'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Greg Elliott and the wash.  (Read 3319 times)

DoctorV

• All American
Greg Elliott and the wash.
« on: December 11, 2021, 10:31:18 PM »
Amazing performance, thank you.

Single handedly might have gained Marquette 5-10 spots in the NET as that woulda been a 30 point loss.

Everything else was trash, but everything else can be forgotten.

The computers will now view this as as nearly a wash when we all know it was otherwise. (Shaka shouldn’t have fouled late)

That’s why the computer systems have major flaws.

Lets go get an improbable win at the Cintas Center over Xavier.

MU82

• All American
Re: Greg Elliott and the wash.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 10:38:23 PM »
We had a lot of Scoopers who were willing to just throw Elliott away, as if 45% 3-point shooters just fall out of the sky.

Greg singlehandedly made this a respectable game, and Shaka was smart to start him in the second half.

He has limitations, and he's not a 30+ minute guy, but you have to have players who can knock down 3s.

As far as proven 3-point shooters go, the 2021-22 Marquette Golden Warrior Eagles have exactly 1 of those.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 10:41:04 PM »
The computers don't have many flaws.  MU isn't that good this year, and that's what we've been told we should expect.

Shaka wanted to go young* and go with a process, other new coaches went the easier path. 

* It does also bug me that we count 4 of our Sophomores as Freshman, I haven't seen many other teams playing this game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 10:45:27 PM »
The computers don't have many flaws.  MU isn't that good this year, and that's what we've been told we should expect.

Shaka wanted to go young* and go with a process, other new coaches went the easier path. 

* It does also bug me that we count 4 of our Sophomores as Freshman, I haven't seen many other teams playing this game.

I actually have seen that quite a bit around the country, rocky. But it does sound funny to call a guy who averaged 31 mpg last season a "redshirt freshman."

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 10:46:12 PM »
A lot of season left.  The start of conference play is now.
Need to work on scoring against a zone.
No secret now.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 10:46:22 PM »

Nope, they don’t have many, but they have one big one.

Anyone who saw this game with their 2 eyes knows MU should have lost by a much bigger margin and therefore have dropped with effect in the NET.

Think about this- MU coulda been in the game the entire time and down 4/5 and ended up losing by 8/9 due to some fouls late. If Shaka didn’t foul at the end the margin woulda been the same, but those were two utterly and completely different games.

That’s why I’m thanking Greg. This game tonight is more important than him hitting a game winner this season, according to the thing that will matter this most if this squad learns how to shoot enough to get itself on the bubble
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 10:48:12 PM by DoctorV »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 10:52:11 PM »
Anyone who saw this game with their 2 eyes knows MU should have lost by a much bigger margin and therefore have dropped with effect in the NET.

There's been a lot of kvetching  about this lately, but it's crap.  It averages out over the season.  MU also should have lost to the Bonnies by more if they didn't take a timeout and put in the bench (which MU fans and Shaka also bitched about).  We should have beat SIUe and UNH by more.  The algorithms aren't as wrong as MU fans would like to believe this year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 10:53:32 PM »
Everything else was trash, but everything else can be forgotten.

Besides rebounding I was very pleased with the defense. Held a top 5 offense to 36% shooting. Not many teams will do that this season.

The offense on the other hand...
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2021, 10:55:20 PM »
Besides rebounding I was very pleased with the defense. Held a top 5 offense to 36% shooting. Not many teams will do that this season.

The offense on the other hand...

Correct, I meant offensively.

I actually thought the overall defensive effort was excellent and it gives me hope

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2021, 11:02:37 PM »
There's been a lot of kvetching  about this lately, but it's crap.  It averages out over the season.  MU also should have lost to the Bonnies by more if they didn't take a timeout and put in the bench (which MU fans and Shaka also bitched about).  We should have beat SIUe and UNH by more.  The algorithms aren't as wrong as MU fans would like to believe this year.

Don’t agree.
We shouldn’t have beaten siue and unh by more, because the team played pretty poorly. That’s why the computer numbers are lower than they should be for the record.

Bonnie loss margin seemed about right, maybe they ran it up a bit. Sconnie loss was worse until the end.

KSt, WVU, Illinois, and Ole Miss we’re probably best case scenario wins, we weren’t gonna beat any of those by a big margin.

Tonight is a pretty big outlier IMO. MU should have lost this game by 20+ and could’ve lost by close to 30 if not for Greg and his lights out shooting.

Losing by 11 instead of 26 is probably a 10 spot difference in the NET, it’s huge.
That’s why we owe Greg a big thank you.

As I said his performance tonight probably has more worth than probably 2 buzzer beaters if MU manages to get to 10 wins in conf and on the bubble. Of course if they need thise buzzer beaters to get to those 10 wins then that changes, I’m talking analytics and their importance in the grand scheme of things.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 11:14:39 PM by DoctorV »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2021, 11:05:00 PM »
Don’t agree.
We shouldn’t have beaten siue and unh by more, because the team played pretty poorly. That’s why the computer numbers are lower than they should be for the record.

Bonnie loss margin seemed about right, maybe they ran it up a bit. Sconnie loss was worse until the end.

KSt, WVU, Illinois, and Ole Miss we’re probably best case scenario wins, we weren’t gonna beat any of those by a big margin.

Tonight is a pretty big outlier IMO. MU should have lost this game by 20+ and could’ve lost by close to 30 if not for Greg and his lights out shooting.

Losing by 11 instead of 26 is probably a 10 spot difference in the NET, it’s huge.
That’s why we owe Greg a big thank you.

As I said his performance tonight probably has more worth than probably 2 buzzer beaters if MU manages to get to 10 wins in conf and on the bubble. Of course if they need thise buzzer beaters to get to those 10 wins then that changers, I’m talking analytics and their importance in the grand scheme of things.

I disagree a lot, except that we owe Greg a big thank you.  But I've been drinking a bunch tonight, maybe I'll reconsider tomorrow.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2021, 12:10:28 AM »
I disagree a lot, except that we owe Greg a big thank you.  But I've been drinking a bunch tonight, maybe I'll reconsider tomorrow.

We owe Greg a thank you for tonight. But this is also the first game he's shown above average effort in.

Hopefully it continues

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2021, 12:29:25 AM »
MU also should have lost to the Bonnies by more if they didn't take a timeout and put in the bench (which MU fans and Shaka also bitched about).

I actually thought that was Shaka's worst moment as Marquette coach so far. Worry about your own team, not about what the other coach is doing. In retrospect, Shaka should have been grateful for that time-out.

We owe Greg a thank you for tonight. But this is also the first game he's shown above average effort in.

I disagree with the word "effort" being used here. When he's been in games, Greg hasn't slacked off, hasn't failed to give his all. When he's been on the bench, he's usually been the first one to cheer and congratulate his teammates. Effort wasn't the problem with Elliott, and it hasn't been a problem for the team. There was one game where Morsell had some bad body language, and Shaka promptly got him out of the game. That's the only thing close to lack of "effort" I remember this season.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2021, 06:40:03 AM »
Can't blame you at all for hammering the drinks down while watching that abysmal performance. The outside shooting is terrible and no evidence it will improve.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2021, 06:42:36 AM »
Either it improves as the young guys learn and grow and the game slows down for them or it doesn't.   The die is cast.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2021, 07:14:36 AM »
We had a lot of Scoopers who were willing to just throw Elliott away, as if 45% 3-point shooters just fall out of the sky.

Greg singlehandedly made this a respectable game, and Shaka was smart to start him in the second half.

He has limitations, and he's not a 30+ minute guy, but you have to have players who can knock down 3s.

As far as proven 3-point shooters go, the 2021-22 Marquette Golden Warrior Eagles have exactly 1 of those.

And you can't win if you can't put the ball in the hole.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2021, 08:15:28 AM »
Tamu

I thought our defense played extremely well and lack of rebounding cost them 8-10 points. I will take that D effort every night and take our chances in BE. IMO it was the best D effort of the season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2021, 09:23:08 AM »
Tamu

I thought our defense played extremely well and lack of rebounding cost them 8-10 points. I will take that D effort every night and take our chances in BE. IMO it was the best D effort of the season.

Unfortunately, a defensive possession isn't complete until you secure the rebound. That is something every coach, from bitty ball to the NBA, preaches. No doubt, Shaka preaches it constantly.

We aren't a good rebounding team -- yet another culture and talent thing that has to be built the rest of this season and beyond.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2021, 09:27:34 AM »
No kidding you need to take possession of the ball and they failed again last night. I was more talking about fumbling the ball out of bounds several times. It was other end of the court but it looked they were in too big of hurry to get the ball and forgot to get the ball. I was impressed with their half court D because they were playing against much better players.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2021, 09:28:53 AM »

Hopefully it continues

Well, this is the dumbest comment on the board
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 09:31:04 AM by PGsHeroes32 »
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2021, 12:19:15 PM »
I actually thought that was Shaka's worst moment as Marquette coach so far. Worry about your own team, not about what the other coach is doing. In retrospect, Shaka should have been grateful for that time-out.

I disagree with the word "effort" being used here. When he's been in games, Greg hasn't slacked off, hasn't failed to give his all. When he's been on the bench, he's usually been the first one to cheer and congratulate his teammates. Effort wasn't the problem with Elliott, and it hasn't been a problem for the team. There was one game where Morsell had some bad body language, and Shaka promptly got him out of the game. That's the only thing close to lack of "effort" I remember this season.

Shaka about Greg after the KSU game "Greg gives use a calming presence, sometimes too calm." This is a minor implication of a lack of effort. How about some stats.

The lowest DBPR on the team. (https://evanmiya.com/) He has the lowest +/- on the entire team. It isn't as if there was evidence of this. 

I'm happy he played decent vs KSU, and played with effort and played well last night.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2021, 12:21:31 PM »
Disagree that any of that implies "lack of effort."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2021, 01:53:11 PM »
Shaka about Greg after the KSU game "Greg gives use a calming presence, sometimes too calm." This is a minor implication of a lack of effort. How about some stats.

The lowest DBPR on the team. (https://evanmiya.com/) He has the lowest +/- on the entire team. It isn't as if there was evidence of this. 

I'm happy he played decent vs KSU, and played with effort and played well last night.

Your website also list Greg as the third best player on the team, behind Morsell and....Stevie
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2021, 02:01:58 PM »
I have always enjoyed what Greg brings to the table . The more the better as far as minutes go.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback