[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Weasel/Rodent Analysis??  (Read 15322 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Weasel/Rodent Analysis??
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2021, 12:18:49 AM »
Actually, I'm not sure you understand what rivalries are about.

You can have respect for a rival.

I have respect for good players on rivals. I have had begrudging respect for the likes of Tucker, Hayes, Kaminsky, etc.

Davison has earned no respect. He is a cheater, a dirty player, a flopper and a choker. Did you not see that in two close losses in Milwaukee, he missed every shot he took, including some crucial FTs in one of them? I hope we defend him tight, and I wouldn't mind if he got pounded a few times.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2021, 08:14:46 AM »
Because it's the badger. There's two teams where respect and objectivity go out the window: 1) Wisconsin  2) Notre Dame

count the basket and one and the ball!!
don't...don't don't don't don't

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2021, 09:10:34 AM »
  count the basket and one and the ball!!
Would be a great poll question on who is hated more, Badgers or No Dick.
No doubt it would also stimulate rabid conversation.
I would go with No Dick. Because their fans, alums and school think that their crap doesn't stink.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2021, 10:41:31 AM »
Have Morrsell dog Davis for 94 feet. I'll take the 5th year B14 Player of the Year over a pretty good sophomore any day. Edge: MU.

I think if Kur stays away from stupid fouls, he will intimidate and frustrate Wahl (and others inside). Edge: Push, or slight MU.

If our gaggle of other guards can keep Testicle Boy from getting hot, this is a very winnable game

Goose

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2021, 11:18:17 AM »
I agree with Morsell handling Davis. MU by double digits.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2021, 11:20:43 AM »
Actually, I'm not sure you understand what rivalries are about.

You can have respect for a rival.
Wrong. There can be no respect for the nut punching Badgers.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2021, 11:38:50 AM »
I would go with No Dick. Because their fans, alums and school think that their crap doesn't stink.

how far back would we have to go for MU students to appreciate the hate for the golden domers?  i would say kelli tripuka still has the edge on brad the ball grabber...pretty close even though kelli didn't get as intimate.  a good (ex)friend stole my notre who? shirt and he never lived it down
don't...don't don't don't don't

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2021, 11:42:59 AM »

I think it depends on residence.  If you grew up in Wisconsin, or spent a lot of time there, the UW delusion and love affair gets suffocating

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2021, 01:36:32 PM »
That went about as expected
No Finish Line

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2021, 07:43:52 PM »
25 year low in Madison basketball.
Bottom half of the big ten this year.
Easy ticket no one will show up.
Bo was pretty good, but Gard is absolutely terrible.
Morsel will shut down Davis.

Just a few things scoopers said in the last week or so…..none of which were true or will be true.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2021, 07:57:17 PM »

Just a few things scoopers said in the last week or so…..none of which were true or will be true.

Cool…

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2021, 08:00:26 PM »

I mean, a lot of us say a lot of dumb things on this old message board and that won’t stop us from doing it again
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2021, 08:01:54 PM »
I agree with Morsell handling Davis. MU by double digits.
Goose, you were...just a bit...outside on that one.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2021, 08:13:14 PM »
I mean, a lot of us say a lot of dumb things on this old message board and that won’t stop us from doing it again
Agreed…..I’ve said plenty of dumb sheet on here.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2021, 01:42:07 AM »
Willie

Davis played well and I was very impressed with us play. MU looked terrible today and Bucky missing a bunch of bunnies in the first half kept us in the game. Morsell looks to be using a lot of energy on the offensive side of the court the last few games. Bad call on my part and cost me some $$ to boot.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2021, 06:18:39 AM »
Willie

Davis played well and I was very impressed with us play. MU looked terrible today and Bucky missing a bunch of bunnies in the first half kept us in the game. Morsell looks to be using a lot of energy on the offensive side of the court the last few games. Bad call on my part and cost me some $$ to boot.
That has to be the double whammy there. Betting money on MU to beat bucky and then losing money because of bucky.
It seems like when we beat bucky the games are close but when we lose it is a blowout. Too lazy to look up scores for the series

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2021, 07:23:13 AM »
I think it depends on residence.  If you grew up in Wisconsin, or spent a lot of time there, the UW delusion and love affair gets suffocating
Well up to 80's order was mostly
1. ND
2. DePaul
Gap
3. Rodents
Mainly because Domers Depaul and MU were basically bog dogs of independents and how we fared against each other could mean difference between NCCAt vs NIT
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2021, 09:46:26 AM »

Well up to 80's order was mostly
1. ND
2. DePaul
Gap
3. Rodents
Mainly because Domers Depaul and MU were basically bog dogs of independents and how we fared against each other could mean difference between NCCAt vs NIT

100% correct to both of these points.

And not only that, but Wisconsin sucked for decades. For something to feel like a real "rivalry," the teams have to be at least close to on par.

By the time I arrived at Marquette in 1978, we had won 15 straight against Wisconsin, mostly decisively. During that span, while Marquette established itself as one of the very best programs in the country and a national champion, Madison went 86-130, with only 2 winning seasons. They hadn't made the NCAA tournament since 1947 and were 8-19 the year before I got to MU. To this kid from Connecticut, they might as well have been UWM, a total non-entity. (We actually lost in Madison my freshman year -- snapping our 15-game streak against them -- but the game was during winter break, it wasn't on TV where I lived and I barely noticed it.)

Meanwhile, Notre Dame was in the Final Four the year before I got to Marquette, and they had truly evil players like Tripucka and Laimbeer. Effen hated those guys. And DePaul was in its basketball renaissance, with Aguirre & Co.; they knocked a really good, Worthen-led MU team out of the NCAAT my freshman year. Heck, during my time at Marquette, Loyola and Detroit seemed like bigger "rivals" than Wisconsin.

So yes, the facts that 1. I wasn't from anywhere near Wisconsin and 2. Madison was horrible at basketball made it not much of a rivalry to me at the time.

Obviously, after Wisconsin got good, and with the internet age making it possible to watch every game and trash-talk across the miles, then it became a big-time rivalry in my eyes.

But I have to say I'm still thrilled we're gonna play ND again! If it's at all possible for me to get to Milwaukee (and to get a ticket), I'm gonna do everything I can to go to next season's game. I hope Shaka has our guys ready to whip up a whuppin'!!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2021, 12:47:56 PM »
In the 90s and early 2000's, Cincinnati and Louisville were the big games.  Cincy because they were the big dog, and Louisville because of all the epic games.

Cincy in C-USA was like Ohio State football in the Big Ten: everybody wanted to knock them off, but the alpha school didn't think of it as a rivalry like the underdog schools.

And Louisville had many bigger rivals, like Kentucky and Cincy, and Marquette wasn't viewed at that level. It was more of an understated rivalry.

Since DePaul sucks, and Marquette doesn't play Notre Dame and Louisville regularly, Wisconsin fills the rivalry void. But that really only started 20 years ago when Bo Ryan took over the Badgers.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #119 on: December 05, 2021, 12:58:36 PM »
Since DePaul sucks, and Marquette doesn't play Notre Dame and Louisville regularly, Wisconsin fills the rivalry void. But that really only started 20 years ago when Bo Ryan took over the Badgers.

Very well stated.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2021, 02:45:53 PM »
In the 90s and early 2000's, Cincinnati and Louisville were the big games.  Cincy because they were the big dog, and Louisville because of all the epic games.

Cincy in C-USA was like Ohio State football in the Big Ten: everybody wanted to knock them off, but the alpha school didn't think of it as a rivalry like the underdog schools.

And Louisville had many bigger rivals, like Kentucky and Cincy, and Marquette wasn't viewed at that level. It was more of an understated rivalry.

I think the Wisconsin rivalry status dates back earlier--Kevin O'Neill even remarked that he was amazed at the alums that cared more about beating Wisconsin (and Notre Dame) and any other game on the schedule.   And even before that, things were heating up when Wisconsin beat us for the services of Ricky Olson.  My observation is that the rivalry with UW was already there in the late 70's early 80's, but got heated during the stretch of 8 straight UW wins in the late 80's/early 90's. 

And while UC and Louisville generated interest,  the atmosphere never reached UW/ND/DePaul levels.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2021, 02:58:03 PM »
100% correct to both of these points.

And not only that, but Wisconsin sucked for decades. For something to feel like a real "rivalry," the teams have to be at least close to on par.

By the time I arrived at Marquette in 1978, we had won 15 straight against Wisconsin, mostly decisively. During that span, while Marquette established itself as one of the very best programs in the country and a national champion, Madison went 86-130, with only 2 winning seasons. They hadn't made the NCAA tournament since 1947 and were 8-19 the year before I got to MU. To this kid from Connecticut, they might as well have been UWM, a total non-entity. (We actually lost in Madison my freshman year -- snapping our 15-game streak against them -- but the game was during winter break, it wasn't on TV where I lived and I barely noticed it.)

Meanwhile, Notre Dame was in the Final Four the year before I got to Marquette, and they had truly evil players like Tripucka and Laimbeer. Effen hated those guys. And DePaul was in its basketball renaissance, with Aguirre & Co.; they knocked a really good, Worthen-led MU team out of the NCAAT my freshman year. Heck, during my time at Marquette, Loyola and Detroit seemed like bigger "rivals" than Wisconsin.

So yes, the facts that 1. I wasn't from anywhere near Wisconsin and 2. Madison was horrible at basketball made it not much of a rivalry to me at the time.

Obviously, after Wisconsin got good, and with the internet age making it possible to watch every game and trash-talk across the miles, then it became a big-time rivalry in my eyes.

But I have to say I'm still thrilled we're gonna play ND again! If it's at all possible for me to get to Milwaukee (and to get a ticket), I'm gonna do everything I can to go to next season's game. I hope Shaka has our guys ready to whip up a whuppin'!!
i was at MU 82-86. It wasn’t that UW was getting better at basketball, we sucked. With the parity came the hate. I’d say there’s been healthy hate since. Living in WI, RED is suffocating. They are Walmart. They are everywhere, and they have no shame. I mean, go to church on Sunday, there’s a guy wearing a ‘92 Rose Bowl sweatshirt. At yesterday’s game, Badger-guy said to me…I think you have a nice little team.  Hate!! But, sometimes…a little hate is ok.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2021, 02:58:24 PM »
I think the Wisconsin rivalry status dates back earlier--Kevin O'Neill even remarked that he was amazed at the alums that cared more about beating Wisconsin (and Notre Dame) and any other game on the schedule.   And even before that, things were heating up when Wisconsin beat us for the services of Ricky Olson.  My observation is that the rivalry with UW was already there in the late 70's early 80's, but got heated during the stretch of 8 straight UW wins in the late 80's/early 90's. 

And while UC and Louisville generated interest,  the atmosphere never reached UW/ND/DePaul levels.

I agree with this.  Again geography matters.  As a kid growing up in the MKE burbs in the 90s, I DETESTED UW basketball.   I remember it being contentious with kids in my classes in middle school. To the point that I remember celebrating Alford and Missouri St beating Dick Bennett in the tourney.  And that was before the FF run.  Bo just made it worse

tower912

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2021, 03:02:16 PM »
It did not impact me when I was in school 84-88.  Not from Wisconsin.   Games usually took place during winter break.  I had season tix all 4 years and never went to a Wiscy game.    Learned to hate them later.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2021, 03:25:46 PM »
Yep.  Not a rivalry.   :o :o :o

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback