[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2023 Team Outlook  (Read 174195 times)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
Re: 2022 Team Outlook
« Reply #1375 on: November 05, 2022, 03:40:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/MarquetteMBB/status/1588979791348527105?t=DvH0udNGuKepFBBajW3Rzg&s=19

This hype video worked for me. I can't recall the last time I was this excited for a Monday.
VIOLENCE!

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1376 on: November 05, 2022, 04:25:29 PM »
https://twitter.com/MarquetteMBB/status/1588979791348527105?t=DvH0udNGuKepFBBajW3Rzg&s=19

This hype video worked for me. I can't recall the last time I was this excited for a Monday.
I don't know our D is giving away too many dunks
Goal is National Championship

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1377 on: November 05, 2022, 04:28:52 PM »

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1378 on: November 07, 2022, 02:54:26 PM »
I know most don't like to look ahead because first and foremost is getting better this year, but someone's gotta do it!

Darryl and Kur will be gone. Justin could very well go pro. Greg has already been in College 5 years, will he want to stay a 6th?

That leaves us with:

1. Stevie (Diminished role as season progresses)
2. Emarion (Limited Role)
3. Joplin (Limited Role)
4. OMax (Diminished role as season progresses)
5. Kolek (Major role)
6. Kam (Major role)
7. Oso (Major role)
8. Keeyan (Redshirt)

Incoming are 2 guards Sean Jones and Chase Ross.

Stevie, Emarion, Kolek, and Jones all are best used as a PG and it's hard to see any of them sharing too much time on the court together. There are some solid returning pieces, but arguably more question marks than this year and of those 10 names only Oso is a real post. 

Seems like ever since...you know...let's just say 2014, we've been stuck in an endless cycle of rebuilding.

On the bright side, Justin and Greg could decide to stay and I trust Shaka to often utilize the transfer portal, but for a fanbase desperate to get back to relevance in March this is a reminder to be patient.

Interested to hear some other input. Concerns? Optimism? Encouragement? General thoughts?

Go Marquette!

First the good news Marquette’s 2022 Season mirrored 2020 But there was an NCAA tournament in 2022 and MU made that tournament. In 2024 MU should be gangbusters and win their first NCAA tournament game since the Old Big East. Bad news hope am wrong but MU will take one for the New Big East Conference in 2022-23 which is BS since again MU has not won an NCAA tournament game since the Old Big East. Disclaimer there is a window for MU to get to the Big Dance this year and I am excited for a Monday too.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 03:06:06 PM by MarquetteMike1977 »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1379 on: November 16, 2022, 12:52:14 PM »
On the other end are those (raises hand) who think he could have a breakout season and have more upside than JL.  As with most things, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Defensively perhaps, but JL was a 24% usage guy as a true frosh & 26% (w/29% %shots) last season.

As a true frosh, OMax has an 18% usage & last season just 16%.

I don’t see it

OMax’s usage at 16%. %shots only 12.8% but that’s impacted by high FTrate. He’ll have a couple of big games, but just not going to be a consistently high usage guy.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1380 on: November 16, 2022, 01:18:54 PM »
OMax’s usage at 16%. %shots only 12.8% but that’s impacted by high FTrate. He’ll have a couple of big games, but just not going to be a consistently high usage guy.

They don't need OMax to be high usage.  They need him to be high energy, high intensity, and a star in his role as Shaka says.

They have enough pieces to put points up. They just have to be stars in their roles to finish games. For OMax that likely means crashing the glass, cut to the rim, active hands and feet on defense.
VIOLENCE!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1381 on: November 22, 2022, 12:12:24 PM »
Joe Lunardi came out with a bracketology today (which is comical to say the least), but here's what he has as far as MU related teams.

2: Baylor
4: Creighton
6: UConn
7: Xavier
9: Villanova
9: Wisconsin
10: St. John's
10: Mississippi State
12: Seton Hall

Next Four Out: Notre Dame
VIOLENCE!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1382 on: November 26, 2022, 08:58:46 AM »
I was looking through some kenpom stats and noticed this guy who is starting for 6-0 Ole Miss:

Myles Burns
ORtg: 105.1
OReb: 11.9%
DReb: 13.6%
Stl%: 7.4%
PPG: 7.0
RPG: 6.0
SPG: 3.3

Not great numbers, but certainly a serviceable high-major player contributing to a winning team. So why highlight Burns? Because last year, he was the second best player on his college team. Burns was a great complimentary player on a team that won the NAIA Championship. That team was Loyola-New Orleans, and the best player on his team was Zach Wrightsil.

I have no idea what Wrightsil will do here once he's healthy, but I don't think his ability to contribute will be limited by not being good enough. Because the guy he played with is showing he's good enough to contribute at this level. This leads me to believe that the limitations we're seeing from Wrightsil in terms of movement and production is more down to not being healthy than not being good enough.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1383 on: November 26, 2022, 09:14:02 AM »
Joe Lunardi came out with a bracketology today (which is comical to say the least), but here's what he has as far as MU related teams.

2: Baylor
4: Creighton
6: UConn
7: Xavier
9: Villanova
9: Wisconsin
10: St. John's
10: Mississippi State
12: Seton Hall

Next Four Out: Notre Dame

Lunardi is like little kids- often funniest when they least intend to be.

I laughed hard when, in an exchange once with BIll Walton on TV, Walton referred to the lower part of Lunardi's bracket and asked why he was dealing with those "truck stop" conferences  ;D.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1384 on: November 26, 2022, 11:42:34 AM »
I was looking through some kenpom stats and noticed this guy who is starting for 6-0 Ole Miss:

Myles Burns
ORtg: 105.1
OReb: 11.9%
DReb: 13.6%
Stl%: 7.4%
PPG: 7.0
RPG: 6.0
SPG: 3.3

Not great numbers, but certainly a serviceable high-major player contributing to a winning team. So why highlight Burns? Because last year, he was the second best player on his college team. Burns was a great complimentary player on a team that won the NAIA Championship. That team was Loyola-New Orleans, and the best player on his team was Zach Wrightsil.

I have no idea what Wrightsil will do here once he's healthy, but I don't think his ability to contribute will be limited by not being good enough. Because the guy he played with is showing he's good enough to contribute at this level. This leads me to believe that the limitations we're seeing from Wrightsil in terms of movement and production is more down to not being healthy than not being good enough.

Maybe. But 1) Ole Miss has played one high major opponent, Stanford. And 2) there are countless cases of where one player is a standout at one level but at a level above that a former teammate is the one who translates much better to the higher level.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1385 on: November 26, 2022, 06:50:32 PM »
Wrightsil OUT again as anticipated.

Seems like he probably isn't going to get healthy. He'll be playing hurt all season and probably taking some "load management" days all season.
VIOLENCE!

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1386 on: November 26, 2022, 07:13:21 PM »

Seems like he probably isn't going to get healthy. He'll be playing hurt all season and probably taking some "load management" days all season.
So he is going to be JFB like?
Goal is National Championship

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #1387 on: November 26, 2022, 07:19:02 PM »

Why as anticipated?

Is it too late to injury redshirt😳😵‍💫

Is it too late to bring in an immediately eligible December dude?

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #1388 on: November 26, 2022, 07:27:02 PM »
Quote from: Newsdreams link=topic=62634.msg1483669#msg1483669 date=
So he is going to be JFB like?

Probably more Joe Fulce like.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1389 on: November 27, 2022, 12:33:04 AM »
I want to believe we have a chance on Tuesday, but I just can't get there. Baylor is just so strong.

Mississippi State is the one we needed to have to finish 8-3 or better I think.
VIOLENCE!

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #1390 on: November 27, 2022, 12:44:02 PM »
I want to believe we have a chance on Tuesday, but I just can't get there. Baylor is just so strong.

Mississippi State is the one we needed to have to finish 8-3 or better I think.

We will see where the program is after this week, both games will be tough, time to win a game against a good team.  Last year at this time UCLA came in and it was total blow out. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1391 on: November 27, 2022, 01:18:33 PM »
BC

This definitely is a good week to judge the progress of the program and we will see what happens. I stated, with confidence, T think they will be competitive with Baylor and have a chance to win the game and will beat UW on Saturday. What are your thoughts on the two upcoming games?

I know I am in the minority on here, but I think this team is further along than they were a year ago. IMO there more pieces to this team and the defense is far advanced over last year.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1392 on: November 27, 2022, 01:50:32 PM »
Yep. This is kinda a make or break it week for the team. They need to at least go 1-1. They are projected 0.84 wins on KP. 29% chance vs Baylor and 55% vs UW.

Overall, in efficiency and ability, team feels a lot like last year's team. They just have happened to play better teams than we ever played last year. @ Purdue and a on a neutral court vs Miss St. are significantly stronger opponents than home to Kofi-less Illinois. Luckily it looks like Purdue and Miss St are still a little better than even i thought they were in the preseason. Baylor is as strong or stronger than that UCLA too. It is going to take a special offensive performance for Marquette to win. I don't know if they can if Baylor gets Oso into any foul trouble.

We are probably slightly further along than we were last year. The problem is, we don't have the wins, and the wins arn't clearly in sight without going  3-1 to end the the non con. It is possible but we are only projected to go 2.18-1.82. I know shaka didn't really have control in scheduling thus far, but i wish Marquette did a better job scheduling power conference teams/ near power conference teams that we are actually better than.

Like i would love if Marquette scheduled one extra home and home a with one of the teams we played a preseason game against.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #1393 on: November 27, 2022, 01:50:57 PM »
Baylor will be interesting, bigger game for MU, have a chance.  Badgers will control the pace which means possessions are important. MU will have to play better in last 5 minutes of the game, not sure they can as of now.  Have to be impressed with Gard.  Should have beaten Kansas. Essegian can not be left open, reminds of Herro with a better shot, confidence off the charts.  Difference maker. 

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1394 on: November 27, 2022, 02:02:04 PM »
BC

This definitely is a good week to judge the progress of the program and we will see what happens. I stated, with confidence, T think they will be competitive with Baylor and have a chance to win the game and will beat UW on Saturday. What are your thoughts on the two upcoming games?

I know I am in the minority on here, but I think this team is further along than they were a year ago. IMO there more pieces to this team and the defense is far advanced over last year.

2 completely different challenges.  Baylor is just flat out better. UW is better at finding ways to win.

I think Baylor will be a comfortable loss, meaning they pretty much go wire to wire against us.  We will probably have a lead against UW at some point, and it will come down to how we finish. Last year we lead shortly after halftime in Madison and just completely folded to their ability to close.
VIOLENCE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1395 on: November 27, 2022, 02:18:54 PM »
We will see where the program is after this week, both games will be tough, time to win a game against a good team.  Last year at this time UCLA came in and it was total blow out.

After getting blown out by UCLA, and then following with losses in our first three conference games, one might have thought we would have seen where the program was -- and it sure seemed things were in rough shape.

But we ended up having a great January and making the NCAA Tournament despite having gotten blown out by UCLA.

Yep. This is kinda a make or break it week for the team.

Last season, when we went 1-5 from Dec. 4 to Jan. 1, it looked like a make-or-break month for us ... with the verdict being that we were broken.

Until we weren't.

UW is better at finding ways to win.
Unless the opposing coach is Wojo.

Gard and Bo managed to "find ways to win" only 3 times in 7 attempts against The Worst Coach in Basketball History.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 02:22:06 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1396 on: November 27, 2022, 02:26:17 PM »

Gard and Bo managed to "find ways to win" only 3 times in 7 attempts against The Worst Coach in Basketball History.

Yet another proof of God’s existence and the fact that miracles do happen - thanks, Mike!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1397 on: November 27, 2022, 02:37:59 PM »
After getting blown out by UCLA, and then following with losses in our first three conference games, one might have thought we would have seen where the program was -- and it sure seemed things were in rough shape.

But we ended up having a great January and making the NCAA Tournament despite having gotten blown out by UCLA.

Last season, when we went 1-5 from Dec. 4 to Jan. 1, it looked like a make-or-break month for us ... with the verdict being that we were broken.

Until we weren't.

And, Bo was so embarrassed he lost, he retired the next day.

I wonder how Zags Scoop is doing today?

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1398 on: November 27, 2022, 02:41:37 PM »
And, Bo was so embarrassed he lost, he retired the next day.

I wonder how Zags Scoop is doing today?

Bo Ryan quit on the badgers after the university conspired against his mistress for him.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1399 on: November 27, 2022, 03:04:49 PM »
Bo Ryan quit on the badgers after the university conspired against his mistress for him.

Everyone, including his family, knew he was banging tail all over the state. That wasn't enough embarrassment to quit. Losing to Wojo, though?  That was not only enough to quit but to high tail it out of the state like Napoleon to Elba.