Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Solutions before Mon?  (Read 6183 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Solutions before Mon?
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2021, 09:25:44 AM »
What I don't understand is the elimination of the floater, inside autobucket, or mid-range game.  Gonzaga dominated Texas last night with deuces.  Also, if you're brick city from distance it often leads to much easier hoops and the transition game on the other end.  My philosophy has always been when in doubt?  Attack. 

There's  a reason no one could guard Tony Parker back in the day because he had the count-it floater.  All I'm saying is we need a balance and there are times during the course of a game you need to stop momentum and get a bucket.  I get the analytics but I feel less anxiety when we can balance our scoring with paint points and free throws.  We also need more offensive rebs.

Curry is famously deadly with his floater ... but that shot is made more deadly because he is the greatest distance shooter ever. So you don't close out on Curry, and he kills you with 3s; you do close out and he goes by you and floats.

Harden and LaMelo, among others, have similar float games, and they are similarly helped by their ability to hit 3s.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2021, 09:35:23 AM »
What I don't understand is the elimination of the floater, inside autobucket, or mid-range game.  Gonzaga dominated Texas last night with deuces.  Also, if you're brick city from distance it often leads to much easier hoops and the transition game on the other end.  My philosophy has always been when in doubt?  Attack. 

I don't know why you think the floater has been eliminated,  it's still very much used. I don't know what an inside autobucket is. The mid range game has been minimized because it is the most inefficient shot in basketball. Players now shoot threes at almost the same rate that they do mid range jumpers so why settle for 2 when you can get 3 with close to the same likelihood that you make the shot?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2021, 09:48:02 AM »
Looks like Dodd’s is full in on the “shooting background woes of the Fiserv” affecting this team.  Sure the tired legs excuse will make an early than normal appearance from him as well this year. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2021, 09:50:22 AM »
I don't know why you think the floater has been eliminated,  it's still very much used. I don't know what an inside autobucket is. The mid range game has been minimized because it is the most inefficient shot in basketball. Players now shoot threes at almost the same rate that they do mid range jumpers so why settle for 2 when you can get 3 with close to the same likelihood that you make the shot?

I rarely see the floater a la Tony Parker.  As for the mid-range shot I understand the analytics.  But that said I'm pretty sure Wade would do just fine in today's college game if he attempted 2 triples a game and took his patented 12-15 footer.  Guys can't make the shot with any consistency from what I see.  If someone is smothering you on the three point line, and you're a prolific shooter, why not blow by the dude, rise, fire, and take the two points?  Some of these three point percentages are putrid btw. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2021, 09:56:10 AM »

I think it is like a gimme in golf. If you are within 3-ft of the hoop, you can just yell "auto bucket" and hand the ball to the ref and get your 2 points.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2021, 09:56:50 AM »
If someone is smothering you on the three point line, and you're a prolific shooter, why not blow by the dude, rise, fire, and take the two points?

A pull-up midrange jumper isn't an easy shot.

The value of attacking those closeouts comes from forcing help, IMO. Get the defense moving and let the ball find the best shot.

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2021, 10:02:20 AM »
If DWade was 20 years younger and just entering college now, he would be shooting 3s and not contested midrangers now too.  3s just were not emphasized nearly as much back then.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2021, 10:17:01 AM »
A pull-up midrange jumper isn't an easy shot.

The value of attacking those closeouts comes from forcing help, IMO. Get the defense moving and let the ball find the best shot.

True, but hear me out for a minute.

Suppose your best player and scorer has the ball in his hands in the final 5 mins of the game.  He can get a clean mid-range shot at will on every possession.  Would you rather move the defense and have someone else take the critical shots down the stretch or your best scorer?  Also, when you shoot the ball inside the paint are you not more likely to get an offensive rebound near the rim?  I'm not saying I am right but consider this scenario.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2021, 10:20:27 AM »
Looks like Dodd’s is full in on the “shooting background woes of the Fiserv” affecting this team.  Sure the tired legs excuse will make an early than normal appearance from him as well this year.

Dodd's is afraid to lose his prized courtside  seat.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2021, 10:32:22 AM »
Preach & Pray go together. But seriously what is really bothering me is the amount of silly unnecessary fouls. It is not because of the press but silly half court, most of the time almost tackling the offensive player.
You should of expected this, because that is what young players do.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2021, 10:37:34 AM »
The freshman wall will be used adnauseum.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2021, 11:17:17 AM »
I rarely see the floater a la Tony Parker.  As for the mid-range shot I understand the analytics.  But that said I'm pretty sure Wade would do just fine in today's college game if he attempted 2 triples a game and took his patented 12-15 footer.  Guys can't make the shot with any consistency from what I see.  If someone is smothering you on the three point line, and you're a prolific shooter, why not blow by the dude, rise, fire, and take the two points?  Some of these three point percentages are putrid btw.

Wade would be a different player now days.

Growing up more currently he woulda spent much more time on a 3 pt shot. And then still had his flash ability to get to the rim whenever he wanted.

That’s the game. Getting 3 instead of 2 on jumpers or “auto buckets” as you call them at the rim.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Phuket MU Fan

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2021, 11:55:46 AM »

True, but hear me out for a minute.

Suppose your best player and scorer has the ball in his hands in the final 5 mins of the game.  He can get a clean mid-range shot at will on every possession.  Would you rather move the defense and have someone else take the critical shots down the stretch or your best scorer?  Also, when you shoot the ball inside the paint are you not more likely to get an offensive rebound near the rim?  I'm not saying I am right but consider this scenario.

As the young ladies in Thailand say, “You tink too much”.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2021, 12:06:52 PM »
As the young ladies in Thailand say, “You tink too much”.

LOL.

I love Thailand but the Chiang Mai area over Phuket. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2021, 12:53:56 PM »

There's  a reason no one could guard Tony Parker back in the day because he had the count-it floater.  All I'm saying is we need a balance and there are times during the course of a game you need to stop momentum and get a bucket.  I understand the analytics but I feel less anxiety when we can balance our scoring with paint points and free throws.  We also need more offensive rebs.
My post was a joke referencing a poster here nothing to do with strategy. You're right, but it seems it has become a less desirable shot. 
Goal is National Championship

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2021, 08:26:51 PM »
MU will still go deep as they will push the activity on D. We will hit threes like we did against BC and the exhibition. The crowd will be pumped. Wouldn’t be surprised with an upset W.

Remember, Morsell has played against the Illini. A few starters have something to prove yet with their inauspicious start. Getting into a half court game is not to MU’s benefit as this is a tough D. Race them. Illini by 4 but that’s upset territory.

Ahem

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2021, 08:31:54 PM »
Looking forward to the game Monday. Let’s see what our squad can bring .
They brought a lot.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback