[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Justin Lewis or Garcia Dawson  (Read 7577 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Justin Lewis or Garcia Dawson
« on: November 20, 2021, 10:56:50 AM »
I am really glad we have Justin and UNC has Garcia. I was never really impressed with Garcia. I'm not even sure if Garcia would fit the style of play.

Markusquette

• All American
Re: Justin Lewis or Garcia Dawson
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 11:11:46 AM »
Well obvious bias at this point but Lewis is a bruiser. Garcia isn't big enough to really take and initiate contact so he has to play a finesse style. I'm happy to say I'd much rather have Kuath and Lewis than John and Dawson in the front court.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 11:11:56 AM »
I am really glad we have Justin and UNC has Garcia. I was never really impressed with Garcia. I'm not even sure if Garcia would fit the style of play.

Shaka recruited him at Texas, so I think he would have fit fine
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

VanderBlueFanClub

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 11:24:55 AM »
I think Garcia is too soft to play Shaka's style of basketball. I think this was the main reason for his transfer along with Kur and OMP coming in.
2016-2017 G-League MVP - Vander Blue

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 11:40:26 AM »
I think Garcia is too soft to play Shaka's style of basketball. I think this was the main reason for his transfer along with Kur and OMP coming in.

Then why did Shaka recruit him when at Texas?
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 11:46:10 AM »
Both good players.  Rooting for Lewis more at the  moment.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 11:47:44 AM »
Then why did Shaka recruit him when at Texas?
They weren't exactly playing this style at Texas.  I like Garcia fine and would be happy if he was still here, but I think Justin is a better fit for this team and probably an as good or better player right now.  I admit to not having watched Garcia this year, but Lewis is certainly better this year than Garcia was last year.  Garcia was skilled but lacked athleticism.  It is easier to improve your skills than it is to improve your athleticism, at least I think so.  So I think Justin will be the better player long term if he isn't already.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 11:55:54 AM »
I'd rather have Garcia and Lewis, but I'm kinda crazy that way.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 12:03:36 PM »
The obvious question is Lewis Justin or Garcia Dawson?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 12:06:14 PM »
They weren't exactly playing this style at Texas.  I like Garcia fine and would be happy if he was still here, but I think Justin is a better fit for this team and probably an as good or better player right now.  I admit to not having watched Garcia this year, but Lewis is certainly better this year than Garcia was last year.  Garcia was skilled but lacked athleticism.  It is easier to improve your skills than it is to improve your athleticism, at least I think so.  So I think Justin will be the better player long term if he isn't already.

Valid points.  I think the way this board treats a top-40 recruit as disposable is odd

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 12:07:30 PM »
If Garcia had stayed, Shaka probably put him
On Oso’s conditioning program.

Would have liked to have kept him. With the right coaching, Garcia will be really good.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 12:13:39 PM »
Exactly.  If Garcia had stayed and done the same work as everyone else, he likely would have been just fine.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2021, 12:19:51 PM »
Lewis has really improved his handles.  He's much quicker off the dribble than Garcia.  A few times last night he had some nice passes off a blow by,, including a dime for a Kuath hammer flush.  They are different players, Garcia is much taller.  It's difficult to compare but I would probably choose Lewis.  He's starting to figure it out.  He needs to be a little quicker to react with his help D and be confident in his attack game and ability to see the floor when the help comes.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 12:22:20 PM by MuggsyB »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2021, 12:26:31 PM »
Lewis has really improved his handles.  He's much quicker off the dribble than Garcia.  A few times last night he had some nice passes off a blow by,, including a dime for a Kuath hammer flush.  They are different players, Garcia is much taller.  It's difficult to compare but I would probably choose Lewis.  He's starting to figure it out.  He needs to be a little quicker to react with his help D and be confident in his attack game and ability to see the floor when the help comes.

If it’s either or, I’d have picked Lewis.  It wasn’t, though.  Hope UNC works out for Dawson and Justin seems well suited for what MUBB is doing

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2021, 12:26:47 PM »
I don’t think Dawson be as a great fit for what we are trying to do this year.

But let’s be honest, guy is talented he woulda clearly been a welcome addition to have this year.

But he isn’t here. As for the question, I would absolutely rather have Lewis if forced to choose one or the other.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2021, 12:38:04 PM »
Justin's drives are generally coming off of pump fakes after a defender closes on him.  Or othe places where the defender is not square to him.   He is clearly quicker, stronger, and more confident this season.  Doing a nice job of setting up and reading the defense.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2021, 12:47:45 PM »
Would rather have JL if I had to pick...obviously would take both.  That said, I watched Garcia play in a fast paced game against Charleston and he struggled with the pace.  Looked bad off the dribble...just not comfortable with the speed and knowing what spot he is trying to get to.  Always seemed like a great kid...wish him the best.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2021, 01:29:50 PM »
Early last year, I felt Lewis was a better NBA prospect. However, I do not think you should be saying it is Lewis vs. Garcia. I think the choice would be between Prosper and Garcia. I am not sure how Garcia fits Shaka's defensive system, but this team would be better offensively and maybe rebounding wise, if you replace Prosper with Garcia.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2021, 02:50:34 PM »
Iz dis evan a question, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2021, 03:29:07 PM »
I’d rather have them both but if I had to pick one I’d take Justin for this style.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2021, 03:36:50 PM »
Watching Dawson run the floor for UNC, I think he would've been fine, and likely would be a significant upgrade over O-Max at this point.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2021, 03:39:50 PM »
Watching Dawson run the floor for UNC, I think he would've been fine, and likely would be a significant upgrade over O-Max at this point.

7-7 to start the game but has 3 turnovers.  Kids a good player.  Justin is a good player.  But this is scoop and it’ll be a junk measuring contest between the two all year for some reason

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2021, 03:42:50 PM »
Offensively, yes.  His defense on the wing is still suspect.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2021, 03:50:12 PM »
7-7 to start the game but has 3 turnovers.  Kids a good player.  Justin is a good player.  But this is scoop and it’ll be a junk measuring contest between the two all year for some reason

Big half.  Probably not s great sign for UNC that they're still down 6.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2021, 03:58:29 PM »
Big half.  Probably not s great sign for UNC that they're still down 6.

Purdue is better