[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Trypto-phantom menace  (Read 8043 times)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Re: Trypto-phantom menace
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2021, 10:43:10 AM »
Positives: We won and, unlike two of our BE brethren, were never in danger of losing. Justin is a leader we can depend upon. Stevie had a chance to show off some great moves.

Negatives: 19 TOs. Shaka needing to bench the starters after a 7-0 run by NI. Morsell and Kolek looking just OK vs. a #300 something team. Edit: I'm being kind regarding Morsell and Kolek.

We really need to play better vs. Jackson State. If not, the UW, KS, and UCLA games may be no fun at all.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 10:48:45 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2021, 11:01:11 AM »

OMP reminds me of a young Juan Anderson. Lots of activity but not a lot to show for it.

Agree with pretty much all of your post, but I had this same thought exactly. OMP has a lot of athleticism (similar to Juan), and an do a little bit of everything (also like Juan), but seems to get himself into trouble right now when he goes full speed.

Mind isn't 100% caught up with his athleticism yet. Someone that can develop and has a very high ceiling. Let's see if he puts in the long term effort to refine his game and abilities like Toscano-Anderson.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2021, 11:08:51 AM »
Agree with pretty much all of your post, but I had this same thought exactly. OMP has a lot of athleticism (similar to Juan), and an do a little bit of everything (also like Juan), but seems to get himself into trouble right now when he goes full speed.

Mind isn't 100% caught up with his athleticism yet. Someone that can develop and has a very high ceiling. Let's see if he puts in the long term effort to refine his game and abilities like Toscano-Anderson.

Yep-yep.

It should be noted that although I am not saying Juan didn't put in the effort while he was at Marquette, the light bulb didn't really go on until he spent years post-Marquette learning and growing as a player.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2021, 11:16:00 AM »
Positives: We won and, unlike two of our BE brethren, were never in danger of losing. Justin is a leader we can depend upon. Stevie had a chance to show off some great moves.

Negatives: 19 TOs. Shaka needing to bench the starters after a 7-0 run by NI. Morsell and Kolek looking just OK vs. a #300 something team. Edit: I'm being kind regarding Morsell and Kolek.

We really need to play better vs. Jackson State. If not, the UW, KS, and UCLA games may be no fun at all.

“We need to step it up against New Hampshire otherwise U of I and Charleston classic are going to be no fun.”

Fact is, these buy games tell us very little about quality of team/team mentality. Win the game and move on.

I’d be much more concerned if we struggled the last few games playing against levels of competition we’ll be  competing against for the remainder of the season.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2021, 11:31:41 AM »
“We need to step it up against New Hampshire otherwise U of I and Charleston classic are going to be no fun.”

Fact is, these buy games tell us very little about quality of team/team mentality. Win the game and move on.

I’d be much more concerned if we struggled the last few games playing against levels of competition we’ll be  competing against for the remainder of the season.

I do not think that the first 2 buy games and the second 2 buy games are equal in the sense that in the first ones we had a ragtag army of newbies and in last night's game and Jackson State we have some experience and success under our belts. Morsell and Kolek not playing well against a very weak team is, to me, a legitimate area of concern. With that said, its early in the season and hey, we won.

Your third sentence is fair and we agree. I'm not ready to dismiss last night's performance-yet.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

panda

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2021, 11:46:44 AM »
I do not think that the first 2 buy games and the second 2 buy games are equal in the sense that in the first ones we had a ragtag army of newbies and in last night's game and Jackson State we have some experience and success under our belts. Morsell and Kolek not playing well against a very weak team is, to me, a legitimate area of concern. With that said, its early in the season and hey, we won.

Your third sentence is fair and we agree. I'm not ready to dismiss last night's performance-yet.

Well good thing they both played great against all of the real teams we’ve played so far.

You’re manufacturing concern.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2021, 11:59:19 AM »
Relax folks.

They won! On to JSU and let’s win again!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2021, 12:09:04 PM »
Well good thing they both played great against all of the real teams we’ve played so far.

You’re manufacturing concern.
They both played well against the other "real teams" except SBU. Have you forgotten their performances in that game? I am expecting both of them to be major contributors this season and thought that they would both put on a show after the SBU game but they did not. We need them to play well in all games- even buy games-so that we know we can count on them.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 12:18:51 PM by Scoop Snoop »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2021, 12:12:43 PM »
Relax folks.

They won! On to JSU and let’s win again!
Yo brother dgies, this is Scoop, no time to RELAX.
Goal is National Championship

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2021, 12:24:35 PM »
What the poor performances of Morsell and Kolek meant is that the young guys got more run.    Which is far more important long term.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/401365033

Box score
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 12:26:49 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

panda

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2021, 01:27:18 PM »
They both played well against the other "real teams" except SBU. Have you forgotten their performances in that game? I am expecting both of them to be major contributors this season and thought that they would both put on a show after the SBU game but they did not. We need them to play well in all games- even buy games-so that we know we can count on them.

O Max’s overall performance is much more concerning than what you claim to be an issue. You’re fishing for complaints to make yourself sound like an expert. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2021, 04:37:23 PM »
O Max’s overall performance is much more concerning than what you claim to be an issue. You’re fishing for complaints to make yourself sound like an expert.

Not pretending to be an expert at all (I'm not!) -just expressed an opinion that you disagree with but I will take any "complaints" offered. I'm done here. Have a nice evening.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 04:39:53 PM by Scoop Snoop »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2021, 05:13:12 PM »
I’m not seeing what OMax is bringing to warrant a starting position. I would like to see a change come Saturday.

Guy has the body and athleticism, needs time to find his game still.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2021, 06:55:18 PM »
I’m not seeing what OMax is bringing to warrant a starting position. I would like to see a change come Saturday.

Guy has the body and athleticism, needs time to find his game still.

Who takes his spot?

panda

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2021, 06:59:46 PM »
Who takes his spot?

That’s the tough part. Omax doesn’t have much business playing at this point, but there isn’t a natural replacement.

Kam and Jop are the two most likely candidates. I think if you’re looking long term, Joplin should take those minutes. He is behind Kam progress wise, but he will grow into the role and add more length/strength than Kam can at this point playing the 3/4 spot in Shaka’s system.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2021, 07:00:02 PM »
Embiid, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2021, 07:16:39 PM »
Who takes his spot?

Exactly.

Would’ve hoped Greg fills that role, but he’s not up to speed either.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2021, 07:29:44 PM »
That’s the tough part. Omax doesn’t have much business playing at this point, but there isn’t a natural replacement.

Kam and Jop are the two most likely candidates. I think if you’re looking long term, Joplin should take those minutes. He is behind Kam progress wise, but he will grow into the role and add more length/strength than Kam can at this point playing the 3/4 spot in Shaka’s system.

I'd go with Joplin. Still provides some length, has a nice outside shot and seems pretty comfortable out there. We'll take some bad with the good and maybe OMax will find his way, but he really isn't bringing much to the table right now. I like Kam's scoring punch off the bench, which is part of the reason I'd go with Joplin ahead of him.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2021, 08:06:51 PM »
It may not jump off the screen, but OMax keeps them from getting into a lot of bad mismatches defensively. Joplin isn't there yet.

If they go three guards I'd probably start Kam.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2021, 08:26:34 PM »
It may not jump off the screen, but OMax keeps them from getting into a lot of bad mismatches defensively. Joplin isn't there yet.

If they go three guards I'd probably start Kam.

Agree. As some said here, body is a bit ahead of his mind on offense. But his length creates mismatches.

I expect a lot from him still this season. See a Trent Lockett trajectory on his growth as the season goes (in terms of "oh man he sucks" to "glue guy" forum opinions).
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2021, 09:15:29 PM »
End of the day, MU has a good defense and a poor offense so far. Not unexpected with this roster and for this time of the season.

That said, teams have learned to pinch our guards because MU doesn't have a threat anywhere else. The half court offense right now is ugly and getting uglier. Stevie saved us yesterday as he found the penetration lanes.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2021, 09:43:15 PM »
I wasn’t trying to insinuate that OMax should be starting, because I don’t think he should. I just honestly didn’t know who takes his spot.

Nothing against him but I think he’s still working his way into becoming a productive player, and I think the team is very stagnant offensively with him on the court. He isn’t the only culprit, but I would argue that he is a big part of the reason for the slow offensive starts.
Obviously his size and rebounding ability help him keep that starting role.

I do see Shaka making a change soon, and I would wager it’s either Stevie or Oso.
Obviously neither is a natural change. With Stevie, the team goes small with Mitchell and Kolek handling the ball, Morsell at the 3 in the 3 guard system, and JL/Kur up front.
Darryl then has to guard bigger guys and all 3 guards carry heavier rebounding responsibilities, which I think might be a good thing.

Problem with Oso is that he’s Kurs direct backup and Kuath has been playing less than 20 mpg. Good news there is that MU becomes even bigger, with JL becoming a 3. Kur hasn’t been fouling out so if he can handle the extra minutes this might not be a bad move, Oso has earned it with his play.

I like Kam off the bench for scoring, same with Joplin and Greg. I like OMax off the bench until he settles in more as the season progresses and maybe he wins back a starting gig down the line.

My vote would be for Stevie to start. I think this MU team plays better with the two good pg/ball handlers. I think having Mitchell start would jumpstart the offense from the tip- Lewis, Kur, and Morsell would get better looks and shots with both Stevie and Kolek in the lineup and both guys have shown they can score/create on their own if things go stagnant.

Mitchell is also an excellent defender. He’s shown the deer in headlights in some games, has had the “he doesn’t quite belong just yet” look at times, but he’s also shown some really good poise at times as well.

If he starts off shaky/looking lost or overmatched you can go bigger with OMax, or bring in Greg/Kam and let Kolek handle it more. If he starts off well and Kolek looks off you can replace him instead.

The “it doesn’t matter who starts” crowd will argue it doesn’t matter, and it can change again as the season progresses, but for this team at this time I think Mitchell replacing OMax in the starting lineup would make a positive difference.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2021, 10:29:15 PM »
It really DOESN’T matter much who starts.

And I’m also gonna trust the coach who sees these guys in practice every day.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2021, 11:09:05 PM »
It really DOESN’T matter much who starts.

And I’m also gonna trust the coach who sees these guys in practice every day.

Ok fine, trust Shaka over me.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2021, 06:58:32 AM »
In post game interviews it is obvious Shaka really likes what OMax brings and really trusts him. As long as that is the case it doesn't matter what anyone thinks. Shaka will keep playing him as he has.
Goal is National Championship

feedback