Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: All Time Transfers  (Read 4541 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: All Time Transfers
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2021, 02:53:00 PM »
Waaaaay?

Jae was BE POY as a senior (2011-12), and that definitely carries a lot of weight.

But in 2010-11, Jae was Pippen to Jimmy's Jordan. Jimmy was better than Jae in almost every category; Jae came off the bench in more than half the games because Buzz was concerned about fouls. They both played well offensively in our run to the Sweet 16, but it was Jimmy who shut down both Tu Holloway and Scoop Jardine.

In Jimmy's junior season (2009-10), in addition to averaging 3 more points than Jae did as a junior, he hit 2 buzzer-beating winners to just about singlehandedly get us into the NCAA tournament. Jimmy was a valuable sub the previous year, too.

Again, Jae won POY and Jimmy was never more than All-BE honorable mention (which seems impossible in retrospect), and that certainly matters. But IMHO Jimmy's body of work as a Warrior refutes that he was "waaaaay" behind Jae, and one could make a pretty good argument that Jimmy's BOW was at least as good as Jae's BOW.
Jimmy had 3 seasons.  If you compare their first seasons, Jae was much better.  Jae’s other (senior) season eclipses either of Jimmy’s other seasons.  All depends how you look at things.  No knock on Jimmy.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2021, 03:12:52 PM »
Dudley is a Praire School alum, not U School, aina?
You are probably correct.
Too many years ago.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2021, 03:17:01 PM »
Jimmy had 3 seasons.  If you compare their first seasons, Jae was much better.  Jae’s other (senior) season eclipses either of Jimmy’s other seasons.  All depends how you look at things.  No knock on Jimmy.

Yes, it all depends how you look at things. I think it's more "fair" to compare each player's junior season at Marquette, each player's senior season, and each player's body of work. And I can understand a conclusion that, maybe, Jae gets the edge based on POY as a senior. I'm having trouble with the "waaaay." No knock on Jae! Loved 'em both!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2021, 03:44:43 PM »
Yes, it all depends how you look at things. I think it's more "fair" to compare each player's junior season at Marquette, each player's senior season, and each player's body of work. And I can understand a conclusion that, maybe, Jae gets the edge based on POY as a senior. I'm having trouble with the "waaaay." No knock on Jae! Loved 'em both!
We’ll just have to agree to disagree.Seems fairer to compare their first seasons given the need to transition to Div l as well as assimilating into the program.  Jae just did not have that extra middle season.    But, glad we had them both!

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2021, 04:01:29 PM »
Jimmy was better at getting into the headlines (or having MU have to scramble to keep it out of the headlines) for off court stuff than Jae was while he was at MU.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2021, 04:19:08 PM »
Let's have a little re-set. It all starts with #4 Benny Moore!! Brought a bit of excitement to Rick's dark ages. After that David Boone and Robert Jackson.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2021, 04:39:38 PM »
#4 Benny Moore was a great, great guy. How about Jay Zulauf? In Rick’s doghouse from day one.

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2021, 05:11:12 PM »
For you youngsters its:

Jim Boylan
Ulice Payne

#'s 1 & 2 with everyone else mentioned above listed below these two -  I'm not sure MU wins the 77 Championship without them.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2021, 05:41:06 PM »
For you youngsters its:

Jim Boylan
Ulice Payne

#'s 1 & 2 with everyone else mentioned above listed below these two -  I'm not sure MU wins the 77 Championship without them.

Possibly without Ulice. Zero chance without Jimmy.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2021, 06:11:44 PM »
#4 Benny Moore was a great, great guy. How about Jay Zulauf? In Rick’s doghouse from day one.
Jay Zulauf was a KO guy.  Had several classes with him.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2021, 06:35:54 PM »
For you youngsters its:

Jim Boylan
Ulice Payne

They won without UP. He had a separated/dislocated right shoulder for the entire Tourney. Didn't even put on his uni, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2021, 07:10:52 PM »
It’s unfortunate Joe Fulce didn’t make the list, but I remember reports coming in that he was the better of the transfers in when compared to Jimmy.

I’ve always said that JFB was one of the players in any sport that improved from year to year more than anyone I’ve ever seen- what he became from year 1, to year 2 and then year 3 at MU was astounding. Still, I remember thinking that he wasn’t going to be a very good NBA player when the Bulls copped in the draft.

Then, he wasn’t very good in Chicago at first but the NBA player he became from year 1 to year 2 and beyond was again astounding.

That said, my mind has it that Jae was the more dominant MU player, and that’s because of his one monster season. Jae was an absolute beast defensively, and averaged more points and rebounds in that one season than JFB in his best season. Also, Jae just felt like a bigger difference maker/game changer with his defense and overall presence on the court, despite some big memorable moments for Jimmy.

Lets get to DJO though- that dude was awesome and I feel never gets enough credit in MU history folklore. I was surprised that his 3P shooting percentage wasn’t as impressive as I remembered when I just looked it up, but DJO could ball, he was a pretty elite scorer in his final season.

If there’s one player in MU history that I feel almost never gets his due it’s Jerel McNeal- that dude was was better than he’s ever given credit for. Vander Blue is honorable mention here.
DJO may be the transfer version of that if we are counting Jucos

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2021, 07:21:31 PM »
Dont know my transfers pre 88 so it goes

JFB
Rob Jax
R Curry
DJO

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2021, 07:41:05 PM »

They won without UP. He had a separated/dislocated right shoulder for the entire Tourney. Didn't even put on his uni, hey?
Yeah, he missed a bunch of that  stretch run to get an invite as well.  Boylan was obviously huge.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2021, 08:23:18 PM »
For you youngsters its:

Jim Boylan
Ulice Payne

Ulice Payne was hurt, so he did not play in championship game. I am not sure if he played in any of the NCAA tournament games.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2021, 08:54:56 PM »
Ulice Payne was hurt, so he did not play in championship game. I am not sure if he played in any of the NCAA tournament games.
He missed the last 10 games of the year, which is far more than the tournament.

feedback