'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2023 Team Outlook  (Read 174341 times)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
2023 Team Outlook
« on: December 18, 2021, 10:57:02 PM »
I know most don't like to look ahead because first and foremost is getting better this year, but someone's gotta do it!

Darryl and Kur will be gone. Justin could very well go pro. Greg has already been in College 5 years, will he want to stay a 6th?

That leaves us with:

1. Stevie (Diminished role as season progresses)
2. Emarion (Limited Role)
3. Joplin (Limited Role)
4. OMax (Diminished role as season progresses)
5. Kolek (Major role)
6. Kam (Major role)
7. Oso (Major role)
8. Keeyan (Redshirt)

Incoming are 2 guards Sean Jones and Chase Ross.

Stevie, Emarion, Kolek, and Jones all are best used as a PG and it's hard to see any of them sharing too much time on the court together. There are some solid returning pieces, but arguably more question marks than this year and of those 10 names only Oso is a real post. 

Seems like ever since...you know...let's just say 2014, we've been stuck in an endless cycle of rebuilding.

On the bright side, Justin and Greg could decide to stay and I trust Shaka to often utilize the transfer portal, but for a fanbase desperate to get back to relevance in March this is a reminder to be patient.

Interested to hear some other input. Concerns? Optimism? Encouragement? General thoughts?

Go Marquette!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 06:52:34 PM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

DoctorV

• All American
Re: 2022 Team Outlook
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 07:25:52 AM »
We’re fu*ked

fjm

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 07:33:04 AM »
DePaulquette University

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 08:39:11 AM »
I see one transfer in the group or even 2.  So they will be able to bring in a big and another forward otherwise it will really look like a long season.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 08:42:09 AM »
I see one transfer in the group or even 2.  So they will be able to bring in a big and another forward otherwise it will really look like a long season.

Agreed.  Everyone panicking about next years roster needs to relax.  Worry about that next summer
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 08:51:12 AM »
I find it insane to be discussing next season outlook at this time. I am fairly confident that there will be 4+ new players on the team next year and until the roster is finalized it is impossible to even discuss what next year looks like.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 08:54:36 AM »
I find it insane to be discussing next season outlook at this time. I am fairly confident that there will be 4+ new players on the team next year and until the roster is finalized it is impossible to even discuss what next year looks like.

Yep.  We will have transfers in and transfers out.  Discussing next year is really premature.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2021, 09:22:15 AM »
Butt, if da world kums two an end, der won't bea a next season, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2021, 11:11:35 AM »
I'll be surprised to see Justin Lewis go pro. Test the waters, sure. But pull the trigger? I don't see it. Then again,

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2021, 11:44:44 AM »
Sean Jones is the only one that projects exclusively as a point. Kolek is a natural 2 that can create and has been forced into that role on this team. Stevie, Ellis, and Kam Jones all have the athleticism and length to function 1-3. But generally, I expect those five (and Ross) to fill the 1/2 spots.

On the wings, if Lewis isn't back, it's Joplin and O-Max. This is where we need the most help. Hopefully another proven scorer or two.

Up front I feel most confident. Oso will be fine and Keeyan can slide into the 10-15 minute backup position.

Without wing help, we probably go small a bit with Jones and Ellis taking the Morsell role, which is fine. End of the day, the best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores, and we have a lot of freshmen.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2021, 11:58:31 AM »
"Seems like ever since...you know...let's just say 2014, we've been stuck in an endless cycle of rebuilding"

This is where I get a little disillusioned with this year's team and the possibility for next year. We will probably finish in the bottom half of the Big East this year, and the incoming recruits are not difference makers, at least according to their recruiting rankings. Unless we find some shooters from the transfer portal, we could struggle again next year. Then we are essentially still rebuilding in year 3 and 4 - how long is this rebuild going to take???

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2021, 12:00:28 PM »
I'll be surprised to see Justin Lewis go pro. Test the waters, sure. But pull the trigger? I don't see it. Then again,

Agreed, but transferring is more likely. Poaching is rampant with the Portal, coaches likely already have him targeted and are communicating through his AAU and HS coaches about NBA development and claiming that Shaka can’t get him there as a 4.

That said, Shaka and staff should be targeting a PG to pursue via the Portal.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

hawk

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2021, 12:01:25 PM »
Not to worried about next season.  Assuming Lewis stays, Omax  and Joplin need to grow up this season to be 3/4 combination forwards.  When I look at Joplin I see a Kerry trotter type 3.  That makes Kam and Kolek the guards.  Smart just needs to get two bigs to go with Igadoro w2ho I think is making good progress as a 4/5.  No worries, enjoy this season.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2021, 12:02:17 PM »
How much bread ya got, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2021, 12:07:30 PM »
Agreed, but transferring is more likely. Poaching is rampant with the Portal, coaches likely already have him targeted and are communicating through his AAU and HS coaches about NBA development and claiming that Shaka can’t get him there as a 4.

That said, Shaka and staff should be targeting a PG to pursue via the Portal.

He isn't playing a 4.   He is playing all over the place, shooting 3's, taking it to the rack, taki h advantage of mismatches.   He is playing a complete forward game.

For better or for worse, he is a tweener at the college level.   It is difficult to predict how that plays in the league.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2021, 12:18:47 PM »
He isn't playing a 4.   He is playing all over the place, shooting 3's, taking it to the rack, taki h advantage of mismatches.   He is playing a complete forward game.

For better or for worse, he is a tweener at the college level.   It is difficult to predict how that plays in the league.

And that’s what poacher coaches are going to approaching him on.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2021, 12:58:41 PM »
Maybe Shaka does some poaching, too.

Angst about next season. Perfectly Scooptastic.

What about the 2032-33 season? Coach Rowsey coaches effen D like he played it!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2021, 12:59:27 PM »
Maybe Shaka does some poaching, too.

Angst about next season. Perfectly Scooptastic.

What about the 2032-33 season? Coach Rowsey coaches effen D like he played it!
Inexcusable!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2021, 01:03:17 PM »
Sean Jones is the only one that projects exclusively as a point. Kolek is a natural 2 that can create and has been forced into that role on this team. Stevie, Ellis, and Kam Jones all have the athleticism and length to function 1-3. But generally, I expect those five (and Ross) to fill the 1/2 spots.

On the wings, if Lewis isn't back, it's Joplin and O-Max. This is where we need the most help. Hopefully another proven scorer or two.

Up front I feel most confident. Oso will be fine and Keeyan can slide into the 10-15 minute backup position.

Without wing help, we probably go small a bit with Jones and Ellis taking the Morsell role, which is fine. End of the day, the best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores, and we have a lot of freshmen.

Technically any guard could play the 2 sure, but Mitchell, Jones, Kolek, Ellis are all best served playing the true PG spot.

2 and 3 guards need to be able to score from outside and at the rim in the Big East. Those 4 are primarily distributors and can't be passing to other guys looking to pass.
VIOLENCE!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2021, 01:10:36 PM »
Technically any guard could play the 2 sure, but Mitchell, Jones, Kolek, Ellis are all best served playing the true PG spot.

Hard disagree. Kam Jones is unquestionably a 2. Tyler Kolek is absolutely a 2, which is why George Mason played him there last year despite having to platoon their PG position. Ellis right now plays like more of a wing.

Stevie, maybe, but Sean Jones is the only one locked into that position.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2021, 01:12:02 PM »
We should poach Brad Davison
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2021, 01:13:51 PM »
Agreed.  Everyone panicking about next years roster needs to relax.  Worry about that next summer

I'm not necessarily worried, just interested.  I enjoy looking at the bigger picture. How we look now, how we look next year, how we look the year after that. It's all intriguing, especially now with the portal.

Ideally you want to see improvement year to year but with the way things are just a nice little reminder to be patient because it may take a good while to get back to where we want to be.
VIOLENCE!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2021, 01:18:25 PM »
Hard disagree. Kam Jones is unquestionably a 2. Tyler Kolek is absolutely a 2, which is why George Mason played him there last year despite having to platoon their PG position. Ellis right now plays like more of a wing.

Stevie, maybe, but Sean Jones is the only one locked into that position.

When I say Jones, I'm talking Sean.

Kam is definitely a 2, he's locked into that spot for 4 years.

Mitchell, Sean Jones, Kolek, Ellis are quite clearly to me best served as PGs. They could play 2s at times, but I don't think you feel comfortable with Mitchell, Kolek, Ellis as your 2 guards
VIOLENCE!

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2021, 01:52:58 PM »

Apparently, it’s never too early to pant piss for some….

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2021, 02:22:04 PM »
Hard disagree. Kam Jones is unquestionably a 2. Tyler Kolek is absolutely a 2, which is why George Mason played him there last year despite having to platoon their PG position.

Agree 100% about Kam. He's a 2, he's got very nice form on his shot, and I think he's gonna be a real good player for the program.

As for for Kolek, he was a PG his entire life until last season. He sees the court like a PG. And he's neither a good enough outside shooter nor basket slasher to be a 2. Maybe a combo guard, but I think PG. And so does Shaka, it would appear.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson