[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Just My Opinion  (Read 6447 times)

oilcan

• Team Captain
Just My Opinion
« on: December 25, 2021, 08:00:31 PM »
A year ago, when Wojo was still the coach, and when DJ Carton and Dawson Garcia were still on the team, I believed MU was 2 years away from really competing in the Big East and putting a team on the floor that could make the elite eight.

The pieces were there, but they had to learn to play together and grow. Adding Justin Lewis was so important to the team’s ability to score from many spots on the floor. In college basketball it all comes down to guards. DJ- check. Add a McDonald’s All American to run up the court and force the ball when he was a freshman? Check. And then Lewis comes in and you say, “It’s going to come together.”

At Marquette we have such expectations. We understand you don’t bring in a Wade or a Butler every year. But because athletes play at MU and go on to have great NBA careers (I watched Jae Crowder play today), I still believe that there is something in the water (or the beer) that turns a player that has an upside into a player that excels at his position. I know I’m rambling here.

What is my point? Smart walked in and lost DJ and the kid from Minnesota. Outside of those 3 Shaka had bench warmers and a couple of freshmen guards coming in. And they didn’t bail after the coaching change. I would give those freshman guards more pt. Stevie Mitchell can’t drive to the basket if he’s only getting one minute a game.

When he got more minutes he fumbled it off his leg and out of bounds.  He should be shooting 3s- he did that in high school. I saw it. And the kid from Iowa with the crazy hair should get more pt. He could be electric. None of the guards are exceptional.

I don’t expect MU to compete for another 2 years. I mean Big East Championship or Elite Eight. Smart will recruit well enough to improve the program. I have no doubt about that. Hey, we won big games already against good teams and we lost a few heart breakers.

Even though I understand we’re still 2 years away, my expectations are high. And no– Justin Lewis is not leaving next year.

edit: paragraphs are your friend.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 08:28:55 PM by mu_hilltopper »

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Just My Opinion
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 08:08:53 PM »
And no– Justin Lewis is not leaving next year.

Eh, that is not necessarily true.

What the old timers of scoop need to understand is this is not the NBA of the 80-2000's

The NBA has a legit minor league now, and a lot more money being put into player development. You no longer need to be NBA ready to get drafted. You need something they are looking for. Whether that be allstar caliber skill, body type, or a certain skill that has potential they will pick you up.

Henry Ellenson would not have been drafted after playing for 3 years for Marquette if he was playing in 2006, however I'm today's age, he was a guaranteed contract in the first round after his freshman year. He didn't pan out, the NBA doesn't care to much.

If Justin Lewis were to say the hell with college tomorrow, while he may not be drafted, he will get offers for the minor league.

Now will the nil do anything to change this? Maybe.

Merit Matters

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2021, 08:11:17 PM »
A year ago, when Wojo was still the coach, and when DJ Carton and Dawson Garcia were still on the team, I believed MU was 2 years away from really competing in the Big East and putting a team on the floor that could make the elite eight. The pieces were there, but they had to learn to play together and grow. Adding Justin Lewis was so important to the team’s ability to score from many spots on the floor. In college basketball it all comes down to guards. DJ- check. Add a McDonald’s All American to run up the court and force the ball when he was a freshman? Check. And then Lewis comes in and you say, “It’s going to come together.” At Marquette we have such expectations. We understand you don’t bring in a Wade or a Butler every year. But because athletes play at MU and go on to have great NBA careers (I watched Jae Crowder play today), I still believe that there is something in the water (or the beer) that turns a player that has an upside into a player that excels at his position. I know I’m rambling here. What is my point? Smart walked in and lost DJ and the kid from Minnesota. Outside of those 3 Shaka had bench warmers and a couple of freshmen guards coming in. And they didn’t bail after the coaching change. I would give those freshman guards more pt. Stevie Mitchell can’t drive to the basket if he’s only getting one minute a game. When he got more minutes he fumbled it off his leg and out of bounds.  He should be shooting 3s- he did that in high school. I saw it. And the kid from Iowa with the crazy hair should get more pt. He could be electric. None of the guards are exceptional. I don’t expect MU to compete for another 2 years. I mean Big East Championship or Elite Eight. Smart will recruit well enough to improve the program. I have no doubt about that. Hey, we won big games already against good teams and we lost a few heart breakers. Even though I understand we’re still 2 years away, my expectations are high. And no– Justin Lewis is not leaving next year.
Someone has had a little too much eggnog. Wojo and elite eight don’t belong in the same universe. It’s an insult to the NCAA tournament.
All Lives Matter

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2021, 08:32:00 PM »
I know sweet sixteen was more reasonable.  Not elite eight. And yes, I'm guilty of the nog. But Hey, it's my first time. I also remember a story when Al was coach. A player came to him and said I'm leaving after this year. And Al said why, you need another year. Not for me, not for Marquette, but you need to get better. And the player said "Coach, I don't have any food in my refrigerator." And Al said, "Go. Do it. And I'll do anything I can to help you."

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2021, 10:04:55 PM »
Oilcan I’m very glad you started posting. Keep it up.
Merry Christmas!

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2021, 11:17:14 PM »
Thank you for the encouragement DoctorV

I try to share what I know and remember and sometimes it doesn’t sit well with some people. And I know pro ball has changed the equation, especially as far as compensation. What Maurice Lucas made with Portland wouldn’t buy you an SUV today.

All Marquette fans feel bigger and better when high school recruits from Wisconsin sign with MU and stay at home. And of course, not with the demons who play over there in Madison. We can count Travis and Steve. And Vander Blue. Why did Diamond throw us over?  When Henry signed I danced around my living room. “We’ve got everything we need. We’ve got everything we need to win”, I told my wife. His freshman year he averaged 17 and 10. Henry was a bonafide college star and then he left. I don’t blame him for coming out. $1.5 million a year times 2. And then, who knows? He bounced around and then he’s in Europe or elsewhere.

And then there they are.  Or there they were. Sam & Joey. Sam, who thought he could be the next Steve Novak. And his younger brother Joey. It had us all jumping up and down, those guys and Theo John. Oh, and did forget Markus Howard? Next to us, our opponents were fluffy bunnies. I’m snapping my fingers. And then the Housers weren’t happy anymore. Sam left for Virginia to play for a Wisconsin native: Tony Bennett, who won a national championship, but is still a lounge singer in my book, much like Tony Bennett. I’m sorry if I’m starting to confuse you, because I’m confused too.

Anyway Sam left and then Joey left. For what? Michigan State.
I watch every Michigan State game I can and all I see Joey do is set screens. He does it well, I guess, but I don’t see him shooting threes and enjoying what he could have enjoyed here in Milwaukee.  He’s missing that crap, I’m sure.  I won’t dig into the Markus Howard deal   Not enough shots?  “Not comfortable in the situation?”  Go run off to Virginia and Michigan State. Go. Go. Go.
I wish so bad Michigan State would come to town so we could hold up signs that say "Joey Who?"  But I'm not bitter. We move on.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 08:45:30 AM »
Agreed, MU fans love the local kids and rightfully so!
That’s why I was such a huge Vander Blue and Wes Matthews fan- it’s no easy task to leave a Madison upbringing and choose Marquette, especially when both teams are fairly successful.
It is a slap in the face to the Badgers system compared to the more modern aged MU style.

Why did you chose the name Oilcan?

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 02:17:47 PM »
Hindsight is 20/20, always. However, who's to say that Garcia and Carton don't both leave even if Wojo stays? The reality remains is that Wojo-led teams developed a very frustrating and sad trend, especially the last three seasons, where the teams would regress as the seasons wore on. Furthermore the team never really made adjustments and the roster became a yearly turnover, plugging gaps with transfers from lower conferences that were not skilled enough for the Big East.

Above all, Wojo failed at developing a program identity (other than perhaps high-usage scoring guards with average to subpar team defense). 

I don't know the ceiling of Smart here at Marquette - frankly no one does. But it is irrefutable that an identity is being formed and that this year's team is full of youth that will only benefit from the rigorous schedule and quality of competition.  There should be zero regret about making the move from Wojo to Smart, respectively - and I say that in hopes Wojo gets another opportunity at a high-major gig. I do believe he learned a lot from his time here at MU.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2021, 02:43:40 PM »
The only way you start playing Stevie Mitchell more (unless the game is a blowout) is if it becomes clear we aren't making the NCAA.  I think Emarion can help and get some limited minutes without the above caveats.

I think* Stevie can become a solid player at MU, however with Sean Jones coming in - if he's the real deal as many believe he will be, Stevie might just become a backup or 3rd option at PG - Kolek being the backup, but also likely getting some minutes off the ball as a 2.

Too early to throw in the towel for the sake of getting our freshman more minutes.

panda

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 02:46:45 PM »
My only concern with Stevie is that he hasn’t shown any exceptional single skill so far and he is a smaller, below average athlete.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2021, 03:24:24 PM »
My only concern with Stevie is that he hasn’t shown any exceptional single skill so far and he is a smaller, below average athlete.
[/quote

Agreed, sometimes freshman realize they have issues in there game, Stevie has shown nothing lately, he needs the summer to play at this level.  What Wojo saw surprises me much like Ellis and Itejere.  Both are not ready either.  Texas would not have been happy with these recruits!  Hope these 3 stay, and improve as sophmores.  Transfer market is where Shaka has to go, better idea who can play at this level.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2021, 04:04:31 PM »

Agreed, sometimes freshman realize they have issues in there game, Stevie has shown nothing lately, he needs the summer to play at this level.  What Wojo saw surprises me much like Ellis and Itejere.  Both are not ready either.  Texas would not have been happy with these recruits!  Hope these 3 stay, and improve as sophmores.  Transfer market is where Shaka has to go, better idea who can play at this level.

Ellis wasn’t a Wojo recruit.  He’s a borderline top 100 guy, so he wasn’t some deep dive flier. Any school, including Texas, is happy with a top 100 guy.  That doesn’t mean they are ready to be a stud from day 1.

And while I have no problem with Wojo criticism, Mitchell was a consensus top 100 guy with a bunch of high major offers who was Mr BB in PA.  Wojo wasn’t the only one who saw plenty in him.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2021, 05:08:56 PM »
Stevie will be fine, he’s a freshman, these things take time

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2021, 05:12:50 PM »
The only way you start playing Stevie Mitchell more (unless the game is a blowout) is if it becomes clear we aren't making the NCAA.  I think Emarion can help and get some limited minutes without the above caveats.

I think* Stevie can become a solid player at MU, however with Sean Jones coming in - if he's the real deal as many believe he will be, Stevie might just become a backup or 3rd option at PG - Kolek being the backup, but also likely getting some minutes off the ball as a 2.

Too early to throw in the towel for the sake of getting our freshman more minutes.

Agree on most points but I think Tyler Kolek is our starting PG as long as he’s here barring injury.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2021, 05:18:36 PM »
Never ever ever give up on freshmen 13 games into their career.   A classic scoop cliche.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2021, 05:27:44 PM »
Agree on most points but I think Tyler Kolek is our starting PG as long as he’s here barring injury.

I tend to agree, yet the reports on Sean Jones sound as though he'll be a fantastic PG.  Regardless, a great "problem" to have, having two skilled PGs..something we haven't had at MU in a long time.

Never ever ever give up on freshmen 13 games into their career.   A classic scoop cliche.

Not sure if you wrote this in response to my post about Stevie/not playing the young guards big minutes right now, but if so I want to clarify that in no way was I suggesting giving up on him.  At all.  Simply stating that at present he's not ready, and we still have NCAA chances and no need to play for the future.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 08:53:24 AM by Elonsmusk »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2021, 06:19:51 PM »
Ellis wasn’t a Wojo recruit.  He’s a borderline top 100 guy, so he wasn’t some deep dive flier. Any school, including Texas, is happy with a top 100 guy.  That doesn’t mean they are ready to be a stud from day 1.

And while I have no problem with Wojo criticism, Mitchell was a consensus top 100 guy with a bunch of high major offers who was Mr BB in PA.  Wojo wasn’t the only one who saw plenty in him.
I think I stated Texas would not have been happy with his recruits ie. Ellis and Itejere.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2021, 09:01:31 PM »
I tend to agree, yet the reports on Sean Jones sound as though he'll be a fantastic PG.  Regardless, a great "problem" to have, having two skilled PGs..something we haven't had at MU in a long time.

Hope the reports on Sean are accurate. “Too much” talent at PG would indeed be a nice luxury.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2021, 09:14:28 PM »
They will have potential next year at both guard positions, practice will be interesting with all those bodies but unless he gets some meat upfront, they will be back in the pack as usual for MU.  Need a big transfer.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2021, 09:49:24 PM »
Sorry I didn’t respond sooner but I’ve been out shoveling snow. It was tough and then I fell down. My wife wouldn’t lift a finger to help me. She sat in the house drinking eggnog while I froze out there. I’m just lucky an Amazon guy came by to deliver my new bowling ball or I’d be dead. Enough of my problems.

I am so impressed with what goldenwarrior11 said earlier. About the program, under Wojo, and the future. He has it all into focus. Wojo, the Coach K disciple, who we expected to recruit good players because of his basketball cv, and win close games because of his “smarts” and not just his pedigree, disappointed me. He couldn’t coach.  All he did was stand there with his arms crossed. Could he recruit?  Well he got Carton out of “the” unnatural carnal knowledgeing Ohio State University, after he quit because he was depressed or something? He had personal problems and took a break. And came back to play for MU. I loved the guy. Best wishes for his future. Wojo got Garcia. A McDonald’s All American. Good job. I was happy. The guy was coached well up in Minnetonka (sic) but why didn’t Wojo get Jalen Suggs? From what I hear MU was this close. And I understand Suggs was only going to play for the one year. Why wouldn’t he play the Golden Eagles for a coach who was a pg in college and would help him develop? Goldenwarrior11 nailed it again when he said the roster became a yearly turnover, plugging gaps with unskilled transfers.

Developing a team identity is a hard. I’m not sure I’m ready to advise anyone how to do that?

I like Kolek. We’re lucky to have him. Is he the starter because he can handle the ball better than the other guys and creates assists? Or is it because he’s the only guard with division one experience? Obviously the cupboard was bare. Then you recruit guards to come in you say “Well, the first year you’ll come in for a few minutes a game and you’ll find your role on the team. Freshmen come in and say, “That’s alright. I just want to get out of my mom’s house.”  But Ellis and Mitchell are quality players. And they need more minutes. That’s how you create team identity. A young stud comes in and plays and believes he is where he can make a difference and excel with other teammates. I don’t remember a great player at MU that didn’t start as a freshman. Just look at Justin Lewis. If I’m not starting as a freshman, I’m looking somewhere else.

Hindsight is 20/20, always. The reality remains is that Wojo-led teams developed a very frustrating and sad trend, especially the last three seasons, where the teams would regress as the seasons wore on. Furthermore the team never really made adjustments and the roster became a yearly turnover, plugging gaps with transfers from lower conferences that were not skilled enough for the Big East.   I agree. I agree again.

Above all, Wojo failed at developing a program identity (other than perhaps high-usage scoring guards with average to subpar team defense).

I don't know the ceiling of Smart here at Marquette - frankly no one does. But it is irrefutable that an identity is being formed and that this year's team is full of youth that will only benefit from the rigorous schedule and quality of competition.  I believe Smart will lift MU up, drip by drip.  I did some cut and paste stuff here 'cause I agreed so much with what goldenwarrior11 said and I'll tell you I couldn't have said it any better. I'm going to listen to this character if you guys don't call security and throw me out of here.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2021, 10:15:22 PM »
Sorry I didn’t respond sooner but I’ve been out shoveling snow. It was tough and then I fell down. My wife wouldn’t lift a finger to help me. She sat in the house drinking eggnog while I froze out there. I’m just lucky an Amazon guy came by to deliver my new bowling ball or I’d be dead. Enough of my problems.

I am so impressed with what goldenwarrior11 said earlier. About the program, under Wojo, and the future. He has it all into focus. Wojo, the Coach K disciple, who we expected to recruit good players because of his basketball cv, and win close games because of his “smarts” and not just his pedigree, disappointed me. He couldn’t coach.  All he did was stand there with his arms crossed. Could he recruit?  Well he got Carton out of “the” unnatural carnal knowledgeing Ohio State University, after he quit because he was depressed or something? He had personal problems and took a break. And came back to play for MU. I loved the guy. Best wishes for his future. Wojo got Garcia. A McDonald’s All American. Good job. I was happy. The guy was coached well up in Minnetonka (sic) but why didn’t Wojo get Jalen Suggs? From what I hear MU was this close. And I understand Suggs was only going to play for the one year. Why wouldn’t he play the Golden Eagles for a coach who was a pg in college and would help him develop? Goldenwarrior11 nailed it again when he said the roster became a yearly turnover, plugging gaps with unskilled transfers.

Developing a team identity is a hard. I’m not sure I’m ready to advise anyone how to do that?

I like Kolek. We’re lucky to have him. Is he the starter because he can handle the ball better than the other guys and creates assists? Or is it because he’s the only guard with division one experience? Obviously the cupboard was bare. Then you recruit guards to come in you say “Well, the first year you’ll come in for a few minutes a game and you’ll find your role on the team. Freshmen come in and say, “That’s alright. I just want to get out of my mom’s house.”  But Ellis and Mitchell are quality players. And they need more minutes. That’s how you create team identity. A young stud comes in and plays and believes he is where he can make a difference and excel with other teammates. I don’t remember a great player at MU that didn’t start as a freshman. Just look at Justin Lewis. If I’m not starting as a freshman, I’m looking somewhere else.

Hindsight is 20/20, always. The reality remains is that Wojo-led teams developed a very frustrating and sad trend, especially the last three seasons, where the teams would regress as the seasons wore on. Furthermore the team never really made adjustments and the roster became a yearly turnover, plugging gaps with transfers from lower conferences that were not skilled enough for the Big East.   I agree. I agree again.

I don't know the ceiling of Smart here at Marquette - frankly no one does. But it is irrefutable that an identity is being formed and that this year's team is full of youth that will only benefit from the rigorous schedule and quality of competition.  I believe Smart will lift MU up, drip by drip.  I did some cut and paste stuff here 'cause I agreed so much with what goldenwarrior11 said and I'll tell you I couldn't have said it any better. I'm going to listen to this character if you guys don't call security and throw me out of here.

I hope you're okay oilcan.  Try to take it easy and not exert yourself too much.  The Shaka led Warriors will be okay despite two painful losses.  We need to learn how to finish games.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 10:38:02 PM by MuggsyB »

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2021, 10:35:20 PM »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2021, 07:10:01 AM »
I think I stated Texas would not have been happy with his recruits ie. Ellis and Itejere.

Which is why Texas and Shaka were poor fits for each other. Texas wants to be like Duke or Kentucky where they are a talent factory that rolls out the ball and wins while sending guys to the league. Shaka wants to win through system and development, more like a Villanova or Baylor approach.

Not saying one is right or wrong, all those programs have cut nets in the last decade, but there are clearly different approaches and you need the style of the coach to match with the expectations of the program.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2021, 07:24:33 AM »

I've been reading Scoop for a long time, and I'm not sure I've never read a paragraph quite like this one.

Just another example of how bowling has saved America, I guess.

Glad you're OK. We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2021, 08:03:15 AM »
Which is why Texas and Shaka were poor fits for each other. Texas wants to be like Duke or Kentucky where they are a talent factory that rolls out the ball and wins while sending guys to the league. Shaka wants to win through system and development, more like a Villanova or Baylor approach.

Not saying one is right or wrong, all those programs have cut nets in the last decade, but there are clearly different approaches and you need the style of the coach to match with the expectations of the program.

Yes, they have won championships, but you omitted UW which has had a very successful program the last 20 years and I sadly envy. Sometimes the truth really hurts.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2021, 09:05:26 AM »
I've been reading Scoop for a long time, and I'm not sure I've never read a paragraph quite like this one.

100%.  The visual of the Amazon driver handing the fallen shoveler a new bowling ball making all well in the world, while the fallen shoveler's wife was inside drinking egg nog?  Fantastic. 

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2021, 10:15:34 AM »

Indeed these Oilcan posts are definitely a slippery slope, pun intended, but the more the merrier!

Hope he’s not bruised up too badly, those muscles take a little longer to heal if you got to experience the Al era

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2021, 11:51:36 AM »
A year ago, when Wojo was still the coach, and when DJ Carton and Dawson Garcia were still on the team, I believed MU was 2 years away from really competing in the Big East and putting a team on the floor that could make the elite eight.

The pieces were there, but they had to learn to play together and grow. Adding Justin Lewis was so important to the team’s ability to score from many spots on the floor. In college basketball it all comes down to guards. DJ- check. Add a McDonald’s All American to run up the court and force the ball when he was a freshman? Check. And then Lewis comes in and you say, “It’s going to come together.”

At Marquette we have such expectations. We understand you don’t bring in a Wade or a Butler every year. But because athletes play at MU and go on to have great NBA careers (I watched Jae Crowder play today), I still believe that there is something in the water (or the beer) that turns a player that has an upside into a player that excels at his position. I know I’m rambling here.

What is my point? Smart walked in and lost DJ and the kid from Minnesota. Outside of those 3 Shaka had bench warmers and a couple of freshmen guards coming in. And they didn’t bail after the coaching change. I would give those freshman guards more pt. Stevie Mitchell can’t drive to the basket if he’s only getting one minute a game.

When he got more minutes he fumbled it off his leg and out of bounds.  He should be shooting 3s- he did that in high school. I saw it. And the kid from Iowa with the crazy hair should get more pt. He could be electric. None of the guards are exceptional.

I don’t expect MU to compete for another 2 years. I mean Big East Championship or Elite Eight. Smart will recruit well enough to improve the program. I have no doubt about that. Hey, we won big games already against good teams and we lost a few heart breakers.

Even though I understand we’re still 2 years away, my expectations are high. And no– Justin Lewis is not leaving next year.

edit: paragraphs are your friend.

If you're a top 40 pick, you should leave 9 times out of 10. Hes 35ish right now. Him getting drafted is only good for MU as a program. Wojo did it one time with a Mcdonalds all american game player, and he had 2 of them.

I am sure the transfer that comes in to his spot is nearly as good of a college player as him, but likely a less good pro prospect. And 2023 recruits commit to a program with real nba talent coming out of it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2021, 04:23:49 PM »
I also remember a story when Al was coach. A player came to him and said I'm leaving after this year. And Al said why, you need another year. Not for me, not for Marquette, but you need to get better. And the player said "Coach, I don't have any food in my refrigerator." And Al said, "Go. Do it. And I'll do anything I can to help you."

The guy you are referring to with the refrigerator was Jim Chones. Mr. Chones was a 6'11" center who arguably was one of the top players in the NCAA. During the 1971-1972 season, the NBA and American Basketball Association were engaged in a player war and the ABA offered Mr. Chones a very large contract that would not be replicated once the war was over. Al saw his Dad's refrigerator and told Mr. Chones to take the contract.

I think you may be mixing the stories of Larry McNeill, who needed another year, and Al said so. McNeill probably did and his professional career in the United States was limited. He did, however, have a great career overseas.

The one poster who argued today is very different than the 1980s is right on the money. It's extremely different. Mr. Ellenson in another time probably would have been with MU for three years. I personally believe Wojo expected Henry to be with us two years, as the second year team was built for the kind of success an Ellenson driven team would have.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2021, 05:17:04 PM »
The guy you are referring to with the refrigerator was Jim Chones. Mr. Chones was a 6'11" center who arguably was one of the top players in the NCAA. During the 1971-1972 season, the NBA and American Basketball Association were engaged in a player war and the ABA offered Mr. Chones a very large contract that would not be replicated once the war was over. Al saw his Dad's refrigerator and told Mr. Chones to take the contract.

I think you may be mixing the stories of Larry McNeill, who needed another year, and Al said so. McNeill probably did and his professional career in the United States was limited. He did, however, have a great career overseas.

The one poster who argued today is very different than the 1980s is right on the money. It's extremely different. Mr. Ellenson in another time probably would have been with MU for three years. I personally believe Wojo expected Henry to be with us two years, as the second year team was built for the kind of success an Ellenson driven team would have.

Brother dgies

Your recollection of the Jim Chones and Larry McNeil situations is spot on.

Regarding Ellenson, everything I ever heard said his plan was always to be one and done. Hard to believe Wojo expected him to be here for two years.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2021, 05:26:34 PM »
Lenny

I am 99.9% certain that Wojo knew Henry was going to be a one and done. There should not have been any planning for a second year of Henry.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2021, 05:29:30 PM »
I personally believe Wojo expected Henry to be with us two years, as the second year team was built for the kind of success an Ellenson driven team would have.

Maybe Wojo thought that about Wally, but I doubt he thought it about Henry.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

leever

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2021, 05:47:57 PM »
Brother dgies

Your recollection of the Jim Chones and Larry McNeil situations is spot on.

Regarding Ellenson, everything I ever heard said his plan was always to be one and done. Hard to believe Wojo expected him to be here for two years.

Larry McNeil was a fine player for Marquette, but would not have been any better as a pro if he stayed 1 more year.  He was good in the then Continental Basketball Association and in Europe, but was never going to be an elite NBA star.  1 more year at Marquette would have helped Marquette, but not Larry.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2021, 05:48:24 PM »

I think the fact that Wally had 2 years of eligibility is the reason some think that Henry staying another year was “part of the deal.” Wojo did seem to abruptly change course and essentially cut Wally which seemingly caught the Ellenson’s off guard (smoke and mirrors).

Maybe it was always the plan to lie to Ellenson’s regarding Wally being here for 2 years. Or maybe Wally was much worse than Wojo expected and he had to cut bait.

In any case, it’s another example of Wojo being bit in the ass by recruiting brothers.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2021, 05:49:22 PM »

The whole thing got blown up when he ran John Dawson off.  I heard he promised Henry he’d play with an elite PG for two years
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2021, 09:16:35 PM »
Thank you for the good wishes, my friends. I survived the snow bank episode and am resting comfortably. My wife said I should have listened to her when she said the National Weather Service issued an avalanche warning in my driveway. “Yes, dear. Of course you’re right dear.”

Let’s talk bb. And I won’t do any grousing tonight. The past is past. How do we get back to college bb relevance? What are the paths a team/program can take? Well, who’s always ranked int the top ten every year? Who wouldn’t want to sign 3 or 4 five star recruits every year like Duke & Kentucky? And it’s obvious these young men are going to be “one and done” and will move on because the money is there. I understand there are more opportunities in the NBA these days. I hear it here, and just this morning the Milwaukee paper had an article about it. I didn’t read it because you only get to read 5 articles a month unless you have a subscription. I not pulling out my credit card for that. People on this forum understand the changes and remind us why athletes come and go.

What is my point? How does Smart build a team that can win enough to meet the expectations we have, and resurrect our proud tradition? I’ll tell you right now. Duke and Kentucky don’t win championships. Gonzagna got rolled last year because Baylor had big guards who could defend the perimeter and shoot threes.  They pressed those Zags on the 3 point line chest to chest. And they could rebound.  They had better athletes. And they didn’t have 2 All Americans and Jalen Suggs. ?????  Villanova cut down the nets in 2016 and 2018 because Jay Wright learned the game from Rollie and knows how to adapt mid-game and finish out a game. That’s why he can sign some outstanding players. He has developed a culture where a player like Collin Gillespie comes back after a severe knee injury and doesn’t go pro– doesn’t even think about the risk he’s taking to play for what?  A championship in March. There have been many players in this program who practiced and played believing their effort would take them to the ladder under the rim when the game was over. And they would take their turn cutting down the net.

I don’t want a soft small forward who can shoot but can’t play defense. Unless you’re talking Bobby Dandridge or Jamal Wilkes. Give me Justin Lewis who is a power forward in a small forward body.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2021, 10:06:35 PM »
I don’t want a soft small forward who can shoot but can’t play defense. Unless you’re talking Bobby Dandridge or Jamal Wilkes. Give me Justin Lewis who is a power forward in a small forward body.

Interesting cause I think in the modern game, toughness aside, you want a SF in a PF’s body