but the Bush-era pandemic response plan that was scrapped would have prepared the previous administration and the current one with a much better plan of attack than the haphazard ones we’ve seen.

When the autopsy is done on our national response, it’ll be an ugly report.  It’ll also be forgotten sooner than later and future generations will make the same mistakes.  It’s the American way
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2021, 05:30:59 PM »

That's all good and well, but assumes plentiful cheap antigen tests would slow the spread of Omi.  I don't see any good data that shows lack of testing is the reason this is a problem.  Instead, as topper mentioned, a new highly transmissible variant showed up just before the US holidays after nearly 2 years of covid exhaustion.  This is, and was, the perfect storm.

Now, do I wish tests were plentiful and easy - sure (even though I haven't done a test since before a surgery in June).  But I also don't think more tests would be slowing Omi.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2021, 05:36:13 PM »
I’ve got a response to your comment rocky but I don’t want to turn this into another ‘scoop thread’.

All I’ll say is ever since the movie Perfect Storm, there has been at least a dozen of them that pop up every year. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2021, 05:45:14 PM »
All I’ll say is ever since the movie Perfect Storm, there has been at least a dozen of them that pop up every year.

Hah, fair.  I'll remove that from my scoopcabulary.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2021, 06:25:25 PM »
Yep, defeating Covid, solving the border crisis, exiting Afghanistan, dealing with China and Russia, inflation, violent crime (especially in our cities), etc., etc., etc., have all made being president a “tough business to be in”. So far, so bad.

It's no job for the dumb, feeble, and mentally incompetent, aina?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 06:27:09 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2021, 06:32:15 PM »

That's why he was voted out of office, nu?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftpc4fwcDfk
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2021, 06:47:32 PM »

Funny, I don't recall you ever criticizing our previous president on his record. 

Hmmmmmmmm......

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2021, 06:48:47 PM »

The "Greatest President of our time" (according to you) was all three as well.

Here's a thought.  Let's stop electing septuagenarians, aina?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2021, 06:50:28 PM »
Lenny

I seldom pipe in on political topics, but you listed a pretty solid list of issues that the President is in over his head on. Joe and his VP are not providing a ton of confidence or leadership, aside from there will be new folks on those positions in three years.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2021, 06:56:44 PM »
Lenny

I seldom pipe in on political topics, but you listed a pretty solid list of issues that the President is in over his head on. Joe and his VP are not providing a ton of confidence or leadership, aside from there will be new folks on those positions in three years.

It's okay to say our previous two executives have been incompetent.

but it's hard for you.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2021, 07:05:19 PM »
Lenny

All true, but FD Joe will chit the bed and pee down his leg, both figuratively and literally, often between now and then, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2021, 07:13:10 PM »
I’m before the lock
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2021, 07:18:06 PM »

All true, but FD Joe will chit the bed and pee down his leg, both figuratively and literally, often between now and then, hey?

Your hero wears adult diapers.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2021, 07:20:49 PM »
Speaking of septuagenarians (when in office), Harry Reid died today, and before he could tell us all about the aliens.