[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Badger Game Autopsy  (Read 2732 times)

oilcan

• Team Captain
Badger Game Autopsy
« on: December 07, 2021, 11:53:14 AM »
Badger Game Autopsy

I was encouraged in the 1st half, mainly because we were rebounding. I was hoping Morsell could slow down Johnny Davis. Picking up that third foul out on the perimeter wasn’t smart. Uggh.  In the 2nd half we couldn’t rebound and missed way too many shots. Clank-clank-clank. Our guards missed lay ups. Stevie Mitchell looked slower than he did in high school. But adding weight will help him in the future. I didn’t see much full court pressing until the end. It’s hard to press against guards that handle the ball as well as the Badger guards do, and hard to do if you don’t score and press on the inbound pass.  Prosper played well. What happened to Kuath? A bunch of players contributed. And too many missed free throws. Ultimately, a bunch of freshmen got beat by a very talented team. It was a good challenge for the kids. MuggsyB— stop by Katie’s Diner and I’ll buy you a good cup of coffee.

Markusquette

• All American
Re: Badger Game Autopsy
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 01:46:21 PM »
Just a young, inexperienced team losing control in the second half. MU is 7-2. I expect a rough go in conference play, but I've already been pleasantly surprised with the team.

This squad has plenty of promise. Imagine what the newcomers will be like even as juniors. Still believe Shaka will bring in some stud recruits.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 06:19:05 PM »
Our second half play was like too many skinny young Marquette teams that were dominated by a more mature team and like a typical Marquette team that is athletic but can't shoot.  I had expected us to win because of Shaka's coaching and that the Badgers were also young, but we were out coached, out shot and dominated.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 07:00:41 PM »
Oh well, few of us expected them to turn into a top 25 team overnight. I'm happy to see them play a  non-conference schedule against decent teams that challenge the players. And I'm grateful to see Wojo gone. I don't have to see him on the sideline with his arms folded. It's like that new iphone where you can take a picture and then erase some stuff you don't want there. There will be disappointments, and unexpected upsets. I don't see MU beating UCLA. But hey, it will make everyone proud to be playing the mighty Bruins in Milwaukee.  Am I right?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 07:26:56 PM »
Oh well, few of us expected them to turn into a top 25 team overnight. I'm happy to see them play a  non-conference schedule against decent teams that challenge the players. And I'm grateful to see Wojo gone. I don't have to see him on the sideline with his arms folded. It's like that new iphone where you can take a picture and then erase some stuff you don't want there. There will be disappointments, and unexpected upsets. I don't see MU beating UCLA. But hey, it will make everyone proud to be playing the mighty Bruins in Milwaukee.  Am I right?

You are correct. Not many non conference Top 5 teams play us in Milwaukee.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 08:14:13 PM »
This is great, Oilcan. Good to have these insights three days after the fact.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 08:35:38 PM »
Yes, you're right. That Kohl hole o sole' mio thread/conversation was a whole lot better and quicker. Lot's of good posts from people who know and love bb.  But I'm old and slow. Forgive me. I just wanted to give my 2 cents. We'll all move on effortlessly. Cheers.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 10:44:26 PM »
Yes, you're right. That Kohl hole o sole' mio thread/conversation was a whole lot better and quicker. Lot's of good posts from people who know and love bb.  But I'm old and slow. Forgive me. I just wanted to give my 2 cents. We'll all move on effortlessly. Cheers.

You may be old and slow but you still know how to use a computer and post on MU scoop.

Nice autopsy, go on son!

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 10:50:01 PM »
WI shot over 70% in the second half

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 06:33:14 PM »
I’m slightly concerned that Wisconsin isn’t anywhere near as good as they showed against MU.
I had a feeling that Indiana was a much better team, and they are out to a torrid 29-11 start at the Kohl hole.

My concern for Wisconsin is that if someone shuts down Davis they will have a very hard time finding points elsewhere. Good teams will find a way to shut him down now and then.

It’s unfortunate that MU fans have to root for UW this season but it’s true.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 06:40:43 PM »
I’m slightly concerned that Wisconsin isn’t anywhere near as good as they showed against MU.
I had a feeling that Indiana was a much better team, and they are out to a torrid 29-11 start at the Kohl hole.

My concern for Wisconsin is that if someone shuts down Davis they will have a very hard time finding points elsewhere. Good teams will find a way to shut him down now and then.

Yes 42% from three is good for a team that normally shoots 32 %

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2021, 07:42:58 PM »
70% from the field (thanks for the stat) and yes they hit plenty of threes. The only time I shoot that well is when I play my grandson. I'm just lucky he doesn't know how to box out. But I'll teach him. And he'll learn how to shoot from the middle of the street. I can't guard him out there. I'm afraid I'd get hit by a car.  Gotta guard the paint.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2021, 08:22:43 PM »

Solid reverse jinx here. Sorry to those that wanted Sconnie to lose

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2021, 08:25:24 PM »
Solid reverse jinx here. Sorry to those that wanted Sconnie to lose

No, your analysis is correct.  Close game luck evens out over the course of a season and a team as schizophrenic as them from one half to the next isn’t sustainable long term
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2021, 08:33:11 PM »
MU was awful v UW ... it was a total beat  down in the 2d half.

Today UW comes back to beat IU.. the
Puke badgers have one really good player and nothing ... but they will make the dance ( again ).

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2021, 09:00:05 PM »
No, your analysis is correct.  Close game luck evens out over the course of a season and a team as schizophrenic as them from one half to the next isn’t sustainable long term

It’s likely somewhere in the middle. Solid tourney team, likely in the top 4-6 in conf but very unlikely top 3. Definitely not bottom of the barrel as preseason projected.

Even though they are pretty 1.5 dimensional offensively, their bigs down low hold their own and they are their typical good to great defensively and style-wise for what they are trying to do.

Thing is, for a team like Wisconsin, a guy like Davis in March is what takes a slow molasses juggernaut and puts it over the top. In the same token, one brutal game and you lose your 5v12 game and hasta la vista.

At this point in the season they actually profile a lot like Marquette- a surprisingly positive team that’s much better than expected. They are, so far, a much better version than MU tho

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2021, 07:50:26 PM »
Absolutely agree with you DoctorV  In the tournament you need a great guard. He gets you into the sweet 16. If you have 2 then you make the elite 8.  Everyone in the tournament has a good starting five. The guards take you the rest of the way. Just sayin'

feedback