2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 15, 2024, 10:20:46 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

[Paint Touches] Shaka reaffirms MU commitment by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 15, 2024, 07:07:35 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek or Carton?  (Read 6659 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Kolek or Carton?
« on: November 20, 2021, 12:52:26 PM »
Sorry, I had to.

mu.n8ball

• Starter
Re: Kolek or Carton?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 12:55:58 PM »
Carton is the better individual player. Kolek so far has been a nicer floor general. though, carton in Shaka's system might have been nice if he bought in. he's quicker than TK, but not as pass first.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 01:01:40 PM »
Karim Mane
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 01:05:22 PM »
Niv Berkowitz.  Or Kevin Menard.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 01:05:45 PM »
For this season only? It’s a pretty tough call. I’m too biased, because I really like Kolek.

For long term? Kolek and it’s not close. Carton would have only been one more season and always had eyes on the next level.

MU has had early success, but it’s still a rebuilding year. That’s why I’m not at all mad Garcia and Carton are no longer here. For the same reason, I would have liked to see more of Mitchell than Elliot last night.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 01:08:08 PM by CountryRoads »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 01:16:48 PM »
For this season only? It’s a pretty tough call. I’m too biased, because I really like Kolek.

For long term? Kolek and it’s not close. Carton would have only been one more season and always had eyes on the next level.

MU has had early success, but it’s still a rebuilding year. That’s why I’m not at all mad Garcia and Carton are no longer here. For the same reason, I would have liked to see more of Mitchell than Elliot last night.

Agree 100%  Well said.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 01:19:22 PM »
Does anyone believe Carton would see the court under Shaka? It would of taken a total personality change for Carton to see the floor. Anything less than a 100% effort all the time just will not cut it under Shaka.

DrJay24

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 01:22:21 PM »
Not even close. TK by a country roads mile.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 01:31:05 PM »
Does anyone believe Carton would see the court under Shaka? It would of taken a total personality change for Carton to see the floor. Anything less than a 100% effort all the time just will not cut it under Shaka.

I think he would have been fine. It would have been interesting to see him play for Shaka. He had all of the athletic tools and I think he would have bought in.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 01:34:46 PM »
I think Carton and Garcia both have the tools if they had the buy in.  As happy as I am to see Jamal do well at Oakland, the thought of him in a dribble drive offense gives me shivers.  The dribbling and driving part.   Standing weakside and catching passes off of penetration would be ok.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 01:49:28 PM »
I wouldn’t trade anyone on this current team for any of the players who let.  The sum seems greater than the parts right now.   Building a real team that exceeds the talent of the individuals is hard to come by and wouldn’t want to substitute anyone.   Additionally, despite their talents, none of those players who left seemed to play below their talent level rather than at or above it.  That probably was mostly Wojo but I’m not heartbroken they are gone.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 01:50:25 PM »
Does anyone believe Carton would see the court under Shaka?

Yes.

It would of taken a total personality change for Carton to see the floor.

You know nothing about Carton. His personality would have been fine for Shaka, who is an excellent motivator and ego-handler.

Anything less than a 100% effort all the time just will not cut it under Shaka.

You apparently didn't watch Carton play last season. He has a good motor, he played very hard, and Shaka would have made very good use of him.

DJ has a lot of talent. He needed it nurtured. Shaka would have been just what the doctor ordered for him.

That's what I choose to believe based on everything I know.

You are free to choose to keep tearing down a young man who gave his all to our alma mater's basketball team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2021, 01:58:38 PM »
Just like the other thread.

I think DJ woulda fit just fine. But again, if I had to choose I would absolutely take the guy we have.

In the Kolek vs DJ case it really comes down to the fact one guy should be here 4 years. The other was gonna be 1 tops.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2021, 02:18:48 PM »
This question is like asking would you prefer Ginger or Mary Ann . Both Beautiful in their own ways .

Ginger is great for a fling .

Mary Ann is great for a relationship .

DJ=Ginger
TK=Maryann
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2021, 02:48:09 PM »
Iz dis evan a question, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2021, 06:48:09 PM »
Just like the other thread.

I think DJ woulda fit just fine. But again, if I had to choose I would absolutely take the guy we have.

In the Kolek vs DJ case it really comes down to the fact one guy should be here 4 years. The other was gonna be 1 tops.

This is why I think the real choice was DJ vs Morsell. Morsell doesn’t come here if DJ was still here. Both would’ve been here for this year only. Morsell a much more complete player, gets after on both ends of the court. Calming influence and clutch free throw shooter in end of game situations.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2021, 07:17:07 PM »
Gang, I want guy who want to be here playing for our Warriors.

I wish DJ, Dawson, Theo, Jamal, Kobe et al the best and hope they do good things in their new circumstances.

But in the words of Kevin O’Leary from Shark Tank, “You are dead to me…”

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2021, 07:23:30 PM »
I wish both players well.  Carton had multiple challenges that prevented us from seeing what he could become.  To paraphrase Kolek in that radio interview from last night, there are athletes who play basketball and there are basketball players.  Kolek is a player.  At this point, Carton is an athlete who has the potential to become a basketball player.

VanderBlueFanClub

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2021, 08:01:25 PM »
I have to pick Kolek, he has a way better  jump shot and is a way better floor general. The only thing I would rather have Carton for is length and defense in the press. Also Carton had the worst attitude, there was reports of him blaming everyone except himself which you do not want in a locker room.
2016-2017 G-League MVP - Vander Blue

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2021, 08:25:52 PM »
Adios, and da horse he road inn on, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2021, 08:28:15 PM »
DJ Carton stuck around when Shaka was hired, then quit and left campus in the middle of the night.

Kolek wants to be here.

Is this really even a question???
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2021, 08:29:48 PM »
Gang, I want guy who want to be here playing for our Warriors.
/thread

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2021, 08:30:37 PM »
Not even close. TK by a country roads mile.

After last night’s sing along? Hell, I’m thinking of renaming my 16 year old from Travis to Tyler.

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2021, 10:08:03 PM »
Niv Berkowitz.  Or Kevin Menard.

Never thought I see Kevin Menard brought up here. He was my high school coach for a bit. Called all our plays based off Marquette names.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2021, 11:04:12 PM »
Yes.

You know nothing about Carton. His personality would have been fine for Shaka, who is an excellent motivator and ego-handler.

You apparently didn't watch Carton play last season. He has a good motor, he played very hard, and Shaka would have made very good use of him.

DJ has a lot of talent. He needed it nurtured. Shaka would have been just what the doctor ordered for him.

That's what I choose to believe based on everything I know.

You are free to choose to keep tearing down a young man who gave his all to our alma mater's basketball team.

Here’s what I know. When Shaka was first hired Carton was all over Twitter about being all in to playing for Shaka. Once Shaka hit town, met with the players and told them what he thought of their games and what his expectations were for them - Carton pulled a 180 and hit the bricks. Hmmm…My reading of the tea leaves? Shaka was very much OK with Carton leaving, maybe even nudged him a bit towards the door.

feedback