[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Beating the BLUE! man group.  (Read 7906 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: Beating the BLUE! man group.
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2022, 03:27:30 PM »
I love this team. That’s it. That’s the post.
No Finish Line

connie

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2022, 03:43:08 PM »
Average offensive possession length was 14.3 seconds in out of conference and is 16.0 in conference. That is 12% slower for the last six games.

I think the dribble penetration (read: paint touches) and the cuts in the paint have been sharper since the Creighton loss, in addition to your points.

While the pace is still fast, I think it's been much more purposeful. Thus, our three best offensive efficiency games by far. Kudos to the coaching staff.
"Purposeful."  I like that.  I think it applies more broadly to this year's team.  They are doing things even I, with my limited ability, can tell are "purposeful."
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2022, 04:58:01 PM »
Average offensive possession length was 14.3 seconds in out of conference and is 16.0 in conference. That is 12% slower for the last six games.

I think the dribble penetration (read: paint touches) and the cuts in the paint have been sharper since the Creighton loss, in addition to your points.

While the pace is still fast, I think it's been much more purposeful. Thus, our three best offensive efficiency games by far. Kudos to the coaching staff.

Quality of opposition defense (lack thereof since UCONN) also has a lot to do with the "improvement" too.  Many of our fans underestimated our offensive capabilities this season during the non-con.  As I recall you'd alleged that this year's team was worse offensively than Year 1 of Wojo/Derrick Wilson.

The shot quality Kolek creates for his teammates is incredible, no surprise here to see this team climbing the rankings for Offensive Efficiency due to his talent and the caliber of opposition defense declining.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2022, 05:21:24 PM »
Lewis still went for 13/5/3/3/1

I watched the game again paying closer attention to JL.  It wasn't his best.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2022, 05:35:03 PM »
The only thing I heard in the mic'd up from Shaka where it was even close to criticizing an individual player was when he let Kam know that his heat-check 3 was a bad shot. Shaka did it very gently, but he definitely got his point across.
Yeah, while it is nice that Kam and Jop are fearless at hoisting threes, they need to figure out what are good shots and what are not. They're freshman, it happens. I have no doubt Shaka will get them where they need to be.

Stevie, OTOH, could be a bit more aggressive IMO. He passes down a lot of open looks.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2022, 08:22:10 PM »
Quality of opposition defense (lack thereof since UCONN) also has a lot to do with the "improvement" too.  Many of our fans underestimated our offensive capabilities this season during the non-con.  As I recall you'd alleged that this year's team was worse offensively than Year 1 of Wojo/Derrick Wilson.

The shot quality Kolek creates for his teammates is incredible, no surprise here to see this team climbing the rankings for Offensive Efficiency due to his talent and the caliber of opposition defense declining.

I didn't "allege" it. I referenced Pomeroy as a statistical fact. At the time, MU was one of the four worst high major offenses through a third of the season (Creighton). I also stated "at that point" knowing MU could improve.

Also, MU played plenty of crappy defenses (and good ones) through that time. Again, Pomeroy adjusts for that.

To the topic, MU is playing much more efficiently on offense as we all have made points on. Including slowing it down, having Kolek shoot less and make less turnovers. Call it slowing it down or playing with a purpose. But it's working, thankfully. I am glad MU coincidentally had its three best games since.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2022, 09:48:49 PM »
I didn't "allege" it. I referenced Pomeroy as a statistical fact. At the time, MU was one of the four worst high major offenses through a third of the season (Creighton). I also stated "at that point" knowing MU could improve.

Also, MU played plenty of crappy defenses (and good ones) through that time. Again, Pomeroy adjusts for that.

To the topic, MU is playing much more efficiently on offense as we all have made points on. Including slowing it down, having Kolek shoot less and make less turnovers. Call it slowing it down or playing with a purpose. But it's working, thankfully. I am glad MU coincidentally had its three best games since.

Gotcha.  I don't think "slowing it down" 1.7 seconds is the reason we have played better offensively.  The ball movement has gotten much better, your point about getting into the paint more and more decisive cuts, and us ultimately making a lot of the open 3's now.  We got a lot of good looks from 3 in the first 1/3rd of the season too, we just didn't make as many.  Also, the caliber of opponent defense matters.  These last three teams ranked 46, 168, 114 in Defensive Efficiency.  In the six games prior we faced 29, 42, 18, 33, 30, and 54.

Regarding Wojo's first team being better...if I recall correctly that was by 0.7 in Offensive Efficiency.  We are now much better (62 in Offensive Efficiency) than Wojo's first team that finished 154th in KenPom.  It was evident just through watching the games that despite our struggles early offensively, this team was much better offensively.

mu.n8ball

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2022, 01:30:27 PM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2022, 01:37:37 PM »
Gotcha.  I don't think "slowing it down" 1.7 seconds is the reason we have played better offensively.  The ball movement has gotten much better, your point about getting into the paint more and more decisive cuts, and us ultimately making a lot of the open 3's now.  We got a lot of good looks from 3 in the first 1/3rd of the season too, we just didn't make as many.  Also, the caliber of opponent defense matters.  These last three teams ranked 46, 168, 114 in Defensive Efficiency.  In the six games prior we faced 29, 42, 18, 33, 30, and 54.

At the beginning of the season the young guys (especially, Kam and Stevie) thought they could dribble until they found a good shot. At a certain point, they realized how good shots come about. That is a pretty normal evolution - in HS they were able to get good shots off of the dribble.

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2022, 06:49:13 PM »
11.  We almost scored in the 50's (in a half )  :P

Stubblefield told a timeout huddle just before the half, "They're on a pace to score 100 points!"