[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread  (Read 118142 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: 2022 MLB Thread
« Reply #725 on: June 22, 2022, 12:51:00 PM »
Not to mention, in baseball, unlike football or basketball or hockey, they can't "make their teammates better".  Aside from maybe a catcher.
Yep. No such thing as help defense, or setting picks, or getting the ball to teammates in the best position for them to score. Baseball awards are basically purely stats driven

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #726 on: June 22, 2022, 01:03:24 PM »
The only argument I’d make for the playoff team part is that the player would be performing in more high-leverage situations and meaningful games. But I’d only use that as a tiebreaker and not disqualify an otherwise great season due to team performance.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #727 on: June 22, 2022, 02:56:07 PM »
Not to mention, in baseball, unlike football or basketball or hockey, they can't "make their teammates better".  Aside from maybe a catcher.

Don't good catchers make pitchers better?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #728 on: June 22, 2022, 03:02:33 PM »
Don't good catchers make pitchers better?

Every good defensive player makes pitchers better. And every great hitter makes the guy who bats in front of him better.

That said, it’s still a very individual sport - teamwork isn’t as essential as it is in most team sports.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #729 on: June 22, 2022, 03:22:11 PM »
And every great hitter makes the guy who bats in front of him better.
I don't agree with that. The player may get "better" pitches to see, but it doesn't make the player better. If that were the case, Mike Trout would have more RBI's.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #730 on: June 22, 2022, 03:31:49 PM »
The only argument I’d make for the playoff team part is that the player would be performing in more high-leverage situations and meaningful games. But I’d only use that as a tiebreaker and not disqualify an otherwise great season due to team performance.

I think that's an excellent point and it's one I've made before. A guy on a non-contender faces considerably less pressure in August and September than a guy on a contender does.

I also think a "tiebreaker" of sorts can be a player who is having a very good season but finishes with an incredible month or two to lead a team into the playoffs.

There's also no doubt in my mind that Verlander carried the Tigers to the division title in 2011 even though he played in only a fifth of his team's games. Every 5th day (and a few times less), the Tigers knew they were gonna win. They also knew they had a guy who would pitch 7 innings or more almost every time (and often 8 or 9), saving the bullpen for the other days. A very deserving choice IMHO.

And I agree with Wags about catchers potentially making an outsized difference.

Finally, there are such things as intangibles, even in baseball. So while Willie Stargell had "only" very good stats in 1979, he was IMHO a great MVP pick because he was the unquestioned leader of that "We Are Family" team. (He actually ended up getting the same number of MVP points as Keith Hernandez, so they shared the award.)

Again, I understand and respect that others think the standings shouldn't matter for MVP, even though I happen to disagree.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #731 on: June 22, 2022, 03:41:12 PM »
Finally, there are such things as intangibles, even in baseball. So while Willie Stargell had "only" very good stats in 1979, he was IMHO a great MVP pick because he was the unquestioned leader of that "We Are Family" team. (He actually ended up getting the same number of MVP points as Keith Hernandez, so they shared the award.)
Just because it happened doesn't make it right. Stargell had mediocre numbers, but it was a good story. His VORP was 5th on his own team, his WAR was 9th on his own team.And I say this as a Pirate fan.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #732 on: June 22, 2022, 03:45:25 PM »
LOL, Stargell should have *never* been the MVP in 1979.  He wasn't even the best player on those Pirates teams!  I mean I guess you could say that the Pirates wouldn't have won the World Series without him and his "intangibles," but they definitely don't win it without Dave Parker.

Parker finished top 10 in pretty much every offensive category.  Stargell only finished top ten in Slugging, but didn't have enough plate appearances to qualify.

That's exactly the nonsense that the voters have largely gotten rid of. "Intangibles" become the reason to vote for a good story instead of the best player.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 03:47:07 PM by User Name #251 »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #733 on: June 22, 2022, 06:20:13 PM »
Baldelli and the Twins blew another big one last night. Baldelli doing his usually blow the entire bench by banking on the BENCH to win the game in the 9th(Just a true idiot). Only for us to lose in 11. Nick Gordon and his "intangibles" pinch runs and steals on his own....thrown out. Like 50% on the year. So bad.

Anyways. Bigger issue. The "Buxton Plan". Lets paint a sad picture.

Thursday- Team off day.
Friday- DH
Saturday- Rest
Sunday- CF
Monday- Team off day
Tuesday- CF
Today- Resting again.

The guy isnt even playing back to back days anymore. And DH's like 2-3 times a week. I dont care how frail he is, if you willingly sit him 70 games its the same as him getting hurt for 70.

Late September when we got the division in control? Heck ya sit him. So he doesnt get hurt at the very end like 2020 again.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #734 on: June 22, 2022, 07:04:51 PM »
Baldelli and the Twins blew another big one last night. Baldelli doing his usually blow the entire bench by banking on the BENCH to win the game in the 9th(Just a true idiot). Only for us to lose in 11. Nick Gordon and his "intangibles" pinch runs and steals on his own....thrown out. Like 50% on the year. So bad.

Anyways. Bigger issue. The "Buxton Plan". Lets paint a sad picture.

Thursday- Team off day.
Friday- DH
Saturday- Rest
Sunday- CF
Monday- Team off day
Tuesday- CF
Today- Resting again.

The guy isnt even playing back to back days anymore. And DH's like 2-3 times a week. I dont care how frail he is, if you willingly sit him 70 games its the same as him getting hurt for 70.

Late September when we got the division in control? Heck ya sit him. So he doesnt get hurt at the very end like 2020 again.

What makes it even more amusing was that Baldelli is very intelligent and was looking at playing at Ivy League schools before getting drafted.  Yet somehow he's brain dead as a manager.

Incredibly promising and exciting MLB career that fell short (granted due to injuries, but still).  Then wins MOY his first season before showing he's clueless.  What a waste of a fantastic sports name

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #735 on: June 22, 2022, 10:10:42 PM »
Baldelli cannot cotinue to manage a major league baseball team.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #736 on: June 23, 2022, 08:17:16 AM »
Baldelli and the Twins blew another big one last night.

Don't look now...the Guardians are in first place! This is a fun team. I've got to get out and see a game.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #737 on: June 25, 2022, 11:55:03 AM »
So my sister works for a company that runs corporate events with "give backs", aka team building with a charity component.  One of their regular clients happens to be the Brewers.  She was in town this week to run an event for them, but the entirety of their normal contract/hourly workforce that was vaxxed and boosted (per Brewer requirements) were working Summerfest.  So I took the afternoon off work to help her out.

It was basically an hour long session where the Brewers players and coaching staff built 60 bikes for a local community organization.  There was no media or press or outside attendees (outside of my sister and her colleague, myself and 2 other workers, and one woman from the org) so you really got to see the true nature of the players in their downtime, which was pretty cool.  There was a photographer but he was super low key and a video camera that took a little footage I believe was showed on the broadcast last night, but I honestly never even noticed when they arrived and left.

I'd never be confused for a Brewers fan, but I couldn't be a bigger Willy Adames fan.  Man, what a joyous person.  We were discussing logistics with the Brewers marketing lead in the bowels of AmFam Field, and it happened to be where players and staff enter from the parking lot.  Adames came in, more like bounded in, greeted all assorted staff by name, came near us, hugs the marketing lead, and goes "oh, new people, bien bien" and then gives my sister a hug when he's told shes running the event and fist bumps me before heading off singing to himself.

The Brewers were super insistent that only my sister and her colleauge were allowed to be near the players, while masked, even though the event took place on the warning track and everyone there was fully vaxxed and boosted.  Which made it more ironic that we stood near that entrance for an hour and had multiple players come through and interact with us.

During the event, that protocol basically shot to hell   :o.  Finished bikes were supposed to be given to my sister or the coworker, and then wheeled to me or another worker who took them to the Wheel and Sproket mechanics finishing/doing checks.   That last for about 10 min before players started wheeling over their own bikes, proud of their work, asking questions, or generally leaving their stations.

Ive never been a Josh Hader fan, but he built 2 and a half bikes on his own (Brewers originally said 60 players, coaches and clubhouse staff would participate, hence the 60 bikes, but that number ended up being barely 30 with players and coaches, hence a bunch of extra unbuilt bikes), was super helpful to my sister, and generally chatty.  Each bike had a card that was supposed to have a message, and he offered to fill out more cards if needed.  Just a solid dude (maybe its fatherhood  ;D)

Jonathan Davis has one of the best laughs ever, just infectious.  Mike Brousseau kept cracking my sister up cause he built one of the worst bikes but thought he crushed it.  It didn't steer and the front wheel was locked but he kept referring himself as a subject matter expert to teammates and my sister.

Peter Strzelecki just happy to be up and it shows.  Stopped and talked to us as he entered.  Had a convo with me on the field, was chatting to the bike mechanics, just a really friendly pleasant presence.

Notable exception?  Unfortunately Yelich was an absolute DOUCHE.  Loudly whined that he was supposed to do a bike on his own.  At one point, not even halfway into the time, said "you guys have me for 2 min more max, then im done with this crap".  Then proceeded to wheel his bike over my sister's foot, she yelped in surprise, he doesnt acknowledge and Tellez goes "Yeli, dude, ran over her foot man"...to which he shrugs and continues walking while Tellez asks her if she's ok.  He's also an absolute mountain of a man.

The 45 min of bike assembly was a lot of fun.  The rest of the event was a mess due to the Brewers being horrible with their end of planning and logistics, but no need to go into that.  Wish I had video on my phone of Adames riding his bike out to the area they congregated for a picture yelling "DALE!" like Pitbull.

Also shoutout to the absolute clown of a grounds crew member he screamed "GET THE F*** OFF MY GRASS" as I stood, not realizing half my foot was on the border of the warning track and grass...because that harmed the outfield far more than the 20 bikes that were ridden and wheeled around all over the place 15 min prior.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #738 on: June 25, 2022, 12:28:58 PM »
Great story Wags.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #739 on: June 25, 2022, 12:35:08 PM »
Sounds like a hell of an afternoon!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #740 on: June 25, 2022, 01:33:44 PM »
So my sister works for a company that runs corporate events with "give backs", aka team building with a charity component.  One of their regular clients happens to be the Brewers.  She was in town this week to run an event for them, but the entirety of their normal contract/hourly workforce that was vaxxed and boosted (per Brewer requirements) were working Summerfest.  So I took the afternoon off work to help her out.

It was basically an hour long session where the Brewers players and coaching staff built 60 bikes for a local community organization.  There was no media or press or outside attendees (outside of my sister and her colleague, myself and 2 other workers, and one woman from the org) so you really got to see the true nature of the players in their downtime, which was pretty cool.  There was a photographer but he was super low key and a video camera that took a little footage I believe was showed on the broadcast last night, but I honestly never even noticed when they arrived and left.

I'd never be confused for a Brewers fan, but I couldn't be a bigger Willy Adames fan.  Man, what a joyous person.  We were discussing logistics with the Brewers marketing lead in the bowels of AmFam Field, and it happened to be where players and staff enter from the parking lot.  Adames came in, more like bounded in, greeted all assorted staff by name, came near us, hugs the marketing lead, and goes "oh, new people, bien bien" and then gives my sister a hug when he's told shes running the event and fist bumps me before heading off singing to himself.

The Brewers were super insistent that only my sister and her colleauge were allowed to be near the players, while masked, even though the event took place on the warning track and everyone there was fully vaxxed and boosted.  Which made it more ironic that we stood near that entrance for an hour and had multiple players come through and interact with us.

During the event, that protocol basically shot to hell   :o.  Finished bikes were supposed to be given to my sister or the coworker, and then wheeled to me or another worker who took them to the Wheel and Sproket mechanics finishing/doing checks.   That last for about 10 min before players started wheeling over their own bikes, proud of their work, asking questions, or generally leaving their stations.

Ive never been a Josh Hader fan, but he built 2 and a half bikes on his own (Brewers originally said 60 players, coaches and clubhouse staff would participate, hence the 60 bikes, but that number ended up being barely 30 with players and coaches, hence a bunch of extra unbuilt bikes), was super helpful to my sister, and generally chatty.  Each bike had a card that was supposed to have a message, and he offered to fill out more cards if needed.  Just a solid dude (maybe its fatherhood  ;D)

Jonathan Davis has one of the best laughs ever, just infectious.  Mike Brousseau kept cracking my sister up cause he built one of the worst bikes but thought he crushed it.  It didn't steer and the front wheel was locked but he kept referring himself as a subject matter expert to teammates and my sister.

Peter Strzelecki just happy to be up and it shows.  Stopped and talked to us as he entered.  Had a convo with me on the field, was chatting to the bike mechanics, just a really friendly pleasant presence.

Notable exception?  Unfortunately Yelich was an absolute DOUCHE.  Loudly whined that he was supposed to do a bike on his own.  At one point, not even halfway into the time, said "you guys have me for 2 min more max, then im done with this crap".  Then proceeded to wheel his bike over my sister's foot, she yelped in surprise, he doesnt acknowledge and Tellez goes "Yeli, dude, ran over her foot man"...to which he shrugs and continues walking while Tellez asks her if she's ok.  He's also an absolute mountain of a man.

The 45 min of bike assembly was a lot of fun.  The rest of the event was a mess due to the Brewers being horrible with their end of planning and logistics, but no need to go into that.  Wish I had video on my phone of Adames riding his bike out to the area they congregated for a picture yelling "DALE!" like Pitbull.

Also shoutout to the absolute clown of a grounds crew member he screamed "GET THE F*** OFF MY GRASS" as I stood, not realizing half my foot was on the border of the warning track and grass...because that harmed the outfield far more than the 20 bikes that were ridden and wheeled around all over the place 15 min prior.

Hader was awesome talking to my son at spring training.  Super nice guy.

Yeli was a douche that day too.  I don't think he's having any fun playing baseball right now.  Could be part of his problem.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #741 on: June 25, 2022, 06:33:52 PM »
https://twitter.com/Brewers/status/1540749166116188162?t=wbHAbUqjPzimXWIv5mv4UA&s=19

Featuring 1) Yeli working hard and 2) the whole group on the precious grass.  😂😂

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #742 on: June 28, 2022, 10:11:14 PM »
AL Central is still a competitive race because of Emilio Pagan and Rocco continuing to use him.

The Twins have lost 3 games to the Guardians in the last week(won 3 as well). Should be 6-0 in those games and 8-1 overall against them but Pagan has contributed to blowing 3 games.

Heck of a win in the second game of the DH though. Winder good to be back.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #743 on: June 29, 2022, 07:01:48 AM »
AL Central is still a competitive race because of Emilio Pagan and Rocco continuing to use him.

The Twins have lost 3 games to the Guardians in the last week(won 3 as well). Should be 6-0 in those games and 8-1 overall against them but Pagan has contributed to blowing 3 games.

Red Sox lost one last night because their closer is not COVID vaccinated and therefore not allowed to travel to Canada.  Others blew the save in the 9th to the Blue Jays.  Does anyone know if players who are not vaccinated have their salaries reduced for games they can't play because they are no vaccinated?  I think the Red Sox play 9 games in Toronto this year, so that would be 1/18th of their total salary.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #744 on: June 29, 2022, 07:58:59 AM »
From The Athletic:

Angels reliever Archie Bradley has gone eight consecutive outings without allowing an earned run. Now he can’t pitch for a while because he fractured his throwing elbow falling out of the dugout during Sunday's brawl with the Seattle Mariners.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #745 on: June 29, 2022, 09:38:07 AM »

Yadi would have built 4 minimum.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #746 on: June 29, 2022, 04:44:53 PM »
Red Sox lost one last night because their closer is not COVID vaccinated and therefore not allowed to travel to Canada.  Others blew the save in the 9th to the Blue Jays.  Does anyone know if players who are not vaccinated have their salaries reduced for games they can't play because they are no vaccinated?  I think the Red Sox play 9 games in Toronto this year, so that would be 1/18th of their total salary.

I don’t know the answer to your question.

But it sucks for the Red Sox that they also won’t have their closer for a late-Sept series in Toronto that could determine whether or not they reach the playoffs. Also sucks that they won’t have their closer if they happen to have a wild-card game in Toronto.

Great teammate.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #747 on: June 29, 2022, 04:53:33 PM »

I don't pay much attention to the Twins, but my buddy who is a rabid Indians Guardians fan texted me that the Twins challenged a utterly meaningless out at first base the other night while up 9-0 in the 8th.  Given what Ive read about the management insanity here, it made me laugh.  Its stupid at best, a major dickhead move at worst.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #748 on: June 29, 2022, 06:48:42 PM »
I don't pay much attention to the Twins, but my buddy who is a rabid Indians Guardians fan texted me that the Twins challenged a utterly meaningless out at first base the other night while up 9-0 in the 8th.  Given what Ive read about the management insanity here, it made me laugh.  Its stupid at best, a major dickhead move at worst.

Ha that doesn't surprise me. I missed that one since we were up so big I got caught up on other things with my Monday night.

Baffling again tonight though. Playing the Guardins in game 4 of the big 5 game set(up 3 games over all)

We got Bundy on the mound and decide to bench Buxton and Correa again. Now its baseball, so not impossible we win(down 2-0 right away though) but its basically the equivalent of running the ball 3 times after 1st and 20.

Worst part is we face Bieber tomorrow so that was already daunting.

Solid chance it gets down to 1. Why they didnt just push Bundy back a day and then sit Correa/Buxton for the day game. No man knows. I'd prefer to just full blown punt against Bieber. Rather than do this tonight, and pray to salvage the series vs Bieber.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #749 on: June 29, 2022, 07:02:10 PM »
Unvaccinated players who miss games in Toronto are not paid for those missed games.