'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Team Outlook  (Read 176942 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: 2022 Team Outlook
« Reply #675 on: August 04, 2022, 04:21:41 PM »
My rival high school had a  guard who played a little for Michigan State. I "guarded" him for a couple of quarters. Our junior year he scored 20

on me in the second quarter.  Senior year we head a box in one, yeah he still went off for 48 in the game in 3 quarters. He was not known for his defense, but he still held our best player , who went Juco, and then walked on at Indiana State, to single digits both years.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #676 on: August 04, 2022, 04:31:56 PM »
To me, that felt like one of the most automatic things last season once conference play got up and rolling. If someone passed to Kolek and he was set, he was going to make it. If he pulled up off the dribble, it was gonna be ugly. The one exception I remember was the home game against 'Nova, when Shaka told him not to be an a**hole after arguing with the ref over a call. TK proceeded to make a steal, go coast-to-coast for a layup, and said to Shaka "Can I be an a**hole now?" On the next possession, he hit a three off the dribble and said "What about now?"

I know he made a couple others off the dribble, but that's the only one I remember vividly.
I think most of the time Kolek shot off the dribble was due to him having no one to pass to. He often drove with the idea of dropping the ball off to a center or kicking it out to a three-point shooter. He ended up shooting as a last resort. Very frustrating when he missed layups.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #677 on: August 04, 2022, 05:02:26 PM »
Ever watched the end of a blowout game when the walk ons get subbed in? Ever notice that even though the other team isn't trying and often has their walk ons and scrubs in, they still struggle to score? Those walk ons are better than the vast majority of kids at the rec center.

I lived in freshmen dorms with a guy that was a walk on at my alma mater.  He used to RUN Rec Center games.  Dunk on everyone's head, sky for alley oops, catch block shots out of mid air, all at about 6'3.   He played about 4 minutes total his first 2 seasons..on a mid major level team that would comfortably finish dead last in the Big East

My rival high school had a  guard who played a little for Michigan State. I "guarded" him for a couple of quarters. Our junior year he scored 20 on me in the second quarter.  Senior year we head a box in one, yeah he still went off for 48 in the game in 3 quarters. He was not known for his defense, but he still held our best player , who went Juco, and then walked on at Indiana State, to single digits both years.

My senior year roommate was in HS conference with Rajon Rondo.  Said Roommate was all conference in basketball and football.  He talked about "blocking" Rondo's jumper when sort of bobbled on a catch and shoot.  He woofed at him a bit and Rondo started calling for switches onto him and put up 15 before the end of the first quarter.

His younger brother got D2 looks but no D1 sniffs and ended up playing football as a preferred walkon at an SEC school.  One of the best shooters Ive ever seen on the court.  Any semi-open jumper in a pickup game was buried...but thats still not good enough to play D-1.

So yea, people thinking MU students could shoot 30% in conference are the same ones who think they could score on an NBA player given enough possessions.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #678 on: August 04, 2022, 05:59:53 PM »
I dunked at the Helfaer once.
Didn't I posterize you once?
Goal is National Championship

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #679 on: August 04, 2022, 06:48:57 PM »
I think it has more to do with the fact that there are a handful of students in open gyms at Marquette that can shoot 28% from three and 37% from the field

People that say or think things like this have zero understanding of how good all of these player are, and how much the level of competition and pace of the defense impacts both performance overall and shooting ability.

I've played pick up games with D1 players that were "bad shooters" that in a rec center/pickup game against normal people looked like Steph Curry.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #680 on: August 04, 2022, 07:00:05 PM »
I think it’s funny when people think D1 level players are playing at more than 50% of their max ability when playing against us ordinary folks. One of my best friends played at OSU and we played together quite a bit in our late 20s. I understood that anytime I tried too hard and did something good against him I was going to pay for it…and I did. I’ve played against NBA guys both before and after their careers…they were playing at about 25% speed (clearly kind of just going through the motions) and were unstoppable. Names you would know.  They are other-worldly.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #681 on: August 04, 2022, 07:05:59 PM »
Didn't I posterize you once?

The only posterizing you did was with your Farrah Fawcett placard in your dorm room.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #682 on: August 04, 2022, 08:11:41 PM »
I've been on the sidelines for 2 NFL games, and the game is stupid fast and the players are giants. Just shockingly different from major college football. But I will say, Tim Tebow looked awful in warm up. He was bouncing passes in warm ups. I don't know how he ever got in the NFL or even in an NFL camp. 

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #683 on: August 04, 2022, 08:26:12 PM »
Man, I was never in the student section but I don't think there was any abuse in the 68-72 era. The guys were adored. I guess it was a simpler time.

As for Kolek, I thought he did a great job being asked to do what he hadn't done before. Man, he had a ton of dimes. With different personnel, and different responsibilities and roles, I think Kolek is set to have a nice year. If so, perhaps the FU tour will be going in the other direction.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #684 on: August 04, 2022, 09:00:42 PM »
The only posterizing you did was with your Farrah Fawcett placard in your dorm room.
Farrah? Nah more like Ginger Lynn, more of a JB flow....
Goal is National Championship

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #685 on: August 04, 2022, 09:07:52 PM »
Man, I was never in the student section but I don't think there was any abuse in the 68-72 era. The guys were adored. I guess it was a simpler time.

As for Kolek, I thought he did a great job being asked to do what he hadn't done before. Man, he had a ton of dimes. With different personnel, and different responsibilities and roles, I think Kolek is set to have a nice year. If so, perhaps the FU tour will be going in the other direction.

+1, I really like the guy's game and it's inevitable that the shots start falling. MU is a lot more fun to watch with pass-first PG running the team.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #686 on: August 04, 2022, 11:03:07 PM »
I've been on the sidelines for 2 NFL games, and the game is stupid fast and the players are giants. Just shockingly different from major college football. But I will say, Tim Tebow looked awful in warm up. He was bouncing passes in warm ups. I don't know how he ever got in the NFL or even in an NFL camp.
I would still love to see the college champ play an NFL squad. From my comfortable couch, seems like the gap is closing, at least with the Bears

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #687 on: August 04, 2022, 11:21:39 PM »
Ever watched the end of a blowout game when the walk ons get subbed in? Ever notice that even though the other team isn't trying and often has their walk ons and scrubs in, they still struggle to score? Those walk ons are better than the vast majority of kids at the rec center.

Those walk ons are vastly better then everyone at the rec center.

In my life I reffed one dude who was heads over heels better then everyone else who touched that court. He was a d1 walk on.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #688 on: August 04, 2022, 11:55:51 PM »
And your seeming inability to know how talented one has to be to start at a high major confounds me.
be confounded

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #689 on: August 05, 2022, 05:43:12 AM »
I would still love to see the college champ play an NFL squad. From my comfortable couch, seems like the gap is closing, at least with the Bears

They use to have the NFL Champs play the College all stars in late July, but I guess with risk of injury and high salaries they stopped playing the game.

CTEagle91

• Walk-On
« Reply #690 on: August 05, 2022, 06:54:36 AM »
Every rec league and college gym in the country has older guys who can shoot the lights out... But they are older. The game is MUCH slower. And the defense is ridiculous and undisciplined. No comparison to a D1 college game.
I can't understand why any MU fan would criticize Tyler or any of our guys. They are doing the best they can, its not Kolek's fault that he was starting and not putting up better numbers. It is a great credit to him. If we had a better pg Tyler would have played less. Whats the basis for criticism? Don't we all want our team to succeed?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #691 on: August 05, 2022, 07:35:50 AM »
They use to have the NFL Champs play the College all stars in late July, but I guess with risk of injury and high salaries they stopped playing the game.

I can't imagine in today's game that an NFL team would let their rookies out of camp for a couple of weeks to prepare for a game like that anymore.

Last one was in 1976.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #692 on: August 05, 2022, 12:42:33 PM »
Pro Bowl needs to become extinct as well...

I can't imagine in today's game that an NFL team would let their rookies out of camp for a couple of weeks to prepare for a game like that anymore.

Last one was in 1976.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #693 on: August 07, 2022, 09:45:28 AM »
LOL! Even the Bears (who will be very lucky to win 3 games this year) would kick the crap out of the college champs. I'd say an 0-17 NFL team would beat Alabama 10 out of 10 by an average score of 52-7.

Think about if you had an team of the 1st & 2nd round players from the draft, i.e. the very best of the best of college, versus the worst NFL team; I don't think Vegas would even put a line on that game. 

As a Bears fan, I would love to see them loose to a college team as a cold hard dose of reality.

lessthannick11

• Team Captain
« Reply #694 on: August 10, 2022, 11:38:46 AM »
Well this sucks

Ben Steele

@BenSteeleMJS
·
9m

Marquette summer injury news: Rising soph guard Emarion Ellis had surgery this week for a stress fracture in knee. For bone to heal is four months, then more time to rehab and get basketball-ready. Shaka Smart said redshirting has been discussed, but decision is Ellis'. #mubb

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #695 on: August 10, 2022, 12:30:34 PM »
Ugh.  Sounds like late January at the earliest.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #696 on: August 10, 2022, 12:47:19 PM »
Unfortunate news for Ellis, but won't change the team outlook much.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #697 on: August 10, 2022, 12:54:17 PM »

Agreed. If anything it answers some early season question marks by default.

Kolek/Jones
Jones/Mitchell
Wrightsil/Ross
Prosper/Joplin
Ighodaro/Gold/Itejere

Every position has a backup that will get real minutes. I think Ross and Mitchell are going to be spitting images of each other with Stevie being slightly more advanced defensively and Ross giving slightly more offensively because of his burst and bounce. This is going to be an absolute pest of a defense. Just need to find out who's going to score the basketball.
VIOLENCE!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #698 on: August 10, 2022, 12:55:08 PM »

Unless there are more injuries.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #699 on: August 10, 2022, 01:10:16 PM »
Just need to find out who's going to score the basketball.

I am MUCH more worried about rebounding. I don’t think scoring will be an issue
Bring back FFP!!!

feedback