[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What's going on with Kur?  (Read 9967 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: What's going on with Kur?
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2022, 07:01:52 PM »
I applaud Shaka for pulling a guy that’s mentally out to lunch (seems like JL had something other than the game on his mind too), but Shaka’s in-game adjustments remind me of Woj. How many lay-ups did Butler get? I fear these next two games.

Barely any after the first eight minutes

fjm

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2022, 07:14:06 PM »
Barely any after the first eight minutes

False.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2022, 07:16:05 PM »
In game adjustments?   You're joking right?  23 points in 8 minutes.   33 points in 32 minutes.   Jordan even discussed post-game about how Butler did not handle MU's adjustment well. 

Edit:   I corrected the points and times.    Mea culpa.   
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 08:18:24 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2022, 07:23:29 PM »
In game adjustments?   You're joking right?  24 points in 8 minutes.   32 points in 32 minutes.   Jordan even discussed post-game about how Butler did not handle MU's adjustment well.
Ka-Ching!  Yes good half time adjustments

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2022, 08:16:56 PM »
False.

Well they only scored 33 points after that point,  so a max of 16. 13/33 of their points were threes and fts so actually a max of 10. Even if all 10 FGs were layups,  10 layups over 32 minutes is not bad,  especially when you shut them down everywhere else
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2022, 08:21:21 PM »
False.

Butler had 7 layups or dunks in the last 32 minutes. One every 4.57 minutes. At least two of those were contested layups finishing over a MU defender.

To me, that qualifies as barely any. It certainly wasn’t a layup line.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2022, 08:25:40 PM »
Butler had 7 layups or dunks in the last 32 minutes. One every 4.57 minutes. At least two of those were contested layups finishing over a MU defender.

To me, that qualifies as barely any. It certainly wasn’t a layup line.

Fair enough. I see what you and TAMU are saying.

But I suspect “barely any” to me means a bit different than you lads. But I see your stats and that is quite the decrease.

Having said that I’m working off of 3 jack and cokes, 2 mimosas and 3 shots worth of memory pre game.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2022, 08:28:21 PM »
Fair enough. I see what you and TAMU are saying.

But I suspect “barely any” to me means a bit different than you lads. But I see your stats and that is quite the decrease.

Having said that I’m working off of 3 jack and cokes, 2 mimosas and 3 shots worth of memory pre game.

All good. Sounds like you had a hell of a NMD!

Boone

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2022, 08:46:10 PM »
Hey, GoooMarquette:

Yes, Stevie was undoubtedly the spark today. We couldn't have won without him. But his ONE decent offensive game in conference play doesn't mean I was wrong. He still has a looong way to go on that end. Nice try, though ::)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2022, 09:10:04 PM »
Hey, GoooMarquette:

Yes, Stevie was undoubtedly the spark today. We couldn't have won without him. But his ONE decent offensive game in conference play doesn't mean I was wrong. He still has a looong way to go on that end. Nice try, though ::)
Stevie has been asked to embrace the role of defensive on-ball pest, and he has played that role very well and without complaint. Per Shaka, Stevie was primarily a scorer in high school, so the fact that he has taken on this extremely different and frankly non-glorious role is a testament to him.

The defensive end never gets the accolades as the offensive end does, and I guess rightfully so in some respects, but I love what he brings to the team.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2022, 09:17:48 PM »
For sure. No argument on his defensive work, but my post was in response to his offensive game. One good game on that end does not a turnaround make.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2022, 01:35:54 AM »
I don't think Kur's been bad.  Oso has just been a better matchup in recent weeks.

We know Kur is limited offensively to dunks and floaters.  If Marquette is unable to get the screen and rolls working Oso is just the better option.  It's nice to have 2 guys at the same position that complement each other like Kur and Oso.

Also check out this mixtape of Oso if you get a few minutes.  He has a jumpshot that looks really good. He just hasn't pulled it out yet.  If he can find some consistency with a midrange jumpshot I'm pretty sure he's a future NBA guy.

Not many his size can dribble, pass, and create shots for others like Oso.  He is an unreal talent.

https://youtu.be/8Z2068pEULU

https://youtu.be/7G7x5EXG9Eg
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 01:41:46 AM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

1SE

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2022, 06:49:46 AM »
All good points, but I think Kur will be the "x" factor for any March success. Of course we need Daryll and Jlew to play well, but I think our March ceiling really depends on if Kur can be a competent big. We don't need double-double production - but we do need him to be a net positive on the defensive end and not a net negative on the offensive end.

If we reach the BET finals or the S16 I would expect Kur to have logged at least 18 minutes a game and be at least in the 4-4-2 stat line (pts-rebs-blks).
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2022, 11:44:44 AM »
Hey, GoooMarquette:

If you really believe we're effectively a man short when Stevie is in, you haven't been paying much attention. He has a ways to go, but he is hardly an empty uniform as your "3 on 5" post implied.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2022, 11:47:52 AM »
I don't think Kur's been bad.  Oso has just been a better matchup in recent weeks.

We know Kur is limited offensively to dunks and floaters.  If Marquette is unable to get the screen and rolls working Oso is just the better option.  It's nice to have 2 guys at the same position that complement each other like Kur and Oso.

Also check out this mixtape of Oso if you get a few minutes.  He has a jumpshot that looks really good. He just hasn't pulled it out yet.  If he can find some consistency with a midrange jumpshot I'm pretty sure he's a future NBA guy.

Not many his size can dribble, pass, and create shots for others like Oso.  He is an unreal talent.

https://youtu.be/8Z2068pEULU

https://youtu.be/7G7x5EXG9Eg

Didn't Torrence or Akanno have a great "mix tape" too?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2022, 11:58:36 AM »

Not sure, but Torrence and Akanno aren't 6'9" or 6'10" with the ability to dribble, defend, score, and pass.

Nor did they ever score 22 or 16 points in a Big East game while making 70% of their shots in their 1st real season in the Big East.

Oso has more than high school tape.  He's already proven to be a monster weapon at just 19 in the Big East. 

He played 5 games last year. To put that into perspective that's 8 less games than Ellis has played this year.  A grand total of 38 minutes, not even a full games worth of minutes in a season.  Yet here he is playing crunch time minutes for a tournament team, shooting 71% for his career at 66 for 93 from the floor.

Incredibly high ceiling.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 12:03:46 PM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2022, 12:01:17 PM »
1SE

I 100% believe that Kur is going to be a major factor for MU come tournament time. While I would have played him more minutes that last few games, I have zero issue with Oso as many minutes as possible right now. I believe the country will see a lot of Ku in the next few weeks.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2022, 12:06:26 PM »
GoooMarquette:

No, it’s you who hasn’t been paying attention. Until Butler, when Stevie’s been in we most certainly have been playing a man short on the offensive end (my critique did not pertain to his work on D) during conference play.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2022, 02:12:22 PM »
Akanno had a great summer tape back in LA in the summer of 20.   COVID and thre resulting myocarditis from COVID kept him from contributing to MU in the 20-21 season.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2022, 02:15:35 PM »
Akanno had a great summer tape back in LA in the summer of 20.   COVID and thre resulting myocarditis from COVID kept him from contributing to MU in the 20-21 season.

Not sure it was just covid that kept him from contributing.  He's finally starting to get a little run for Oregon state last month or so, but he's been far from an impact player.  I liked Dexter alot and was sad to see him go when he did leave, but reality is he's probably just not very good.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2022, 02:20:09 PM »
Still trying to get back to where he was prior.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2022, 04:03:08 PM »
GoooMarquette:

No, it’s you who hasn’t been paying attention. Until Butler, when Stevie’s been in we most certainly have been playing a man short on the offensive end (my critique did not pertain to his work on D) during conference play.

Keep telling yourself that. And more importantly…keep telling yourself the post aged well… 🤔

Boone

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2022, 04:21:44 PM »
Prior to Butler, Stevie was all of 7x19 from the field  (including 0x4 on 3s) in BE play, averaging 1.1 points per. Just what in the those stats suggest he was an offensive threat? Nothing.

Hopefully, Butler is the start of something big for him offensively, but you’d be wise to hold off on crowing until he strings together more than one good offensive performance in a row. Then again, you’ll probably continue to be you.  ?-(

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2022, 10:15:40 PM »
Prior to Butler, Stevie was all of 7x19 from the field  (including 0x4 on 3s) in BE play, averaging 1.1 points per. Just what in the those stats suggest he was an offensive threat? Nothing.

Hopefully, Butler is the start of something big for him offensively, but you’d be wise to hold off on crowing until he strings together more than one good offensive performance in a row. Then again, you’ll probably continue to be you.  ?-(

Why?  He doesn't need to be an offensive player this year.  His role is to get in the face of others point guards and make the hustle plays while finishing open shots.  Not everyone has to be a world beater offensively.  You need guys who play different roles to be successful.

Why try to force something he's not?  Play hard defense, be the hardest worker on the court and finish open shots at the rim.  He has a role and he's done it really well.
VIOLENCE!

Boone

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2022, 10:54:20 PM »
not asking or expecting him to be a world beater. Before Butler, he's barely contributed at all on offensive end. Hence my point about playing a man short when he's been in

feedback