[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Kohl hole o sole' mio  (Read 13448 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Kohl hole o sole' mio
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2021, 10:32:03 PM »
That defense though… let’s see more of it

I know the popular talking point is that our defense will wear teams down throughout the game.  My bigger concern though, is that our defense will lead to fatigue & injuries as the season goes on.  I appreciate the effort, I just don't know that it's sustainable as the season wears on.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2021, 10:52:36 PM »
I know the popular talking point is that our defense will wear teams down throughout the game.  My bigger concern though, is that our defense will lead to fatigue & injuries as the season goes on.  I appreciate the effort, I just don't know that it's sustainable as the season wears on.

Are you saying we wore ourselves out by the 2nd half today and it played a role in the unconscionable weasel barrage?

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2021, 10:56:03 PM »
Box score

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/401372004

10 minutes from Kur.    Barely more than Greg or EE played.

A few main points/takeaways from me

1- Very odd game. It’s easy to forget after that abysmal 2nd half but MU was actually up with under 18 minutes left.

On the road, versus a good team, so it’s not all brutal.

Never really felt like a “blowout type” game until it was, escalated quickly.

2- I think Shaka messed this one up. Matador defense for the remainder of the game and very little Kur and Omax.

Kur had some fouls, sure. I’d love to see more from Omax. However, Prosper had a nice stretch offensively in the 1H and is a solid defender, interior presence. Kur changes the game at the rim. Wisconsin was scoring with ease and Shaka didn’t adjust.

Imo needed more of Kur and Omax today.

He’s still been overall great this season but today it seemed like it got away from him a bit. He’s human, and as a local he understands the importance of the rivalry to MU fans and perhaps his first true road game got the best of him as well. It happens.

3- Davis was clearly the best player on the court and he’s probably one of the most talented offensive players I’ve ever seen at UW. I think he will be a great NBA player too, very diversified offensive skill set and makes things look relatively “easy” like DWade used to do at MU. 

4- Davidson’s a douche. Those jerseys were disturbing.

5- This December is scary, let’s pull one out versus the fighting Bruce Weber’s.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2021, 10:57:32 PM »
Morsel had about 3-4 possessions where he had a good look and it rimmed out. UW-M scored on the corresponding possession and it was curtains.  This team is young and doesn’t have great scoring options. The UW-M fans seemed rather happy beating a team with 9 frosh and new coach with a player who hits people in the groin. God bless em. Moving on.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2021, 10:58:54 PM »

1- Very odd game. It’s easy to forget after that abysmal 2nd half but MU was actually up with under 18 minutes left.

2- I think Shaka messed this one up. Matador defense for the remainder of the game and very little Kur and Omax.

Kur had some fouls, sure. I’d love to see more from Omax. However, Prosper had a nice stretch offensively in the 1H and is a solid defender, interior presence. Kur changes the game at the rim. Wisconsin was scoring with ease and Shaka didn’t adjust.

He’s still been overall great this season but today it seemed like it got away from him a bit. He’s human, and as a local he understands the importance of the rivalry to MU fans and perhaps his first true road game got the best of him as well. It happens.

3- Davis was clearly the best player on the court and he’s probably one of the most talented offensive players I’ve ever seen at UW. I think he will be a great NBA player too, very diversified offensive skill set and makes things look relatively “easy” like DWade used to do at MU. 

5- This December is scary, let’s pull one out versus the fighting Bruce Weber’s.

Great synopsis as usual Dr. V.  Those unis were seriously revolting and disturbing.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2021, 11:27:48 PM »
If only Tan Crean were our coach.  How's Georgia doing in Year 3 of the Tan Crean era, Chicos?  KenPom has them at 162.

The Billy is chicos meme is tired, dumb, and wrong.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2021, 12:23:16 AM »
Are you saying we wore ourselves out by the 2nd half today and it played a role in the unconscionable weasel barrage?

No, that was just bad defense.

I'm concerned MU will play worse defense as the season progresses because the guys will be worn down, hurt, or fatigued.

I understand why fans find Shaka's style exciting - and it can be when it works. But working or not, it requires a lot of effort every game to sustain. It's not a physically efficient defense.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2021, 01:19:14 AM »
First true road game of the year.  Solid first half.  Davison played above his usual game. 

Rough game for JLew.  Kur in early foul trouble.  Poor shooting day from 3.  Oso a big bright spot.  His chemistry with Kolek is really good.  Need better shooting from Kolek and the staff thinks he's a better shooter than what he's shown so far.

Takeaway for the day for me was Johnny Davis.  Silky smooth player.  He keeps playing at the level he did today, he might have lottery pick potential.

Still think our team has nice potential, and can be an NCAA team.  If you consider this team could have 3 more years of Kolek, Kam, Oso, Joplin, Mitchell (he's trying to do too much/play too fast right now), O-Max, Ellis - where that team could be in 3 years is special.  I left Justin Lewis off of that list as he very well could go pro after next season (wouldn't think he'd try to go pro after this year despite being in some mock drafts/second rounds)

I agree with this take.  This is right where I’m at with this team now and in the future.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2021, 01:32:40 AM »
Rebounding. We did it in the first half,  we did not do it in the second half.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2021, 01:46:06 AM »
Morsel had about 3-4 possessions where he had a good look and it rimmed out. UW-M scored on the corresponding possession and it was curtains.  This team is young and doesn’t have great scoring options. The UW-M fans seemed rather happy beating a team with 9 frosh and new coach with a player who hits people in the groin. God bless em. Moving on.

I also agree with this.  When we weren’t turning the ball over there were possessions with shots that rimmed out.  A few go in and it’s a closer loss. 

Davis was the best player on the court.  I think our overall talent aside from him is better.  Hopefully the kid goes pro next year and MU starts a run of dominance.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2021, 07:14:30 AM »

Yes all of this, also I thought he sort of gave it up a bit too quick, he seemed very passive way too early.
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2021, 07:34:02 AM »
So Shaka getting ready for "our players are tired" excuse if season starts going South?
Goal is National Championship

Goose

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2021, 07:56:55 AM »
It flat out was a bad performance by MU. Kur is a difference maker on the court and he needs to be out there more minutes. My overly optimistic opinion is still there and believe there will be better days ahead. There is room for improvement across the board and I think we will see serious individual improvements which will lead to overall improvement.
I have seen enough flashes from everyone, minus GE, to believe they will improve as season moves on. Honestly, they have not looked great aside from spurts in some games. I was not expecting perfection and being 7-2 with how they have played is an accomplishment, IMO.
I said earlier in the year, if things go as planned this will be the worst talent level of any Shaka team moving forward. I’m far from jumping off the train.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2021, 08:10:47 AM »
Nobody is jumping off the train, Goose.  A couple of people were never on it.
   I like the fact that the entire team has a green light to shoot 3's.   This, to me, is establishing culture.  One of playing without fear.   Assuming they stay together, in a couple of seasons this group will be hitting 3's in the high 30's and finishing more strongly at the basket.   It will be a lot of fun.
     It is easy to lose sight of the long term big picture in the middle of a whuppin'.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2021, 08:53:43 AM »
Tower

I would be surprised if the there were a lot of players still here in 2-3 years. I do agree on building the culture and that is the key to long term success. My gut tells me that we will have a big number of newcomers again next season, especially transfers that fit the culture. To be honest, I am counting on big turnover and a higher level if talent. That said, I do believe that all of the young guys have upside.

My only negative thus far would be that our two best players are playing to showcase with the hopes of playing at the next level. The good news on that, it appears they both look like they are team guys and want to win.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2021, 09:10:48 AM »

Nice recap, V.

1. We used a 9-2 mini-run to pull within 8 with 8:34 left on Lewis' 3-pointer. It looked like we then got a stop when Hepburn missed but we couldn't get the rebound and it went out of bounds off us. Gard then ran a nice IB play that resulted in Davison hitting a 3. That got the crowd back into the game ... and a minute later we were down 16. Lewis turned the ball over and missed a 3 during that span. Game over. As you said, it escalated quickly, but that's not unusual. We all know basketball is a game of runs, and if a team doesn't keep its poise during a key stretch, a game can get out of hand.

2. I'm still in the "give Shaka the benefit of the doubt" phase. I'm still assuming he knows more about what his players can give him in each situation that we do. That doesn't mean I think your suggestions are wrong; I simply don't know.

3. I like the Davis/Wade comparison. That's not you saying Davis will be as good as Wade; again, we don't know but he almost surely won't given that Wade is an all-time top-25 player. But you're right about the way Davis plays -- very smooth with occasional explosion.

4. Yes and yes.

5. We got this!

It flat out was a bad performance by MU. Kur is a difference maker on the court and he needs to be out there more minutes. My overly optimistic opinion is still there and believe there will be better days ahead. There is room for improvement across the board and I think we will see serious individual improvements which will lead to overall improvement.
I have seen enough flashes from everyone, minus GE, to believe they will improve as season moves on. Honestly, they have not looked great aside from spurts in some games. I was not expecting perfection and being 7-2 with how they have played is an accomplishment, IMO.
I said earlier in the year, if things go as planned this will be the worst talent level of any Shaka team moving forward. I’m far from jumping off the train.

There's absolutely no reason to "jump off the train," and nobody who was on the train to begin with has jumped off. We probably weren't as good as 7-1, and we hopefully weren't as bad as yesterday's worst stretches. I'm sticking with Shaka (and some Scoopers) who called it a drip-by-drip process.

As for Kur's low minutes in most games, including yesterday's ... I'm trusting that Shaka knows things about Kur already that you, I and the rest of Scoop don't know yet.

When we weren’t turning the ball over there were possessions with shots that rimmed out.  A few go in and it’s a closer loss. 

I thought we had too many shots that either were quick without any passing or that came when a guy got the ball inside the frontcourt and dribbled until he took the shot. That some of those almost went in doesn't make them "good" shots IMHO. Our offense seems to be at its best when Kolek, Stevie or Morsell are creating opportunities for themselves or others. A lot of those good-looking-but-not-going-in shots played into Wisconsin's defensive plan IMHO.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2021, 09:17:42 AM »
We can all hope Johnny Davis is taken in the NBA draft this coming year, so we don't need to face him next year.
Very few years MU can match up to UW with length.
Upper classman needed to show up for this game to lead the near arrivals.
Didn't happen.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 09:24:05 AM by NCMUFan »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2021, 09:22:03 AM »
I have to admit that Davis was even better than I expected him to be. A ton of talent, poise and he showed composure when he has the ball. Having the best player on the court, but a fairly wide margin, makes a big difference in college basketball. Dwade was the best player on the court in almost, if not all, of the games he played at MU and that was what made those two years special.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2021, 09:29:24 AM »
Davis was great, but I was really disappointed in two things from MU. First, the defensive focus and intensity was awful, even in the first half. If UW makes some close ones after beating the "press" MU is down double digits at half.

The second is on everyone... This game followed a very similar script to the Bonnies game. Not only did the players not learn much from that whooping, it appears the staff didn't either. The team was clearly panicking, forcing things, trying to get 10 points back on a single trip. I'm all for letting them work through it to a point, but there were times where I was begging Shaka to call a timeout and slow the guys down a bit.

When it got to 8 at the first part of UW's run, you could totally see what was coming next. I'd hope the head coach could recognize that too.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2021, 09:43:36 AM »
Tower

I would be surprised if the there were a lot of players still here in 2-3 years. I do agree on building the culture and that is the key to long term success. My gut tells me that we will have a big number of newcomers again next season, especially transfers that fit the culture. To be honest, I am counting on big turnover and a higher level if talent. That said, I do believe that all of the young guys have upside.

My only negative thus far would be that our two best players are playing to showcase with the hopes of playing at the next level. The good news on that, it appears they both look like they are team guys and want to win.

I couldn’t have said it better on all points. Personally, I think Shaka did a great job this off-season slapping a roster together that will compete on most nights. He had the help of immediately eligible transfers to do so. We’re a bit better this season than most fans would have expected, but this is still just the first step in the culture shift we will see in the coming years. By year 3, I think MU will really be a force to be reckoned with. In the meantime, I think Shaka has the coaching chops to get these guys to the postseason.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2021, 09:51:28 AM »
We can all hope Johnny Davis is taken in the NBA draft this coming year, so we don't need to face him next year.

If he makes himself available, he will be a first-round draft pick. I haven't seen him placed that high in most of the mock drafts I've seen, but most were done before this college season. He's a hell of a player.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

OffTheGlass

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2021, 11:28:07 AM »

In all fairness, we'd be happy too in beating a young team that mirrors ourselves. I am the furthest thing from a badger fan, but keep in mind, they are fairly young as well. I rather take Marquette's youth than theirs though. Outside of Davis and the flopper Davison, I don't think they have a whole lot to be excited about, but I say that going into each year, yet Gard gets it done to a respectful level. Credit Gard in this win as that has nothing to do with Shaka, but more or less Gard finding ways to use his strengths come 2nd half. Davis is really good and from a basketball  perspective fun to watch.

Madison doesn't seem to appreciate Gard as they think everyone needs to be the next coming of Bo.

I've read some other threads and agree, I still think Shaka is trying to find the right mix of players. We go very deep and there are some pros and cons when we do that based on short vs long term development. I keep thinking "Stevie" is one of those guys that needs to probably sit a bit more for now....."slow down Stevie"!

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2021, 11:32:57 AM »
If he makes himself available, he will be a first-round draft pick. I haven't seen him placed that high in most of the mock drafts I've seen, but most were done before this college season. He's a hell of a player.

The comparison to how Davis makes the game look easy, similar to how D-Wade did while at MU was a good one.  Smooth.  Long.  Athletic.  Good shooter.  He put on a clinic yesterday.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2021, 11:57:19 AM »
Davis is more polished offensively then Wade at this age. Jaden Ivey is more like Wade, way higher ceiling.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2021, 12:19:31 PM »
Could well be.  Though, he likely does need to get stronger.