Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Tyler (Kolek), The Creator  (Read 5076 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
[Paint Touches] Tyler (Kolek), The Creator
« on: December 26, 2021, 03:54:55 PM »
Tyler is both the least efficient offensive player in the Big East this season and the best P&R passer the modern Big East has ever seen.

I spent some time digging in what makes him such a creative force and why I'm so excited he's got over 3 years of eligibility left.

http://painttouches.com/2021/12/26/tyler-kolek-the-creator/

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Tyler (Kolek), The Creator
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 04:53:52 PM »
Tyler is both the least efficient offensive player in the Big East this season and the best P&R passer the modern Big East has ever seen.

I spent some time digging in what makes him such a creative force and why I'm so excited he's got over 3 years of eligibility left.

Best passer in the country - not bad for an A10 level talent, a’ina?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 05:24:05 PM »

Great article and analysis.  The shot quality Kolek creates for others is fantastic.  I've said it before awhile back during the Derrick Wilson years, that not all assists are equal.  Would be curious to see these metrics on Derrick to see if the eye test met the data. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 08:55:23 PM »
Great article and analysis.  The shot quality Kolek creates for others is fantastic.  I've said it before awhile back during the Derrick Wilson years, that not all assists are equal.  Would be curious to see these metrics on Derrick to see if the eye test met the data.
LOL
Goal is National Championship

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 09:14:53 PM »

Kolek attacks and can score.

Derrick sat at the top of the key looking confuzzled.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 09:48:00 PM »

I agree it would be interesting to analyze this and I have no stake in this argument only a curiosity to see if that would be the case. 

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 07:42:00 AM »
Except if you eliminate the buy games and only use P6 schools and St. Bonnie he has 56 assts to 28 TOs a whopping 2-1 assist to TO ratio. Then add the last 5 games in which teams now have a scouting report on him. The kid is shooting 6 - 33 and 37-12 Asst/TO. A little better but 3 -1 asst to TO ratio is not earth shattering. And UConn went after him on the defensive end

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 09:23:08 AM »
Great analysis... Well written.  Thanks!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 09:27:36 AM »
We need to get better at the PG position ... which doesn't make that position unique. Aside from the position Lewis plays, we need better play at all of 'em, both for the rest of this season and the future.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 09:40:52 AM »
Great article and analysis.  The shot quality Kolek creates for others is fantastic.

Define "shot quality"?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 09:45:10 AM »
Open looks within the context of the offense.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2021, 09:52:03 AM »
Open First looks within the context of the offense.   

FIFY. This offense is statistically inferior to the Derrick Wilson offense of Wojo's first year. This year's offense may be more exciting to watch but quality is not a word I'd use to describe it (yet).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2021, 10:00:39 AM »
Most of them are open.    My favorite MU offense in my lifetime was Buzz with the midgets.    That offense was the same motion as this offense.    The difference is that Buzz was trying to protect his defense by wearing out the other team with his offense.    Dribble, drive,  dish, repeat until there was an open 3 or a lay up.    Loved it.   
I would like to see a little more of that with this team.  However,   I am not sure that there are enough effective penetrators and passers to really be successful for 25 seconds without throwing the ball away.   And I think that Shaka would rather see a shot than a turnover.       Also, Shaka uses his defense, pressure, and depth to wear out the opponent to make it easier for his offense.   

I hear what you are saying, Dr. B.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2021, 10:04:28 AM »
Except if you eliminate the buy games and only use P6 schools and St. Bonnie he has 56 assts to 28 TOs a whopping 2-1 assist to TO ratio. Then add the last 5 games in which teams now have a scouting report on him. The kid is shooting 6 - 33 and 37-12 Asst/TO. A little better but 3 -1 asst to TO ratio is not earth shattering. And UConn went after him on the defensive end

I'd like to point out that his assists are down mostly to his teammates Bricking open shots... or wide open dunks.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2021, 10:11:46 AM »
FIFY. This offense is statistically inferior to the Derrick Wilson offense of Wojo's first year. This year's offense may be more exciting to watch but quality is not a word I'd use to describe it (yet).

You asked about shot quality...I define that as an open look, set feet on jump shots, not shooting off the dribble (which encompasses dump downs/hand offs for dunks.)  Kolek has created A LOT of those looks for our team. 

As for statistically inferior to Derrick Wilson led offense, based on what?  Certainly not the O-Rating differential of 105.3 to 104.5?  Through this point in the season in Wojo's first year, MU had played 3 teams ranked in the Top 50 and 3 teams in the 300s.  This year's team has played a substantially harder schedule, 7 teams in the Top 50, and 1 team in the 300s. 

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2021, 10:17:15 AM »

A 3:1 Assist to Turnover rate is good.  Those last 5 games?  All high majors ranked 33, 67, 8, 25, 26.

I still think he'll end up shooting close to 30% from 3 before the season is over...dug himself a bit of a hole, but he's a better shooter than the current 22% reflects.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2021, 11:00:39 AM »
A 3:1 Assist to Turnover rate is good.  Those last 5 games?  All high majors ranked 33, 67, 8, 25, 26.

I still think he'll end up shooting close to 30% from 3 before the season is over...dug himself a bit of a hole, but he's a better shooter than the current 22% reflects.

Agree. Beyotching about a 3:1 A/T ratio actually made me laugh. I mean, he's a first-time major-college PG, and he's doing a very good job of putting his teammates in very good position to score.

I'm not sure about how he'll shoot. His shot simply doesn't look good. Obviously, I hope it improves because it's a liability to have a PG who can't hit a shot -- especially if he's not surrounded by knock-down shooters.

Either way, I value him as a player, I'm glad he's on the team because I shudder to think how our offense would look without him, and I hope he continues to get better as his season and his career go on.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2021, 11:08:54 AM »
You asked about shot quality...I define that as an open look, set feet on jump shots, not shooting off the dribble (which encompasses dump downs/hand offs for dunks.)  Kolek has created A LOT of those looks for our team. 

As for statistically inferior to Derrick Wilson led offense, based on what?  Certainly not the O-Rating differential of 105.3 to 104.5?  Through this point in the season in Wojo's first year, MU had played 3 teams ranked in the Top 50 and 3 teams in the 300s.  This year's team has played a substantially harder schedule, 7 teams in the Top 50, and 1 team in the 300s.

You do realize those "adjusted" stats you quote are adjusted for quality of opponent. Yes, Shaka's team is statistically below/inferior to that Derrick Wilson's led team (at this point).  If that is your definition of "quality", that stands on its face value.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2021, 12:00:03 PM »
You do realize those "adjusted" stats you quote are adjusted for quality of opponent. Yes, Shaka's team is statistically below/inferior to that Derrick Wilson's led team (at this point).  If that is your definition of "quality", that stands on its face value.

I didn't realize that comparing a teams output through 13 games was the equivalent of comparing to a teams output over 32 games?  Nor did I feel the 0.8 differential between Wojo's first team qualified as materially "inferior."

But hey, if you feel Wojo's first team led by Derrick Wilson that finished 154th in O-Rating was better than this team that currently ranks 99th and has played the 7th toughest schedule as it relates to strength of opposition defense?  Knock yourself out.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2021, 12:20:45 PM »
Pure scoop magic
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2021, 01:48:13 PM »
Goal is National Championship

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2021, 02:09:39 PM »
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2021, 02:11:53 PM »
Assist rate #8 in the nation, yay

OE at #99

#StyleStat

It’s needed on this team, but a good reminder that assist rate is a style descriptor, not a good indicator of offensive efficiency
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2021, 02:31:22 PM »

panda

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2021, 02:46:54 PM »
MU’s offense stalls without him.
Can’t say the same about other previous MU guards.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2021, 03:00:48 PM »
Assist rate #8 in the nation, yay

OE at #99

#StyleStat

It’s needed on this team, but a good reminder that assist rate is a style descriptor, not a good indicator of offensive efficiency

Yes and no, team assist rates are relatively indicative of offensive performance.  Maintaining efficient offense without a high a team assist rate is difficult without 1. generational offensive talents or 2. great team offensive rebounding.

Neither thing MU has.

The only decent offense really under a 45% assist rate is Seton Hall. There you have both, Aiken's ability to fill it up, and offensive rebounding for Yetna and Samuel. They are 40th in offensive efficiency.

Really the only top 10 teams with assist rates near the middle of the pack are UCLA and Houston. They again have great shot makers and rebounders.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2021, 06:15:20 PM »
100%.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2021, 10:52:55 PM »

Yes, if you eliminate all the games he played well he's a really bad basketball player.

There are 19 players in the entire country with an assist to turnover ratio of over 3 to 1.  Two of them are below 3.1 to 1.  6 of them play in Power 6 conferences.

I guess you could argue the semantics of "earth shattering," but assist to turnover ratios over 3 to 1 are pretty much elite no matter what level of basketball you're playing at (in the NBA, there are 25 players at 3 to 1 or better).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2021, 11:04:10 PM »
Yes, if you eliminate all the games he played well he's a really bad basketball player.

There are 19 players in the entire country with an assist to turnover ratio of over 3 to 1.  Two of them are below 3.1 to 1.  6 of them play in Power 6 conferences.

I guess you could argue the semantics of "earth shattering," but assist to turnover ratios over 3 to 1 are pretty much elite no matter what level of basketball you're playing at (in the NBA, there are 25 players at 3 to 1 or better).

How many points is a good assist to turnover ratio worth?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2021, 11:21:27 PM »

That’s a really good question but I think it was somewhat answered by the author of the article with ppp stats on pick and roll.  There is probably a more detailed answer as basketball is not all pick and roll.  I’d be curious if someone could answer your question fully.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2021, 11:24:03 PM »

As many as any number on a piece of paper is worth.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2021, 11:14:24 AM »
On offensive ValueAdd, Pudner has Kolek at zero to this point. Overall, he is 8th best on the team.

http://www.valueaddbasketball.com/

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2021, 12:45:06 PM »
On offensive ValueAdd, Pudner has Kolek at zero to this point. Overall, he is 8th best on the team.

http://www.valueaddbasketball.com/

Yeah, but where are Steve Nash and Travis Diener on that list? They're not even on it, are they?