[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Georgetown is pitiful  (Read 7915 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Georgetown is pitiful
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2022, 01:38:58 PM »

By the time it’s Wojo’s turn DeGiola won’t have a dime left.

Wojo can lend him some.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2022, 01:54:33 PM »
Wouldn't poaching head coaches from other programs in the Big East be rather frowned upon?  It seems like it would be.

I have no idea but Cooley & Willard are both uniquely qualified to win in the Big East and Georgetown would be a step up for each.

As for Danny Hurley, he has either the best or the second best job in the conference, he's not stepping down to Georgetown.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2022, 02:00:29 PM »
I don’t really mind seeing them suffer. They seemed to want no part of the “new” big east when it first formed whereas Villanova embraced the conference and has since dominated almost every year.

The bold part above is just not true.  Their results on the court have not followed, but Georgetown was instrumental in the formation of the new Big East.  They pretty much led everyone out the door of the old league, and DeGioia was basically in charge of putting the new league together.

https://web.archive.org/web/20121217143046/http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4380#more-4380

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/catholic-7-schools-including-georgetown-charting-a-new-yet-familiar-path/2013/02/16/f1eaa870-7876-11e2-aa12-e6cf1d31106b_story.html

The VU Hoops blog has a good chronicle about the formation of the new league.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 02:02:54 PM by MDMU04 »
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2022, 02:25:38 PM »
Wojo can lend him some.

Crean can pledge 1,000,000 dimes to Wojo's cause.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2022, 02:54:03 PM »
I have no idea but Cooley & Willard are both uniquely qualified to win in the Big East and Georgetown would be a step up for each.

As for Danny Hurley, he has either the best or the second best job in the conference, he's not stepping down to Georgetown.
I'm not sure Georgetown is a step up for either right now, unless they throw an absurd amount of money at those guys and it doesn't appear Georgetown is willing to do that. Not sure why either of them would take a massive rebuild job like that given the other job openings they've been linked to.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2022, 02:59:39 PM »
Yeah maybe with the exception of DePaul, I don't see any program being THAT much a step up that it would be worth the hassle of moving, etc.

Chris Beard went from Texas Tech to Texas last off season.  When was the last time a high major, intra-conference coaching move was made before that?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2022, 03:02:31 PM »
The bold part above is just not true.  Their results on the court have not followed, but Georgetown was instrumental in the formation of the new Big East.  They pretty much led everyone out the door of the old league, and DeGioia was basically in charge of putting the new league together.

https://web.archive.org/web/20121217143046/http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4380#more-4380

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/catholic-7-schools-including-georgetown-charting-a-new-yet-familiar-path/2013/02/16/f1eaa870-7876-11e2-aa12-e6cf1d31106b_story.html

The VU Hoops blog has a good chronicle about the formation of the new league.

Umm...no. Georgetown was too busy shaking their metaphorical cans in the faces of every ACC school hoping to get invited to round out the basketball half of their conference to 16 with Notre Dame. Nova and Marquette's ADs were the ones who took the lead. Georgetown eventually fell in line when the ACC didn't bite.

I say that rudely, but I really don't blame Georgetown. Every single Big East school at the time would have accepted an ACC invite if it had been floated their way.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2022, 03:24:56 PM »
Umm...no. Georgetown was too busy shaking their metaphorical cans in the faces of every ACC school hoping to get invited to round out the basketball half of their conference to 16 with Notre Dame. Nova and Marquette's ADs were the ones who took the lead. Georgetown eventually fell in line when the ACC didn't bite.

I say that rudely, but I really don't blame Georgetown. Every single Big East school at the time would have accepted an ACC invite if it had been floated their way.

This is the narrative I remember as well. And that Marquette was instrumental in suggesting Creighton for the new version of the BE. I was a little miffed about GT looking to get into the ACC but like you, I could not blame them for trying. It was a scary time.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2022, 03:57:06 PM »

This is false. Georgetown never pursued an ACC invite against those within the alumni community who had kicked the can on a Georgetown basketball/Navy tandem for ACC football, or for Georgetown to make a binding commitment to upgrade its I-AA football team and move games to FedEx Field. It never had the support of Georgetown's president.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 03:59:04 PM by DFW HOYA »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2022, 04:00:39 PM »
This is false. Georgetown never pursued an ACC invite against those within the alumni community who had kicked the can on a Georgetown basketball/Navy tandem for ACC football, or for Georgetown to make a binding commitment to upgrade its I-AA football team and move games to FedEx Field. It never had the support of Georgetown's president.

What's your coaching search Top 5?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2022, 06:48:24 PM »

Lots of guys tell their friends that they weren't really interested when the hot girl at the bar turns them down.  Their friends usually believe them
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 09:11:26 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2022, 06:50:43 PM »
Lots of guys tell their friends that they weren't really interested when the hot girl at the bar turns then down.  Their friends usually believe them

Sounds like a Badger recruiting thread.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2022, 07:46:34 PM »

😂

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2022, 08:53:44 PM »
Lol.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2022, 10:09:52 PM »
This is the narrative I remember as well. And that Marquette was instrumental in suggesting Creighton for the new version of the BE. I was a little miffed about GT looking to get into the ACC but like you, I could not blame them for trying. It was a scary time.

Marquette is the reason Creighton is in the BE over SLU. Creighton's President is a MU grad and had been the Associate VP and then Associate Provost at MU and Creighton still held a grudge against SLU for their weaseling out of an agreement to join the MVC with them when CUSA fell apart. Not only did they not join, but the then SLU President went in and insulted every MVC school academically and athletically.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2022, 08:46:08 AM »
Marquette is the reason Creighton is in the BE over SLU. Creighton's President is a MU grad and had been the Associate VP and then Associate Provost at MU and Creighton still held a grudge against SLU for their weaseling out of an agreement to join the MVC with them when CUSA fell apart. Not only did they not join, but the then SLU President went in and insulted every MVC school academically and athletically.

I did not know about SLU's president burning bridges. University presidents are expected to be smarter than the average person.

Getting back to GT- I'm having a difficult time believing that Ewing can actually survive after this nuclear bomb of a season. If GT was in any other conference I would not care, but they are an embarrassment to the BE as well as a drag on NET ratings for the other teams. We do not need another spectacle like the Mullin "resignation" and I am still hopeful such a scenario would not be repeated.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2022, 02:26:55 PM »
We do not need another spectacle like the Mullin "resignation" and I am still hopeful such a scenario would not be repeated.
Chris Mullin resigned after the death of his older brother.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2022, 02:43:06 PM »
Chris Mullin resigned after the death of his older brother.

I had forgotten about that (and now recall he took that very hard), but do you really think that's the reason he resigned?